Brilliant Screwball/Slapstick Comedy Performances by Serious Dramatic Actors

Grandioso

I fucking love it when award winning actors slum it, stop taking themselves so seriously, and take a totally lowbrow role in a trashy TV/movie comedy - especially when they kill it. 

Kathy Bates

e0764668b478e86943828ff1852252c8.jpg

prod-db-touchstone-dr-waterboy-the-water

Robert DeNiro

raging_1280.png

MEET%20THE%20PARENTS-331743.jpg

Christopher Meloni

law_and_order_christopher_meloni_still.j

MV5BMWQ0NzJjZjQtYWVkZS00MDg1LWFhOGQtY2Nl

Gary Oldman

712a159048f9954af1d8639258f6ebe80336a74d

tk1v3nsfo8oaw1hqsfzq.jpg

Alec Baldwin

1_-geMErH4UBHyBCQL48PdGw.0.png

rs-30-rock-e639ab69-8e79-4b86-8e27-f4e4f

Tom Cruise

EWS_SFW.jpg?itok=S_2SlJ8M

tom-cruise-les-grossman-e1535054140761.j

Cate Blanchett

ElizabethSMALL-640x360.jpg

MV5BNmJjMjcwN2UtYjc2YS00YmVmLTk5MzgtOWQz

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Leap of Faith would be the inverse for Steve Martin. Razor’s Edge would be the same for Bill Murry.

Tom Cruise in Collateral was also very extreme with regard to his usual work.  It’s still hard to reconcile his being a cold blooded assassin.  Navy pilot? Of course, but not a fucking hit man.

12 hours ago, Grandioso said:

2 for 1: Tom Hanks & Bruce Dern

burbs613x463.jpg

Hanks wasn't a serious actor yet though.  His breakout role was Bosom Buddies and The Burbs was a year after Big and the same year as Turner and Hooch.

Edited by WBT

19 minutes ago, WBT said:

Hanks wasn't a serious actor yet though.  His breakout role was Bosom Buddies and The Burbs was a year after Big and the same year as Turner and Hooch.

True. I was kind of looking at their whole career. Hanks' entire early career was pretty comedic - also thinking of Bachelor Party. 

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

He had done Punchline and Nothing in Common, which I think started his transition from pure comedy to more dramatic roles.  But yeah, at the time of The 'Burbs, comedy was still his primary genre.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Wow,  didn't know that.

Unlike Pickens, George C. Scott—who plays bombastic General Buck Turgidson—was well-aware that Dr. Strangelove was a comedy, but was nevertheless hesitant about playing his character too “big.” Kubrick coaxed Scott to deliver broad, animated performances as Buck, promising him that they were merely an exercise and would not be used in the final cut. Of course, the takes that went to print were among the actor’s wackiest. Scott felt terribly betrayed, and vowed never to work with Kubrick again. Although Dr. Strangelove remained their sole collaboration, Scott did eventually come to appreciate the film and his performance.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63436/15-things-you-might-not-know-about-dr-strangelove

Ralph Bellamy in Trading places, not a lowbrow role, but he was not a comic actor and he kills it with Ameche

274004_large.jpg

15 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I fucking love it when award winning actors slum it, stop taking themselves so seriously, and take a totally lowbrow role in a trashy TV/movie comedy - especially when they kill it. 

Christopher Meloni

law_and_order_christopher_meloni_still.j

MV5BMWQ0NzJjZjQtYWVkZS00MDg1LWFhOGQtY2Nl

Not bad, but I pick Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

d6e93d16b8992112ab0587de1197db03.jpg

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

His first main role was the Pirate King in The Pirates of Penzance.

I'm not sure if that is a point in my favor or not.  I know nothing about that musical, but either way, it doesn't sound like a role that would have prepared us for how amazing he was in Wanda.  At least I wasn't prepared for it.   I only knew him as the guy from Sophie's Choice, The Big Chill, and Silverado.  And Cry Freedom, which I never saw but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a comedy.   

3 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I'm not sure if that is a point in my favor or not.  I know nothing about that musical, but either way, it doesn't sound like a role that would have prepared us for how amazing he was in Wanda.  At least I wasn't prepared for it.   I only knew him as the guy from Sophie's Choice, The Big Chill, and Silverado.  And Cry Freedom, which I never saw but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a comedy.   

It's a musical comedy. And IIRC you can definitely see he would have the chops to play Otto down the road.