2018 Beer

HenryJames

As I couldn’t find any L.A. specific beers here in Dallas to consume during the game, we went with the California based Alpine Duet as we also recreated the bacon wrapped hot dogs they were selling on the street outside of last year’s USC game. Good times and hook em, bitches.

8f0de4b1cd8b092af0f894482d78e3b1.jpg

My wife will be in Houston briefly on Friday for work and I always try to work those out of town trips to have her bring me back any good local beers not available here in Dallas.

Are any of the SpindleTap IPAs (other than Hop Gusher, which I’ve already had) generally available in stores)? Any other generally available local recs? I get the impression B-52 are taproom only? Assuming Brash are likewise.

Also, she’ll be in the downtown area and then traveling back up 45 to Dallas. Any recommended store that happens to be right there on her way? Always try to make this process as simple and less ass whippy as possible for her.

TIA

19 hours ago, mdleast said:

My wife will be in Houston briefly on Friday for work and I always try to work those out of town trips to have her bring me back any good local beers not available here in Dallas.

Are any of the SpindleTap IPAs (other than Hop Gusher, which I’ve already had) generally available in stores)? Any other generally available local recs? I get the impression B-52 are taproom only? Assuming Brash are likewise.

Also, she’ll be in the downtown area and then traveling back up 45 to Dallas. Any recommended store that happens to be right there on her way? Always try to make this process as simple and less ass whippy as possible for her.

TIA

Spec's Downtown has Spindletap Houston Haze IPA generally when available and some other Spindletap seasonals. Check their website on the Smith Street location to see what is in stock. If she is going to be downtown, that may be the easiest.

4 hours and 39 breweries and 171 beers (if I counted correctly) later. GABF is so much fun. I would plan a trip around it. Culmination from Portland, Horse and Dragon from Ft Collins iirc were my favorites. Some Sasquatch stouts from a brewery in Sherman were awesome as well. I think it was call 903 or 930.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

DDH Ghost is incredible. I was in Broussard last weekend for the release. Visited Bayou Teche as well up in Arnaudville but wasn’t that impressed. 

Crazy how they were a mediocre brewery for a few years, then changed gears and are now one of the best breweries in the US. Almost everything they have released over the past 2 years has been extraordinary. Not good, not great, but extraordinary

• Like 1

Almost time for TCU vs. Texas on the field! Off the field and in this beer nerd’s beer stadium, it’s Fort Worth’s Martin House vs. Austin Beerworks. Who will win?

ece8448a7c7d4e63ad86c3089aabef33.jpg

Well, based (solely) on this “head to head” matchup, we gonna kick they ass!

Martin House’s “NE IPA” with lactose is surprisingly bitter AF. Like wreck your palate for the rest of the day unless you eat something to get rid of it.

Interestingly, this beer had an initial (& admittedly very early) Untapped rating just a few days ago of something crazy high like 4.33. It is now currently sitting at 3.88. Don’t think I’ve ever see a beer take such a ratings dive. Avoid or, if you must, only buy a single can or naybe it’s better/not bitter on tap.

• Like 1

Almost time for TCU vs. Texas on the field! Off the field and in this beer nerd’s beer stadium, it’s Fort Worth’s Martin House vs. Austin Beerworks. Who will win?

ece8448a7c7d4e63ad86c3089aabef33.jpg

Well, based (solely) on this “head to head” matchup, we gonna kick they ass!

Martin House’s “NE IPA” with lactose is surprisingly bitter AF. Like wreck your palate for the rest of the day unless you eat something to get rid of it.

Interestingly, this beer had an initial (& admittedly very early) Untapped rating just a few days ago of something crazy high like 4.33. It is now currently sitting at 3.88. Don’t think I’ve ever see a beer take such a ratings dive. Avoid or, if you must, only buy a single can or naybe it’s better/not bitter on tap.

You saw my post.

You saw the score.

You are welcome.
  • Like 1

Slightly odd question:  can anyone elaborate on Mosaic or El Dorado hops?  I like IPA and Pale Ale beers, and I've noticed that I tend to have an almost immediate negative reaction to certain IPAs.  It happened last night with a NXNW Zombie Dragon, and also recently with a Tupps IPA.  I get terrible heartburn and a bad itchy taste, almost as if I'm allergic to something in the beer, which wouldn't surprise me, as I have several food allergies.  I started looking into the hops used in those beers that cause a problem, and Mosaic seems to be the most likely candidate.

Is this a popular hop?  If it's the culprit, I'm kinda fucked when it comes to trying new beers unless I can clear them beforehand.  El Dorado was also in the NXNW brew, but I don't see it used almost anywhere else.  I think it's the Mosaic hops.

It would be just my luck to have a beer allergy.