2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

Joe and Bernie equally being up 10 points on Trump is proof how shitty presidential election polls are right now.  2 candidates, who couldn't be more opposite with policy and direction of this country, are equally dominating Trump? Maybe there's a simpler explanation: name recognition. 

In all of the presidential polls, Trump is polling the same against EVERY major candidate around 40-41%. IMO the only reason Bernie and Biden have the biggest leads is because everyone knows them. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Marianne should get a pass to all debates, including the presidential debates. 

She's not any crazier than Ben Carson or any dumber than Betsy DeVos.

That's the difference between the two parties right there.  An idiot among the Democrats gets laughed off the stage and an idiot among the Republicans gets promoted.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Here is Pete's problem according Vox (accuracy not guaranteed).

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/27/18759807/pete-buttigieg-town-hall-protesters-police-shooting-2020

“Pete has a black problem,” Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH), the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, told the Daily Beast in a scathing indictment of 2020 presidential candidate and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. The millennial mayor has been making the case that his experience as a small-city executive makes him fit for the Oval Office. But he’s run into a roadblock.

“I don’t know of one black person out of Indiana that supports him,” Fudge said.

Last week, Buttigieg addressed criticism at home, particularly from his black constituents, in the aftermath of a police shooting that exposed racial tensions in his town. A South Bend police officer shot and killed 54-year-old black resident Eric Logan on June 16, responding to reports that a man was breaking into cars with a knife. The police officer’s body camera was turned off at the time. The city is investigating the shooting. 

. . . Buttigieg canceled several campaign stops in the wake of the shooting, including a Democratic National Committee event and several fundraisers, to meet with community leaders and answer constituents’ questions. But he’s had a rocky homecoming. Several black residents openly questioned whether he cared more about winning the votes of black voters in places like South Carolina than he does about fixing the injustices in his city’s public offices. 

“Are you really here because you care about blacks, or are you just here because you want to be the president?” one woman shouted at Buttigieg during a protest about the shooting, the New York Times reported.

. . . [His controversial South Bend Gentrification Project] 

Eight years ago, South Bend saw a 3.9 percent drop in population during the recession and was deemed a “dying city.” Under Buttigieg’s mayorship, the city has reversed that narrative, a record he says makes him qualified for the White House. But increasingly, critics are asking: Who was the city revitalized for? 

While much of South Bend is white, 40 percent of the city’s roughly 100,000 people are black and Latinx, according to recent census estimates. A city-commissioned study on racial inequalities in the city from 2017 found the black population in South Bend has higher levels of poverty and unemployment than the country. About 40 percent of black residents are living below the poverty line, and there’s an 11 percent unemployment rate in that community. 

Buttigieg’s “1,000 Houses in 1,000 Days,” a project to knock down vacant and abandoned homes to develop the town, has been criticized for disregarding the communities of color — something Buttigieg has acknowledged.

The housing project reportedly sowed some early distrust between Buttigieg and the communities of color. The homes that were destroyed were primarily in black and Latinx neighborhoods. The program pressured homeowners to repair the homes by raising fees and fines on code violations. If the repairs weren’t made, the homes were leveled. The city didn’t knock down homes that had residents, but in some cases, the policy meant the city was bulldozing homes that people of color had bought as investment property with hopes of renovating and improving down the line.

re: biden being a "slam dunk".  i think he is, only because i think at least 5-6 of these dems are, because i think trump is fucked.  that said, he's no better than the 8th or 9th best option.  if you put him on the far end, you would think he was hickenlooper who just happened to mention obama a lot.

re: pete and his answer, "because i couldn't get it done."  this is what leadership looks like.  own your shit.  the buck stops here.  trump deflects fucking everything, never takes ownership, never apologizes, never takes blame for shit, always pointing fingers (often at people he appointed or hired).  biden spent the last month deflecting and avoiding and flip-flopping - instead of just admitting that he's grown/changed his mind/evolved in the 40 years of being in politics, and times have changed.  the contrast with pete on stage with biden was obvious, and a good moment he needed coming off the no-win situation in sb.

right now i think authenticity is winning out.  pete admired bernie for a reason (and i'm sure still does, i just used past tense because of the essay).  bernie is always fucking bernie.  he owns it.  he probably won't win, but he won't sell out who he is for a shiny answer.  pete is young, but he's got conviction.  cnn just called him "the adult in the room."  he's gonna be a force for a long time, assuming he chooses to live a public life of service.

i still am predicting a warren-pete ticket, and can't wait for those debates.  make kamala ag and we won't remember who the f barr ever was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/27/18759807/pete-buttigieg-town-hall-protesters-police-shooting-2020

washpark - you seem interested in pete.  we've had a pretty spirited conversation with a ton of interviews and videos on the buttigieg 2020 thread for the past few months, you should go check it out.

• Like 1

Chris Christie is on Colbert reviewing the debate. No shock, he thought former prosecutor Kamala did a great job. But he wants to see how she responds in the next one. Tonight she was on offense the whole time. The next debate, people will be coming at her. So we’ll see how she handles being on defense. 

And Christie ripped into Chuck Todd. 

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Pete has to gain trust from POC. It wont' be easy. That Vox article is a bit slanted with a collection of critical stories of Pete's record. There are others that paint a more positive picture. I recommend you dig a little deeper if you're interested in his candidacy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Just want to understand how much I got to pay for the “free” stuff?   $1,000,  $10,000, $50,000 per year?

I believe we will need to see your income before assessing an amount since it's all based on a progressive income tax.

You can upload images of your 2018 tax info here.

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You make enough to pay Amazon’s share? Now you and the other GOPers can fuck off out of this thread. 

Pretty sure a lot of posters in this thread, no matter what end of the political spectrum they come from, own a few shares. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Pete has to gain trust from POC. It wont' be easy. That Vox article is a bit slanted with a collection of critical stories of Pete's record. There are others that paint a more positive picture. I recommend you dig a little deeper if you're interested in his candidacy. 

I like Pete a lot but that dude has as much of a chance at winning the PoC vote as Michael Cera does making the cover of Ebony magazine.

Yang appeared to be well-versed on the issues that plague the nation and understands some of our future problems. Technocrats scare me generally, but he is willing to talk about the problems that will only accelerate in this nation. But - he has so little support. That leads to less air time in these debates. And his message does not get broadcast. I wish he had a little more time, but he needed to grab the time - they were not going to give it to him. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yep. He got shook tonight.

Harris might come out of this as your front runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harris has basically been non-existent going into tonight. She definitely nailed this debate. Now people will more closely vet her career as a prosecutor. Let's see what unfolds. 

I'm not sold on her yet. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Harris has basically been non-existent going into tonight. She definitely nailed this debate. Now people will more closely vet her career as a prosecutor. Let's see what unfolds. 

Harris performed well tonight, but you are right. The others will hit that issue harder next time with her. And they will go after her, unlike tonight. 

After just two debates, I still have no idea who a frontrunner might be (although I still have favorites). 

I do think that there's a great group of people who have the experience and ideas to serve as leaders for the future.. cabinet members, other key positions. 

I hope that we don't lose some of that possibility in this process. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Wow, Harris is easily the best debater in the field and it isn't even close. Her attacks were very well organized. I would love to see her against Trump. 

logic doesn't matter to Trump and his base. He's all about angry white people and just waves off all truth as lies or fake news.  We should know that by now, reality means nothing. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

logic doesn't matter to Trump and his base. He's all about angry white people and just waves off all truth as lies or fake news.  We should know that by now, reality means nothing. 

You're right, but stooping to his level in a debate will be the worst thing anybody can do against him. 

I would like for at least one of the presidential candidates to be able to make a coherent, detailed point. Is that too much to ask for? 

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Kamala is great when she goes after someone, either on a debate stage or Senate hearing. She can definitely dish it, but not convinced she can take it. 

I like Kamala. When she announced, I was all in, but have since gravitated towards Warren and Pistol Pete.

I would happily vote for Harris, but here's the weird thing....she was on with Chris Matthews after the debate and he tells her that the Biden camp chastised her for attacking him and are saying this is exactly what Donald wants..... 

Blank stare

Your response, senator Harris? 

Uhhh ummm uhhh I.....I uhhhh no 

What the fuck? How can she be an executioner during the debate and then fumble fuck a softball question after? I'm a little worried that she's all peaks and valleys... 

3 minutes ago, NowThis said:

and no matter what he says, he's at 40-41.

his base isn't big enough.

They should have Pete moderate a debate between Castro Warren Harris and Biden and then have Bernie interview them after. What’s his face who was interjecting last night in the booth with Swalwell Gillibrand and a drunk Marianne. Yang on the touchscreen, cut to Bennett somewhere in a blizzard for weather. Beto can play guitar with At The Drive In during breaks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I like Kamala. When she announced, I was all in, but have since gravitated towards Warren and Pistol Pete.

I would happily vote for Harris, but here's the weird thing....she was on with Chris Matthews after the debate and he tells her that the Biden camp chastised her for attacking him and are saying this is exactly what Donald wants..... 

Blank stare

Your response, senator Harris? 

Uhhh ummm uhhh I.....I uhhhh no 

What the fuck? How can she be an executioner during the debate and then fumble fuck a softball question after? I'm a little worried that she's all peaks and valleys... 

of course fucking biden is sad at being attacked.

he's acting so fucking entitled.  when did this shit become #histurn?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Despite tonight Biden still has the best chance of beating Trump, but Harris, Warren, Pete are better candidates who right now would be less likely to win. Do you take the chance on one? Warren and Harris yes, Pete no.

Ask me at the beginning of the day and I'd say, fuck it, let's pinch our noses and elect the good center right republican uncle Joe. I dare you to argue against any scenario that ends with Donald no longer being POTUS....couple bourbons in, and I say fuck that, much better to lose fighting for what's right, than to be that shitty cop who doesn't commit crimes, but looks away when the partner does. 

• Like 6