The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe I'm way out of touch on vintage prices, but shouldn't a '58 original Strat pull more than $35K?  Like, way more?

Not that I'd pay it if I had the money, but I thought those were $200K guitars.

No $35k is in the right range.  Saw a lot of 54s at the guitar show in that range. They made a lot more of them then the 1400 or so odd 57-60 LPs.  Hence they're an order of magnitude less expensive.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I guess my perspective has been skewed by the Hendrix/Gilmour/Clapton sales.

There are some wild ones out there.  Just try finding an Oly White 1969 Strat for a reasonable price.  Un possible due to its association with Hendrix at Woodstock.  

The numbers on pre-CBS Strats/Teles are really all over the place, but their somewhere in the 250-300 per year range.  So for Strats, that means there are very roughly 11 years of pre-CBS production.  I know the early years are on the low end of the range, and things probably ramped up until CBS bought them out.  But using the low number, that's 2,750 Strats.  This is all back of the napkin kind of stuff, so I'm sure someone will come along and prove me wrong.  The show prices were 54-57s in the 25-35k price range, depending on condition.  Then the 57-65s were a little less, but not much.  The custom color ones for all those years were top dollar.  Some I saw in the 35k-45k range.  

• Like 1

There are some wild ones out there.  Just try finding an Oly White 1969 Strat for a reasonable price.  Un possible due to its association with Hendrix at Woodstock.  
The numbers on pre-CBS Strats/Teles are really all over the place, but their somewhere in the 250-300 per year range.  So for Strats, that means there are very roughly 11 years of pre-CBS production.  I know the early years are on the low end of the range, and things probably ramped up until CBS bought them out.  But using the low number, that's 2,750 Strats.  This is all back of the napkin kind of stuff, so I'm sure someone will come along and prove me wrong.  The show prices were 54-57s in the 25-35k price range, depending on condition.  Then the 57-65s were a little less, but not much.  The custom color ones for all those years were top dollar.  Some I saw in the 35k-45k range.  

Sokd me. Im gonna sell all my guitars and buy a single 54 Tele. Then retrofit it with Filtertrons!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ill believe it when we are listed on the flyer, but playing Psycho Fest just got a little more real. They just asked for a band photo and how many rooms we need! It would by far be the biggest show I've ever been involved in, and I still have only learned half the songs and we've yet to play a gig together; though we do have one booked. FB_IMG_1652999250013.jpgPLV22-18x38-poster-v17a-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

I've long sung the praises of this era (1987--early 1990) as some of the best guitars they made.  Very under the radar period for Fender.  

I’m happy to see someone else say this.  I think the first few years of the Fender “custom shop” lines up with those years.  In my (amateur non-collector) experience, those are just terrific guitars that maybe don’t have the same “vintage” panache/price as guitars made 20 years prior, but they are noticeably higher quality in workmanship.  I’ve suggested to others on this thread to consider that era when looking for their Love-Connection Fender.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

No $35k is in the right range.  Saw a lot of 54s at the guitar show in that range. They made a lot more of them then the 1400 or so odd 57-60 LPs.  Hence they're an order of magnitude less expensive.  

The slabs bring the real money. You can find a deal on pretty much any other year if you look.

• Like 1

There are some great band names on that list

Crematory stench
200 Stab wounds
Church of the cosmic skull
Belezebong
Year of no light

Outstanding.

There’s actually quite a few bands I’ve heard of on that lineup. I’d love to see Intronaut.

That’s awesome AUTF!

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

I've played a few, and it needs a setup, but this thing feels and plays better than any strat I've ever played. The boy listened to me and did good. Even has some buckle rash.

299f53ae172bd4296854bcf0f6fca452.jpg8c1304f03df9085391f8cc224defe5a5.jpg4172bc484daa08295f8cd62f34e0e321.jpg

wait, you're white?!?!

• Haha 1

I had to refresh myself on what slab means in context of a stratocaster (a slab of rosewood attached to the maple neck for the fingerboard, rather than a thinner veneer).

My 98 american standard looks slabby, but I don't know when they did what.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

wait, you're white?!?!

that's "his" son.

that's a good looking strat. I think you guys are right on that an American Fender from that period is a sweet spot for guitar value.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good lord, that 54 burst Strat.  I've seen new guitars that look less mint.

New theory:  when buying a new Fender top line guitar (whatever "American Standard" is these days), buy two.  Play one.  Lock the other one away for decades.  Tell kids I will come back from the grave if they open the case before 60 years have elapsed.  Finance their retirement.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord, that 54 burst Strat.  I've seen new guitars that look less mint.

New theory:  when buying a new Fender top line guitar (whatever "American Standard" is these days), buy two.  Play one.  Lock the other one away for decades.  Tell kids I will come back from the grave if they open the case before 60 years have elapsed.  Finance their retirement.

What I should have done with my Star Wars figures in the 70's.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I had to refresh myself on what slab means in context of a stratocaster (a slab of rosewood attached to the maple neck for the fingerboard, rather than a thinner veneer).

My 98 american standard looks slabby, but I don't know when they did what.

that's "his" son.

that's a good looking strat. I think you guys are right on that an American Fender from that period is a sweet spot for guitar value.

The 59-62 were slabs. A good example is McCready’s 59. His wife paid $250,000 for his. Well, she used his money, but you get the point.

9 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

The 59-62 were slabs. A good example is McCready’s 59. His wife paid $250,000 for his. Well, she used his money, but you get the point.

OK, so now I'm confused.  I was corrected that vintage Strats are in the $35K range, and now there's evidence of $250K for a '59.  What's the difference that causes the price hike?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

OK, so now I'm confused.  I was corrected that vintage Strats are in the $35K range, and now there's evidence of $250K for a '59.  What's the difference that causes the price hike?

It's a very minor point, and I think the guitar he's talking about is an outlier.  I was just looking at pics of slabs from the guitar show a couple weeks ago and they were in the $40-50k range.

Three things matter:

1. Slab board - the fingerboard was cut to go flat against the maple neck.  This means they wound up using more wood than the later veneer boards which are thinner and match the curve of the neck.  

2. The condition of the guitar (mint/beat up, etc.)

3. The finish - custom colors are always worth more than sunbursts.

I think the six digit figures for Strats pretty much have to line up with all three.   Otherwise, you're paying too much.  

Look at the ones I posted up thread - minty.  Then go to reverb and just plug in a Strat for a given year, and you'll see that they are in the range we talked about unless they meet some/all of the above factors. 

One thing there's no accounting for is association with a particular artist.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I’m no expert, as my experience is only on those specific years. However, I have not come across a Strat of that group go for under $100k that was authenticated. The more provenance the higher the number. 

Couple of other examples. Ed Kings 59 Strat was at Carters a few years back, the asking price was around $250k if I remember correctly. 
Joe B also has a 59 he paid over $100k. I don’t remember the provenance, but there was something, something Buddy Holly era story that went with it.

9 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Fishman… I’m curious at that price it’s a steal but he won’t ship 😡

Oh yes. Had to look closer. 

You ever see the Caparison Joel strotzel?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DELJSMBK--caparison-guitars-dellinger-jsm-joel-stroetzel-signature-black

Edited by Butch Had Not

On 5/19/2022 at 5:46 PM, tbone_ said:

There are some great band names on that list

Crematory stench
200 Stab wounds
Church of the cosmic skull
Belezebong
Year of no light

Outstanding.

ASG is pretty bad ass.

AUTF is moving up the ranks fast. Only problem is with a 25 year minimum waot he may not live long enough to make his Hall Of Fame induction.

• Like 1

Okay, this week I made only my second guitar purchase in probably the last 6 years or so... the other one being the now-for-sale R8 in 2018.  And this guitar was maybe at the top of the "someday" wish list for me.  

Also, the splurge is the reason the R8 is for sale.

I'm afraid it's spent the last couple days in some insanely hot and humid UPS trucks - just got it a couple hours ago.  So I'm going to heed Uncle Bill's warning on the sticker and let it acclimate overnight before unboxing it.  Of course there will be photos.  And if you think y'all are being teased, imagine being the person in the room with the object of your desire but not being allowed to touch it (lot of jokes there, right?).

I won't let you down.

IMG-4263.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4