Last Jedi Was So Bad I Only Saw It Twice

Eskimohorn

So, I just had a moment of temporary sanity regarding this... somewhat touchy subject.

The natural reaction to any sort of disagreement on anything, no matter how subjective, is to assume that the other side are morons. Those who dislike TLJ will insist to those of us who liked it that TLJ was a "bad" movie, and those of us who did like it will assume that those who didn't are somehow morally deficient.

But I think the real reason a certain large portion of the fan base hated TLJ, and the reason the critics and others in the fan base (like me) loved it, is the same reason: Because the movie did something unusual and surprising. It was not a fun movie, it wasn't trying to be a fun movie, it had its own purposes and was incredibly well-constructed around those purposes but -- if you were going to see it because you were hoping to have a similar experience to what you had with the original Star Wars, you weren't going to get that.

Critics are going to love a movie that does something like that, that turns a genre movie into something else, because critics have to see every movie that comes out. They've seen every storyline and they're bored with it all. They need some novelty thrown in just for the experience to stop being like work, to remind them why they started going back into movies in the first place. 

As for those of us who aren't critics, I think it has to do with how willing you are to let someone else drive the franchise, tell his story in that universe, and judge it on what he was trying to do, rather than on what you wanted to see happen.

tl;dr: Luke was the most powerful Jedi to ever live, but he chose not to use that power, and for some of us, that's a powerful message, and for others, that's a soul-crushing disappointment.

21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

So, I just had a moment of temporary sanity regarding this... somewhat touchy subject.

The natural reaction to any sort of disagreement on anything, no matter how subjective, is to assume that the other side are morons. Those who dislike TLJ will insist to those of us who liked it that TLJ was a "bad" movie, and those of us who did like it will assume that those who didn't are somehow morally deficient.

But I think the real reason a certain large portion of the fan base hated TLJ, and the reason the critics and others in the fan base (like me) loved it, is the same reason: Because the movie did something unusual and surprising. It was not a fun movie, it wasn't trying to be a fun movie, it had its own purposes and was incredibly well-constructed around those purposes but -- if you were going to see it because you were hoping to have a similar experience to what you had with the original Star Wars, you weren't going to get that.

Critics are going to love a movie that does something like that, that turns a genre movie into something else, because critics have to see every movie that comes out. They've seen every storyline and they're bored with it all. They need some novelty thrown in just for the experience to stop being like work, to remind them why they started going back into movies in the first place. 

As for those of us who aren't critics, I think it has to do with how willing you are to let someone else drive the franchise, tell his story in that universe, and judge it on what he was trying to do, rather than on what you wanted to see happen.

tl;dr: Luke was the most powerful Jedi to ever live, but he chose not to use that power, and for some of us, that's a powerful message, and for others, that's a soul-crushing disappointment.

If the movie you're talking about was The Dark Knight, I would agree.  TLJ was just a shitty movie directed by someone who didn't understand the universe he was making a movie in.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

It wasn't "incredibly well-constructed" though.  Like, at all.  I don't give shit about them telling their own unique story.  Go for it.  But you better do it really, really well with a billion dollar franchise.  They did not. 

I didn't like a dozen story elements in TFA and thought it could have been better...but it was still a well told, well written, enjoyable production.  This was trite and hackneyed.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

So, you've literally shoved yourself into the box I put you into in the previous post.

Serves me right for trying to do anything to a pig other than piss on him!

I'm not in to pee stuff, but you be you.  You're seeing greatness in a movie where it's just not present.  TLJ has a nonsensical plot and terrible dialogue.  Those aren't signs of a great movie.

Edited by kevwun

If the movie you're talking about was The Dark Knight, I would agree.  TLJ was just a shitty movie directed by someone who didn't understand the universe he was making a movie in.

TDK is a great example of a master director doing multiple things unconventionally while captivating audiences. If you recall, Batman fanboys were aghast at the Heath Ledger casting. They recast Rachel. They executed the Harvey Dent transformation perfectly. The tension on the Ferry scene was amazing, showing the bad looking guy throw the bomb out, then showing the loudmouth passenger chickening out. He made statements about privacy, chaos, humanity, the duality of man, revenge. Meanwhile, it kicked ass.

TLJ executed 1/3 of the scenes well, maybe only the Rey scenes with Kylo and Luke. The rest was a mix of filler, circus and shitshow.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I would be absolutely fine with that in a stand alone story, but it really makes absolutely no sense to do that in the middle of a trilogy. That's my biggest complaint with this current "trilogy," it's not a well-planned, established story that has an overarching arc defined before the 3 movies were made. JJ Abrams had that vision, and wanted to write and direct all 3 movies to see it through, instead they gave his outline for episode 8 to Rian Johnson, who threw it all out, and made up his own story. That doesn't work for me as a fan of Star Wars, nor does it make sense for someone trying to sell a movie, and it's especially jarring for the fanbase when you have the context and story of 7 prior movies that play into episode 8. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 1

Marvel makes bold choices all the time that on paper shouldn’t work, but they do.  There is a difference though. 

Marvel: top decisions are made by people who love the Marvel universe. 

DC and Star Wars: top decisions are made by people who are afraid of fucking up/rocking the boat. 

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Funny, Mark Hamil didn't like the script either.  But what would he know about Luke Skywalker.

And then after talking with Rian about it, totally bought into it. I mean, if you're going to pull Mark Hamill into this, he's not exactly on your side, here.

He said the story is honest because it has to be honest. “To take him seriously, you have to take him into that realm,” he said. “It felt right to me.”

https://deadline.com/2018/03/rian-johnson-mark-hamill-sxsw-star-wars-the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-1202336357/

But again, as you say, what would he know about Luke Skywalker?

I mean, y'all talk as if I'm somehow the only person who saw the greatness that was in the movie. Not only did I see it, but half the people who watched the movie did, including nearly all of the critics whose job it is to do nothing but watch movies and analyze them.

Edited by Rimbo

I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with Disney telling him to say he loves it now.  That was just a tad bit embarrassing to them.  Critics get rewarded for positive reviews and don't like pissing off giant studios.  50% of the people who saw this movie really liked it isn't a very ringing endorsement.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

Hold out, "Star Wars" fans. Your protest of the SJW-plagued franchise may finally get Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy ousted from her position, because word on the street is Disney CEO Bob Iger knows she's on the verge of killing the Golden Goose and is now searching for someone to revive it.

In a special report from Grace Randolph at Beyond The Trailer, Bob Iger recently held a secret meeting with Disney top brass, including the head of Pixar and Marvel, on ways to fix the broken franchise, which began its death spiral with "The Last Jedi" and then was pronounced mostly dead with the box-office failure that is this summer's "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

It's an open and shut case: "Star Wars" fans reject the direction that Kathleen Kennedy has taken the franchise, and they should, considering that the veteran producer once infamously said she felt no responsibility to "cater" to the predominantly male fanbase that has carried the space opera through both light and darkness throughout the decades.

Not that "Star Wars" should not evolve with the times and avoid refreshing creative choices. The problem is that Kennedy destroyed the "Star Wars" legacy and put a half-baked, heartless carbon-copy in its wake. The whole franchise feels less like a creative labor of love and more like a cheap cash grab that cons the public into buying tickets based on brand recognition alone, all the while pushing messages about feminism and capitalist greed. Nobody likes it and feminists are too few and far between.

So now Disney has a dead horse on its hands and has no idea what to do with it. The simple solution — cleaning house by firing Kennedy — will not be easy. According to Grace Randolph, insiders say that if Iger just up and fires her, nobody in Hollywood has the cajones to take the reins as she would leave behind a house of loyalists who will have the daggers out for whoever fills her shoes. Here's how the secret call went down, according to Randolph:

There was a call, a secret conference call with all the top Star Wars brass in attendance, the kind of call where, apparently, security guards stand outside the different conference room doors and makes sure that no one eavesdrops. But here's the kicker. Top brass at not only Star Wars, but also Marvel and Pixar, were also in on the call, but listening only, likely at the request of Bob Iger, who wants their advice on how to fix this s--tshow. And yes, he does know it's a s--tshow. Evidence? The word that he wants Kathleen Kennedy out. He actually does, but, nobody will take her job. Several have been approached, but turned down, including J.J. Abrams, who turned it down flat and didn't even hesitate.
Why does nobody wanna run Star Wars? Well, it's probably pretty obvious for many of you, but let me spell it out for you. And that's in risk-averse Hollywood, nobody wants to run a house divided, which apparently is what Kathleen Kennedy has created. It's divided between her loyalists, which she brought in and wear those "Force is Female" t-shirts, and the loyalists to the brand itself that were there before Kathleen."

The in-fighting fits insider reports that Disney has halted the production on all "Star Wars" anthology films following the failure of "Solo" this past summer. With the release of Episode IX come 2019, "Star Wars" will have to create a whole other trilogy that entices the fans once again. Kathleen Kennedy has done everything to ensure that never happens.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32378/report-disney-considers-firing-kathleen-kennedy-paul-bois?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Hold out, "Star Wars" fans. Your protest of the SJW-plagued franchise may finally get Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy ousted from her position, because word on the street is Disney CEO Bob Iger knows she's on the verge of killing the Golden Goose and is now searching for someone to revive it.

It's always hard to take these stories seriously when they focus on, or try to highlight, "SJW" stuff.   Rey/Finn/etc. were not the problem with TFA/TLJ.  Not even close.   Finn arguably would have been a great character if he had been killed in TLJ.

In fact, these people who get their knickers in a twist over "SJW" stuff have apparently forgotten than in both the original and prequel trilogies, half the time it was a woman, a young woman at that, who was the only one who had her shit together and/or had actual plans for getting out of a scrape.  They have forgotten Leia on the Death Star or on the Speeder Bike.  They've forgotten Padme scaling the side of the fucking mountain/palace, and in the throne room.  By the way, for a peaceful people, the Naboo had blasters stored in the throne.  The fucking throne.  But I digress.

Anyways, I rant because when you talk about SJW bullshit, it distracts the conversation away from piss-poor film-making and writing, it takes away from the people at the top not having a fucking clue about the direction they wanted the sequels to go, and it distracts from directors deliberately inserting scenes that serve no purpose other than fan service.

Say what you want about Lucas and the prequels, but he had a plan for all three movies.

And Rogue One had a definitive ending that it wanted to reach, and it reached it.  

TFA and TLJ's problems are that there was no Kevin Feige, or *GASP* George Lucas, who had an overall plan/focus for the series as a whole.

So I fully expect JJ to reverse/retcon stuff in TLJ for IX, and I expect it will be the most disappointing thing since AOTC.

Edited by atomheartbevo

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

TLJ is the worst of the Star Wars movies, by a mile. SW movies are about badassery. Episode 4 has Vader, and Peter “one swift strrroke” Cushing, and old Kenobi who’s not up to the task anymore but fuck it, why not. Episode 5 has Luke rising and Vader kicking his ass like the badass that he is. In Episode 6 it’s Luke, Vader and the Emperor. Now go back to Episode 1, Qui-Gon Jinn is a badass maverick Jedi, Maul kills him because he has little horns, and almost kills Kenobi not no. Episode 2 has more badass Kenobi, skilled but stupid Skywalker, and Christopher f’n Lee who fucking rules, and Yoda. Episode 3 has the rise of the Emperor, badass Kenobi, and Skywalker who’s now powerful and out of control. Fast forward to Episode 7, we have Kylo who’s pretty badass but kind of nuts, and Rey who holds her ground against him, and Snoke in the shadows who promises to be a evil as the Emperor. And then TLJ in which every character is a fucking pussy. No badassery at all. Snoke turns out to be useless. Kylo and Rey don’t kick any ass. Nobody kicks ass. Luke is a wasted, cowardly, bitchy old man. Everybody fucking sucks. The end.

It’s official. TLJ is worse than the prequels 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, XYZ said:

TLJ is the worst of the Star Wars movies, by a mile. SW movies are about badassery. Episode 4 has Vader, and Peter “one swift strrroke” Cushing, and old Kenobi who’s not up to the task anymore but fuck it, why not. Episode 5 has Luke rising and Vader kicking his ass like the badass that he is. In Episode 6 it’s Luke, Vader and the Emperor. Now go back to Episode 1, Qui-Gon Jinn is a badass maverick Jedi, Maul kills him because he has little horns, and almost kills Kenobi not no. Episode 2 has more badass Kenobi, skilled but stupid Skywalker, and Christopher f’n Lee who fucking rules, and Yoda. Episode 3 has the rise of the Emperor, badass Kenobi, and Skywalker who’s now powerful and out of control. Fast forward to Episode 7, we have Kylo who’s pretty badass but kind of nuts, and Rey who holds her ground against him, and Snoke in the shadows who promises to be a evil as the Emperor. And then TLJ in which every character is a fucking pussy. No badassery at all. Snoke turns out to be useless. Kylo and Rey don’t kick any ass. Nobody kicks ass. Luke is a wasted, cowardly, bitchy old man. Everybody fucking sucks. The end.

Not sure if serious.

You're really defending the prequels?  Episodes 1 and 3 had a few decent moments.  Episode 2 was complete garbage.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:33 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Not sure if serious.

You're really defending the prequels?  Episodes 1 and 3 had a few decent moments.  Episode 2 was complete garbage.

This. There is nothing remotely redeemable about Attack of the Clones. Just godawful from start to finish.

I think I probably said it earlier in this thread, the "prank call" BS at the very beginning of TLJ is a harbinger of the bad to come after it. The worst thing about TLJ is that is tedious. I was looking at my watch about 30 mins and just waiting for the damn thing to just end.

• Like 1

I didn't necessarily say I liked it. Rogue one is the only good movie in the universe. I watched this one because I was so impressed with r1 I thought I'd give the new ones a chance. 1-3 are trash, unpopular opinion but 3-6 are boring (and I really don't like the 3 main characters, Vader is wasted as a decent villain), haven't watched 7.

TLJ was ok and definitely had it's problems, but it filled a boring Saturday night just fne. I don't care about most of the things people are complaining about on here. 

On 6/12/2018 at 4:01 PM, longhornmatt said:

That is amazing.  There must have been some studio head or producer that kept the OT in check.  

I bet the Whills would have been better at portraying human emotions than Hayden Christiansen, though.

Hayden Christiansen's acting was so wooden, he was an affront to puppets everywhere...

Edited by Mileslong

I didn't necessarily say I liked it. Rogue one is the only good movie in the universe. I watched this one because I was so impressed with r1 I thought I'd give the new ones a chance. 1-3 are trash, unpopular opinion but 3-6 are boring (and I really don't like the 3 main characters, Vader is wasted as a decent villain), haven't watched 7.

TLJ was ok and definitely had it's problems, but it filled a boring Saturday night just fne. I don't care about most of the things people are complaining about on here. 

Man, there’s a lot to unpack there. How does somebody not like Harrison Ford’s Han Solo?
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 9:35 PM, Michael Knight said:

This is a problem not just with Star Wars but with literally every media, from Star Wars to Game of Thrones. Fans become so wrapped up in a thing that they believe they own it and woe be to anyone who dares to do something with the thing they love. Society just can't handle this shit anymore and everything either has to be some kind of puzzle that the audience can pat themselves on the back for solving or bullshit nostalgia vomit. But don't you dare take something that spoke to  me and make it speak to someone who isn't me.

The internet promised to connect us to people who liked what we liked and give a voice to everyone, the problem is most people just don't have a voice so they latch on to the loudest and most obnoxious noise they hear. TLJ made 1.3 billion dollars and was universally hailed by critics and yet we're supposed to believe no one liked it and its the worst movie ever made in the Star Wars franchise. The movie had problems and plot holes and ridiculous story lines , like every fucking Star Wars movie ever made. But for some reason this is the one that outrages people and you have to stop and wonder why that is and what it says about us. Or don't and just whine how they ruined your childhood.

Damn... Good shit.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, Michael Knight said:

This is a problem not just with Star Wars but with literally every media, from Star Wars to Game of Thrones. Fans become so wrapped up in a thing that they believe they own it and woe be to anyone who dares to do something with the thing they love. Society just can't handle this shit anymore and everything either has to be some kind of puzzle that the audience can pat themselves on the back for solving or bullshit nostalgia vomit. But don't you dare take something that spoke to  me and make it speak to someone who isn't me.

The internet promised to connect us to people who liked what we liked and give a voice to everyone, the problem is most people just don't have a voice so they latch on to the loudest and most obnoxious noise they hear. TLJ made 1.3 billion dollars and was universally hailed by critics and yet we're supposed to believe no one liked it and its the worst movie ever made in the Star Wars franchise. The movie had problems and plot holes and ridiculous story lines , like every fucking Star Wars movie ever made. But for some reason this is the one that outrages people and you have to stop and wonder why that is and what it says about us. Or don't and just whine how they ruined your childhood.

The problem is with Hollywood.  If you want to make a whole new movie and universe that has nothing to do with the "property," then do so.  The issue here is they USED that nostalgia, and the cannon to sucker people in to see their new vision that could not stand on its own.  If it was ground breaking and a great story why not just make a stand alone "White Bronco in Space Jam" movie?  Because no one would watch it.  The money was made off of the very obnoxious noise makers, not the content of the movie. 

They decided to make Fast and Furious 11 - without fucking cars and then complain when people don't get what they paid for.  Or adding light sabers to an Adam Sandler movie and calling it Star Wars.  If you don't want to use the star wars universe, or all of the precedent set up by the previous movies, don't call it Star Wars.  This shit show of a movie that would make the Razzie list if it didn't have Star Wars in the name.

The results of Solo at the box office (which appears to be a decent movie) directly correlate to this movie.  The people who would go to see any piece of crap with Star Wars felt betrayed by TLJ because they paid to see a Star Wars movie and instead got a jumbled nonsensical bag of crap.  It's the biggest bomb since JOHN Freaking CARTER.

• Like 2

I agree that fans are so infatuated with the universe there was just no way to make movies that were going to make people happy.  IMHO, AOTC is now and will forever be the worst movie made in the franchise.  TLJ I put as second worst.  Mary Poppins Leia and whiny bitch-ass Luke and purple neck cunt. 

However, I do give them some rope because I think the third movie will pierce together some of the issues that people have with the second movie.  

The next movie can’t possibly fix the mess that TLJ made. At best, it can get back to the badassery that made the original movies great and hopefully wash away some of the bad taste. Like, there should be a light saber fight between Rey and Kylo. No more bullshit about tugging at a saber until it explodes. Just have a good ‘ol duel.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

There are only about 12 people left in the Rebellion, so they kind of need to figure out where they are going to get more recruits to go against the biggest space army in the universe. That's a difficult hole to dig out of. 

Nonsense. Coast guard says you can safely seat 18 on the Falcon. They can still ramp up the rebellion by 50%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

There are only about 12 people left in the Rebellion, so they kind of need to figure out where they are going to get more recruits to go against the biggest space army in the universe. That's a difficult hole to dig out of. 

Star Wars

Episode IX

Recruiting Wars

• Like 1

The next movie can’t possibly fix the mess that TLJ made. At best, it can get back to the badassery that made the original movies great and hopefully wash away some of the bad taste. Like, there should be a light saber fight between Rey and Kylo. No more bullshit about tugging at a saber until it explodes. Just have a good ‘ol duel.

Not to burst bubbles but has Rey ever been trained in light saber? I assume Kylo was an expert and was tutored by fucking Luke Skywalker. Is it too much for a montage or mention of past experience? Am I missing something? It takes 10,000 hours to master a difficult skill! Luke was humping Yoda through the swamp!

Aw fuck it! The force just chooses people and they become stars like Kim Kardashian.

Not to burst bubbles but has Rey ever been trained in light saber? I assume Kylo was an expert and was tutored by fucking Luke Skywalker. Is it too much for a montage or mention of past experience? Am I missing something? It takes 10,000 hours to master a difficult skill! Luke was humping Yoda through the swamp!

Aw fuck it! The force just chooses people and they become stars like Kim Kardashian.

So we should expect a sex tape with Ray J?

6 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

She learned everything he knew, training and otherwise, when she fought off his attempts to read her mind in VII

Which is why her fighting style is exactly the same as his:

https://i.imgur.com/JeRdYHl.gif

Spoiler

(Also note that in both of these scenes, they're fighting something that isn't there.)

Furthermore, the scene when she beats off the attackers on Jakku is there to establish that she's already an experienced fighter.

Seriously. If any of y'all would stop and think for a minute, you'd be able to figure this shit out instead of constantly whining about "plot holes" that were clearly explained in the goddamned movies.

People mad about Episode VIII find plot holes and otherwise bitch about other movies

Citizen Kane: "They never explained the whole bit about 'Rosebud!'"

Casablanca: "Why didn't Captain Renault arrest Rick? He knew he did it! He was right there! So stupid!"

The Godfather: "'Take the Canoli?' Why would you make jokes there?"

The Wizard Of Oz: "Why did it have to be a Good Witch? Couldn't it have been a Good Wizard instead? And Glinda is such a Mary Sue! Too overpowered, obviously some chick's wish-fulfillment fantasy there."

The Graduate: "It's not that I hated it, it's just a bad movie." (Note: This line can be parroted for all of the above movies as well.)

Edited by Rimbo