2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I hope that is a "spot on analysis". If our OC works out, then we might see something. 

Just seems like something has been off, I hope you're right.

I 100% think this is his make-or-break year (if it happens). If he doesn't win the conference, he should get cut loose.

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I 100% think this is his make-or-break year (if it happens). If he doesn't win the conference, he should get cut loose.

Not happening. Not only will money be tight due to covid / oil being so low, but I’d imagine all the new assistants have decent size buyouts.   Tom is here for at least two more years. Maybe more if he doesn’t have a losing season. 

If he can’t with this shitty conference with a 4th year preseason heisman QB, a 1st round LT and DE, and with a loaded roster of 5 stars (Bijan, Whittington, Sterns, Fosters, etc) .... while ou is breaking in a QB that have never taken a snap.... then I’m not sure when he’ll be able to win one with a less talented roster in 2021z

With that said, he’s not getting fired after this year.  Missing spring practice/summer workouts,  a limited season, and just hiring a new staff has bought him a lame duck season in 2021.  Plus, who the hell are we going to hire after this season?  I don’t exactly see any top tier candidates that will be available.  

• Like 2

Agreed no way he gets fired unless something comes out about harassment against females or minorities. 

But to the point of football.. I mean he really needs to show something this year. I get that it's covid shit and the OC and DC (also the majority of the staff) are new...but the reason they are new is because he hired guys that failed. So the responsibility is all on Tom to get this team winning games and definitely not losing games they shouldn't lose. 

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I don't agree this is Herman's last year if he doesn't win the Big 12, I do think it's his last chance with recruits. The 5 star recruits in Texas just don't believe. Give them a reason. 

Yup, I remember Najee Harris saying “Texas who?” when a reporter asked him about his Texas offer during Strong’s last year when it was clear Texas was a program in the dump.  If we don’t win this year, we’ll be fighting Baylor, okie state, tech for jags.

On another note, Herman has done a fantastic job upgrading this roster from what he inherited. I don’t remember the last time we had 5 preseason all big 12 longhorn players on the roster.  The roster is too talented not to win atleast 8-9 games.  My fear is that will be Herman’s ceiling here.  Recruiting decent top end talent but not to the level of Bama, LSU, tOSU, Clemson ... while winning 9-10 games in his good years and winning 5-7 in his bad years.   Not sure he’ll be the coach to win us a championship.  

Edited by victory88

59 minutes ago, Xian said:

Not happening. Not only will money be tight due to covid / oil being so low, but I’d imagine all the new assistants have decent size buyouts.   Tom is here for at least two more years. Maybe more if he doesn’t have a losing season. 

I take it that could mean 4 more years, if this year isn't played then.??
That would be in 2024 a possible realignment (or expansion) of XII.??

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Yeah, I'm separating "should" with "will" here

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I don't agree this is Herman's last year if he doesn't win the Big 12, I do think it's his last chance with recruits. The 5 star recruits in Texas just don't believe. Give them a reason. 

You know he has a 5-star committed in this class, right? Next class if we have a shit season, yeah totally agree.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, I'm separating "should" with "will" here

You know he has a 5-star committed in this class, right? Next class if we have a shit season, yeah totally agree.

Fair enough. Sanders is a composite 5 star. But there are way too many examples of Texas 5 stars signing elsewhere. 

I mean hell, things could be worse. We're not Aggy, where in state 4 stars are completely disinterested. 

Count me in as a believer in Herman.  He’s done the work to build the roster for a big payoff this year.  Winning big this year would bring in a flood of talent going forward especially with aggy absent from in state recruiting.   Would absolutely suck if we are robbed of a 10-12 win season this year.  If that happens then Herman’s days may be numbered if we take a step back in 21.  

8 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Kobe Boyce stepping away from football to deal with mental issues?

That type of attrition....hate to see it. Seems like he's getting help and staying in school, so that's good to hear.

Edited by UDontKnow

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fair enough. Sanders is a composite 5 star. But there are way too many examples of Texas 5 stars signing elsewhere. 

I mean hell, things could be worse. We're not Aggy, where in state 4 stars are completely disinterested. 

Sanders and Bowman should be 5 stars but that's neither here nor there.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

That takes a strong level of maturity at that age and pressure to recognize and seek the path to help. Bravo 

Absolutely; hopefully his message will help others step forward before it’s too late for them. Much respect Kobe. 

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's a proven excellent game planner, from Ohio State to Houston to Texas, if either given time or if that's all he has to think about. If he has to balance a whole bunch of head coaching responsibilities with that, things start to get wonky on both sides of the coin. Hence hiring a real OC this year.

It will also help that Ash is also a proven DC, I mean how difficult will it be to allow Ossai to rush the QB all the time, and not drop him 30 yards into coverage against Lamb? Not having to worry about both sides of the ball might be liberating for Herman.

I’m sure lots of athletes go through depression in college and it’s not talked about. Many kids do generally in college. But for athletes, suddenly you aren’t as “good”, and you are getting passed up at the sport you had all your confidence in. It’s tough to handle. Good for him for helping himself, and planning to get a degree. Honest question, is this scholarship tied up over the next couple years or does it even matter?

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Is Sam Ehlinger the Answer for a Title??

If he can eliminate brainfarting when plays break down... Hopefully, with a running game and with receivers learning to get open, plays won't be breaking as much, so that's a Good Thing™.

SIAP, I usually lurk on the recruiting board but I thought this topic is worth a post over here. 

Potential Walk-on:

For some reason I cannot post a new topic on the football forum, but I wanted to share. https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Kelley-20744/ . This kid is the focus of a new documentary that took place in Leander called Outcry, which I highly recommend. I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum. He has enrolled at UT and posted an instagram saying that he has begun his comeback to football and also has a few impressive posts in the weight room with a #305 power clean that looked easy. Kid had offers from rice, utsa and Texas State, so I think he would automatically be our most talented walk-on. Spoiler**

Spoiler

it could definitely be hard to come back to football at 25 years old after not playing for almost 8 years and spending several years in prison, but the kid is definitely talented.

If you watch the documentary this kid is impossible not to root for at this point and it would be incredibly cool to see him make the team and possibly get some action on special teams. Regardless it is a great story to follow I highly recommend the doc and check out the kids instagram for some truly inspiring stuff, including a reaction video of his acceptance to UT. He is a great guy to have on the team for leadership etc. and I will be following his career and rooting for the guy all the way 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3