Dallas Stars 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Thinks it’s obvious the penalty kill or lack of Nashville pp was the difference this series. Will be interesting to see how the pk adjusts to a better Blues pp.

If Ben and the top line keep playing like the last few games it’s in the bag.

32 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Thinks it’s obvious the penalty kill or lack of Nashville pp was the difference this series. Will be interesting to see how the pk adjusts to a better Blues pp.

Yep. Benn hit the post 4 times last night from what I remember, and had the goalie beat to his right but got deflected by a defender on another.  Jamie Benn doesn't hit the post 4 times in a game very often.  

49 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Are the blues going to defend and tend goal as well as the preds, though?

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I would have thought a schedule would be out by now but maybe they are waiting on outcome of tonight's games before deciding?  

well, considering our matchup is the only that is decided so far, I would say yeah, they're waiting for results. Denver, Boston, NY (Isle/Nets) and Toronto all have teams in the NBA playoffs as well.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

well, considering our matchup is the only that is decided so far, I would say yeah, they're waiting for results. Denver, Boston and Toronto all have teams in the NBA playoffs as well.

This.

Last year's first-round series started 4/11 and 4/12 and the first second-round series was 4/26. This year they started on 4/10. If form holds, the second round should start Thursday night. My best guess would be the Avs-VGS/SJ series would start Thursday. I assume the league would want an earlier game on Thursday as well so that could be Stars-Blues or maybe Columbus at Toronto/Boston. The earliest a WSH/CAR-Islanders series could start is Friday. Only markets with NHL/NBA teams still in playoffs and sharing the same building are Denver, Toronto, Boston and Brooklyn. At any rate, looks like mid-week games for the Stars and Blues back in Dallas next week.

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are the blues going to defend and tend goal as well as the preds, though?

It appears the Blues goaltender is capable of surpassing the play of Rinne. Some of that has to be bc of their defense. Didn’t watch too much Blues hockey tho.

33 minutes ago, Dropout said:

It appears the Blues goaltender is capable of surpassing the play of Rinne. Some of that has to be bc of their defense. Didn’t watch too much Blues hockey tho.

My boss is from West Texas but spent many years in St Louis for work. He's a Blues fan -- and a Stars fan. Was asking him about Jordan Binnington yesterday. Sounds like he literally came out of nowhere as the Blues went on their run. Is it because of him? Did he go along for the ride? I don't know the answer to that but he had one NHL appearance before this season. I do know, however, that Binnington is an amazing 24-5-1 as a starter. The Stars accounted for two of his losses and were 2-1 against him this season. Also, his numbers were down considerably from the regular season to the first-round series against Winnipeg. I didn't watch much of that series at all but if we lose to STL this round, I don't think it's because of Binnington standing on his head or anything.

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My boss is from West Texas but spent many years in St Louis for work. He's a Blues fan -- and a Stars fan. Was asking him about Jordan Binnington yesterday. Sounds like he literally came out of nowhere as the Blues went on their run. Is it because of him? Did he go along for the ride? I don't know the answer to that but he had one NHL appearance before this season. I do know, however, that Binnington is an amazing 24-5-1 as a starter. The Stars accounted for two of his losses and were 2-1 against him this season. Also, his numbers were down considerably from the regular season to the first-round series against Winnipeg. I didn't watch much of that series at all but if we lose to STL this round, I don't think it's because of Binnington standing on his head or anything.

I didn't watch a lot of that series, but I saw enough to form an opinion about Winnipeg.  It seemed to me that they entered the playoffs looking lousy over the past three weeks, and they maintained that form for another six games.

That's not to say that the Blues didn't earn it.  They entered the playoffs in good form and looked good.  I'm just exceedingly skeptical of Winnipeg.

Upon reflection on this last series, i don't think we were dominating as much as we could have. No one seems to talk about it but we lost the faceoff battle, and by a pretty big margin. And from the naked eye test, it seemed to me we were losing them at ket junctures. Granted, we were only a .4% better faceoff team than the preds in the regular season. And we're only .5% better than St Louis.

We get much closer to 50% on faceoffs in this next series, i like our chances.

5 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Oh I didn't know we were doing this over here.  That shit was nuts.  

Yeah, I don't know where else it would've gone. The storms blowing thru Dallas knocked out my DirecTV just as Pavelski got flattened. I opened up the app on my phone to see the replay of the hit. Never in a million years would I have guessed we'd see what we saw. Four PP goals on one 5-minute PP. And then give up the game-tying goal in final minute.

Gm1: Thu  Dallas @ St. Louis  9:30pm NBCSN

Gm2: Sat  Dallas @ St. Louis  3:00pm NBC

Gm3: Mon  St. Louis @ Dallas  8:00pm NBCSN

Gm4: Wed  St. Louis @ Dallas 9:30pm NBCSN

Gm5: Fri  Dallas @ St. Louis  9:30pm  NBCSN

Gm6: Sun  St. Louis @ Dallas  TBD  TBD

Gm7: Tue  Dallas @ St. Louis  TBD  TBD

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Gm1: Thu  Dallas @ St. Louis  8:30pm NBCSN

Gm2: Sat  Dallas @ St. Louis  2:00pm NBC

Gm3: Mon  St. Louis @ Dallas  7:00pm NBCSN

Gm4: Wed  St. Louis @ Dallas 8:30pm NBCSN

Gm5: Fri  Dallas @ St. Louis  8:30pm  NBCSN

Gm6: Sun  St. Louis @ Dallas  TBD  TBD

Gm7: Tue  Dallas @ St. Louis  TBD  TBD

Best I can do. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

My cousin, who is a die hard hockey fan, sent me this. Says the Stars have the best chance to win it all of the remaining 8 teams.

bce2bc42c8ce928f1500df94f6471d30.jpg

Interesting. But those numbers have to changed slightly now that the three series (TOR/BOS, CAR/WSH and VGS/SJ) that went seven games are now over. I would think BOS and SJ have better chances than DAL at this point. Still, though, shows what a top-flight goalie can do for you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

How much of the same team do the Blues have from when we met them in this round in 2016? 

Different coach, different #1 goalie. Tarasenko was -- and still is -- their most dangerous offensive weapon. Schwartz, who has gotten hot, was on the 16 team. Perron was the captain for that team, left town but is now back in a more supporting role. Have to admit I don't know much about their blue line without checking Hockey Reference.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Different coach, different #1 goalie. Tarasenko was -- and still is -- their most dangerous offensive weapon. Schwartz, who has gotten hot, was on the 16 team. Perron was the captain for that team, left town but is now back in a more supporting role. Have to admit I don't know much about their blue line without checking Hockey Reference.

Scratch that. Was thinking of Backes. Fuck me.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ok thanks for the info! I know in 2016, we were not strong at goalie. Hell it seemed we kept going back and forth. Top notch goalie play can definitely propel you deep in these playoffs. 

Also, fuck the StL Blues.

If I recall, we flipped goalies after first loss and then that backfired even more and we got trounced so went with Kari who did alright until he decided to give up 3 goals (on I believe less than 10 shots) in the 1st period of Game 7.   Still pisses me off.

• Like 1