2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

btw, i had a long couple stretches in the car today, and the consensus among ny-style mlb analysts are that the mets should be asking for yordan in exchange for thor and that it's a fair deal for both sides.  although they seemed concerned that he may not have a natural position on an nl team, and that the mets are already shitty defensively.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

btw, i had a long couple stretches in the car today, and the consensus among ny-style mlb analysts are that the mets should be asking for yordan in exchange for thor and that it's a fair deal for both sides.  although they seemed concerned that he may not have a natural position on an nl team, and that the mets are already shitty defensively.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lucious lyon wtf GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Why not?

just judging from our past moves, we would've likely tried to extend him by now.  assuming we have and were unsuccessful, that matches what the whole world has been saying, which is that he wants to play close to home - sd/laa/lad.

the market has dictated that although things have slowed down from a depth perspective, the top end guys still are getting the money they want.  cole is the definition of a top end guy, and will be the top free agent this winter.  he'll get a monster deal from someone, and i don't see us chasing that.

i would love more than anything to be wrong.  i think he's been the best pitcher in the al this year, and the only argument might come from the guy who pitches the day before him.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

just judging from our past moves, we would've likely tried to extend him by now.  assuming we have and were unsuccessful, that matches what the whole world has been saying, which is that he wants to play close to home - sd/laa/lad.

the market has dictated that although things have slowed down from a depth perspective, the top end guys still are getting the money they want.  cole is the definition of a top end guy, and will be the top free agent this winter.  he'll get a monster deal from someone, and i don't see us chasing that.

i would love more than anything to be wrong.  i think he's been the best pitcher in the al this year, and the only argument might come from the guy who pitches the day before him.

This post makes me hate Forest Whitley a lot.

Why not?

I’ve detailed the 2020 payroll issues before. We have $120 million committed to 7 players. Correa and Springer arbitration will be at least another $25 million. Other arb and pre arb players will probably amount to another $30 million. Cole will command close to $30mm/yr on a 5 year deal. I just don’t see us with a $200mm plus payroll.

I’ve detailed the 2020 payroll issues before. We have $120 million committed to 7 players. Correa and Springer arbitration will be at least another $25 million. Other arb and pre arb players will probably amount to another $30 million. Cole will command close to $30mm/yr on a 5 year deal. I just don’t see us with a $200mm plus payroll.

To be fair, before 2017 happened, I never thought I’d see Houston win a World Series either.

also, just to add to the cole conversation - he's going to get at least 5 years, and likely 25-30+ per.  he should get more than what corbin got.  so there are definitely financial concerns that we won't be willing to meet, in my opinion.

but more than that - the astros seem like a system confident in finding pitchers that fit certain criteria, and making them better.  i think that's something that's easier to do with pitchers than hitters - who often times are who they are, and (since steroids) have a fairly predictable trajectory in the back half of their careers.

for that reason, i see us extending springer this offseason, while bringing in (either via deadline trade or 2020 fa) a roarke/wheeler type.  someone good that could become great a la morty and cole.  we are pretty arrogant when it comes to our process, and that includes value assessment.  i don't see us changing this attitude for cole.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

He’s the same pitcher we didn’t want to re up on. Couldn’t go deep in games. Can’t strike out a ton, and gave up 4 walks tonight. He is who he is.

He'd look pretty good as our 3rd/4th starter right now.  13th in MLB in innings pitched over the last 5 years but I guess he can't go deep into games.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I'm assuming they mean the actual Thor and not Syndergaard.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also, just to add to the cole conversation - he's going to get at least 5 years, and likely 25-30+ per.  he should get more than what corbin got.  so there are definitely financial concerns that we won't be willing to meet, in my opinion.

but more than that - the astros seem like a system confident in finding pitchers that fit certain criteria, and making them better.  i think that's something that's easier to do with pitchers than hitters - who often times are who they are, and (since steroids) have a fairly predictable trajectory in the back half of their careers.

for that reason, i see us extending springer this offseason, while bringing in (either via deadline trade or 2020 fa) a roarke/wheeler type.  someone good that could become great a la morty and cole.  we are pretty arrogant when it comes to our process, and that includes value assessment.  i don't see us changing this attitude for cole.  

Agree with this. I'm sure they'll make Cole an offer, but nothing about the way Luhow has operated suggests that he'll be the high-bidder on Cole this offseason. Someone is going to agree to pay Cole a lot of money not just for the next few seasons, but also for years when he is in his mid-30s. That doesn't seem like Lunhow. (I understand we extended Verlander, but that was (a) an extension, not a FA bidding war, and (b) for only 2 years, not the 5-6 that Cole will get.) I love Cole, but I just don't see it happening. There will be a lot of teams after him, and someone will spend more wantonly than Lunhow. 

As for Springer...man I hope we extend him, but I'm not super confident that happens either. He has 1 year left on his deal, so it's not like the club has much leverage with him at this point. But he'll be 31 if/when he hits free agency. Not sure how this will play out - if the last 2 offseasons are any indication, George may not have that many offers that would be much better than an extension with HOU. I hope it happens. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

here's my pitch to cole (and the only pitch i think we could possibly make that he would even entertain):

stay here for 2 more seasons (his age 29 and age 30 seasons), and we'll pay you $90mm, and we'll win a couple more world series with verlander and altuve and the gang.

then, when you're 31, we'll do another 2 year deal if you want to stay (at this point, he could easily sign a 4-5 year deal into his mid 30's with a socal team and make another $100-120mm, making his total for those 6-7 years about the same).

obviously, it's a huge risk, and it's entirely on cole, not us.  i doubt boras would even hear the end of the pitch.  he gets hurt, he declines, whatever, he could be screwed.  although he'd be screwed with a house on the beach, a smoking hot wife, and $100mm in the bank (minus taxes).  and he'll be 31 years old.  an injury would obviously fuck him over.  a decline and he still makes plenty of money playing baseball into his mid-30's.

you get verlander in his ear, and you see what happens.  bregs, tuve, pressly, jv, correa, brantley, lmj, osuna - these guys are locked up.  springer soon probably.  and obviously more talent coming up.  angels (no), padres (maybe) and dodgers (yes) can make that kind of pitch about winning, although i'm not sure the dodgers can spend like that right now.

i don't know much about cole's personality, but he's not from houston, and didn't come up with these guys.  it would be all about winning a ring and thinking we have the best chance for him to do that - assuming that we don't do it this year, and i'm not ready to make that assumption.

everything i just wrote is fan fiction, but i guess stranger things have happened.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Down on the farm, most clubs were off tonight but the Hooks played and a couple of guys doing their part to make Luhnow’s job easier
Toro with 2 HRs tonight
Beer with 1 as well
Although Bukauskas nothing special. 4.2 IP, 3 ER

i pay the least amount of attention to minor league pitching stats.

they're there to master command, to work on secondary pitches, to figure out how to manage a game.  i would rather hear scouts talk about stuff, spin rate, movement, velocity.  the competition varies so drastically from opponent to opponent, lineup to lineup, and they're likely working with almost no advanced scouting.

if one of our guys shuts out the tigers or orioles aa team for 8 innings, it doesn't really tell me anything.  if someone goes 6ip, 3er, but 12k, i'm getting a little curious.