2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

She strikes me as the type who will play defense against Trump by attacking. He's not going to get her on her heels. Basically using his playbook, but being smarter, more convincing, more educated and fact-based, and not an orange lump. She will murder him. Kill kill kill.

There is a 100% chance she gets a “grab her by the pussy” moment from him. Nobody, maybe in the history of ever, has gone after him face to face the way Kamala would. It won’t matter to his base, but it might cause some women to cross the aisle, or at least stay home on Election Day.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

There is a 100% chance she gets a “grab her by the pussy” moment from him. Nobody, maybe in the history of ever, has gone after him face to face the way Kamala would. It won’t matter to his base, but it might cause some women to cross the aisle, or at least stay home on Election Day.

People said the same thing about Hillary. 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

She strikes me as the type who will play defense against Trump by attacking. He's not going to get her on her heels. Basically using his playbook, but being smarter, more convincing, more educated and fact-based, and not an orange lump. She will murder him. Kill kill kill.

She'd totally fuck up Trump. I'm not convinced she'll come off as well with a smaller group of D candidates and people start taking aim at her. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yep. No way he can keep his ego in check when being accosted and outwitted by a black female. 

My primary worry with Kamala early on, being relatively unfamiliar with her, was the "coastal elite" image that the GOP is great at foisting upon Democratic candidates (see: Hillary). No way they'll get Kamala with that one. She's too gritty and too sharp. She will fuck him up given the chance. I like her a lot. A lot. I like Pete and Liz too. I hope Biden and Bernie fall off and we have those three in the end. It'd be a can't-lose situation.

Edited by BradInATX

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Maybe - but he's got a long, long way to go from his 1%.

I’m not putting too much stake in numbers while the field is so crowded.  I think those change as these debates occur and folks drop put.  Crowded field skewing numbers.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I might have to get behind Kamala because watching her eviscerate Donald Trump onstage would be very satisfying.

The idea of a black woman verbally raping Trump in front of about a hundred million people is so karmically excellent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Can’t control what people say, but the two are in different universes when it comes to stage presence and debate skills.

Yeah. I never thought Hillary was going to run circles around him. I thought he was going to bully her. Thinking she was going to make him look bad was either wishful thinking, or a failure to pay attention to what was going on.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

Yep. No way he can keep his ego in check when being accosted and outwitted by a black female. 

My primary worry with Kamala early on, being relatively unfamiliar with her, was the "coastal elite" image that the GOP is great at foisting upon Democratic candidates (see: Hillary). No way they'll get Kamala with that one. She's too gritty and too sharp. She will fuck him up given the chance.

Ahhh yes, the Liberal Californian wouldn’t be foisted upon. 

Just now, Alvin89 said:

Ahhh yes, the Liberal Californian wouldn’t be foisted upon. 

Was Hillary a Californian? And yet the GOP was able to turn her into the coastal elite vs. a NYC real estate trust fund white trash golden toilet guy. They're good at it. It won't work on her. Though I think it would work on Warren or Sanders.

Despite tonight Biden still has the best chance of beating Trump, but Harris, Warren, Pete are better candidates who right now would be less likely to win. Do you take the chance on one? Warren and Harris yes, Pete no.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Despite tonight Biden still has the best chance of beating Trump, but Harris, Warren, Pete are better candidates who right now would be less likely to win. Do you take the chance on one? Warren and Harris yes, Pete no.

This is literally the core of what I'm struggling with and probably will be between now and March. Biden is a slam dunk in the general but is the most meh candidate that ever meh-ed. I like Warren a lot but I see her as a huge risk. Right now Harris seems like the middle ground - would probably beat Trump, would probably be a good president. I think Booker would be a slam dunk vs. Trump as well, but he's running on fumes right now.

I don't share your concern with Pete. I think he'd mop the floor with Trump. But I don't think he really has a chance to be the nominee.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I think I agree with all of this right now but I also believe nothing is set in stone quite yet.

They are redundant - how do their ideas differentiate from one another? 
Liz has proposed a good number of very liberal policies that Kamala hasn't touched. Student loan forgiveness, free college and of course her half baked "bReAk Up Big TEcH" plan.

I think Harris is pretty centrist relative to Warren.

I also think she's playing to the woke left a bit right now. I don't think she's as far left as she's playing on TV right now. Her track record doesn't support it.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

They are redundant - how do their ideas differentiate from one another? 

Harris is wishy washy and has almost no firm principles. Like Pete, she's a performance artist. She's fucking great at it (as he is), but when it comes to policy she's pretty empty.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

BTW did anyone catch that Harris said she would sign an EO to ban "importation" of assault rifles? Was that just a misspeak, or was her use of "importation" vs. "Sale" intentional?

she wants ARs to be made in America

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Harris is wishy washy and has almost no firm principles. Like Pete, she's a performance artist. She's fucking great at it (as he is), but when it comes to policy she's pretty empty.

She went right at Biden.  He hit back. She got the better end of the exchanges. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:
2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Didn't Warren used to be a Republican?

Yep, but I believe in her conversion story and her saying, "I'm with Bernie on this" mean she has truly seen the light.

Just now, Anastasis said:

She went right at Biden.  He hit back. She got the better end of the exchanges. 

Yeah him coming at her with, "I became a public defender, not a prosecutor" was solid shit.

But she absolutely whipped his ass 5 rounds to 1.