Which Pass Interference Penalty Do You Prefer?

Vic Mackey

Which Pass Interference do you prefer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 15 yard penalty
    • Spot Of The Penalty

The 15 yard variety that high school and college enforce? Or the spot of the penalty that the NFL enforces?

I think both have their pros and cons. NFL prevents a defender that got burned from purposely dragging down an offensive player. Well I guess he could to prevent a bigger play or a score but it's still going to be a big penalty. But on the other side, a subjective call from a ref can turn a game on a huge penalty. And you get teams who just throw it up seeing if they can gain huge yardage on a spot foul pass interference. I think the NFL now has PI able to be challenged? After the Saints/Ram nfc championship game ending.

But with the 15yd variety, a player can get burned or a definite big play/score is developing and they purposely commit a penalty to prevent it to keep it from happening. And its only 15 yards no matter if it was 70 yards down the field.

I feel there could be some middle ground but don't know what that would be.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If offensive holding in the end zone is a safety, why isn’t defensive holding or PI in the end zone a touchdown?

I think it could be another topic but why is any defensive penalty a 1st down besides offsides?

I don't think incidental contact on a 3rd and 25 should be an automatic 1st down.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with there being a "regular' and a 'flagrant' call.  Regular is everyday contact that impedes the receiver on a given play. 15 yard call.

Flagrant is deliberately grabbing a playing as a last ditch effort to prevent a big gainer or  TD.  The defender is about to be beaten for 60 yards, but a standard call gives the offense 15 yards.  That's is not right, from a competitive standpoint.

All of that being said, I still hate the 3rd and long call where the offense just throws the ball up hoping for a call to bail them out.  Refs should practically swallow their whistles at that point.

Edited by slorch

59 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't have a problem with there being a "regular' and a 'flagrant' call.  Regular is everyday contact that impedes the receiver on a given play. 15 yard call.

Flagrant is deliberately grabbing a playing as a last ditch effort to prevent a big gainer or  TD.  The defender is about to be beaten for 60 yards, but a standard call gives the offense 15 yards.  That's is not right, from a competitive standpoint.

All of that being said, I still hate the 3rd and long call where the offense just throws the ball up hoping for a call to bail them out.  Refs should practically swallow their whistles at that point.

This is what I was going to type. 15 for normal interference (contact too early, getting tangled in a jump ball, etc). Spot foul for stuff like wrapping them up or tackling them because they’re getting burned. 

• Like 1

NFHS rules allow for an additional 15 yards on top of the 15 yard pass interference if it ruled intentional, but, as a high school official in Pennsylvania, I have never seen it called.  I think most coaches and players don't even know it exists.  I can't imagine to how many people would lose there minds if their team was penalized 30 yards.

I don't think Texas UIL uses NFHS rules for football, so I don't know if the have it.

I don't have-- or am honest enough to admit not having-- a nuanced view of the subject. I grew up in the 80s/90s and to me, that was what football was supposed to look like, so I tend to think of any liberalization of rules that favors the offense (specifically the passing game) as being detrimental to the overall experience.

The idea that interfering with a deep pass is worth 40 fucking yards is just absurd to me, although when it's my team's receiver that gets tackled, I guess I'd be pretty happy with the call.

I agree with 15 for unintentional and spot for intentional, but only if they use my system of replay, which is a guy in the booth watching the live broadcast who can call down to overturn the play if he sees something obvious on the replays. He can signal down for 60 extra seconds if needed but nothing more and the call stands if he doesn’t say otherwise. No officials going to the monitor and no extended delays. We all see within a few seconds on the live broadcast replay if it’s a bad call.

Since my system will never work I say 15 yards because i think it’s pretty rare that a db intentionally interferes to avoid a catch.

I'd stick with the 15 yards (don't really watch the NFL so fuck them.) I know it would sometimes result in unfavorable outcomes but fuck all these rules designed to benefit the offense. If you want to do something like spot fouls within 2 minutes or so, fine. But I'd like to prevent watching every 3rd and long turn into hail marys where 50/50 balls are actually 50/50 PI calls with 40 yards gained. In general, offenses are a little ahead of defenses in terms of schemes. Make them earn that shit. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

23 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't have-- or am honest enough to admit not having-- a nuanced view of the subject. I grew up in the 80s/90s and to me, that was what football was supposed to look like, so I tend to think of any liberalization of rules that favors the offense (specifically the passing game) as being detrimental to the overall experience.

The idea that interfering with a deep pass is worth 40 fucking yards is just absurd to me, although when it's my team's receiver that gets tackled, I guess I'd be pretty happy with the call.

Seeing how defenders have been draped all over our receivers I would tend to think the actual calls on the field (NCAA) favor the defense.  If you are going to get burned for a TD and you tackle the WR, how does that favor the offense if they only get 15 yards and a first down?   

50 minutes ago, Nivek said:

If you are going to get burned for a TD and you tackle the WR, how does that favor the offense if they only get 15 yards and a first down?   

That doesn't favor the offense, it is equitable between the offense and defense. Or, at least, more equitable than a spot foul. There is never any guarantee a deep pass is actually going to be completed. 

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That doesn't favor the offense, it is equitable between the offense and defense. Or, at least, more equitable than a spot foul. There is never any guarantee a deep pass is actually going to be completed. 

No guarantee that the pass will be dropped or that it won't go for a TD either.  If the defender thinks it is sailing out of bounds or out of reach he has the option to not interfere.  

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I hate the spot foul especially given the inconsistency in which it's called.  I also hate that the rule just assumes you would have caught it otherwise.  Does an offensive PI assume the defender would have intercepted and award them the ball? 

speaking of which, they need to call OPI way the fuck more accurately.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

If the defender thinks it is sailing out of bounds or out of reach he has the option to not interfere.  

which you would assume he would do-- I am saying the spot foul presumes the pass will be completed, and I have watched way too many easy TDs bounce off a guy's hands to agree that the proper penalty for blatant interference should presume the completion

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

which you would assume he would do-- I am saying the spot foul presumes the pass will be completed, and I have watched way too many easy TDs bounce off a guy's hands to agree that the proper penalty for blatant interference should presume the completion

If the defender tackles/ severely impedes the WR, is he not also assuming the catch will be made?

On 6/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:

And you get teams who just throw it up seeing if they can gain huge yardage on a spot foul pass interference.

i really hate this penalty. it's the offense trying to get a penalty rather than making the play.  it's the same reason everyone hates james harden's game. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

If the defender tackles/ severely impedes the WR, is he not also assuming the catch will be made?

There is a difference between the defender making that assumption and the rules favoring that assumption. 

Saying "tackles/severely impedes" also implies we know definitively what the defender is thinking, which, you've seen Big 12 refs. I'd rather they not be able to make assumptions like that.

Ok.  point conceded when you bring up Big XII officials.  LOlz.

I'm cool with a spot foul in the NFL, but not necessarily in the NCAA.

Edited by slorch