National Championship pre game thread: #3 Clemson @ #1 LSU (ESPN 1/13 7pm)

Neonmoon

Hell if I were CFP I would be rolling that game out this Thursday night to get it done before NFL playoffs start rolling.  I sure as fuck wouldn’t be trying to get attention on the Monday after the divisional rounds.

I realize travel is a consideration so have the Semi earlier and bookend the whole bowl season.

The 6th after the NFL playoffs have started is bad. The 13th is absurdly bad.

• Like 1

The media need a week to overhype the game 

That’s the thing though. They will barely talk about it on any of the mainline programs. It’s all NFL playoffs all the time one those get going. They have 8 NFL playoff games to cover over two weekends and they talk about that shit non stop.

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why is it the fucking 13th and not the 6th? It’ll be spring semester by then.

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why is it the fucking 13th and not the 6th? It’ll be spring semester by then.

“But an 8 team playoff would cause them to miss school!” 

• Like 1

Long layover for this game,. will be interesting to see if this is the new norm or just a one season calendar quirk. 
Haven’t checked the line but I’d imagine LSU is a 6-8 pt favorite at “home”. If Clemson starts slow again it will be church for them against LSU.

Opened at -4.5 but it’s already moved to -5.5

Hell if I were CFP I would be rolling that game out this Thursday night to get it done before NFL playoffs start rolling.  I sure as fuck wouldn’t be trying to get attention on the Monday after the divisional rounds.

I realize travel is a consideration so have the Semi earlier and bookend the whole bowl season.

The 6th after the NFL playoffs have started is bad. The 13th is absurdly bad.

I agree with you but kind of glad it’s 2+ weeks in this case as Clemson needs some time to recover from last night’s bloodbath victory. Meanwhile, LSU had a walkover and gets to play a pseudo home game.

It's tough to not pick LSU given what they did to OU. Then I remember it's OU who sucks on defense, only faced one good defense this year that shut them down in the 1st half, and were without a couple of starters on their already terrible defense. Clemson has an excellent chance to pull this off which is funny that we're all making them an underdog given they've won 29 straight games. Yeah, it's in the ACC but it's a pretty impressive feat nevertheless. 

38 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

That’s the thing though. They will barely talk about it on any of the mainline programs. It’s all NFL playoffs all the time one those get going. They have 8 NFL playoff games to cover over two weekends and they talk about that shit non stop.

I do not listen to any of their crap any more. Listened when I was a lot younger. Older now. I know it all.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's tough to not pick LSU given what they did to OU. Then I remember it's OU who sucks on defense, only faced one good defense this year that shut them down in the 1st half, and were without a couple of starters on their already terrible defense. Clemson has an excellent chance to pull this off which is funny that we're all making them an underdog given they've won 29 straight games. Yeah, it's in the ACC but it's a pretty impressive feat nevertheless. 

Clemson likes being the underdog 

the 2 superstar QBs will play to a standstill, but the difference is the running game. Etienne will bust 2 or 3 big runs which LSU's RBs can't match. So I'm seeing a Clemson victory, 30 in a row and since Lawrence returns, might win it next year too.

I think Ohio state would have caused more problems for LSU than Clemson will. Clemson will have to bring pressure, and time and again Burrow has shown he can beat blitzes. Unless Venables gets Burrow completely confused, I see him throwing for big yards again.  The only team that actually affected Burrow was Auburn and they had probably the best DL in the country. Clemson doesn’t have that this year. I got LSU winning in a high scoring game.

31-28 LSU. Clemson will cause the LSU offense some trouble because they have a lot of talent on defense. However, Burrow will get points because Clemson cannot get to the QB without bringing pressure. OTOH, Clemson will get points as well. tOSU has one of the best Ds in the country and they gave up 29 to Clemson. While Clemson will struggle to get that many points against another solid D, LSU will make enough mistakes and Clemson has enough will to make it happen. 31-28 LSU.

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

LSU is salty. I'm not sure Clemson is cut from the same cloth.

Seems a bit dumb to say a team who is 14-0 and has found a way to win 29 games straight isn't salty.  Do they or any team deserve the 2005 USC pedestal treatment...no it was dumb then and it would be dumb now, but it would have also been dumb to act like USC was something less than salty back then (they sure as fuck were).  LSU may very well win but I don't think it will be due to lack of saltiness on the part of Clemson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Seems a bit dumb to say a team who is 14-0 and has found a way to win 29 games straight isn't salty.  Do they or any team deserve the 2005 USC pedestal treatment...no it was dumb then and it would be dumb now, but it would have also been dumb to act like USC was something less than salty back then (they sure as fuck were).  LSU may very well win but I don't think it will be due to lack of saltiness on the part of Clemson.

Strength of schedule. The toughest thing Clemson faced before tOs was #12 aTm. 

LSU faced #9 Us, #7 FLA, #9 War Eagle, #3 Saban, #4 Uga, #4 Boomer.

And? Clemson just beat a better team than LSU has played all season.

Also, stop using stupid nicknames. Plus calling us #9 should be a big giant red flag that maybe those teams aren't as tough as their rankings at the time of the games indicate.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm kind of thinking Clempson's SOS explains their slow start against tOSU.  They have had that problem before, usually in the CG, because their semifinal opponent wasn't all that.  They are used to rising to the occasion, even with slow starts.

And other than aggy and Mack they also beat pretty much everybody by 30+ points. I don’t care how weak the schedule is routinely skull fucking conference mates who are undoubtably all gunning for you by scores like 45-10, 52-17 repeatedly is in and of itself impressive.

Not to mention they’ve now proven that they can take care of themselves when the competition significantly improves.

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And other than aggy and Mack they also beat pretty much everybody by 30+ points. I don’t care how weak the schedule is routinely skull fucking conference mates who are undoubtably all gunning for you by scores like 45-10, 52-17 repeatedly is in and of itself impressive.

Not to mention they’ve now proven that they can take care of themselves when the competition significantly improves.

It's like Baylor in the rapey era. Run the score up on weaklings and hope you can pull off 2 or if you're lucky 3 wins against equal talent. I hate to say it, but if they were SEC, their record would not be what it is. 

Edited by RPM

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm kind of thinking Clempson's SOS explains their slow start against tOSU.  They have had that problem before, usually in the CG, because their semifinal opponent wasn't all that.  They are used to rising to the occasion, even with slow starts.

Or maybe they just start slow any time they play a good team, which is pretty rare for them given their conference?

If they start slow against LSU, they won't be coming back.  And I think that happens.  I'm thinking LSU 38, Clemson 23 or some such.  

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

It's like Baylor in the rapey era. Run the score up on weaklings and hope you can pull off 2 or if you're lucky 3 wins against equal talent. I hate to say it, but if they were SEC, their record would not be what it is. 

Uhh they are 29-0 tied for the 12th longest win streak all time...... it's nothing like Baylor