Texas @ Oklahoma State series

Machinator

You keep saying that while ignoring that he went out and brought in Ellis, Hibbeler, DJ, Bocchi and Diaz. Diaz is still kind of recovering from TJ surgery. Then Parker Joe, Josh Sawyer and Andy McGuire of all people played key roles in the bullpen. Then he signed an outstanding recruiting class loaded with MLB caliber arms and 2 of our teams leading hitters, Ford and Kennedy. 

Oh and I love how you’re just choosing to ignore the losses of Hamilton and DJ. Shit, even Peters. But keep fucking that chicken

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Baseball really is probably the hardest to turn around. 

9-10 players start from a roster of 35, with 11 ships.

That there is a "vibrant" juco "market" is the only thing that speeds it up.

Recruiting seems to be on a better track than it's been in years.  Now we just need that class and future classes to pan out.  We have 21 underclassmen, including redshirts, on the roster. 

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

We do kind of have a roster of spares as demonstrated by the various freshmen who are better options than anyone else on the roster, but not phenoms like the ones that play at schools with solid rosters.  The upperclassmen are the dregs of the Garrido era.

You got that right.  The last few years of recruiting under Augie were lacking to say it nicely.   Too much time was spent trying to recruit kids who were already 1st to 3rd  round picks for the MLB draft and when they did as expected in June after the draft and sign with their MLB club, Augie had to go back and make calls to kids who we passed over the first time and they promptly responded " thanks, but no thanks."   I am familiar with one such kid (family is good friends of ours)  down here who got a very nice offer , but he was a low 1st round, high 2nd round pick on the MLB draft list starting in the middle of his high school career and he was pretty much telegraphing he was going MLB unless a he got selected by a handful of teams which had  a crappy minor league infrastructure in place.  I think  in that particular class Augie recruited, there were 5 or 6 who went Pro and never stepped foot in Austin again for baseball purposes.    There was another kid from our area who fit this also.   So that was 2 of the 5 or 6 I know from that class where time and money was wasted.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

21 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

True, but you probably haven't watched us much either.  Last Friday night we set a team record for most HRs in a game (12) and then went out and got our asses beat by KU two straight to lose the series.  Before that, we lost the WVU series.  We aren't very good.  I know a lot of people here are down on the team but today and tomorrow should make you feel better about them.  

So, which team is worse now?

21 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

True, but you probably haven't watched us much either.  Last Friday night we set a team record for most HRs in a game (12) and then went out and got our asses beat by KU two straight to lose the series.  Before that, we lost the WVU series.  We aren't very good.  I know a lot of people here are down on the team but today and tomorrow should make you feel better about them.  

Yes, we only lost the second game by 10-2.  We're on a roll now!  I feel much better today than I did Friday morning!

Woke up this morning to a retweet of "that's it folks, Texas falls in game two..." then another retweet from some guy who was excited about Texas scoring 2 runs in the 9th "chipping away!"

What's this talk about a third coach or something? I've seen CDC address it a few times. Probably best not to have any "coaching" at this point.

14 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Is there an NIT for baseball?  

[sunshine] If we can somehow win 6 out of the last 10 conference games and not completely fuck up the midweek games (I know that's a huge "if"), then we could sneak in the tournament as a 3-seed and get annihilated in Fayetteville or Corvallis... [/sunshine]

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Woke up this morning to a retweet of "that's it folks, Texas falls in game two..." then another retweet from some guy who was excited about Texas scoring 2 runs in the 9th "chipping away!"

What's this talk about a third coach or something? I've seen CDC address it a few times. Probably best not to have any "coaching" at this point.

The ncaa allows baseball to only have 2 “coaches” and the rest be “volunteers”. That’s why Haig has the title he does. CDC supported a proposal to get a third paid assistant. Then he said that more clarification was needed after after another sport was added and so he paused his vote; the bill ended up not passing. But CDC did say that if we want to help out college baseball more, we should be pushing for more scholarships within the sport. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh good are you also going to engage in a victory dance of smugness? And here I thought this couldn't get shittier.

Hopefully we'll win today so he wont see and respond to your post.  ;)

Edited by petscii
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Can we go money whip a hitting coach? Our entire lineup is pretty much all under .250. 

I agree with you, but hitting instruction is only a piece of the quality hitter persona.  Even on this thread you read about Cody last year.  When Cody came to the plate he was an athlete, what I call approaching the plate with a “presence”.  On our roster now even Pierce’s youngsters, I do not see one example of Presence Athlete.  I’ve watched every UT game on LHN and I generally observe that most Big 12 and SEC teams have better, stronger team overall athleticism than us.  If we ever hope to have an elite level program we have to have not just good solid recruits, but we have to recruit...then develop “elite presence” athletes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruitxn said:

I agree with you, but hitting instruction is only a piece of the quality hitter persona.  Even on this thread you read about Cody last year.  When Cody came to the plate he was an athlete, what I call approaching the plate with a “presence”.  On our roster now even Pierce’s youngsters, I do not see one example of Presence Athlete.  I’ve watched every UT game on LHN and I generally observe that most Big 12 and SEC teams have better, stronger team overall athleticism than us.  If we ever hope to have an elite level program we have to have not just good solid recruits, but we have to recruit...then develop “elite presence” athletes.

Seems like it’s been a issue longer than just the last two years. I’d love to have one guy that can hit for average and power like Cody but even last year and previous years we only have one guy maybe two that can hit. I know it’s not just a hitting coach issue or it would be fixed by now. Just odd we continuously have teams that have to rely only on shutout pitching and timely hitting to win games, I can’t wait till the days we have 4-5 guys with over .300 avg and some hr hitters.

• Like 1

I think it's a little bit of a crapshoot whether a talented high school player can make the transition to hitting college pitching.  Harmon was a really good recruiter and talent scout for Garrido until he started mailing it in.  But, we probably should have stuck with him, because Tommy Nicholson apparently could not scout a college level hitter to save his life; and his effort couldn't make up for Harmon's skill  As good as Kacy and Kody were for us (for one year apiece), they were lazy, legacy recruits, not top-flight college recruits.

And, I think it's clear Augie de-emphasized hitting in both recruiting and practice/coaching.

We are still suffering from that.

Pierce has signed the best class, ranking-wise, in a number of years, and there are quite a few bright spots in it, as mentioned in the thread. 

It will probably take a couple more classes like that before we start getting instant-impact freshmen.  Hopefully the promising young guys can continue to develop. Who knows wtf is going on with some players' regression, but they were probably never going to be real good anyway.  I think the "loss of leadership" idea has a lot of merit as an explanation.

If the recruiting keeps at a pretty high level, Pierce and co. don't have to be a huge improvement in hitting coaching to improve over the latter-day Garrido regime.

Edited by TwiceHorn