2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

You trade Reddick in the off season to make room for Tucker, not now.  Reason being that Tucker struggles, you created a hole in your lineup just in time for the playoffs.

Meh. Reddick is already a “hole” relatively speaking, he’s got a 96 wRC+. I’m confident Tucker could exceed that. But even if not, there are other options-starting Marisnick or Straw in CF or even moving Brantley to RF and starting Diaz in LF a la Marwin in the playoffs are fine contingency plans should Tucker falter.

They don’t HAVE to move him now-they almost certainly do in the offseason to clear his salary for other guys and give Tucker a place to play. But if they can find somebody who wants to make a deal for him now, the “hole” created in the lineup by losing Reddick’s bat isn’t stopping me.

18 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

They don’t HAVE to move him now-they almost certainly do in the offseason to clear his salary for other guys and give Tucker a place to play. But if they can find somebody who wants to make a deal for him now, the “hole” created in the lineup by losing Reddick’s bat isn’t stopping me.

Yup...we talked about this a while back, but it makes no sense to go into 2020 with both Tucker and Reddick. That said, I don't think Reddick goes anywhere during the season. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

diaz alleviates this issue, sort of.  but i really like him as the swiss army knife/first man off the bench.

Yeah and if Diaz has to play everyday in the outfield, one injury to an infielder and things get dicey.  We got by with playing Straw at short, but nobody wants to see something like that in the playoffs.

Edited by kevwun

Also saying Wheeler is possible and more affordable though he’s a one year rental.

Also...just an observation...

MLB network “Intentional Talk” 4pm on MLB with Chris Rose and Kevin Millar (Austin based) is the best hour of sports talk on TV.

• Like 1

Just now, UTexasFight said:

Bauer and Strom have history working together at Driveline don’t they?

Some sort of connection like that is the only thing I can see that would make a deal like that be of any sense

I think Strom trained Bauer at the Texas Baseball Ranch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gecko said:

MLB network saying rumors Grienke from D-backs may be Houston bound.

I would love this- was wondering why he wasn’t coming up more in rumors, esp since there were rumblings for a while that the d-backs would be willing to send cash to offset that contract. 

Maybe the fact that there are 15 teams on his no-trade list has something to do with it. Just so happens that the Astros are not one of the 15 though...

Greinke makes a lot of sense. He's probably better than anyone else available, first and foremost. He'd be around for 2 more years. And you can balance how strong of a prospect package you have to send them by negotiating the money - whichever the club is more inclined to do. I really hope this happens. 

Lots of moving parts to this deal. How much money comes with him is key. Would determine the package we’d have to send back. He has a funky contract with lots of deferred salary due after his contract expires.

Yeah, $62.5M due in 2022-2026.

But is that just a cash flow timing issue for Crane? The payroll level impact for things like luxury tax would be recognized between now and end of current deal (2021) right?

Either way, that would tie up a huuuge part of your rotation and payroll the next two years in right arms in their upper 30s (JV 38 at end of 2021, Grienke 37.)

Just now, APMP said:

Unless the Brinks truck from Phoenix to Houston is massive, getting Greinke would make the 99% likelihood that Cole is gone this off-season into a cool 100%.

I think it’s already 100% and the FO knows it.   Chips going this year.   

Greinke’s contract would worry me for the ability to extend Springer.  Don’t want to become a luxury tax team.

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I think it’s already 100% and the FO knows it.   Chips going this year.   

Greinke’s contract would worry me for the ability to extend Springer.  Don’t want to become a luxury tax team.

Sure...but the better the prospects we send them, them more $$ they'll eat....

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Unless the Brinks truck from Phoenix to Houston is massive, getting Greinke would make the 99% likelihood that Cole is gone this off-season into a cool 100%.

I think it’s clear this front office would much rather overpay for 2 years of a guy than negotiate for a 4-5 year deal

Edit: preemptive “unless we’re talking about CFM, obviously” response....sigh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cooder said:

As long as Houston offers Cole 25 mill a year he’s not going anywhere.

He's not signing for $25 million per year for 3 years. Lunhow has shown no interest in signing pitchers to long-term deals. 

Cole is going to want 5-6 years minimum. Lunhow isn't going to guarantee him $25 million for his age-34 and 35 seasons this offseason. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

31 minutes ago, APMP said:

Right, but if Cole's already gone for sure, Greinke makes a lot of sense.

He's not signing for $25 million per year for 3 years. Lunhow has shown no interest in signing pitchers to long-term deals. 
Cole is going to want 5-6 years minimum. Lunhow isn't going to guarantee him $25 million for his age-34 and 35 seasons this offseason. 

That’s why I threw in the if. Cole has no desire to pitch for non-contenders. He was miserable in Pittsburgh even though they made the wild card game. He and his wife like Houston and he wants a ring. If Luhnow offered 125/5 Cole would sign. It’d be idiotic for Luhnow not to jump on that.

Just now, Cooder said:

That’s why I threw in the if. Cole has no desire to pitch for non-contenders. He was miserable in Pittsburgh even though they made the wild card game. He and his wife like Houston and he wants a ring. If Luhnow offered 125/5 Cole would sign. It’d be idiotic for Luhnow not to jump on that.

OK, but what if the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Padres, Angels, Phillies and Braves are offering him more years/money?