2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

So a Yankee reporter who is also writing a book on the Astros sign stealing scandal is a trusted, unbiased source?  It probably won’t amount to much but it’s still fun to see the holier than thou Yankees and their fans squirm a little. They know they aren’t squeaky clean. 

• Like 4

Does anyone have a good link to the text of the first agreement between MLB and MLBPA from March?  I want to read the players side and what pay and salary concessions they point to giving up in these negotiations. 

Is their concession simply to be paid on a per game basis as opposed to an annual salary? And of course forgo normal bonuses tied to performance?  What have they given up?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Does anyone have a good link to the text of the first agreement between MLB and MLBPA from March?  I want to read the players side and what pay and salary concessions they point to giving up in these negotiations. 

Is their concession simply to be paid on a per game basis as opposed to an annual salary? And of course forgo normal bonuses tied to performance?  What have they given up?

The players are pissed because they think the owners aren't negotiating in good faith. They had an agreement in principle that players would forfeit contractually guaranteed salary amounts and only be paid on a prorated basis and then after the fact the owners tried to backtrack on it by saying that the earlier deal was predicated on fan attendance or some shit like that. As if both sides weren't aware that playing in front of fans at all was already very much in doubt......

The owners are in the wrong here. I think the MLBPA is correct to walk away from further negotiations with the billionaire owners. 

PLAYER SALARY

Each player signed to a major league contract at the start of the season shall have his salary determined by multiplying his full-season salary by the number of games scheduled (not adjusting for weather-related postponements or cancellations) divided by 162, minus any advanced salary. In the event of an additional interruption or delay, the salary shall be determined by multiplying his full-season salary by the games played by the player’s club divided by 162. Thresholds and amounts for bonuses, escalators and vesting options would be reduced by using the same formula. A player previously at spring training who is unable to report because of travel restrictions or visa issues would be placed on the restricted list and receive up to 30 days of salary.

https://apnews.com/dd87bcc774d608e53624594fe56fab0c

Edited by Gourmand

On 5/16/2020 at 3:39 AM, TonyTexas said:

Here are the relevant clauses in the March agreement that are at issue. 

There are no federal, state, city, or local restrictions on mass gatherings or other restrictions that would materially limit the Clubs’ ability to play games in front of spectators, with regular fan access, in each of the 30 Clubs’ home ballparks; provided, however, that the Commissioner will consider the use of appropriate substitute neutral sites where economically feasible.

2. There shall be no relevant restrictions on traveling throughout the United States and Canada.

3. The Commissioner determines, after consultation with recognized medical experts and the Players Association, that it does not pose an unreasonable health and safety risk to players, staff, or spectators to stage games in front of fans in each of the 30 Clubs’ home ballparks; provided that, the Office of the Commissioner and Players Association will discuss in good faith the economic feasibility of playing games in the absence of spectators or at appropriate substitute neutral sites.

#3 is what they are fighting over. This isn’t all on the owners. They have essentially been negotiated with themselves. The players haven’t really negotiated at all. Both of their offers were worse than the March agreement which assumed fan attendance. 

Edited by TonyTexas

The NBA not playing until July 31st and having an agreement over a week ago, plus the recent spikes in virus we have seen may give them judicial cover. They want to keep their end dates for TV contracts etc. Players aren’t concerned with what the Networks want and don’t care if season is extended. 

I wouldn’t envy that judge. What does he have to reference as to what is right and wrong during a pandemic?

And even if they are done negotiating salary, they still don’t have an agreement on safety protocols with the PA

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

The March agreement gives Manfred the power to schedule a season "of as many games as possible."  If he and the owners try to do a 48-50 game schedule, I don't see how that will fly in court considering they just proposed a 72-game season.  

Manfred can determine the schedule length at full pro rata salary if there is no negotiated agreement. The 72 game proposal was at 70% The MLBPA aren’t disputing this right or pushing back so I don’t see It as an issue. 

Manfred can determine the schedule length at full pro rata salary if there is no negotiated agreement. The 72 game proposal was at 70% The MLBPA aren’t disputing this right or pushing back so I don’t see It as an issue. 
"As many games as possible" doesn't sound like it's meant to consider profits. The agreement does not say "as many games as financially feasible." If they start in mid-July, 48 games is clearly not as many as possible.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

"As many games as possible" doesn't sound like it's meant to consider profits. The agreement does not say "as many games as financially feasible." If they start in mid-July, 48 games is clearly not as many as possible.

Do you have a link to the actual agreement discussing this? I’d like to see the context. 

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

so it's still the Astros' fault.  LOLz.  Baseball had such a history of labor harmony and the absence of bitchassery before 2017, right?  In the end, the haters still want more.

Play some games and they'll fucking get it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29302203/how-astros-luhnow-mindset-ruining-mlb

Buster got his rear kicked on Twitter Saturday for hypocrisy regarding Astros & Yankees.  May or may not be related.

Meanwhile,

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

Don’t see how a judge can rule against MLB for not playing all games possible with Covid spiking etc. NBA won’t play until the end of July. If baseball followed , that is approximately 60 days to get to the playoffs?  Baseball is not NASCAR. What evidence would the players be pointing to besides failed negotiation offers?  How long ago was the 82 game season offered?

It’s disingenuous for sure, but seems impossible to prove in court. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

36 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Don’t see how a judge can rule against MLB for not playing all games possible with Covid spiking etc. NBA won’t play until the end of July. If baseball followed , that is approximately 60 days to get to the playoffs?

If they don't start till the end of July, I'd agree.  But if they start mid-July, you can't agree to play "as many games as possible" and institute a 50-game season.  I really think the MLBPA fucked up by negotiating.  They should have just told Manfred in April to set up a season.

• Like 1

so it's still the Astros' fault.  LOLz.  Baseball had such a history of labor harmony and the absence of bitchassery before 2017, right?  In the end, the haters still want more.
Play some games and they'll fucking get it.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29302203/how-astros-luhnow-mindset-ruining-mlb

I’m genuinely embarrassed for Olney.

Holy moly

At this point, just cancel it. Fuck them all. Entirely possible that there will be only 1 season in the next 3 years. I’d say a strike/lockout in 2021 is likely unless the players decide the can’t afford one. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 6/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, Beau Vine said:

The March agreement gives Manfred the power to schedule a season "of as many games as possible."  If he and the owners try to do a 48-50 game schedule, I don't see how that will fly in court considering they just proposed a 72-game season.