CU Buffs unretiring 3 jersey numbers...

Iceman

Colorado unretiring 3 numbers after requests from recruits

BOULDER, Colo. -- Colorado will bring three hallowed football numbers out of retirement in response to the growing requests from recruits.

Byron "Whizzer" White's No. 24, Joe Romig's No. 67 and Bobby Anderson's No. 11 will all be worn again. The families of White, who died in 2002, Romig and Anderson approved the decision to bring back their numbers.

Those three players will still be honored through a patch that will appear on the jerseys, bearing their names and the years they played for Colorado.

"Current players and recruits ask all the time for jersey numbers, and often the retired ones have come up," Colorado athletic director Rick George said Wednesday in a statement. "It should also bring a spotlight back to those three players every time a TV camera shows them head-on or a picture appears in a newspaper or online. The names White, Romig and Anderson will be celebrated all over again."

White had his number retired after his senior season in 1937, when he became the school's first All-American in football. White played professional football, graduated from Yale Law School and was appointed by President John F. Kennedy to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1962. He retired from the bench in 1993.

"It will be an honor to watch No. 24 in action for Colorado again," his family said through his son, Charles.

Romig was an offensive guard and linebacker for Colorado. He had his jersey number retired soon after his senior season in 1961.

"It's absolutely fine that my number comes back into circulation, especially if it helps the program," Romig said. "It's an honor to be remembered."

Anderson played quarterback for Colorado before switching to tailback during the 1969 season. He set 18 single-game, single-season and career records in his three seasons with the Buffaloes. He rushed for 2,729 yards and had more than 5,000 yards of total offense.

"I've had my day in the sun, but I will appreciate and be very proud of how it will continue to be honored," Anderson said.

One number that will remain unavailable is 19 -- at least for a little while. It was worn by tailback Rashaan Salaam, who won the Heisman Trophy following the 1994 season. The number was retired in 2017. He took his own life on Dec. 5, 2016. He was 42.

The No. 19 will remain retired for at least 19 years to honor Salaam.

• Like 1

If it REALLY has to do this, then what Colorado should do is just announce that it's transitioning from "retired numbers" to "retired jerseys", then make the numbers themselves honorifics a la the #1 jersey at Michigan. 

But the truth is, Colorado doesn't really have to un-retire the number of the most accomplished person to ever play college football. It's just easier to do it. You don't want to look out of touch! 

1 minute ago, 66BUFF said:

We have never had the money/boosters to buy players.

yeah, I think it was more about establishing a proto-Baylor kind of culture where you guys brought in antisocial reprobates and then did everything possible to keep them academically eligible and out of jail

there was the famous and prescient quote from one of your players in 1984 that "we got enough choirboys, we need some football players". at least that's how I think he described it, maybe he used something even more euphemistic

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah, I think it was more about establishing a proto-Baylor kind of culture where you guys brought in antisocial reprobates and then did everything possible to keep them academically eligible and out of jail

there was the famous and prescient quote from one of your players in 1984 that "we got enough choirboys, we need some football players". at least that's how I think he described it, maybe he used something even more euphemistic

Need some thugs to win.  Never had the rape culture of baylor and, Mac would suspend guys if they got in trouble.

Retiring numbers and taking them out of circulation is stupid unless the player died in some heroic fashion. You can put their name and number up on the stadium wall to honor them, or even give the jersey number reverence like Nobis 60, especially in football when you have 85+ players and force offense and defense players to double up. 

27 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Retiring numbers is dumb. Honor the players but never retire a number.

I’ve always thought that the way Texas honors Nobis’ 60 (saving it for accomplished players to wear for a game or as a senior) brings regular attention to and remembrance of Nobis. Retiring his number can’t do that. We should do that with Campbell’s 20 because eventually, kids won’t know or care. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you just fell into the sarchasm!!!!!!!

Now that I'm retired, my doc has seen fit to ween me off my meds (which allowed me to function for decades as a thinking, feeling human being dealing with work-related stress).  So, last night was a bad night and I am not close to being on top of my game.  However, I >am< in the game and share this link detailing CU's violations from 1959 - 1961 which led to the firing of CU head coach, Sonny Grandelius.  News accounts at the time claimed that Grandelius was the first coach in the country fired for recruiting improprieties.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102258

59 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Now that I'm retired, my doc has seen fit to ween me off my meds (which allowed me to function for decades as a thinking, feeling human being dealing with work-related stress).  So, last night was a bad night and I am not close to being on top of my game.  However, I >am< in the game and share this link detailing CU's violations from 1959 - 1961 which led to the firing of CU head coach, Sonny Grandelius.  News accounts at the time claimed that Grandelius was the first coach in the country fired for recruiting improprieties.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102258

Before I was born but I do remember reading about that years ago.  All of the other violations were pretty much small time and I doubt the ncaa would have popped OU, Nebraska or ohio state for the same thing.  Hell, it took guns, drugs and swords for the ncaa to go after switzer.  

24 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

We might have been dirty if you apply every little ncaa rule but we were never dirty like OU and the SEC.

Worse.

Lots of Texas high school kids on your roster from when your team was great. 

Some people on this board know some of them. We know what happened on the recruiting trips.

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Worse.

Lots of Texas high school kids on your roster from when your team was great. 

Some people on this board know some of them. We know what happened on the recruiting trips.

It's not what you know, It's what you can prove.  We have never been popped like aggy and OU with TV bans etc.

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

None of these guys accomplished shit after football, and now their school does this to them?

That's bullshit, White was phenomenal on the All-Colorado team on EA NCAA football

3 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Hell, it took guns, drugs and swords for the ncaa to go after switzer.  

you sound like your jealous

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I meant football broadcasts, I bet there were only a handful

Yep.    Maximum of two games/week (ABC/Saturday) during the regular season and there weren't a million "who gives a shit" bowl games. In 1963, there were a total of eight bowl games and even the minor games (Sun, Bluebonnet, Gator, and Liberty) offered good matchups.  Of those four games, only the Bluebonnet Bowl lacked television coverage.  The top teams played on New Year's Day in the four major postseason bowl games:  The Cotton, Rose, Sugar, and Orange.  All of the major bowls were televised.  That was it.

11 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Boulder police didn't have victims look at mug shots.  They just showed the football roster.  True fact.