Silky Johnston

Cowboy Boots

11 hours ago, housious said:

For all of you infidels out there, Tecovas will start releasing square toe boots in the next month or two. That's according to some dude who works at their store in San Antonio. 

If this is true, I might pick up some FQO. Need some black boots for suit days and since that’s the only time I’d wear black, would rather not spend 1k. My caiman luchesse are still in great shape (5 yo daily wear). Will have to take a closer look at the gators, though I wasn’t very impressed on my initial look. 

About 10 years ago I was "given" my father's old pair of custom boots, made by Charlie Dunn in the 1970s.  They were a birthday gift from my mother to him back when he moved to Texas.  I say "given" because despite being told they were mine, my father had no clue where the boots actually were.  I never expected to actually receive them.

Well a couple months ago they showed up in a FedEx box, and are not in great shape.  On first looking at them, inlays are discolored, leather is dry as hell, and they probably need a new sole. 

Where do I take them to for getting checked out/repaired to the extent needed?  I'm located in Houston.  Thanks.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, ERhine said:

About 10 years ago I was "given" my father's old pair of custom boots, made by Charlie Dunn in the 1970s.  They were a birthday gift from my mother to him back when he moved to Texas.  I say "given" because despite being told they were mine, my father had no clue where the boots actually were.  I never expected to actually receive them.

Well a couple months ago they showed up in a FedEx box, and are not in great shape.  On first looking at them, inlays are discolored, leather is dry as hell, and they probably need a new sole. 

Where do I take them to for getting checked out/repaired to the extent needed?  I'm located in Houston.  Thanks.

https://www.republicbootcompany.com/

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m happy to report the new Dan Post boots are pretty darned comfortable. If you can find some with new insoles, I’d recommend. 

How do they fit size wise? I wear between 10.5D to 11EE depending on brand wear 11D in sneakers.

24 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

How do they fit size wise? I wear between 10.5D to 11EE depending on brand wear 11D in sneakers.

I wear a 10.5 in sneakers, 9.5 M/D in dress shoes, 10 D in Tecovas, and a 10.5 D in Dan Post. 

I’d say Dan Post runs a 1/2 size small. I’d order up a half from what you wear in Tecovas. 

2019 Boot and Saddle Maker Trade Show is this weekend in Wichita Falls. I'm trying to convince the wife that we need to go, but there is literally no other reason to go to Wichita Falls (over four hour drive for us) and she just had a baby Monday night.

This may be old news but I just noticed Tecovas has raised their prices by $20 a pair for all their boots. They used to start at $225 for the Earl, which is now $245.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:59 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Ain't no way I'm spending that kind of coin on work boots. They look about like these Double H Boots at 50% more.

spacer.png

Double H makes a nice / comfortable boot 

Most of the time I have to visit project sites, I'm not getting on a plane. Do steel toes cause issues going through security?

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Double H makes a nice / comfortable boot 

Yep. Been wearing them for years. After break in they feel almost like a good leather soled pair of ropers.

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Most of the time I have to visit project sites, I'm not getting on a plane. Do steel toes cause issues going through security?

Nah. You gotta take them off anyways. Much easier to slip off a pair of boots than regular shoes.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, Masshole Horn said:

Exotics went up $40 looks like.  Time to look at Allen's house brand.

Any experience with those? They look nice comparable to Tecovas and the exotics are $60-$65 cheaper.

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Have to pay for all those new stores and staff.

Exactly what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Any experience with those? They look nice comparable to Tecovas and the exotics are $60-$65 cheaper.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I tried them on last time I was in Austin. The seemed on par quality-wise and actually fit me a little better; my high instep makes getting on Tecovas difficult.

Looks a bit like the Lucchese I or "french" toe, which has been around a long time.  Not for me, either, but doesn't evoke the same reaction as the kleenex box.

i.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I remember when men made fun of women for always buying new shoes. Probably still do.

I'm not sure how many pairs of boots I own, and quite frankly, I don't care.

I'm just looking for that next perfect pair.

Problem is I prefer wearing flip flops because it's always so fucking hot (Austin).

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looks a bit like the Lucchese I or "french" toe, which has been around a long time.  Not for me, either, but doesn't evoke the same reaction as the kleenex box.

i.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Definitely not a french toe, which is a more classic style. They look to be more like the Ariats that were popular ten years ago or so. Different profile, but similar width when viewed from the top.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Definitely not a french toe, which is a more classic style. They look to be more like the Ariats that were popular ten years ago or so. Different profile, but similar width when viewed from the top.

You would probably know.  They say "bovine" lining, instead of cowhide, or calf, or glove leather or some more conventional term.  Makes me think it's tripe or something.  Any idea what that means?

Bovine probably means regular cowhide or something. If it was calf, they would say calf. But they don't want to outright say it is regular cowhide. It sounds like they are cutting costs and raising prices to either realize more profits or realize profits at all. If they've expanded into retail space they are probably short on capital, so cutting costs makes sense. Of course, this is all just conjecture.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:16 AM, Masshole Horn said:

It's always said "bovine" lining on their boots. That isn't new.

Yes, I knew that.  I have always been curious about it. NAAL may not have.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, Masshole Horn said:

Another new direct to consumer Austin-based hecho brand: https://chisos.com

Priced well above Cuero and Tecovas... $495 for either style. No width options.

so the guy is making boots that are ethically made/sourced and that is his differentiator in the market? i know there are a ton of folks who care about that but...that is a high price

maybe the guy is going to make a killing, but come on man. dude is a Texas grad and his title at Chisos is "Founder and Chief Texan" - COME ON. Chief Texan? 

Dissatisfied with the existing options of uncomfortable and outdated boots, Roman decided to make his own. A University of Texas alumnus and veteran business owner, Roman ripped open all types of boots and spent months experimenting with improvements to both structure and design. Chisos boots forgo traditional western patterns for more Texan, understated motifs. A proprietary post-tanning process creates the unique softness and beautiful depth of the Chisos heritage cowhide.

G6KiF60p

just being curious here but is there anything that can be done specifically to make "more" comfortable boots compared to anyone else on the market?

side note

Spoiler

i thought with the focus on ethically sourcing he would be rather liberal. that is does not seem to be the case based on his twitter account

Anderson Bean are a couple hundred less and I can promise you his quality of materials and craftsmanship can’t hold a candle to theirs either. Hell I finally got my full quill AB’s in a few weeks ago and they were $438 after tax. Hard pass on “Chief Texan” and his “boots”.

Huge Anderson Bean fan as well. I own lots of brands of boots and even a pair of custom mades, and none are as comfortable as the Anderson Beans. I have put a ton of miles on them, and they are holding up fine. Will need new soles in a year or so I suspect. Wearing some Tony Lama's right now that were twice the money and not near as comfortable. In fact, I might kick the Tony's off under my desk for a bit. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, AB are about the best construction you can get for the price. I just wish they had more classic styles commonly available.

Same.  Rios is a tad more traditional.

If you want something more "traditional" (I'm still not sure what any of you mean when you use that in reference to boots), then check out Olathe. Same folks and same quality as AB, just a more 1880's looking boot. Something Curly Bill or Doc Holliday would have worn.

Round toes, something other than a square heel, single row of sole stitching, no double sole, top colors that only go to 10 (not 11), etc. Something you might wear with a suit on occasion.

As far as I know, Rios will make to order and it would probably be pretty easy/not that expensive to order a  modified version of a boot they sell.

However, the page for "custom" is no longer on their website.

Longtime lurker in this thread....

My wife bought me a pair of Maida's for my birthday earlier in the year. I finally went and did the fitting this week and should have them back sometime in January or February, hopefully in time for the HLSR. Going with black full quill ostrich. They are crazy expensive compared to any other boot I've ever owned, but everyone I've spoken to says I will like them.

I also bought my first pair of Tecovas recently and have been pleased. Will probably buy another pair when one of my cheaper brand pairs finally blows out. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I wear a 10.5 in sneakers, 9.5 M/D in dress shoes, 10 D in Tecovas, and a 10.5 D in Dan Post. 

I’d say Dan Post runs a 1/2 size small. I’d order up a half from what you wear in Tecovas. 

So if I normally wear a 12, you think go with the 13 then?

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If you wear a 12 in Tecovas, I’d suggest a 12.5 for Dan Post. 

They don't have 12.5. :(

Another new direct to consumer Austin-based hecho brand: https://chisos.com

Priced well above Cuero and Tecovas... $495 for either style. No width options.

Those are some overpriced boots.. and 3 of the 4 are ugly on top of overpriced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk