4th&Five

2020 New Music Thread

On 7/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, MoJames said:

Enjoying it. Never disliked anything my wife listened to of hers, but never really enjoyed anything of hers like this album.

I had always dismissed her as generic pop music until Ryan Adams covered 1989.  It became obvious that she was a very good songwriter that chose to perform in a style that I just don't like at all.  In a stripped down, instrumentally performed setting, I really liked it.

I discovered this on Youtube a few years ago and really dig these performances.  If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, MoJames said:

Enjoying it. Never disliked anything my wife listened to of hers, but never really enjoyed anything of hers like this album.

Same. I didn't pay much attention until Ryan Adams covered 1989. I like Folklore very much.

cardigan sounds like something off I Am Easy To Find. I read a Rolling Stone interview with Aaron Dessner about his collaboration with her. He sent her a file of what he had been working on for Big Red Machine. She took some of his instrumentation and sent him back cardigan. 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

This.  I have thought the same thing ever since seeing her perform on the CMAs years ago with Sam Bush, Vince Gill, and Allison Krauss. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I had always dismissed her as generic pop music until Ryan Adams covered 1989.  It became obvious that she was a very good songwriter that chose to perform in a style that I just don't like at all.  In a stripped down, instrumentally performed setting, I really liked it.

I discovered this on Youtube a few years ago and really dig these performances.  If she made an acoustic and/or basic rock/country instrumental (guitar, bass, drums, keys, maybe fiddle) album I would be there for it.

I could do without those versions. She sounds better with more fleshed out production imo. Her voice isn't really strong enough to do it for me with just her and the guitar.