atomheartbevo

So uh..Austin Subway*, Light Rail Expansions and $3.2 - $10.2 Billion

Posted (edited)

Only raise the property taxes on the downtown central core.

There will never be affordable housing downtown, and a subway line here only serves what business are left paying crazy rent/leasing rates and million dollar high rises. 

A subway to the airport from downtown serves the W, not Austin

Kung Flu should tell everyone “density” is no longer our friend. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 3/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Only raise the property taxes on the downtown central core.

There will never be affordable housing downtown, and a subway line here only serves what business are left paying crazy rent/leasing rates and million dollar high rises. 

A subway to the airport from downtown serves the W, not Austin

Kung Flu should tell everyone “density” is no longer our friend. 

I’m not a huge fan of the plan, but the airport connection is huge.  Now anyone that can park along the redline (for free) can take the train/rail to the airport with their luggage for only a few bucks.  This is also an easy first step because now they can expand in small chunks to include other population centers.

15 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m not a huge fan of the plan, but the airport connection is huge.  Now anyone that can park along the redline (for free) can take the train/rail to the airport with their luggage for only a few bucks.  This is also an easy first step because now they can expand in small chunks to include other population centers.

You can do this today but you have to ride a bus from the red line station downtown to the airport.  The train would be the same thing but maybe a little faster.

How long are you willing to spend on the red line + the new train to get to the airport?  A 45 minute ride?  An hour?  More than an hour?  At some point it makes sense to have someone drop you off at the airport or take ridesharing or just pay for parking at the airport.

3 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

You can do this today but you have to ride a bus from the red line station downtown to the airport.  The train would be the same thing but maybe a little faster.

How long are you willing to spend on the red line + the new train to get to the airport?  A 45 minute ride?  An hour?  More than an hour?  At some point it makes sense to have someone drop you off at the airport or take ridesharing or just pay for parking at the airport.

In peak times I’d wait, also I have a station really close to my work so I could go in in the morning and walk to the station to get there for a midday or later flight.  When traveling with luggage the bus is just not an appealing option, I’ve done it.

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Wold you pay extra in parking to not be exposed to all the mouth breathers on the train/bus and have your own car?  Maybe.  Does it make sense in light of the next steps being getting on a plane full of mouth breathers.  Of course not.  But when did that ever stop people from acting irrationally.  I could see airlines booking every other seat, handing out latex gloves and industrial N95 facial masks to try and stay solvent.  Buses/trains, not so much?

21 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m not a huge fan of the plan, but the airport connection is huge.  Now anyone that can park along the redline (for free) can take the train/rail to the airport with their luggage for only a few bucks.  

Unless they follow the example of many (very stupid) transit agencies that ban overnight parking at stations of lines serving the airport.