2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I know Altuve will find it, but man, he looked like the first week of spring training tonight.
Was not sharp at the plate at all. Taking what looked like good pitches for strikes (not sure how the zone was from my vantage point but didn’t see/hear a lot of chirping from either dugout) and seemed off balance/ making weak contact when he did swing.
Timing is a mess right now.

On the bright side he seemed fine sprinting first to third on a pop up to left field when it became clear the LF’er lost it in the lights.

Not much else too memorable from the game tonight. Tucker had a solid single but not much else. Bielak did look good for the first time at AAA

Game 1 of 5 for me this week is in the books.
On to Cincy!

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I know Altuve will find it, but man, he looked like the first week of spring training tonight.
Was not sharp at the plate at all. Taking what looked like good pitches for strikes (not sure how the zone was from my vantage point but didn’t see/hear a lot of chirping from either dugout) and seemed off balance/ making weak contact when he did swing.
Timing is a mess right now.

he was like that before he got hurt 

he was like that before he got hurt 

I know. The “I know he’ll find it” part was me convincing myself to remain calm/all will be fine (it has to be right?) but he did look a bit like he did before the injury. Swinging a bit out of his shoes, popping up pitches to shallow outfield, way out in front on changeup and couldn’t pull the trigger on fastball on outer corner.

But I saw ~3 plate appearances.
Not going to draw any more conclusions from such a small sample size

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I know. The “I know he’ll find it” part was me convincing myself to remain calm/all will be fine (it has to be right?) but he did look a bit like he did before the injury. Swinging a bit out of his shoes, popping up pitches to shallow outfield, way out in front on changeup and couldn’t pull the trigger on fastball on outer corner.

But I saw ~3 plate appearances.
Not going to draw any more conclusions from such a small sample size

Yeah, he needs to go back to his roots.  He had a few years of unprecedented power for a 5'6" guy, but that isn't who he is as a long term baseball player. He is the guy who gets 200 hits 4 years in a row, and who had his highest hit total, lowest strikout total, and highest batting average in a year when he only hit 7 home runs. It was awesome that he was doing that and putting the ball in the stands for a couple of years but that was never really sustainable. There is nothing wrong with a Pete Rose type player minus the gambling, and that's what Altuve really is.  Put the ball in play and good things will happen. Plenty of power on this team to follow Altuve if he starts getting on base again. 

Edited by FondrenRoad