Last Jedi Was So Bad I Only Saw It Twice

Eskimohorn

21 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

except WE all loved it pretty much universally and while we all pretty much thought 8 had potential but shit all over itself.

no you didn't you mis-remembering looking-at-the-past-through-rose-colored-glasses living-in-your-mom's-basement dweebs

Everyone loved ESB 10 years after it came out. In 1979? Only the critics loved it; the audience was saying... well, all the same dumb shit everyone's saying about Episode 8 now.

And don't get me wrong. It is dumb shit. :) 

18 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

You get the red mist when you open this thread, huh? Heart rate increases, get a little sweaty?

I am here to make a bunch of whiny bitchy nerds who are unhappy about a thing even unhappier. I'm here to piss on the pigs. Because it's fucking fun to do. I don't get to piss on pigs very often, and it's good to find pigs who aren't worth trying to raise up and treat them like the shit that they are. Makes me feel better for a brief moment.

Now, if I wanted to make myself unhappy, I'd try to educate you poor miserable stupid ignorant fucks. But you're not interested in learning anything, you don't want to enjoy the movie, so why should I bother? This is much more fun!

OH NO ROSE IS SO UGLY! he says as he pops his third pimple on his left scrote bag

Whadda buncha losers!

• Fuck You 4

Rimbo, I think we're about the same age, mid to late 40's which means we saw ESB on the big screen.  I realize I live in a somewhat isolated pocket known as Kansas, but I highly doubt that only the people that I knew at that time here were the only ones that enjoyed the fuck out of ESB.  We bought navy fucking winter coats and relived the Hoth sequences the following winter.  No one told Han the odds.  Darth Vader revealed he was Lukes dad, then cut off his fucking hand.  Han got fucking frozen (how ironic after spending a night exposed to the elements on Hoth), Luke and Leia used their wonder twins powers and the movie ended in the middle and the only thing we were pissed about was that it ended in the fucking middle.

Now if you're a millennial disregard everything I just said I'm sure you're absolutely right.

• Like 3

When I was growing up ESB was everyone’s favorite and it was pretty much unanimous (I was born in 1976).

That movie is fantastic. The Last Jedi is terrible. And Rimbo you seem like the angry one here. Congrats, you like a shitty movie. More power to you.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I am here to make a bunch of whiny bitchy nerds who are unhappy about a thing even unhappier. I'm here to piss on the pigs. Because it's fucking fun to do. I don't get to piss on pigs very often, and it's good to find pigs who aren't worth trying to raise up and treat them like the shit that they are. Makes me feel better for a brief moment.

Now, if I wanted to make myself unhappy, I'd try to educate you poor miserable stupid ignorant fucks. But you're not interested in learning anything, you don't want to enjoy the movie, so why should I bother? This is much more fun!

OH NO ROSE IS SO UGLY! he says as he pops his third pimple on his left scrote bag

Whadda buncha losers!

In 40 years I’ll come back on here and tell you that fucking TLJ was a sackless pile of shit.  That is so long as a fucking ice cream truck doesn’t shut it down for about tree fiddy before then. 

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Rimbo, I think we're about the same age, mid to late 40's which means we saw ESB on the big screen.  I realize I live in a somewhat isolated pocket known as Kansas, but I highly doubt that only the people that I knew at that time here were the only ones that enjoyed the fuck out of ESB.  We bought navy fucking winter coats and relived the Hoth sequences the following winter.  No one told Han the odds.  Darth Vader revealed he was Lukes dad, then cut off his fucking hand.  Han got fucking frozen (how ironic after spending a night exposed to the elements on Hoth), Luke and Leia used their wonder twins powers and the movie ended in the middle and the only thing we were pissed about was that it ended in the fucking middle.

Now if you're a millennial disregard everything I just said I'm sure you're absolutely right.

Eh. Depends on your neighborhood, I guess. We didn't have the internet back then when enclaves of fanboys/haters could get together, but we did have fan magazines. And the fan magazines told the tale of a split fanbase. The biggest issue, of course, being whether or not Vader really was Luke's Dad...

42 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

In 40 years I’ll come back on here and tell you that fucking TLJ was a sackless pile of shit.  That is so long as a fucking ice cream truck doesn’t shut it down for about tree fiddy before then. 

You'll sound really silly then, hahahahaha :)

Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean it's a bad movie. The critics have pretty much universally cheered TLJ, and they're right. And yes, while maybe in your local neighborhood everyone agreed on ESB, nationwide, the audience was split -- just like it was with TLJ, and for the exact same reasons.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You'll sound really silly then, hahahahaha :)

Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean it's a bad movie. The critics have pretty much universally cheered TLJ, and they're right. And yes, while maybe in your local neighborhood everyone agreed on ESB, nationwide, the audience was split -- just like it was with TLJ, and for the exact same reasons.

I know what movie is a shitty movie, and TLJ was most certainly one.  A movie that’s supposed to be made as part of a sequence of movies, that has virtually no noticeable storyline basis to the others because the director and his overseer wanted to make a statement, story be damned, is absolutely a pile of mindless shit.  

Edited by Trey3216

I read a great quote about how fans reacted to ESB after SW and how it's very different than the criticism of TLJ.  Guy said, ESB taught me the difference between what a feel good movie and a really good movie was.  Most of the criticism of ESB was it left so many things unanswered.  A ton of cliffhangers and in the 80's, you didn't do this.... The idea of a an overarching trilogy didn't exist. 

Star Wars was a complete story in itself because it had to be...... no one knew what it would be.  The narrative arc was completed in SW.  ESB changed all of that and made people agonize and wait to learn what happened to their heroes.  Was Vader really Luke's father?  WTF happens to Han Solo?  Where were Chewie and Lando going?  Can/Will Luke complete his training?  Will Han and Leia ever get back together?  This wasn't like Dirty Harry who's sequels were self-contained or even the Godfather, which wasn't really set up to be a trilogy on film.  SW invented the movie franchise and an incomplete narrative as an ending..... Those seemed to be most of the criticisms about ESB.  No one had every seen the structure of story telling.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Cleaning up quote
  • Like 3

Whadda buncha losers!

Uh huh.

A lot of you incel dorks take this Star Wars stuff way too seriously.  

https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-star-kelly-marie-tran-drops-instagram-after-months-of-racist-trolls/

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” star Kelly Marie Tran has erased all of her Instagram posts, with “Star Wars” fans pointing to months of racist trolling as the reason for her exit.

The deletion was spotted by Star Wars Facts, a fan site dedicated to the franchise, on Monday night, saying Tran had left because of “months of harassment.”

A rep for Tran did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment on why the actress erased her Instagram posts.

Tran — who played Rose Tico, a Resistance mechanic, in the latest “The Last Jedi” — has dealt with online harassment before. Her character’s page on Wookieepedia, a “Star Wars” reference site, was altered by racist trolls last year, changing her name to “Ching Chong Wing Tong,” and calling her “stupid, autistic and retarded.”

Previously, Tran used her Instagram account to chronicle her journey on the press tour for “The Last Jedi.” Tran’s account remains active, just without any posts.

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-star-kelly-marie-tran-drops-instagram-after-months-of-racist-trolls/

Damn that's fucked up. I mean sure the movie was total shit and her character sucked, but social media pussies are fuckin animals. Good for Jake Lloyd social media wan't around then cause he got it bad, but not this shitty.

Edited by crony
  • Like 1

As usual, Rimbo’s opinion sucks.  TLJ is a stupid movie with no plot and no protagonists.  It’s boring and preachy.  There are no relatable characters.  The antagonist isn’t intimidating.  And no one wants to see it again.  Not even kids.

• Like 4

When things are so bad that people are talking about a reboot after the 2nd movie of a trilogy, you know you fucked up.  Someone should have probably asked Rian Johnson if he actually liked Star Wars before they signed him on to direct TLJ.

this movie shit on all the previous movies before it.  it made insignificant main characters everyone has loved for decades.  it made a mockery of what the force is, the whole fucking reason for star wars. 

it was directionless and misguided at best, it is a steaming pile of shit directed and written by a fucking imbecile at worst.  deservedly so, rian davis may never find another job again.  who the fuck who hire this shitbag to write or direct another movie?  

So, I will reiterate my thoughts on the movie:  I don't have any issue with the strong female characters, including Laura Dern.  I don't mind the love story involving Kelly Marie Tran.  I actually found the gambling planet scene a bit of a breath of fresh air from the rest of the movie:  it introduces a new world and has some fun action and jokes.

That's not the issue:  The movie is hot garbage.  It's a boring, slow moving chase. It has gargantuan plot holes. It raises whole new questions that we never had before (Why didn't the rebellion have a cruiser just go to light speed into the Death Star in New Hope). Poe literally causes thousands to die due to his inability to ask Laura Dern what's the plan, instead cooking up some half baked mutiny, and afterwards, everyone is "LOL, whatevs."  A complete failure to develop Snoke, then just donking him off.  Luke as a grumpy old hermit drinking alien titty milk. Space Leah.  Gravity bombs in space.  I mean, holy fucking shit.

In short:  It's a legitimately terrible movie, the worst in the series, and I raised small children during the release of the prequels and have seen them a dozen times each. You can criticize this movie and not be some sort of incel shit heel.

Having said that, some of you come off terribly misogynistic in your comments. The movie is trash.  There are legit reasons it's trash.  The appearances of a female character or having a strong woman lead are totally fucking irrelevant.

How nobody saw the obvious flaws in this script is completely beyond me.  Unfortunately, because of the PC wars that have subsequently been waged over TLJ, we may never get a good Variety or Vanity Fair deep dive into how such a bad movie got made.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

I had not heard about Mark Hamill's comments until reading about it in this thread, but I remember when I was watching the movie that it seemed like he was angry to be acting in the movie.  I guess MH's objections with the script fueled a performance of Luke objecting to his place in the SW universe.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

So, I will reiterate my thoughts on the movie:  I don't have any issue with the strong female characters, including Laura Dern.  I don't mind the love story involving Kelly Marie Tran.  I actually found the gambling planet scene a bit of a breath of fresh air from the rest of the movie:  it introduces a new world and has some fun action and jokes.

That's not the issue:  The movie is hot garbage.  It's a boring, slow moving chase. It has gargantuan plot holes. It raises whole new questions that we never had before (Why didn't the rebellion have a cruiser just go to light speed into the Death Star in New Hope). Poe literally causes thousands to die due to his inability to ask Laura Dern what's the plan, instead cooking up some half baked mutiny, and afterwards, everyone is "LOL, whatevs."  A complete failure to develop Snoke, then just donking him off.  Luke as a grumpy old hermit drinking alien titty milk. Space Leah.  Gravity bombs in space.  I mean, holy fucking shit.

In short:  It's a legitimately terrible movie, the worst in the series, and I raised small children during the release of the prequels and have seen them a dozen times each. You can criticize this movie and not be some sort of incel shit heel.

Having said that, some of you come off terribly misogynistic in your comments. The movie is trash.  There are legit reasons it's trash.  The appearances of a female character or having a strong woman lead are totally fucking irrelevant.

How nobody saw the obvious flaws in this script is completely beyond me.  Unfortunately, because of the PC wars that have subsequently been waged over TLJ, we may never get a good Variety or Vanity Fair deep dive into how such a bad movie got made.

oh come on. alien titty milk was sorta awesome. 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

This is stupid..... another reason social media sucks.  The actress did nothing wrong.  Some people don't deserve mega-phones.

On another note, passive-aggressive Hamill was hilarious.  He was open about his confusion and distaste for Rian's interpretation of his character, but did his job and hope for the best.  Even now, you can tell he hates how Luke's character was resolved and although he probably wasn't rooting for TLJ to be rejected by so many fans, he probably has a little "I told you so" relief with it's reception.  The issue for Rian was he either didn't understand the character of Luke or he wanted to irrevocably change the character without earning it through the story.  The explanation for his character's change was stupidity.  

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I said earlier that female characters only seem to count if they're really badly written. 

Nobody cares when everyone loves truly badass, well written women like Sarah Connor or Ripley. You have to love the trite wastes of spaces like Holdo or Rose Tico otherwise you're considered a misogynist. 

Rose Tico is a prime example. Kelly Marie Tran is a charming, talented actress and when you see her in street clothes shes actually cute. Yet they turned her character into an annoying sack of potatoes.

KMT did a great job considering the garbage of a character they had her play. Its like rian Johnson was daring us to hate her. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ajax said:

I said earlier that female characters only seem to count if they're really badly written. 

Nobody cares when everyone loves truly badass, well written women like Sarah Connor or Ripley. You have to love the trite wastes of spaces like Holdo or Rose Tico otherwise you're considered a misogynist. 

Rose Tico is a prime example. Kelly Marie Tran is a charming, talented actress and when you see her in street clothes shes actually cute. Yet they turned her character into an annoying sack of potatoes.

KMT did a great job considering the garbage of a character they had her play. Its like rian Johnson was daring us to hate her. 

yeah, i completely agree with this. i have some more thoughts on your take here, but i'd add uma thurman in for the kill bills. lots of examples of strong female roles that don't involve being a passive-aggressive bitch or essentially a side kick.

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Poe literally causes thousands to die due to his inability to ask Laura Dern what's the plan, instead cooking up some half baked mutiny, and afterwards, everyone is "LOL, whatevs."  

Por asked her the plan, but for some reason she said just told him or anyone what the plan was. 

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Por asked her the plan, but for some reason she said just told him or anyone what the plan was. 

Huh?  What are you trying to say?  Holdo doesn't tell him the plan because he doesn't need to know the plan, he's not of rank nor part of her command staff.  Admirals don't have to tell Captains what the super secret plan is.  He had just gotten a battlefield demotion because he acted impetuously and recklessly.  He needs to learn to follow orders, which he didn't do in the opening because he wanted to take out a dreadnought (sp?) and is the cause of hundreds to die from an already shaky Resistance.  He literally should have been thrown in the brig for disobeying a direct order.  He is a monumentally retarded character, but hey, he's a hot shot pilot who apparently is one of the special three in the story, so we should take his side.  Silliness.  This is a large part of why the movie was poor.

Poe is written to be so blindingly stupid and insubordinate, it's a wonder he's not drawn and quartered.  I get a kick out of people getting worked up about Holdo.  She wasn't the problem, the problem is Poe is historically dumb and apparently because he's good looking allowed to get away with it....

Of course the biggest issue is Johnson misses the better opportunity here.  Instead of inventing some bizarre new tech which is never really explained, it would have been far easier and better to introduce a spy onboard arc or spy hacker having put a virus somewhere within their computer systems to explain how the New Order was able to track them.  It would have built a more interesting narrative and amped up the intensity of a rather boring space chase story.  Finding a spy or spies and then trying to solve the issue would have been far more interesting, IMO.  But instead, we get unexplained tech and trying to find magical codebreakers.... one who happens to be in a prison on a far off planet.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Even in the press tour before the opening Hamill was telling the public, on air and in print, that he didn’t agree with the script.  At the time I thought, “Well, he turned into a crusty old diva” because I wanted to be excited about the movie, but it was clear he was 100% right once I actually saw it.

Exactly. I did the same thing. It’s sort of speaks to our natural tendency to be optimistic. 

There are multiple poorly written characters, male and female in TLJ.

Oscar Isaacs "WAHOO!!!!!! SHOOTEM UP!!!" schtick is wearing terribly thin, putting aside his character should have been executed after the mutiny.  Bateman is right:  If you go with the context of the story, Holdo had a plan to save everybody and keep the core of the Alliance alive to fight another day.  Because of Poe, you can now fit the whole rebellion on to the Millennium Falcon.  Again, mutiny is an executable offense.  Mutiny that cause your side to be utterly wiped out?  Come on.

Finn's "DUR" routine was only digestible in context of Daisy Riddley's kick ass in The Force Awakens.  It gets old 10 minutes into the movie in TLJ.

I honestly thought Laura Dern did an outstanding job given the dumbassery she was forced to work with.   I'll give you Rose Tico was a bad character.  That's on the writers.

Edited by Bateshorn
I fucked up a timeline.

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But instead, we get unexplained tech and trying to find magical codebreakers.... one who happens to be in a prison on a far off planet.

who they don't even find, but they found another guy that is ALSO a magical codebreaker by pure fucking chance. that's was idiocy of the highest order. the casino sequence might have worked if it was truly a prison break, and they toned down some of the "these people got rich supporting both sides" crap.;

Everyone loved ESB 10 years after it came out. In 1979? Only the critics loved it; the audience was saying... well, all the same dumb shit everyone's saying about Episode 8 now.

This guy doesn’t even know when ESB came out (1980) but knows what all the critics had to say at the time.

You boys know what that means....

e4045cb5cbfa831687a0e819888523ab.png

The whole rebellion that's not the rebellion vs the empire that's not the empire should have caused more concern after The Force Awakens in hindsight.  It got given a pass because it was a decent enough movie, but it was a dumb idea that got things going down the wrong path.  The lack of planning on Kennedy's and Disney's part is pretty damn astounding.

Edited by kevwun

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The lack of planning on Kennedy's and Disney's part is pretty damn astounding.

this right here.

marvel showed the blueprint on how to produce multiple independent movies but still stick to a central plot line.  there doesn't seem to be anything in place for the SW franchise.  fucking amateurs running the franchise.

an enough with the old movies.  a main reason i didn't watch solo is because the motherfucker is dead.  i know how the fucking story ends.  why invest time into something that's already completed?  boba fett is the same shit.  he's fucking dead.  they have an opportunity to make new movies and characters.  why rehash stories of the dead.  

fucking idiots.

You know, actually, now that I think about it in a calmer state of mind, some of y'all may have a point.

I have to say, this particular scene with Hux really bothered me a lot. And while it doesn't, by itself, blow apart my whole "they said the same bad things about ESB" argument, it is definitely the first charge to go off in what may be the demolition of the whole building.

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Speaking of Marvel, I’m curious why they thought they needed to copy Marvel’s comedic tone by introducing the concept of prank phone calls into Star Wars, and do it in the middle of a battle in which everyone pauses fighting to take the call and let it play out, no less.  And then immediately follow that tension killing sequence with the heroic death scene that is supposed to be gripping an emotional.

That was the very beginning of the movie, and it did not set the tone well.

the same reason why the DC movies are a mess.  the leadership (from the corporate execs to the directors) is fucking clueless.  they don't have a good vision, script, and/or director.  so they insert shit that makes no fucking sense, not that the original movies did anyway.

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The whole rebellion that's not the rebellion vs the empire that's not the empire should have caused more concern after The Force Awakens in hindsight.  It got given a pass because it was a decent enough movie, but it was a dumb idea that got things going down the wrong path.  The lack of planning on Kennedy's and Disney's part is pretty damn astounding.

this is what i don't understand. they could have gone in any number of directions, and i don't even have a problem with han and leia's happy ending ruined by a shit son. the characters in TFA are all alright, except snoke, who has a fucking stupid name and apparently a non-crucial premise for even existing. how do they not write out the while fucking story from the beginning in at least outline/storyboard mode?

it would have been so easy to reframe the story with the empire being the new rebellion. instead, we get a "first order," which is the empire that's not the empire. they should not have been more powerful than the new republic (which they annihilate without really too much thought or care as story-tellers), but instead the remnants of the old empire that just won't die and actually uses terrorist tactics. i know that cuts close to the zahn premise, but that's because THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.

and the whole snoke thing still kind of pisses me off. i don't mind that he gets killed by his own apprentice, actually.  but i have to know who he is, where he came from, and how he came to power in order to give any kind of a shit about his death.

Edited by hayden_horn

compare thor ragnorok to tlj.  both movies wanted to turn the characters and storylines into a new direction.  Taika Waititi did a great job taking the thor's character and his storyline in a new direction.  the transformation is completed the latest avengers.  thor has become my favorite character in the mcu.

now compare that vision to what fuckhead rian johnson shit out with the tlj.  what the fuck?  the whole fucking movie is a mess.  there was no coherent story, no compelling reasons for character growth or transformations.  this is what happens when the head people don't have a fucking clue on how to make a good movie.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

You know, actually, now that I think about it in a calmer state of mind, some of y'all may have a point.

I have to say, this particular scene with Hux really bothered me a lot. And while it doesn't, by itself, blow apart my whole "they said the same bad things about ESB" argument, it is definitely the first charge to go off in what may be the demolition of the whole building.

It's funny that you post that because Star Wars has become a Rick Roll at this point, and I'm not falling for it ever again. The only reason to pay to see an SW movie at this point is for nostalgia and I can get that from beating off to slave Leia at home. You've perfectly encapsulated what the series has become: a joke. Bravo, sir.

• Like 1

VII and VIII both sucked, we're now 2/3 through this trilogy and there's no coherent story or dramatic tension at all.  I'd just as soon they had let Lucas take another run at it.

Rogue One and Solo were somehow much better movies despite being constrained in their plot and stakes due to being essentially prequels.

The chic who plays Rosie isn't at fault for having a shitty character but in reality most of the characters are shitty.  Luke is also a shitty character in this movie.  Rey and Leia were both shitty.  Poe is shitty as well.  They tried to make Finn have a Han Solo moment (take the money and run).   The Star Wars universe is fucked up, with the Rebels in control but a faction split away to form the Resistance and a 3rd Party (First Order) shows up out of nowhere and I guess rallies some of the Empire and rebrands them?  So the Resistance is now basically a bunch of mercenaries that no one wants or likes?    

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

this is what i don't understand. they could have gone in any number of directions, and i don't even have a problem with han and leia's happy ending ruined by a shit son. the characters in TFA are all alright, except snoke, who has a fucking stupid name and apparently a non-crucial premise for even existing. how do they not write out the while fucking story from the beginning in at least outline/storyboard mode?

it would have been so easy to reframe the story with the empire being the new rebellion. instead, we get a "first order," which is the empire that's not the empire. they should not have been more powerful than the new republic (which they annihilate without really too much thought or care as story-tellers), but instead the remnants of the old empire that just won't die and actually uses terrorist tactics. i know that cuts close to the zahn premise, but that's because THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.

and the whole snoke thing still kind of pisses me off. i don't mind that he gets killed by his own apprentice, actually.  but i have to know who he is, where he came from, and how he came to power in order to give any kind of a shit about his death.

Actually all of this is what annoys me more about TFA than TLJ.  TFA had some great action sequences, but at the end of the day, it was very lazy storytelling.

And it didn't just ruin Han and Leia's happy ending, it ruined Luke's, it ruined Chewbaccas's, and it ruined R2's and C3P0s as well.  It ruined the entire happy ending for the rebels and rebellion.

It's like JJ Abrams was saying "FUCK YOU FANS WHO LIKED THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY, I'M GOING TO MAKE ALL OF THOSE CHARACTERS MISERABLE LOSERS".

Hell, I'll give Rian some credit for killing off Snoke and for having Kylo Ren tell the SW fans by Proxy (through Rey) that they should ditch the past, because JJ fucked up TFA so bad.  

Harrison Ford deserves some of the credit though, because he insisted Han had to be killed.  You can't have Han be killed in some silly little accident or by some stormtrooper, no, it's got to have some gravitas, so, oh yeah, have he and Leia pop out a kid named Ben to kill him.  Well, since he's a Jedi, Luke would be involved somehow, so let's have him wipe out Luke's trainees.  Okay, now Luke is miserable as fuck, etc., etc.

• Haha 1