Executive Action...no more pennies

ImissWallyPryor

In these days of tribalism, one thing that can bring us together would be the elimination of the penny. 

A penny in the year of Texas Agricultural and Mechanical University’s most recent national championship in football is equivalent to $.18 in 2019. 

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

While we’re at it, let’s eliminate the Aggie nickel, which is equivalent to $.92 today.

No CR. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

and they both end in "Y"...coincidence?  I think not!  

Think about it, man...Aggies are the rounding errors of humanity.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, SDG said:

Fuck that; I’m not paying extra for stuff due to rounding up. 

Ben Franklin posts on Surly?

Most of the places I spend cash round my change up to the next nickel. When I get pennies, I put them in the take-a-penny dish...unless they look old because I save pennies that are as older than me. I don’t know why, I guess I just respect the hell out of them for lasting that long. 

Guest Lobo

Look around you next week during the workweek, you'll see many more Brinks, Dunbar, and Garda trucks that you'd think you would.  Door-to-door cash logistics is growing at an exponential rate.  Branch banks are sitting around hoping somebody will take the time to roll coin and come in to justify their existence with $30 in nickels tomorrow.  

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You and Bighorn are whiffing on the opportunity to select the weapon of choice to throw at cars that piss you off.

Of course, that poster was also a pederast so maybe the omissions are intended.

I’m not sure who or what you’re talking about but I was going for the Anchorman reference 

Guest Lobo
46 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll own my ignorance.

Why is this occurring?

They all decided as an industry to take cash deposits at the branch out of the loop.  Both the business sending cash/coin with them and the branch accepting them, both pay a nut to them.  They used to just handle big cash transports, then restaurants/bars/retail/mom n' pop/et. al. got wise and realized sending Sally on Monday morning to the branch was a fucking waste of time and a huge liability.  

$20 billion (just to start) of dry powder is lying in wait.  As branches digitize and are no longer needed, as inter-regional banks cannibalize smaller regional banks, as legacy leases at idiotic locations no longer make sense, as the weaker links can no longer justify not only their $25/foot but their worthless bloated staff...publicly traded REIT's that are end-cap and pad site bank branch heavy will need to unload them or suffer the alternative.  You think empty Sears, Radio Shack's, and movie theaters are a blight?  Look at all the banks in your suburb.  Not just how big they are, but how prime their real estate is.  The amount of intel out there is abundant about who is going to shut down which branch, which M&A will shut down which branch, which bank can't afford their over-zealous location any longer, cross that against which sites/strip centers/etc. are in public REITs.  Scrub against NNN intel, who is looking to overhaul, yadayadayada.  It's a bit of an analytic exercise...but there's some folks out there that are about to make a killing watching CFI branches go down the drain and take their shitheap staff with them.  And I'm gonna do everything I can to help them because loans cost middle class Americans too much because banks can't get the fuck over themselves.  Send me your zipcode and I'll show you 5 dead branches within 5 miles and another dozen with a razor on their wrists.  

America needs banks.  America doesn't need bankers.  

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

How am I going to launder my cash if all the bank branches go away?

MSB's.  Find a Puerto Rican bank merging with a federally chartered U.S. bank.  

The jig is up.  Hispanic immigrants are about to get wise that 19% check cashing isn't a privilege, it's sanctioned rape. 

Counteroffer: Let's make a Strong Dollar that is 35 to an ounce of gold, just like it was back during Aggy's most recent natty.

At this moment's Weak Dollar gold price of $1,333/oz, that makes a Strong Dollar worth 38 of that buttwipe currently in the ATM.

Strong Cent (there is no penny in the US, look it up while you're in prison, you British spy) becomes a coin worth between a current quarter and half dollar. A Strong Nickel would let you eat a burger at Mickey D's. A Strong Quarter might get you in the movies.

(But no popcorn. Nobody will ever have that kind of money.)

Under my proposal it might behoove us to mint the Strong Cent as a big old chunky coin, something you could throw ninja-style, take somebody out.

Edited by RDCanecutter

7 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Counteroffer: Let's make a Strong Dollar that is 35 to an ounce of gold, just like it was back during Aggy's most recent natty.

At this moment's Weak Dollar gold price of $1,333/oz, that makes a Strong Dollar worth 38 of that buttwipe currently in the ATM.

Strong Cent (there is no penny in the US, look it up while you're in prison, you British spy) becomes a coin worth between a current quarter and half dollar. A Strong Nickel would let you eat a burger at Mickey D's. A Strong Quarter might get you in the movies.

(But no popcorn. Nobody will ever have that kind of money.)

Under my proposal it might behoove us to mint the Strong Cent as a big old chunky coin, something you could throw ninja-style, take somebody out.

So would our current money be unusable, except when exchanged for new bills and coins?

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

So would our current money be unusable, except when exchanged for new bills and coins?

Give people a few years to swap it in, like they did with the Euro. Or we could overlap for a while like the Mexicans did with the old peso and the New Peso.

Back to the original question about pennies, I watched them making pennies at the Philadelphia Mint. That's a hell of a lot of copper-plated zinc. I imagine some industry is getting a kickback, as well as a gummint union keeping all those workers busy. Most of those Morgan Silver Dollars got made for the same reason. Pennies at least circulate, however briefly. Most Morgan Silver Dollars spent decades inside of bags.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Give people a few years to swap it in, like they did with the Euro. Or we could overlap for a while like the Mexicans did with the old peso and the New Peso.

Back to the original question about pennies, I watched them making pennies at the Philadelphia Mint. That's a hell of a lot of copper-plated zinc. I imagine some industry is getting a kickback, as well as a gummint union keeping all those workers busy. Most of those Morgan Silver Dollars got made for the same reason. Pennies at least circulate, however briefly. Most Morgan Silver Dollars spent decades inside of bags.

Would I get more Strong Cents in exchange for copper cents than for those cheap-ass zinc cents? I need to game plan. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

29 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Would I get more Strong Cents in exchange for copper cents than for those cheap-ass zinc cents? I need to game plan. 

Naturally. We'll have traveling collection centers where you pitch them into a bucket that sorts them according to weight. Then you'll get a credit sent to your phone that you can use at dog tracks and liquor stores.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:27 PM, dimyh said:

A Coke?

Some dick head cut me and my roommate off while driving into Austin on 35 just north of San Marcos back '94. We pulled up to him and I slammed a Big Red off of the driver's side window of his car. Throwing a soda at someone's car on the highway is pretty satisfying.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, Lobo said:

MSB's.  Find a Puerto Rican bank merging with a federally chartered U.S. bank.  

The jig is up.  Hispanic immigrants are about to get wise that 19% check cashing isn't a privilege, it's sanctioned rape. 

19%!?!

Where the fuck you go?

I pick up all the change I come across, including dirty pennies. One of my favorite things in life is to feed them to the new robots at Walmart.

Edited by JohnnyRage

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

19%!?!

Where the fuck you go?

I pick up all the change I come across, including dirty pennies. One of my favorite things in life is to feed them to the new robots at Walmart.

You've never heard of check-cashing places charing high-teens as a fee for cashing payroll checks?  Or were you asking in the other hyperbolic direction, as if to say---19%?  That's a steal?  I honestly couldn't figure which way you were inquiring from your post.  

I'm going to miss full-service branch banking. When I have a small discrepancy with a check or some other unusual situation, I've usually been able to work that out with the human employees at my local bank. If it comes down to purely electronic/web/phone-based customer service, it will be a nightmare.

It already pisses me off so much when I go into my local branch, see a long line, and they only have one or two tellers at the counter (where there are positions and terminals for 6 or 8 tellers).  Same with airline ticket/check-in counters.  For some things, i want a human to fix my shit.

Edited by Paper_jam

If you have a small discrepancy with a check, it's probably a processing error.  Visiting more humans with more error-prone processing tendencies isn't going to make your problem go away.  It'll probably make it worse.  When my wife sends me to make a return at Target or Buy Buy Baby, the shithead behind the desk typically just prolongs our issue while some clip-on tie shift-manager shuffles bullshit from one side of the computer to the other.  Sending it back to their online delivery platform with a strongly worded note and some postage sticker typically makes the problem go away and correct itself within 72 hours.  

I agree that a human touch in banking still helps.  My issue isn't the branch banking concept itself, it's that the person who helped you that day.  They are sitting there for 75% of the day with nothing to do except collect a $59,000/year paycheck.  And their square footage is a waste.  All in all, their G&A makes your loan cost 50bps more and your CD rate is 15bps lower.  All because of "service."  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You've never heard of check-cashing places charing high-teens as a fee for cashing payroll checks?  Or were you asking in the other hyperbolic direction, as if to say---19%?  That's a steal?  I honestly couldn't figure which way you were inquiring from your post.  

PLS is 1%, Walmart is over half of that.