2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, Cooder said:

If Luhnow offered 125/5 Cole would sign. It’d be idiotic for Luhnow not to jump on that.

Of course Cole would sign for that.  But Luhnow's not gonna offer it.  And frankly, he's probably right.  Contracts like that can mess a team up for a long time and not everybody ages like JV.  Try $75M for 3 years and see if he'll bite.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Of course Cole would sign for that.  But Luhnow's not gonna offer it.  And frankly, he's probably right.  Contracts like that can mess a team up for a long time and not everybody ages like JV.  Try $75M for 3 years and see if he'll bite.

He's likely to get more than that. Corbin just got $140 million this past offseason. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

i made a post addressing this yesterday, but if you're going short term (2-3 years) you're gonna have to flirt with ~$40mm per.

you can offer 3-120 and say, hey, you'll be 31-32 and you can still get another contract.

24 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He's likely to get more than that. Corbin just got $140 million this past offseason. 

19 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

The Astros are built on finding the next Cole and letting less forward thinking organizations overpay for the last one.

Yes and yes

15 minutes ago, APMP said:

So I've seen somebody here say Cole might take 5/125, and someone else argue that a 3 year deal would need to be at $120m.

i think he'll look for 6+ years.  if you want a short deal, you gotta pay for it.  my post was in response to the 3-75 speculation.

37 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Other than a lowball offer by Luhnow/Crane, the thing that hurts our chances of signing Cole may just be a ring in 2019.

This. If he gets a ring here this year, it will be alllll about maximizing $$$ in the off-season.

If the Bauer trade discussions are true, do y’all think management talked to some players to see how they’d feel? Cole and Bregs seem to really dislike him.

Yeah, I would think they’d do/have done the same thing they did with Osuna last year.... although that seemed a bit of a token ask of the players from what I recall.

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If the Bauer trade discussions are true, do y’all think management talked to some players to see how they’d feel? Cole and Bregs seem to really dislike him.

There's no way Luhnow hasn't already talked with Hinch and the boys about this. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I doubt seriously he’s coming here. I know the local radio heads today were completely convinced it would never happen. So maybe it will. 😁