RGBIII

Fire Mike Yurcich

36 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

^ This. Once every Big 12 coach has several games worth of tape on this offense and we're still humming like we were on Saturday, I'll be ready to start the hype train. Not before.           

Edited by LTtxfan

Not sure which press conference it was, but Herman said pretty clearly a few weeks ago that calling plays was distracting him from head coaching and he was glad to have Yurcich calling the plays.  Wish I could remember where I heard it, but it seemed pretty clear he was the play caller and that distraction had ripple effects.  

For $5 million + a year, he should be able to be able to do both.

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

"I don't call plays and have several rings, but maybe you're right..."

tenor.gif?itemid=15006751

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, WBT said:

So...best offensive coordinator since Watson?

We ran up 689 yards of total offense. That's 11.68 Watsons. In one game. I leave the judgment to you.  

52 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

^ This. Once every Big 12 coach has several games worth of tape on this offense and we're still humming like we were on Saturday, I'll be ready to start the hype train. Not before.

He’s coached a lot in this league already. There’s plenty of tape at this level and at Ohio St. Have we ever made this level of hire on offense? 

26 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That's not how this works. His job is to know his strengths and weaknesses and best deploy them. Saban doesn't call plays, as mentioned above.

Edited by texifornia

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's not how this works. His job is to know his strengths and weaknesses keep the bagmen happy and best deploy his assistants. Saban doesn't call plays, as mentioned above.

FIFY

2 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

This is a really good point, but what kind of sample size do we need? I think we can all agree a few games isn’t nearly enough. I’d say he needs to coach in this conference for at least 4-5 years and then let’s see if he’s still running a top 5 offense in the country.  I just will not be sold on the guy until that happens and not a single game before. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a really good point, but what kind of sample size do we need? I think we can all agree a few games isn’t nearly enough. I’d say he needs to coach in this conference for at least 4-5 years and then let’s see if he’s still running a top 5 offense in the country.  I just will not be sold on the guy until that happens and not a single game before. 

Do you think there's absolutely no reason to be skeptical whether Yurcich running Gundy's offense = Yurcich running Herman's offense? I tend to think there is. 

1 minute ago, touchthemonolith said:

Do you think there's absolutely no reason to be skeptical whether Yurcich running Gundy's offense = Yurcich running Herman's offense? I tend to think there is. 

That wasn’t Herman’s offense. Yurcich is running Yurcich’s offense, which is the same thing he did at OSU when he called plays for 5 years. 

OSU was a nail biter every year, it's an offensive shootout. Yurcich would pull it off with 2-3 stars. What do you think he is capable of with the talent and #1 recruiting class each year while here?

CHIEF

The important difference to me was the score while the lights are on mentality.  That wasn’t Herman or Mack at all.  That was straight Spurrier and I love that mentality, especially in this league.  Spurrier subbed in the backups and kept throwing TD passes.  Bob learned it from him and passed it to Lincoln.  If we decide to play that style of offense  but actually play defense at some respectable level  it will be fun to watch.  Especially with Sam at the controls.  

I am in the show me camp too, but that was a damn good opening show, even knowing UTEP was trash.  

2 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

We ran up 689 yards of total offense. That's 11.68 Watsons. In one game. I leave the judgment to you.  

And UTEP didn’t even have Many Diaz on the sidelines. 

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That wasn’t Herman’s offense. Yurcich is running Yurcich’s offense, which is the same thing he did at OSU when he called plays for 5 years. 

Then I'm probably misinformed. I was under the impression that he'd kinda been brought in to put his 'spin' on Tom Herman's offense while taking over playcalling duties for the offense rather than installing an offense that was all his own. I was also under the impression that Mike Gundy has a significant voice in OSU's offense. But I could be dead wrong.

It don’t make a shit.  

the guy calling the offense on Saturday, whoever’s offense it was, scored 45 points on over 400 yards passing in a half of football.  That’s impressive 

I think both of their offensive philosophies are pretty similar but Yurcish having the time to focus solely on every little detail of the offensive scheme created a better outcome.  Oh and having a 4th year veteran QB doesn’t hurt.  

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

It don’t make a shit.  

the guy calling the offense on Saturday, whoever’s offense it was, scored 45 points on over 400 yards passing in a half of football.  That’s impressive 

I should be clear: I think Yurcich is likely to succeed here. He couldn't have gotten off to a better start and it'll be hard for him to be unproductive with Ehlinger under center, behind an offensive line anchored by a first-round caliber LT, with that stable of running backs, and with good--if unproven--WRs. But I'm now just naturally wary against declaring any coordinator as "the guy" after a few impressive early showings. We were singing praises about Todd Orlando until teams figured him out. The wunderkind Tom Herman got predictable with his playcalling and teams seemed to figure him out. Hell, I remember after watching us hang up 50 points on Notre Dame thinking that we'd found our guy in Sterlin Gilbert (who to be fair was trash and didn't have a resume at all like Yurcich). 

So I have to think it's reasonable to temper expectations from a coordinator after one (albeit great) game against a bad Conference USA team, when no one is exactly sure what this offense is going to look like.

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

I should be clear: I think Yurcich is likely to succeed here. He couldn't have gotten off to a better start and it'll be hard for him to be unproductive with Ehlinger under center, behind an offensive line anchored by a first-round caliber LT, with that stable of running backs, and with good--if unproven--WRs. But I'm now just naturally wary against declaring any coordinator as "the guy" after a few impressive early showings. We were singing praises about Todd Orlando until teams figured him out. The wunderkind Tom Herman got predictable with his playcalling and teams seemed to figure him out. Hell, I remember after watching us hang up 50 points on Notre Dame thinking that we'd found our guy in Sterlin Gilbert (who to be fair was trash and didn't have a resume at all like Yurcich). 

So I have to think it's reasonable to temper expectations from a coordinator after one (albeit great) game against a bad Conference USA team, when no one is exactly sure what this offense is going to look like.

This is a very reasonable take.

however, this is how I choose take Coach Yur-my-bitch’s first outing:

54EB139B-F4AB-4657-AD8C-34CFE478F70C.gif

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

Then I'm probably misinformed. I was under the impression that he'd kinda been brought in to put his 'spin' on Tom Herman's offense while taking over playcalling duties for the offense rather than installing an offense that was all his own.

The offense was definitely different from a scheme perspective. 

Edited by texasstrong12

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Look at us, doing OU things on offense. So proud.

Is he also shocked at how often holding isn't called?

Damnit, we need to not do that.  Otherwise I might feel a little twinge when bitching about ou dong it.

8 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

Then I'm probably misinformed. I was under the impression that he'd kinda been brought in to put his 'spin' on Tom Herman's offense while taking over playcalling duties for the offense rather than installing an offense that was all his own. I was also under the impression that Mike Gundy has a significant voice in OSU's offense. But I could be dead wrong.

Both Gundy and Herman obviously have input because they’re offensive HCs, but the schemes for both teams changed when Yurcich got there and he’s the one calling plays. Those are his offenses even if influenced by the HCs some. 

I think it was somewhat of an open question when he was hired about how much reign Herman would have him, but what we saw on Saturday night was all Yurcich’s offense. There were a ton of concepts and formations we’ve basically never seen under Herman in three years, and I’m extremely encouraged by that. Herman was an elite OC and play caller, but he obviously loses that when he’s trying to do that and be a HC week to week (he was still able to conjure up great game plans and performances when he had more time to prep for bowl games). 

8 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

And this is fair. I was just giving you a hard time with my first post. But like I said above, Yurcich has already proven himself in this conference and we have elite offensive minds in this conference, not defensive ones. A DC getting figured out happens way more often than an OC, so that’s a huge distinction. Gilbert knee how to install the Briles system but didnt really understand how to run it and had no counters. We already know from years of experience that’s not the case with Yurcich. 

I think the biggest factor that could affect our offense isn’t really whether teams will figure out the scheme but how our OL holds up against better competition. They didn’t have a great performance against UTEP and if they struggle more against better teams, it could certainly bog down the offense. 

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think it was somewhat of an open question when he was hired about how much reign Herman would have him, but what we saw on Saturday night was all Yurcich’s offense. There were a ton of concepts and formations we’ve basically never seen under Herman in three years, and I’m extremely encouraged by that. Herman was an elite OC and play caller, but he obviously loses that when he’s trying to do that and be a HC week to week (he was still able to conjure up great game plans and performances when he had more time to prep for bowl games). 

No.  Both are on record as saying its 50/50 of each.  Not just because of overlap rather they didn't want Sam to have to learn 100 % new system in his senior season.  Now it was 100% Yurcich calling plays, rhythm and flow and that is what we want. There was plenty of Th's offense that Beck just wouldn't run.  One could speculate for many reasons but let's keep it simple and just say he sucks.  

LIke you said Herman as an OC, prior to being infected about worrying about the time defense spent on the field, was a all about yards and points and gnf's about what the defense had to do.  Now as a young HC he knee jerked the other way and has worried too much about it so an anemic Beck was ok for him. 

I'm sure the % of Yurcich's offense will grow as it should, if it works.   We just need Ash to recruit and coach enough dudes to stay on the field more.  

Edited by RollLeft

I remembered watching OSU and thinking how the fuck are so many receivers open and why the fuck can't Texas get an OC who designs plays to creates routes to stress the D leading to open receivers. 10 fucking years later, Texas finally hired an OC worthy of being on the staff at Texas. Yurcich, a Senior QB, and a stable talented QB room is going to change the direction of this program. We can now win track meet games if needed, which is something that we could never say in the previous 10 years.

Who'da thunk it? Coaching matters.

Fuck Mack, Strong and Herman's last few years for having fucking shitty ass coordinators. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I remembered watching OSU and thinking how the fuck are so many receivers open and why the fuck can't Texas get an OC who designs plays to creates routes to stress the D leading to open receivers. 10 fucking years later, Texas finally hired an OC worthy of being on the staff at Texas. Yurcich, a Senior QB, and a stable talented QB room is going to change the direction of this program. We can now win track meet games if needed, which is something that we could never say in the previous 10 years.

Who'da thunk it? Coaching matters.

Fuck Mack, Strong and Herman's last few years for having fucking shitty ass coordinators. 

There is no way Mack can be included in the level of screw up Strong and Herman exhibited. Strong hired a guy which we made fun of for years for sucking at Nebraska and Herman hired a guy that got fired at Ohio State for sucking. No one here thought those guys had a chance of becoming successful. Mack hired Harsin which many here wanted and Applewhite which quite a few here thought could do fine.  Mack was the issue and not his coordinators, he put the handcuffs on his coordinators because he decided to run an offense for which the talent was not available. Most of all Mack became complacent toward the end. Yurcich is much better than those Mack guys and I am glad to see a guy that does not throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 6, yet I do not agree on the Mack OC comparisons to Watson and Beck.

Meant to post this earlier when Yurcich is showing off his plays but it sure seems like all of those plays need excellent pass pro to work well.  Or a weak opposing D. Nothing in those plays says 'assume all of a sudden the DE is in the backfield, or they blitz, here's what Sam does.'  I get it, it's hard to put that in a post, and you can't give everything away, but still.  Well, that's what we got Saturday night, Sam had all day to figure out where to throw it.  Sure would like to see what happens against a stronger D.

goddamn, Mack deciding to completely switch things up after our loss to Alabama in the rose bowl is still one of the most perplexing decisions I've ever heard of....especially given the offensive style suited to our current players at the time

It’s all about the OL and it has been the last decade. This isn’t new and it’s been a big complaint. It shouldn’t be a surprise ousux has done so well, they always have the best OL. I wasn’t necessarily impressed with the OL against utep. They need to be better ultimately for us to win. 

10 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Meant to post this earlier when Yurcich is showing off his plays but it sure seems like all of those plays need excellent pass pro to work well.  Or a weak opposing D. Nothing in those plays says 'assume all of a sudden the DE is in the backfield, or they blitz, here's what Sam does.'  I get it, it's hard to put that in a post, and you can't give everything away, but still.  Well, that's what we got Saturday night, Sam had all day to figure out where to throw it.  Sure would like to see what happens against a stronger D.

I understand your concern - but how many strong defenses do you expect this team to face this year?

TCU, maybe?  Baylor?  Maybe Iowa St improves from that truly awful debut?

And if/when they do face a tough defense in the playoff they'll be 11 games into this new offense and will have plenty of game reps for just about every situation.

8 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It’s all about the OL and it has been the last decade. This isn’t new and it’s been a big complaint. It shouldn’t be a surprise ousux has done so well, they always have the best OL. I wasn’t necessarily impressed with the OL against utep. They need to be better ultimately for us to win. 

Yep. Watching the Oline collapse while Mack did nothing 2006-2009 was so painful. 

43 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

There is no way Mack can be included in the level of screw up Strong and Herman exhibited. Strong hired a guy which we made fun of for years for sucking at Nebraska and Herman hired a guy that got fired at Ohio State for sucking. No one here thought those guys had a chance of becoming successful. Mack hired Harsin which many here wanted and Applewhite which quite a few here thought could do fine.  Mack was the issue and not his coordinators, he put the handcuffs on his coordinators because he decided to run an offense for which the talent was not available. Most of all Mack became complacent toward the end. Yurcich is much better than those Mack guys and I am glad to see a guy that does not throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 6, yet I do not agree on the Mack OC comparisons to Watson and Beck.

Harsin was the only coordinator worthy of being at Texas. Everyone else was meh or sucked. It took Vince saying leave me the fuck alone for Texas to win a Natty for Mack. Mack almost won with Colt, but Colt was the most accurate college passer in history and had 2 NFL receivers to throw to. 

37 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Huh? We ran plenty of quick hitters, Including screens, RPO slants, and crossers. we have hot reads if a team shows blitz, but UTEP didn’t do it much. I do specifically remember Sam calling a hot read on one UTEP blitz though. Yurcich has a lot of options routes and route combos that use a hi-lo, So some of the reads are dictated by the defense.
Ultimately, if Sam has time, why wouldn’t he go for the deep shots? I’m not sure why the team would get the ball out quick on hot calls or short reads when we don’t have to. 

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Harsin was the only coordinator worthy of being at Texas. Everyone else was meh or sucked. It took Vince saying leave me the fuck alone for Texas to win a Natty for Mack. Mack almost won with Colt, but Colt was the most accurate college passer in history and had 2 NFL receivers to throw to. 

Your post was the "previous 10 years." Now we go back to Vince and GDGD? Mack was the issue when he changed the offense after losing to Alabama. You tried to put Mack in the same category as Strong and Herman's hires. Now you say Harsin was worthy? You have made my point for me.

47 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Wonder what the average length of Sam's throws were vs UTEP -- tons of YAC Saturday lead to the the 400+ yard day for Sam??

Watching UTEP game reminded me of an offensive pass route concept much closer to what Joe Brady was running at LSU --  Should be much more effective against blitzes...

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder what the average length of Sam's throws were vs UTEP -- tons of YAC Saturday lead to the the 400+ yard day for Sam??

His YPA was 12.9 which if that holds would be a significant increase over previous years.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, Neonmoon said:

We all thought Manny Diaz and Todd Orlando were godsends their first season. Which just shows you we are all idiots. 

To be fair, they were... in their first season. Greg Robinson was also a godsend when he took over for Manny Diaz in 2013. And Vance Bedford's defense was pretty amazing in 2014, at least until they would finally give out from lack of depth and always being on the field. For whatever reason, whenever we bring in a new DC we instantly have a kickass defense and then it falls apart in year two, and after year three when it doesn't get  fixed we repeat the cycle. Clearly the answer is to get rid of the DC every year even though we had an amazing defense because it was their first year. I think we can pay them enough to make it worth their while, especially since it barely even seems to matter who it is as long as they're new.

I'm sure part of it is the opposing coaches just figuring a defense out after a while, and probably a new DC is more likely to focus on getting the fundamentals sound and keep things simple than a DC who is in year 2-3 and thinking more about getting their whole schematic system up and running. But even accounting for that it's weird how consistent it is.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Watching UTEP game reminded me of an offensive pass route concept much closer to what Joe Brady was running at LSU --  Should be much more effective against blitzes...

While I was reading your first sentence I was thinking your second sentence.

Joe made a ton of yardage beating the blitz by connecting quick and watching his guy run.  Anyone remember 3rd and 17?

Edited by jinx

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

While I was reading your first sentence I was thinking your second sentence.

Joe made a ton of yardage beating the blitz by connecting quick and watching his guy run.  Anyone remember 3rd and 17?

It's now referred to as "third and Orlando."

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Your post was the "previous 10 years." Now we go back to Vince and GDGD? Mack was the issue when he changed the offense after losing to Alabama. You tried to put Mack in the same category as Strong and Herman's hires. Now you say Harsin was worthy? You have made my point for me.

Why are you defending Mack?  Neither gdgd nor Applewhite are good enough to be oc at Texas.  Harsin was here for 2 of Mack's 16 years and even then was only a "co-"

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why are you defending Mack?  Neither gdgd nor Applewhite are good enough to be oc at Texas.  Harsin was here for 2 of Mack's 16 years and even then was only a "co-"

I am not defending Mack, I am just saying the Strong's and Herman's hires of Watson and Beck were in their own stratosphere of incompetence. Mack's hire of Harsin and Applewhite cannot be compared to be in the same neighborhood. Applewhite was not a proven terrible hire at every stop at the time or even now the way Watson and Beck were known to be before they got hired here.

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Our oline was better last year and they still beat us.  The oline has been an issue but the oc, imo was a bigger issue.

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I'm gonna assume you weren't impressed with OU's Line on Saturday either then. Not sure they broke 100 yards rushing against Missouri State. (without Brooks and Stevenson but still its Missouri State) 

Edited by Happy Gilmore
It was over 120 but still meh considering the competition

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am not defending Mack, I am just saying the Strong's and Herman's hires of Watson and Beck were in their own stratosphere of incompetence. Mack's hire of Harsin and Applewhite cannot be compared to be in the same neighborhood. Applewhite was not a proven terrible hire at every stop at the time or even now the way Watson and Beck were known to be before they got hired here.

Mack's decision to change our offense set us back a decade and imo is worse than all three scenarios.  It was this great mistake that lead to his demise.  I was not on the Harsin bandwagon but only now can i see how egregious that move was.  I'm not saying Harsin was bad, he just wasn't good for us.  Frankly Watson was a head scratcher and i'm sure Harsin, though not my choice, would have done better given time.  Again, we were ahead of the curve with zone read/spread offense.  Tech, Baylor, Aggie, Okie st, Ou all went to those types of offenses we were already dominating at.  At that time they were trying to keep up with us.  Then Mack f'd us.  We are just now getting back to the type of O we won a championship with.   Furthermore, for all his faults GDGD at least learned to adapt the offense to his personnel, ala VY and Colt.  He was a pro style offense guy who for the most part put his old crap system aside, except when he didn't (see  3rd and 5 old shitty habits), and called a hell of a zone read/spread play games.  We averaged some points in those days.  Unbelievably it wasn't enough.  The masses called for his head and mack went, need to run like Bama, Harsin offense.  Ugh.    

Edited by RollLeft

Huh? We ran plenty of quick hitters, Including screens, RPO slants, and crossers. we have hot reads if a team shows blitz, but UTEP didn’t do it much. I do specifically remember Sam calling a hot read on one UTEP blitz though. Yurcich has a lot of options routes and route combos that use a hi-lo, So some of the reads are dictated by the defense.
Ultimately, if Sam has time, why wouldn’t he go for the deep shots? I’m not sure why the team would get the ball out quick on hot calls or short reads when we don’t have to. 

What’s Sam’s completion % on deep balls? He needs to be smart picking what to throw.

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm gonna assume you weren't impressed with OU's Line on Saturday either then. Not sure they broke 100 yards rushing against Missouri State. (without Brooks and Stevenson but still its Missouri State) 

I didn’t watch that game because who gives a fuck. It doesn’t takeaway the fact our OL needs to be better. Not the fact that largely it has sucked for 10 years

Saw this on 247.  Yurcich as OC at Okie Lite vs Patrick Mahomes and Tech. 

Okie Lite scored 70pts.

Washington scores on reverse play like the one JWhitt ran vs UTEP at 40:45 mark

Yurcich sighting at 45:24 mark.  Yurcich used 2QBs in this game...

Edited by LTtxfan