2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The Stros should be on an 11 game winning streak right now and tied with the Dodgers if not for leaving Miley in too long against Oakland and pulling Urquidy too soon against St. Louis.

Meh, can always coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

Just now, henrygandorf said:

while i generally agree, it's nice to note that we're in position to win almost every single fucking game.

Have we run out the complete lineup even once yet this year? Alvarez + Altuve + Brantly + Bregman + Chirinos + Correa + Gurriel + Springer

Also after Correa's grand slam last night the Astros have hit 10 this season.  The MLB record is 14 shared between the 2000 A's and 2006 Indians.  We are right on pace to go for 15 if we can keep it up as the season is not quite 2/3rds over.

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Have we run out the complete lineup even once yet this year? Alvarez + Altuve + Brantly + Bregman + Chirinos + Correa + Gurriel + Springer

Also after Correa's grand slam last night the Astros have hit 10 this season.  The MLB record is 14 shared between the 2000 A's and 2006 Indians.  We are right on pace to go for 15 if we can keep it up as the season is not quite 2/3rds over.

no, we haven't.

obviously correa just got back so today was the first time yordan and correa have been in the lineup together (but of course bregman sat).

we've had a shockingly low number of games with just our core 4 (last year) or core 5 (with brantley) this year.

this battle station is about to be fully operational.

Had a conversation today with a micro minority Astros owner and asked him if he had any inside scoop on the Astros trade deadline plans. He mentioned Syndergaard but also said that teams aren’t that interested in Tucker. He probably doesn’t know shit and I realize that this isn’t porta-potty girl level intelligence but thought I’d pass it along.

funny, as much as we miss morty (and we all do), i was listening to some mlb talk radio earlier, and brewers fans (now that woodruff is on the il) are bitching about how much they miss wade miley right about now.

there are only a handful of available options that are a clear upgrade from miley.  i'm coming around to the idea that we should get someone who's comparable to miley, and just go with the hot hand, including mixing in peacock - assuming he's healthy.

• Like 2

Houston Astros Top 30 Prospects For 2019
  1. Forrest Whitley, RHP. Current Level: AA. ETA: 2019.
  2. Kyle Tucker, OF. Current Level: MLB. ETA: 2018. ...
  3. Joshua James, RHP. Current Level: MLB. ETA: 2018. ...
  4. Corbin Martin, RHP. Current Level: AA. ETA: 2019. ...
  5. J.B. Bukauskas. ...
  6. Yordan Alvarez, OF. Current Level: AAA. ...
  7. Seth Beer, 1B/OF. Current Level: A+ ...
  8. Freudis Nova, SS. Current Level: Rookie. ...
Mar 25, 2019

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

funny, as much as we miss morty (and we all do), i was listening to some mlb talk radio earlier, and brewers fans (now that woodruff is on the il) are bitching about how much they miss wade miley right about now.

there are only a handful of available options that are a clear upgrade from miley.  i'm coming around to the idea that we should get someone who's comparable to miley, and just go with the hot hand, including mixing in peacock - assuming he's healthy.

Miley only pitched 81 innings for the Brewers they hardly even knew him ;-)  I actually really like him as the #4 starter. I get that we didn't want to pay Morton that much money in 2021 when he was going to be 37 but the Dodgers paid Rich Hill $48 million for 3 years going into his age 37 season and for two years it looked like the right move obviously this year has not gone so well with the injuries but I would have gladly taken two good years from CFM to have one bad one on the books because he definitely would have us as the team to beat by a mile.  Instead there is some doubt due to pitching depth which we all knew was going to be a problem once LMJ went under the knife.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lulz rangers. 

The intentional walk followed by unintentional game losing walk always rules.  Side note: unless Khris goes on a tear in the latter 3rd of the season it looks like his consecutive seasons hitting .247 streak is over.

So FG has the two guys TOR got as 45 future-value prospects.

Here are the prospects in the HOU system that they rate as at least 45 prospects: Whitley (60), Tucker (55), Martin (50), Bukauskas (50), Perez (45), Fruedis Nova (45), Bryan Abreu (45), Brandon Bielak (45). 

So we could have had Stroman for Cionel Perez and Bryan Abreu? Or Brandon Bielak and Freudis Nova? 

I know that's not exactly how this works, and the ratings have subjectivity, but man...seems Stroman wasn't that expensive after all. I guess we (and lots of other teams) didn't want him that badly?

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

So FG has the two guys TOR got as 45 future-value prospects.

Here are the prospects in the HOU system that they rate as at least 45 prospects: Whitley (60), Tucker (55), Martin (50), Bukauskas (50), Perez (45), Fruedis Nova (45), Bryan Abreu (45), Brandon Bielak (45). 

So we could have had Stroman for Cionel Perez and Bryan Abreu? Or Brandon Bielak and Freudis Nova? 

I know that's not exactly how this works, and the ratings have subjectivity, but man...seems Stroman wasn't that expensive after all. I guess we (and lots of other teams) didn't want him that badly?

i feel like we do this every year.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

such a weird move 

Well he's got 1 more year of control. It takes a piece off the board thus making their pitchers more attractive, and provides insurance for whichever pitcher you are trading. Then if things are still awful next year, which they probably will be, you can trade him for something similar. What I am wondering is why Toronto took such a meh return for him. Outside of Stroman becoming a locker room distraction for their young position players, why not just play out the season.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well he's got 1 more year of control. It takes a piece off the board thus making their pitchers more attractive, and provides insurance for whichever pitcher you are trading. Then if things are still awful next year, which they probably will be, you can trade him for something similar. What I am wondering is why Toronto took such a meh return for him. Outside of Stroman becoming a locker room distraction for their young position players, why not just play out the season.

The AAA prospect dominated at AA for 66 innings and is a former first rounder. The Single A guy has a lot of strikeouts 

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Why would the Astros want to bring back Maldonado?  Stassi is not good offensively but Chirinos has been very serviceable.

Machete is a big upgrade defensively.  He's got a gun and teams (Yankees/Sox) are less likely to run on him.  His bat isn't significantly worse than RCs, although Chirinos has perked up the last week.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

now that we have all our offensive pieces back, i would like to see chirinos and stassi basically split time the rest of the regular season.

we need robby c as rested as possible for the postseason.

I agree with this sentiment.  Robby C has probably turned in the best season by an Astros catcher since 1991 back when this guy named Craig Biggio was predominantly a catcher.

15 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Why would the Astros want to bring back Maldonado?  Stassi is not good offensively but Chirinos has been very serviceable.

Frankly, they just don't believe in Stassi. I don't get it because I think he's fine defensively and doesn't play a position that demands offensive production anyhow. Practically every team has offensive black holes at the catcher position. Chirinos sucks defensively but his bat is okay when he's not playing every day. 

Personally, I think they should just ride with Stassi and Chirinos and not worry about bringing Maldonado back. 

Edited by Gourmand