2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

That was intentional in a blow out game, on one of your star players 

Ah yes because Munoz (while at full speed) slides, stops himself and actively tries to avoid Correa, and then accidentally toe taps Correa’s elbow means he should be thrown at.

It’s called breaking up a double play and Munoz did everything correctly (he could still easily reach 2nd base) except Knick Correa’s elbow with the tip of his shoe.

1 hour ago, Cooder said:

Ah yes because Munoz (while at full speed) slides, stops himself and actively tries to avoid Correa, and then accidentally toe taps Correa’s elbow means he should be thrown at.

It’s called breaking up a double play and Munoz did everything correctly (he could still easily reach 2nd base) except Knick Correa’s elbow with the tip of his shoe.

Yes, because it's the Cardinals.  Everything they do is malicious.  We should have retaliated last night, but today is fine.

Edited by runthebone

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Sellers have the leverage with 1 trade deadline. If they are gonna trade him now is the time

Yeah but the Mets have demonstrated that they don't know what in the fuck they are doing - that Cano trade was beyond terrible and set them back significantly. (Though it grates on me to see JD Davis is hitting .297/.359/.483.)

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

hmm, astros pre radio some mlb talk - mets are fine with waiting until the offseason to unload Syndergaard. they're afraid of being on the wrong end of this trade

Yep. I’m getting the sense that Thor is off the table for us. Seems we are adamant on keeping Tucker. I get it in that we’ll probably have to replace both Brantley and Reddick in 2021. It’s a shame that it will be difficult to get Tucker meaningful ABs until then but it’s probably the best plan for the long term health of the franchise.

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

we traded for verlander and cole, didn't have to give up tucker or whitley. it's not over yet ? 

I think we can get a good starter without giving up either. Some combo of JBB, Beer, Bielak, Armentoeros, Kemp, Straw, and some other guys could get it done...too bad Martin's elbow blew out. 

Lunhow notes :

1. Cardinals and their fans can eat a bag of dicks <<< that was me, not lunhow

2. Kemp - White and Kemp were both high quality off the field and clubhouse. he expects to trade kemp. talking with multiple teams

3. astro minor league arms drawing attention. minor league OF depth is a strength. 

4. pressley - will be evaluated Tues in Cleveland. he's not pitching today. if he's still feeling something tues, he's going on retroactive IL. not a long term issue 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

we traded for verlander and cole, didn't have to give up tucker or whitley. it's not over yet ? 

So far all three prospects in the Verlander trade haven't made the MLB squad though two are in triple A. I will freely admit I wasn't sure what Verlander had left in the tank. He was 4 seasons from having been an all star and 5 seasons from having a sub 3.0 ERA so I'm not sure what the Tigers could have gotten for him especially in a waiver deadline deal for a 34 year old player who seemed like he was in steady decline.

Snydergaard is a lot closer to Cole in that he's 26 and Cole was 26 at the time of the trade.  He is 3 seasons removed from his best campaign as was Cole in Pittsburgh.  All four of the players we gave up for Cole have played for the Bucs this season and three of them are main rotation guys.  I don't think we have that depth to fork over this round....  But they are the Mets so I ultimately would not be shocked if they get Madoff'd.

Lunhow notes :

5. correa - glad to have him back (capt obvious), everyone is back to their natural positions. yuil is + at 1st and bregs is + at 3rd

6. peacock - when healthy, peacock will be good in BP or Starting spot. he's been successful at both

7. josh james - more testing, no damage. hopefully he'll be ready mid august. very valuable weapon. needs to be 100% for playoffs. luxury of time

8. air yordan - better LF than 1st baseman. LF is his defensive home. team likes his quickness and playing LF keeps him moving. switching to 1st is an offseason move

9. whitley - needs confidence and durability. at least 1 more start in High A. he'll move up to AA next. might make a winter ball appearance, he needs innings

10. jbb - has made some impressive recent starts. he'll get a AAA look this year. future starter 

11. bielack - teams are interested in him. quietly having a good year

Bregs natural position is shortstop...

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Kalas at it again with "yordans 1st NL park start"

No its not he started 2 games in Cincy jackass

Well that Cincy series was an abject dumpster fire so perhaps Todd drank himself into a stupor.

The crazy stat to me is 27% of Rickey Henderson's home runs were leadoff homers.  Springer is at a 21.5% clip currently which stands ahead of both Biggio & Soriano (2nd place on the all time list at 53 apiece) but he's still lagging behind Henderson by a large margin.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

hmm, astros pre radio some mlb talk - mets are fine with waiting until the offseason to unload Syndergaard. they're afraid of being on the wrong end of this trade

uh, yeah no duh.

if i was a gm i would want no part of trading with luhnow.

(although in theory, if we're that great at spotting/drafting/developing talent, grabbing guys from our system should be a good thing).

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The crazy stat to me is 27% of Rickey Henderson's home runs were leadoff homers.  Springer is at a 21.5% clip currently which stands ahead of both Biggio & Soriano (2nd place on the all time list at 53 apiece) but he's still lagging behind Henderson by a large margin.

rickey ended his career with 297 homers.  george may need to get to 400 to reach him.  not sure that's happening.

i also doubt springer will be a leadoff man his entire career, but who knows.