National Championship pre game thread: #3 Clemson @ #1 LSU (ESPN 1/13 7pm)

Neonmoon

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And? Clemson just beat a better team than LSU has played all season.

Also, stop using stupid nicknames. Plus calling us #9 should be a big giant red flag that maybe those teams aren't as tough as their rankings at the time of the games indicate.

Relax, thread police.

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And? Clemson just beat a better team than LSU has played all season.

Also, stop using stupid nicknames. Plus calling us #9 should be a big giant red flag that maybe those teams aren't as tough as their rankings at the time of the games indicate.

and Clemson didn't even play that good and beat OSU, I didn't think that was possible. 

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so is the SEC over rated or not? I can't keep up.

Against the ACC? Nooooope.

Don't get me wrong. Clemson is a damned good team. I just think LSU has more grit.

Edited by RPM

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's stupid that this game is over two weeks out.

at first i was of that opinion, after last night i believe the extra week will help clempson.  crampkitty only had to play half a game.  clempson were in a 60-minute war.  the extra time to heal will help level the contest.

LSU is going to blowout Clemson.  Everyone wants this game to be close or a shootout but LSU is simply on another level this season and they’ve gotten better with every new challenge. 

Clemson is a good team and they’ve earned a right to be there but this isn’t going to be a close game.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LSU is going to blowout Clemson.  Everyone wants this game to be close or a shootout but LSU is simply on another level this season and they’ve gotten better with every new challenge. 

Clemson is a good team and they’ve earned a right to be there but this isn’t going to be a close game.  

This take is laughable

• Like 3

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Texas scored a bunch on LSU, Clemson will do the same.  Look out for Etienne, the difference maker.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hell if I were CFP I would be rolling that game out this Thursday night to get it done before NFL playoffs start rolling.  I sure as fuck wouldn’t be trying to get attention on the Monday after the divisional rounds.

I realize travel is a consideration so have the Semi earlier and bookend the whole bowl season.

The 6th after the NFL playoffs have started is bad. The 13th is absurdly bad.

the championship should be played on the saturday between the league conference finals and the superbowl.  title game location tbd based on nfl situation.

the neutral site semifinals should played on the saturday the day before the league conference finals.  college semi locations to be determined based on nfl situation.

the weekend of league divisionals is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the quarterfinals should be played on thursday and friday before the league wildcard round.  first neutral-site round.

the last week of the league is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the round of 16 should be played on thursday/friday/saturday 2nd to last week of the league, at the home stadium of the higher seed.*    the league agrees to leave that thursday and saturday alone.

the 3rd to last week of the league is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the first round (of 32 teams) is played 2 weeks after the conference championship games in a committee-fixed bracked, at the home stadium of the higher seed.*

in rounds 1 & 2, if a higher seed elects to play at a bigger stadium to capture a bigger gate that is their choice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Texas scored a bunch on LSU, Clemson will do the same.  Look out for Etienne, the difference maker.

Scoring a bunch of points in garbage time is a great way to make a game appear much closer than it really is.  Perhaps you can tell me the amount of time LSU played from behind this season? 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the championship should be played on the saturday between the league conference finals and the superbowl.  title game location tbd based on nfl situation.

the neutral site semifinals should played on the saturday the day before the league conference finals.  college semi locations to be determined based on nfl situation.

the weekend of league divisionals is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the quarterfinals should be played on thursday and friday before the league wildcard round.  first neutral-site round.

the last week of the league is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the round of 16 should be played on thursday/friday/saturday 2nd to last week of the league, at the home stadium of the higher seed.*    the league agrees to leave that thursday and saturday alone.

the 3rd to last week of the league is an off week for the college tournament to heal and sort out travel.

the first round (of 32 teams) is played 2 weeks after the conference championship games in a committee-fixed bracked, at the home stadium of the higher seed.*

in rounds 1 & 2, if a higher seed elects to play at a bigger stadium to capture a bigger gate that is their choice.

I was with you until the round of 32 part.  Not that I'm against it, just that a system like that is 4-5 moves away and may never happen.

39 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Going to bookmark this post for later. just in case

• Like 2

Hugo, what do you consider a blowout? I don’t think LSU is gonna do Clemson like ou. But I do expect them to score a lot. The difference is, so will Clemson and I think it will be easier for them than it was against OSU. I still think LSU wins because LSU is always in attack mode on offense and their WRs will have a great day against the safeties plus it’s a home game.

18 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Hugo, what do you consider a blowout? I don’t think LSU is gonna do Clemson like ou. But I do expect them to score a lot. The difference is, so will Clemson and I think it will be easier for them than it was against OSU. I still think LSU wins because LSU is always in attack mode on offense and their WRs will have a great day against the safeties plus it’s a home game.

LSU will likely score 21-35 points in the first half and be up by multiple touchdowns at halftime.  Clemson will come back on our bend don’t break defense to make the game closer than it appears.

So the final score might be within a touchdown or two but still a blowout from my perspective.  

I expect it to go like the Alabama game. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LSU will likely score 21-35 points in the first half and be up by multiple touchdowns at halftime.  Clemson will come back on our bend don’t break defense to make the game closer than it appears.

So the final score might be within a touchdown or two but still a blowout from my perspective.  

Well I hope for your sake Burrow doesn’t get McCoy’d

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I think Ohio state would have caused more problems for LSU than Clemson will. Clemson will have to bring pressure, and time and again Burrow has shown he can beat blitzes. Unless Venables gets Burrow completely confused, I see him throwing for big yards again.  The only team that actually affected Burrow was Auburn and they had probably the best DL in the country. Clemson doesn’t have that this year. I got LSU winning in a high scoring game.

Burrow beats passive defenses.  Blitzes can slow him down.

Lawrence is a lot better QB than Fields.  I think Clemson wins in an interesting game.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Uhh they are 29-0 tied for the 12th longest win streak all time...... it's nothing like Baylor

If they win, they tie us for the 5th longest win streak since WWI.  

1.  OU 47 1953-1957

2. Toledo 35 1969-1971

3. Miami FL 34 2000-2002

4. OU 31 1948-1950

5.  Texas 30 1968-1970

29 minutes ago, bullet said:

Burrow beats passive defenses.  Blitzes can slow him down.

Lawrence is a lot better QB than Fields.  I think Clemson wins in an interesting game.

Have you even watched LSU? Blitzes are where Joe Burrow has had his Heisman moments. I agree you have to get pressure but you have to be able to do it with 4 the way auburn did. Unless Venables is able to complete disguise and confuse.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

But that was their ranking. I'll use stupid nicknames as long as I want. Ok. Cool. Hook 'em.

So what? According to this terrible logic, LSU was more battle tested by playing Texas than Oklahoma was by playing, well, the exact same team. 

Meanwhile, Clemson was more battle tested by playing Texas A&M than LSU was by playing, again, the exact same team. You know, because of where they were ranked when the games were played. I mean based on your logic, Clemson played the #12 team in the country Texas A&M Aggies. LSU only played the unranked Texas A&M Aggies.

And I realize I can't make you stop using stupid nicknames. If you want to sound like a wannabe stupid sports radio talk show host then that's your prerogative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Clemson got banged up and need extra time to prepare for LSU.  Just gut feeling.

Ahh, okay, I could see where that would help Clemson.

I just don't think the layoff hurts LSU.  They're a buzzsaw.  They'll kick someone's ass in 1 week, 2 weeks, today, this summer, whenever.

Clemson is good enough to keep it to a 10 to 14 point margin.  So is Ohio State.  But I think that's about it.

LSU by something like 45-31.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Your defense sure broke a lot versus Texas lol

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Ahh, okay, I could see where that would help Clemson.

I just don't think the layoff hurts LSU.  They're a buzzsaw.  They'll kick someone's ass in 1 week, 2 weeks, today, this summer, whenever.

Clemson is good enough to keep it to a 10 to 14 point margin.  So is Ohio State.  But I think that's about it.

LSU by something like 45-31.

LSU versus the greatest armies in history? 

6 hours ago, hookem48 said:

and Clemson didn't even play that good and beat OSU, I didn't think that was possible. 

I'd say if anything tosu shot themselves in the foot a few times or else Clemson would have gotten blown out. Clemson didn't play bad but they showed up when they needed to and pulled out the win.

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

LSU versus the greatest armies in history? 

Pretty sure the greatest army in history is the Fightin' Texas A&M Aggie Corp of Cadets and Redassery, since they won World War II and all.

And we know LSU would beat them at least 50-7.