2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Is Zubia playing anywhere? I kind of don’t want him to in a weird way. Stay on campus and work on your swing and try to get that pop he had as a freshman back 

Word is that we're going to try him out at SS next year. He's working on turning the DP smoothly.

Probably another month or so.  I really don't like starting the season on the road.  I know we're going to LSU, not sure beyond that.  I lost track, and interest, in mid-April.  

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They'll be playing LSU, Arkie, and Mizzou in the tournament in Houston on 2/28, 2/29, and 3/1.  I'll be there, but I'm guessing that we will get trounced.

I’m still holding out hope that DJ is just that much better of a catcher, the young pitchers take the next step, Zubia gets his swing back, Ellis and Todd provide some senior leadership while Kennedy and Ford continue to improve. Also curious about these juco’s DP brought in. 

With that being said, you’re probably right. 

2/14 opening day

2.28.20 7pm Friday      Texas V LSU @Minute Maid Park
2.29.20 7pm Saturday    Arkansas V Texas @Minute Maid Park
3.1.20 3pm Sunday       Missouri vs Texas @Minute Maid Park

3/20    @Oklahoma
3/27    Oklahoma State
4/3     @West Virginia
4/9     Baylor
4/17    Kansas
4/24    @Kansas State
5/1     @Texas Tech
5/8     TCU

That is the schedule so far, that I've sourced from news articles/webpages.  Anything not on there has not been confirmed.

Typically LSU is one of the first teams to release their schedules in early August.   Last year Texas released shortly after LSU did in August.  Previous years October/November was the norm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’m still holding out hope that DJ is just that much better of a catcher, the young pitchers take the next step, Zubia gets his swing back, Ellis and Todd provide some senior leadership while Kennedy and Ford continue to improve. Also curious about these juco’s DP brought in.  

Now you have me drinking the kool-aid again

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Honest question---where we at in the rotation with Stanford, UCLA, LA-Lafayette, Rice (weekend series, not mid-week), Purdue, and NOrthwestern?  Surely 2-3 of those teams factor into our non-conf. slate this year.  

our weekend series look like there won't be one during the conf. slate due to that big 12 schedule released years ago.  we wont' play anybody weekend before Big 12 Tourney either because of finals.  We know Houston Tourney is in there.  So that leaves 3/6-3/8, 3/13-3/15.  And then going back, 2/21-2/23 & 2/14-2/16.  Again, 5 total non-conf. weekends which is normal, just more front loaded since nothing coming in April or May as has been case in years past.  We know Houston is one, I expect one true road series in there.  And then three weekend home stands.  I expect that to be 2 "marquee" names and one "Layup" like Xavier or New Orleans as has been in years past under Pierce, and of course we now know those teams can sweep us without any issue.  

Great, we're fucked either way.  That'd be a tough slate to have that SEC tourney in Houston and then travel to Vanderbilt.  I guess we wouldn't travel to Purdue so early in the year.  

I swear there was a return trip for UCLA or Rice in there somewhere, but maybe I'm wrong.  

On 7/13/2019 at 8:59 PM, Lobo said:

Great, we're fucked either way.  That'd be a tough slate to have that SEC tourney in Houston and then travel to Vanderbilt.  I guess we wouldn't travel to Purdue so early in the year.  

I swear there was a return trip for UCLA or Rice in there somewhere, but maybe I'm wrong.  

We played at UCLA in 2016. Hit Griffin Canning hard in the Friday game, then it went downhill.

Edited by zlavydra

This summer, Texas has sent a handful of its players to participate in various collegiate wood bat leagues across the country. Rising sophomores Kolby Kubichek and Dawson Merryman are pitching for the Chatham Anglers, and both players will participate in the Cape Cod League’s all-star game this weekend. Kubichek appeared in 14 games during his freshman year at Texas while Merryman spent the past year at Midland College.

Any momentum gained by Kubichek, Merryman and Cole Quintanilla, who was invited to the California League’s prospects game, could be a benefit for UT’s pitching staff. Texas will retain all-conference ace Bryce Elder in 2020, but two of the spots in its weekend rotation are up for grabs. The ERA posted by Texas in 2019 was its second-worst of the millennium. That 4.37 ERA ranked seventh in the Big 12 and 88th nationally.      https://www.hookem.com/2019/07/15/summer-sessions-update-longhorns-playing-collegiate-wood-bat-leagues-2-2/

Summertime at Texas: Update 5

SUMMER TEAM LEAGUE STATISTICS
OF Eric Kennedy Santa Barbara California .380 (38-100), 2 HR, 14 RBI, 24 R, 19 SB
INF Lance Ford Duluth Northwoods .267 (32-120), 6 2B, 13 RBI, 19 R, 21 BB
RHP Kolby Kubichek Chatham Cape Cod 25.0 IP, 1.08 ERA, 29 K, 8 BB, 12 H
RHP Ty Madden Chatham Cape Cod 19.1 IP, 3.72 ERA, 19 K, 9 BB, 18 H
RHP Dawson Merryman Chatham Cape Cod 11.0 IP, 0.81 ERA, 12 K, 5 BB, 7 H, 4 saves
LHP Thomas Burbank Gaithersburg Cal Ripken 29.0 IP, 6.20 ERA, 35 K, 8 BB, 30 H
RHP Coy Cobb Wareham Cape Cod 10.0 IP, 5.40 ERA, 9 K, 7 BB, 14 H
RHP Cole Quintanilla Santa Barbara California 11.0 IP, 6.75 ERA, 12 K, 6 BB, 13 H

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers?lang=en

Sean Allen possible candidate for SHSU to replace Matt Deggs.

Dustin McComas‏Verified account @DMcComasOB

FollowFollow @DMcComasOB

More

Dustin McComas Retweeted Kendall Rogers

If Sam Houston State opens, as it looks like it soon will, it will be something to keep an eye on for #HookEm. Sean Allen would make a lot of sense, and would be on the list.

Edited by torre

I don't Twitter,  but emailed Danny Davis at the AAS to thank him for these updates.   Never had regular updates in the past.   Would encourage you all to consider the same in hopes they will continue.

ddavis@statesman.com  or twitter @aasdanny

This summer, Texas has sent a handful of its players to participate in various collegiate wood bat leagues across the country. These arrangements have set up a few instances in which friends have become foes. For example, Brewster outfielder Duke Ellis drew an eighth-inning walk and stole two bases off of Chatham reliever Dawson Merryman on July 19. When facing Chatham starter Kolby Kubichek on July 7, Ellis walked and then grounded out to his Texas teammate.

Ellis will be a senior outfielder for the Longhorns this upcoming spring. Kubichek, meanwhile, will be a sophomore vying for a spot in UT’s rotation. Texas recently signed Merryman, who spent his freshman year at Midland College.

Merryman and Kubichek also pitched the last 1 1/3 innings for the East in the Cape Cod League’s all-star game on Sunday. The two pitchers combined for two strikeouts while allowing two hits and a walk. Kubichek earned the victory in the East’s walk-off conquest.

Summertime at Texas: Update 6

Summer Team League Statistics
OF Eric Kennedy Santa Barbara California .383 (46-120), 19 RBI, 29 R, 3 HR, 23 SB
INF Lance Ford Duluth Northwoods .257 (35-136), 18 RBI, 22 R, 8 2B
OF Duke Ellis Cotuit/Brewster Cape Cod .204 (10-49), 9 R, 9 BB, 5 SB
INF Tanner Haney Victoria West Coast .260 (19-73), 8 RBI, 13 R, 4 2B, 5 SB
RHP Kolby Kubichek Chatham Cape Cod 25.0 IP, 1.08 ERA, 29 K,8 BB, 12 H
RHP Ty Madden Chatham Cape Cod 19.1 IP, 3.72 ERA, 19 K, 9 BB, 18 H
RHP Dawson Merryman Chatham Cape Cod 12.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 12 K, 7 BB, 8 H, 4 saves
LHP Thomas Burbank Gaithersburg Cal Ripken 35.0 IP, 5.14 ERA, 39 K, 10 BB, 35 H
RHP Cole Quintanilla Santa Barbara California 16.1 IP, 6.61 ERA, 18 K, 10 BB, 19 H

https://www.hookem.com/2019/07/22/summer-sessions-an-update-on-the-longhorns-playing-in-collegiate-wood-bat-leagues-2/

SHSU fans have interesting, incisive comments,  especially the last one.    End of week announcement seems correct with the waiting period.

Texas website Orangebloods says by the end of the week. Phil Haig got let go by Pierce so an Allen Haig combination sounds really good. Sean Allen and Phillip Miller are on the Sam Houston shortlist.

Again, Allen is the MAN. His background looks outstanding. Allen as head coach, with Haig as an assistant would be great. Looks like the Horns are cleaning house and Pierce wants new faces.

honestly think its Allen unless Sirianni can use the keep the recruiting class together pitch effectively. The fact Pierce let Haig go this late makes me think a paid assistant coach position will open up with Allen leaving that Pierce can fill with a pitching coach. Why I think its Allen.

http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?22013-Candidates-to-Replace-Deggs/page4

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

So new pitching coach and one of Allen/Miller probably ending up at Sam?

Boy, that's a lot of change in one offseason. 

Tough for Ragin' Cajuns losing Coach Robi.... only Age 57    (DAMN)

Hope Coach Deggs does well there.

Disappointed for Sean Allen if he actively pursued the position.  Would have been a great place to begin career as head coach.  Good recruiter,  seems to be a super individual,  jury is out on his prowess as hitting coach.  His current salary is 173K so no need for sorrow.      https://salaries.texastribune.org/search/?q=sean+allen

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

TuLo should help with both hitting and fielding...

If you play the field then you’re probably hitting and our infield will be young. Defense and offensively, he will help our infield, which is what I was saying. 

Edit: obviously Tulo will come in and help out every facet of the game as well. 

Edited by DoneWithit

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Joe Cook going on 104.9 HornFM talk sports show (Austin) in 2 minutes to discuss Troy Tulowitzki hire (5pm cst).

Can listen on Hornfm app too....

http://hornfm.com/about/apps/

Missed the show.

Any news from this or the paysites on Tulo's connection to UT or Austin ?     He and his wife are both from California.

Full article from TexasSports with notes on Allen’s pitching coach history. 

Texas Baseball head coach David Pierce has announced the hiring of 13-year Major League Baseball veteran Troy Tulowitzki as an assistant coach on the Longhorns staff. With the hiring of Tulowitzki, assistant Sean Allen will assume the role of pitching coach and continue as the recruiting coordinator on Pierce's staff. Tulowitzki, a five-time All-Star replaces Phil Haig, who is no longer with the program.

"Tulo and I had an opportunity to spend some time together and I came away so impressed with his desire to teach and his excitement to become a part of Texas Baseball," Pierce said. "Longhorn legends Huston Street and Drew Stubbs gave great endorsements on Tulo's behalf. His knowledge goes without saying but his passion and energy for the development of young men left such a meaningful impression on me. He will be a great addition to our staff. I am excited to have Troy, his wife Danyll and their son Taz join The University of Texas Baseball program."

In addition to his five All-Star selections, Tulowitzki is a two-time Gold Glove Award winner and a two-time Silver Slugger Award winner. He spent 10 seasons with the Colorado Rockies, before joining the Toronto Blue Jays from 2015-17 and finishing his career with the New York Yankees in 2019.

A career .290 hitter, Tulowitzki finished his MLB career with 1,391 hits, 264 doubles, 225 home runs and 780 RBI. His 225 homers are the 12th-most ever by an MLB shortstop. Tulowitzki is one of just four shortstops in MLB history to compile a .984 career fielding percentage or better.

After making his Major League debut in 2006, Tulowitzki helped lead the Rockies to the 2007 National League Championship and the franchise's first World Series appearance. In 2007, he led all MLB shortstops in fielding percentage (.987), putouts (262), total chances (834), assists (561), and double plays turned (114).

In 2010, Tulowitzki was named to his first All-Star team, finished fifth in voting for National League MVP and won the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger award. He raked in the honors again in 2011, being named an All-Star, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger and finishing eighth in MVP voting.

Tulowitzki was named an All-Star for the final time in 2015 and finished the season in Toronto after being traded to the Blue Jays in July. He helped lead Toronto to the American League Championship Series, falling just shy of the World Series.

A two-time All-American and three-time All-Conference player, Tulowitzki was selected with the seventh overall pick of the 2005 MLB Draft out of Long Beach State. In 2004, Tulowitzki was named the Most Valuable Player of the Palo Alto Regional. Following the season, Tulowitzki was a 2004 selection to the USA Collegiate National Team and helped win the Gold Medal at the FISU World University Championships. He was inducted into the Long Beach State Hall of Fame in 2013.

Tulowitzki married his wife Danyll in 2009 and the couple have a son, Taz.

Allen returns to a role he last held as an assistant at Florida International University from 2008-11, running the team's pitching staff. In his first full season as pitching coach in 2009, the Panthers led the conference in strikeouts and surrendered the fewest walks with a single-season school record low of 173. In 2010, the program captured its first Sun Belt Conference title with the league's top ERA, advancing to the NCAA Tournament in 2010 and 2011.

"Coach Allen is a baseball man," Pierce said. "He has a history of coaching pitchers and the demeanor for handling a pitching staff. I believe it's always about coaching the individual's needs and understanding how each pitcher learns their craft. Sean understands that and knows what it takes to compete in the Big XII as well. He has an intuitive feel for the players he coaches and will be great with the analytics of pitching and continuing each player's development. Our pitching staff and team just got better with Sean's transition to the pitching coach."

For the past eight seasons under Pierce, Allen has served as the recruiting coordinator and worked primarily with hitters and infielders. Pierce took on a similar move while as an assistant coach at Rice. An outfielder during his playing days and the Owls' hitting coach from 2003-05, Pierce moved to the role of pitching coach in 2006.

• Like 1