CWS

Cairn Horn88

27 minutes ago, Augustus said:

As I've been saying, Michigan looks destined.

22 minutes ago, Augustus said:

If this goes to three, though, I'm betting on Vandy.  And with Rocker pitching tomorrow that's a good bet.

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Great bunt.

I'm telling you, God decided weeks ago Blue was winning this thing.

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see how Michigan manages their staff going forward.  I assume Criswell starts tomorrow but when he's pulled, it will be all guys that haven't thrown in Omaha the rest of the way (unless Kauffman is able to come back for some work on Wednesday).

42 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Anyone check on aggy? Are they okay, or are they calling Vandy undeserving of being in the conference because they’re not “real SEC”?

looking at Michigan in the CWS finals...is a cautionary tale about expanding the postseason in any sport and thus devaluing the regular season. (e.g. college football playoff)

the Wolverines top 3 series wins by RPI during the 2019 regular season were:

#63 Minnesota
#73 Maryland
#120 Northwestern

that's it. That's it. The expanded format really gave UM a free pass for an underwhelming regular season. And to their credit they took advantage.

should have been a solo HR. 

The replays at the CWS have been awful. Why use it if you aren't going to overturn the incorrect calls.

There you go....didn't play anybody, and the officiating sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

If this goes to three, though, I'm betting on Vandy.  And with Rocker pitching tomorrow that's a good bet.

Yeah, best pitcher for a game #3 situation for Michigan was their Lefty in game #1.  If Rocker pitches well and Vandy forces a game #3, Vandy has the better pitching advantage.

But Hell, this Michigan team is fearless.  They kinda remind me of the Coastal Carolina "Fightin' Chickens" team 🐓🐓🐓 that won in 2016 !!

• Like 1

looking at Michigan in the CWS finals...is a cautionary tale about expanding the postseason in any sport and thus devaluing the regular season. (e.g. college football playoff)

#63 Minnesota
#73 Maryland
#120 Northwestern

that's it. That's it. The expanded format really gave UM a free pass for an underwhelming regular season. And to their credit they took advantage. should have been a solo HR. 

The replays at the CWS have been awful. Why use it if you aren't going to overturn the incorrect calls.

Very well put. But you needed to throw “sip umpire” in there somewhere to make it perfect.

I am honored, on behalf of my alma mater, to be so constantly on your minds, *sniff*.

I think that betting on baseball games is about as foolish a bet as one can make, but I'd certainly give the edge to Vandy tonight.  Which means Michigan will probably chase Rocker in the 2nd inning and win this going away.

14 hours ago, Augustus said:

Nice job, Blue.  Yet again.

UCLA has gotta be thinking "why'd these last-4 fucks wind up in our super?"

Yes.  I'll say it again, but this was our best team probably ever.  And just caught a team of destiny.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

#63 Minnesota
#73 Maryland
#120 Northwestern

that's it. That's it. The expanded format really gave UM a free pass for an underwhelming regular season. And to their credit they took advantage.

Aggy has a point

16 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

#63 Minnesota
#73 Maryland
#120 Northwestern

Not that you don't have a point, but how do you feel about March Madness?

I'm not sure it devalues the regular season, as much as it can allow teams to play a tougher schedule because they don't have to feel like it's one loss and you are out (football - unless you are Alabama or other SEC). CFB schedules, largely, schedule away from marquee opponents to shield teams away from potential losses.

I give Michigan credit for overcoming having a shortened season by playing in the Winter and Late Winter (aka spring) in the Midwest.
(and it takes a lot for me to give the Piss & Blue credit for anything)

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not that you don't have a point, but how do you feel about March Madness?

I'm not sure it devalues the regular season, as much as it can allow teams to play a tougher schedule because they don't have to feel like it's one loss and you are out (football - unless you are Alabama or other SEC). CFB schedules, largely, schedule away from marquee opponents to shield teams away from potential losses.

I give Michigan credit for overcoming having a shortened season by playing in the Winter and Late Winter (aka spring) in the Midwest.
(and it takes a lot for me to give the Piss & Blue credit for anything)

I believe cairn horn was quoting things that ags have said, not voicing his own opinion.  

• Like 1

ESPN is running it into the ground, as they do, but that John Kerr performance from the 1962 CWS is incredible.  In one day, he had 2 CG, 19 IP, and 313 pitches.  Oh, and he had the game-winning sac fly in Game 2 of the day.