New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Yeah, 12/31 was pretty booked.  I have a Luke and a Peche.  I know Luke hasn't gotten high marks on this thread but I've 2 fantastic meals there and can't go wrong with Peche.  Not sure which we will end up at.

But trying to plan a larger 1/1 Brunch.  Last time we had a big table at Mr B's which worked well but they are booked up for anything other than small tops.    Has anyone done Arnaud's brunch?  I have not.  But we currently have like 3 tables of 8 booked.  Not sure I love the "fancy" dining room aspect of it as not sure anyone is going to want to dress up, even a little, on gameday.  May need to talk to them about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We actually had a really great lunch at Avenue Pub on Saturday.  I hadn't been in 10+ years but it was a great place to hang and watch some football and grab a great sandwich.  Brunch at Gris Gris yesterday was a bit disappointing but I may have mis-ordered.

Yeah, that place has changed a ton over the last decade. 6-7 years ago Polly brought in the Boucherie folks to do the food, and she just retired and sold to the Blue Oak BBQ folks last year. Beer list has gone downhill but the heyday of the beer bar was a decade ago anyways, still a LGD and Mardi Gras morning staple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In part because I'm a bit superstitious, we're retracing our 2019 Sugar Bowl steps (which worked out pretty damn well) and having a big lunch at Peche on New Year's Day...can't wait.  There were tons on Texas fans eating/drinking there in 2019 and it was fun as hell.  As you may recall, that was a prelude to mudholing UGA...yes, mudholing, since the score was not indicative of our dominance.

Planning to hit Casamento's, Saba and maybe Turkey & the Wolf at some point.  Looks like Toups Meatery or Costera (anyone been there?) on NYE.  Also, will have to get at least one drink at Bouligny Tavern (one of my favorite bars in the city) on NYE, since that was a key stop in 2019 as well.

I still can't believe this all fell into place so perfectly, because I was starting to truly believe we just can't have nice things.  FAAFO!

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We are going from Wednesday to Wednesday, assuming we get tickets to the game.  Going to try and hit some places we have never tried before.  I've never spent a full week in NOLA.  Hope I don't die.

Yikes, a full week...you might die.

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We are going from Wednesday to Wednesday, assuming we get tickets to the game.  Going to try and hit some places we have never tried before.  I've never spent a full week in NOLA.  Hope I don't die.

You should probably make sure your will is up to date before you leave.

Wow glad I found this thread. Some great info in here. Wife and I are headed down for the game and making a weekend out of it (Saturday-Tues) Any thoughts on NYE strategy? Doesn’t look like there are many tables available at the good spots, so we figured we’d eat a late brunch and drunkenly bop around the Quarter and find something casual to coat the stomach (any recs?). Also any general areas/streets/bars we should stick to? I imagine Bourbon will be a shitshow. Haven’t been to NOLA since I was a senior at UT so super pumped to be going back.

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Doesn’t look like there are many tables available at the good spots, so we figured we’d eat a late brunch and drunkenly bop around the Quarter and find something casual to coat the stomach (any recs?). Also any general areas/streets/bars we should stick to? I imagine Bourbon will be a shitshow. Haven’t been to NOLA since I was a senior at UT so super pumped to be going back.

You can't beat Acme or Felix for casual.  Across the street from each other and no reservations. Just gauge the line and get in when it doesn't look bad.  Both are great.   I had a quick pregame meal at the bar at Felix right before making the walk to Superdome last time we were in Sugar Bowl and will probably do the same.  Bourbon Street itself will be phenomenal on gameday.  It will be packed with fans in town for the game so not the typical scene. Two of my favorite pre-game afternoon drinking days were '03 Final Four and '19 Sugar Bowl.  Just a great, unique scene.

As for classier bars, we always stay at the Monteleone (and doing so again) and will spend a lot of time in the Carousel bar there. It's great regardless whether you luck into an actual "seat" on the carousel.  Also, take your wife over to Roosevelt Hotel to check out the Christmas decorations (they go way over the top and pretty impressive) and grab a drink at the Sazerac Bar.  I bet we try to grab a pre-dinner drink there on NYE.

• Hook 'Em 3

Domenica had some good mentions in this thread so I have that for NYE, and definitely as Sazarac or 2 prior.  We were just in NO a month ago and had plenty cajun/seafood so the wife thought Italian would be nice. Y'all got me wanting to try that clam pizza though.

For Jan 2nd have both Compere Lapin and GW Fins. Will decide which one to cancel soon enough.  Jan 1 is totally wing it, but probably Felix or go get a sandwich at Cochon Butcher or the like while day drinking plus whatever Immamac comes up with perhaps.  Brennans brunch on the way out on the 3rd.  Just one last detail...yeah, game tickets...

On 12/4/2023 at 12:59 PM, South Austin said:

Leave on Thursday, come back on Sunday.  Dinners booked at Herbsaint, Saffron, and MaMou.  Will wing it for brunch/lunch.  Lots of day drinking to celebrate one year closer to 50. 

You be there twice in December? Hell of a deal!

First off, if you’re not working toward’s a Galatoire’s Friday lunch you are missing the experience of a lifetime.  No reserves, you have to get a line sitter.  

Also, I never see it mentioned on any top lists but I’ve always had good luck dining in the bar at the pelican club if I didn’t manage a better NYE reservation.  

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

First off, if you’re not working toward’s a Galatoire’s Friday lunch you are missing the experience of a lifetime.  No reserves, you have to get a line sitter.  

Also, I never see it mentioned on any top lists but I’ve always had good luck dining in the bar at the pelican club if I didn’t manage a better NYE reservation.  

Pelican club is definitely a sneaky good recommendation. 

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

It’s a level down from a lot of restaurants in this thread, price wise

That's another thing I like about New Orleans--there's lots of great options at different price points. 

Way too frequently in Austin good=expensive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

South Austin’s posts here reminds me, need a brunch place for 1/1/24. I see Luke, Domenica and Broussard’s with reservations available. Anyone got a strong opinion on any of those for brunch?

Haven’t been to the other two, but went to Luke for brunch last year and it was meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

South Austin’s posts here reminds me, need a brunch place for 1/1/24. I see Luke, Domenica and Broussard’s with reservations available. Anyone got a strong opinion on any of those for brunch?

It's gotten mixed reviews on here but I've had 2 (out of 2) great lunches at Luke.  That is one of my 12/31 dinner reservations.  I'm still hoping by a miracle Commander's or something else I had on notify (Herbsaint I think) pops up but if it doesn't I won't hesitate going there.   Have not been to the other 2.  

FYI - we have a couple of reservations 1/1 for St. John we may be cancelling.  Going to talk to them this week and see if they are able to accommodate but I think we may have more people coming than seats. I had brunch there previously (based on a rec in this thread) and it was great.  We separately have Arnaud 1/1 and I know they have room for us - I just have not eaten there and have heard mixed reviews.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...