Jump to content

2020 New Music Thread


Recommended Posts

On 7/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, MoJames said:

Enjoying it. Never disliked anything my wife listened to of hers, but never really enjoyed anything of hers like this album.

I had always dismissed her as generic pop music until Ryan Adams covered 1989.  It became obvious that she was a very good songwriter that chose to perform in a style that I just don't like at all.  In a stripped down, instrumentally performed setting, I really liked it.

I discovered this on Youtube a few years ago and really dig these performances.  If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, MoJames said:

Enjoying it. Never disliked anything my wife listened to of hers, but never really enjoyed anything of hers like this album.

Same. I didn't pay much attention until Ryan Adams covered 1989. I like Folklore very much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

cardigan sounds like something off I Am Easy To Find. I read a Rolling Stone interview with Aaron Dessner about his collaboration with her. He sent her a file of what he had been working on for Big Red Machine. She took some of his instrumentation and sent him back cardigan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

This.  I have thought the same thing ever since seeing her perform on the CMAs years ago with Sam Bush, Vince Gill, and Allison Krauss. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I had always dismissed her as generic pop music until Ryan Adams covered 1989.  It became obvious that she was a very good songwriter that chose to perform in a style that I just don't like at all.  In a stripped down, instrumentally performed setting, I really liked it.

I discovered this on Youtube a few years ago and really dig these performances.  If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

 

 

I could do without those versions. She sounds better with more fleshed out production imo. Her voice isn't really strong enough to do it for me with just her and the guitar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Killers new album dropped today,  really, really dig it so far

Haven't enjoyed anything from them since maybe that Sam's Town album. I'll always give it a spin though secondary to the amazingness of Hot Fuss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, 4th&Five said:

10/23

 

The two tracks sound like everything he's put out since Wilco (The Album).

I absolutely love Wilco's first 6 albums, but my god it's become a snoozefest lately.  I think Jeff Tweedy has forgotten how to write hooks or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

he got to the last page of Jay Bennett's song book and the author is dead.  so.........

I think you're onto something there.

That said, he wrote some absolutely brilliant hooks before Jay Bennett came into the equation.  Almost everything he wrote for Uncle Tupelo, and AM are chock full.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok Cat Stevens or the artist previously but now sort of known by Cat Stevens put out Tea for the Tillerman 2.  I don't think I'm ok with it. The original has a very special space in my memories as the main album that makes me think of my dad. I know every nook and cranny of it. The new one feels like a money grab or something.

200w.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, NOMAAA said:

he got to the last page of Jay Bennett's song book and the author is dead.  so.........

What a crock of shit. Tweedy had to make some executive decisions over Bennett on YHF and it only resulted in one of the greatest albums ever made. Then Bennett quit the band and did basically nothing noteworthy on his own. Bennett's main contribution was cowriting most of Summerteeth. Tweedy was celebrated before Bennett ever showed up, would have been had he never showed up, and while he's been hit or miss since YHF, Wilco and Tweedy have both put out some good stuff since then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I absolutely love Wilco's first 6 albums, but my god it's become a snoozefest lately.  I think Jeff Tweedy has forgotten how to write hooks or something.

I agree with this a little. I like some stuff on The Whole Love but Star Wars, Schmilco and Ode to Joy have been pretty unremarkable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoJames said:

What a shit year it has been for new music. Thanks COVID, fully hoping all the artists are holding onto their albums until they can tour again.

Really? It’s probably been my best year in a decade. Shows on the other hand...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...