2018 Beer

HenryJames

Guy from my office will be heading down to Austin later this week. Any good and recently released Austin-only beers (not available in Dallas) he should be looking for in stores (and that he can bring back to me)? Is Hi-C brewery only? On a related note, is ABW releasing Heavy Machinery cans these days? Seems like it’s been a while since I’ve seen them (I go down to Austin every few months or so). He’ll also be going by JK so hoping they have some decent releases this weekend. TIA

weird, because that's how i interpret this: https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?77905-Turnkey-brewery-in-Austin-TX

And by leaving austin, I mean taproom/production facility. Obviously, they will still be distributed here. But maybe i'm reading "HEY, buy our facility in East Austin" wrong.

Edited by Bottlecap

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Seriously, WTF.

I will say I noticed a huge discrepancy between the Haze County on tap at H&G which was phenomenal and a sixer I picked up a week later. It was like a completely different beer...looked like Shiner Bock and tasted like ass.

Did you get the sixer at Target?

10 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

weird, because that's how i interpret this: https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?77905-Turnkey-brewery-in-Austin-TX

And by leaving austin, I mean taproom/production facility. Obviously, they will still be distributed here. But maybe i'm reading "HEY, buy our facility in East Austin" wrong.

obviously that's what you meant by "flaming out of austin". it's such an obvious term i don't know how else it could be interpreted. yes, they are moving production to san marcos...but hasn't that been known for a while now? i also suspect the brewery will be sold pretty quickly after that facility is up and running. 

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

San Marcos appears to be taking off with a lot of businesses. A Blue Owl brewer is opening Rough House Brewing there. I guess we’ve reached the tipping point on affordability for starting up a business in Austin.

Not too bad as long as you buy land out by the airport with lots of leftover construction debris featuring exposed rebar!

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stc said:

obviously that's what you meant by "flaming out of austin". it's such an obvious term i don't know how else it could be interpreted. yes, they are moving production to san marcos...but hasn't that been known for a while now? i also suspect the brewery will be sold pretty quickly after that facility is up and running. 

Obviously that is what i meant. They are unexpectedly closing up shop in Austin and leaving. No, that was not "known for a while now". The plan was to have both facilities open, and more than that, open up a far eastside barrel room. No one said anything about closing down the austin facility and selling that taproom as a turnkey facility. This is a pretty big splash as far as Austin brewery news goes.  

1. post vague insider information, wait for people to wonder what the fuck you're talking about.

2. post the link you were dying to post in the first place that contains clear, concise information from 2.5 months ago. 

3. link to austin chronicle article announcing big shake up in austin brewing scene. 

meanwhile everyone continues buying h&g beer at their local heb as if nothing ever happened.  

8 minutes ago, stc said:

1. post vague insider information, wait for people to wonder what the fuck you're talking about.

2. post the link you were dying to post in the first place that contains clear, concise information from 2.5 months ago. 

3. link to austin chronicle article announcing big shake up in austin brewing scene. 

4. meanwhile everyone continues buying h&g beer at their local heb as if nothing ever happened.  

5. surly joke about heb being open.

Brew and can whatever experimental ipa you can before switching out the hop bill every two weeks and make sure that they’re only labeled with a batch number and you can only buy one sixer during that time before they’re gone and the next batch is in.

Profit.

To make a rebuttal on bottlecap thinking hops n grain leaving

Hops & Grain update:
Just to clear up any rumors that anyone has, Hops & Grain Brewing is not shutting down Austin operations. Earlier this year we had an opportunity to purchase a property that we've been leasing in east Austin for the past year, just a few miles east of our current location. The space is awesome, has around 4 acres of land and plenty of warehouse space. We have made no final decisions, just merely entertaining all options. We're incredibly excited about our expanded production capacity with our new San Marcos brewery and look forward to cranking up our R&D projects in Austin.

Shit, thats a bummer. Was hoping to catch you during the 12-2 session.

and the full line was "and finally, Houston’s Great Heights Brewing who are undoubtedly sick and goddamned tired of absorbing Postal Service puns, but also make such a juicy-ass IPA, it makes Beyonce’s look like Ke$ha’s."

But it got edited out because the AC proofers love to hate fun.