Mike Campbell with The Dirty Knobs

DougO

Intradesting...

On tour, coming to Texas in April.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/mike-campbell-dirty-knobs/

Mike Campbell’s Dirty Knobs Announce Debut Album and Tour

January 13, 2020

Kevin Winter, Getty Images

Ex-Tom Petty collaborator Mike Campbell is finally releasing an album with his longtime side project. The Dirty Knobs will kick off a nationwide tour this spring, then release their debut album on March 20.

Campbell, who's also worked with Fleetwood Mac, is joined by Jason Sinay (Neil Diamond, Ivan Neville) on guitar and vocals , Lance Morrison (Don Henley) on bass and Matt Laug (Slash, Alanis Morissette) on drums. A list of the announced tour dates, venues and cities is attached below, along with the newly released video for the title track from Wreckless Abandon.

"The Dirty Knobs first got together almost 15 years ago, but Wreckless Abandon is our first album and occasion to tour," Campbell explained in a press release. "Over the years, the Knobs became an outlet for me to play some of the other songs I was writing and to keep the creative juices flowing in between working on albums and tours with Tom and the Heartbreakers."

Campbell produced Wreckless Abandon with George Drakoulias (Black Crowes, Jayhawks) and wrote all of the songs. Guests on the sessions included Campbell's former bandmate Benmont Tench and country star Chris Stapleton. The cover art was created by Klaus Voormann, who's best known for his work on the Beatles' Revolver.

Petty's sudden death in 2017 prompted Campbell to focus more intently on the Dirty Knobs, who'd previously played only a series of odd club dates. "Losing Tom was earth shattering for me. It was a total shock," Campbell said.

"For a while, it was hard to imagine playing in my own band again, let alone one where I’m the frontman. Tom was always my beacon. But everything I've been doing since Tom passed, including this album with the Dirty Knobs, is in the spirit of honoring what we did together."

Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs 2019 North America Tour
March 10 — Minneapolis, MN @ Fine Line Music Hall
March 11 — Chicago, IL @ Park West
March 13 — Indianapolis, IN @ The Hi Fi
March 15 — Nashville, TN @ Brooklyn Bowl
March 17 — Alexandria, VA @ Birchmere
March 18 — Philadelphia, PA @ World Café Live
March 20 — Ridgefield CT @ Ridgefield Playhouse
March 21 — Derry, NH @ Tupelo Music Hall
March 23 — Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
March 26 — Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Bowl
April 7 — San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
April 10 — Los Angeles, CA @ The Troubadour
April 14 — Boulder, CO @ Fox Theatre
April 15 — Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theatre
April 17 — Dallas, TX @ Blue Light
April 18 — Austin, TX @ Antone’s
April 21 — Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live
April 24 — New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
April 26 — Gainesville, FL @ High Dive
April 28 — Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum

Read More: Mike Campbell's Dirty Knobs Announce Debut Album and Tour | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/mike-campbell-dirty-knobs/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Just finished Petty by Warren Zanes.  In it it discusses how Tom had a problem with Campbell's solo project because it sounded a lot like TP&TH.  Now I see what he meant.  Not that its a bad thing, especially with Tom gone.

hes got the same twang as petty. I hope its good

On 2/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I couldn't believe it had 12 strings crammed onto a fretboard skinnier than I would be comfortable with had it only had 6 strings.  I like to think I have a pretty good left hand in terms of accuracy when chording, but I was flummoxed.

A couple of years ago I bought a Dano 12 on sale and it is far easier to play and sounds great. I need to break it out again.

• 3 weeks later...

Today on my flash drive tunes mix in the car an acoustic song by Damon Johnson popped up and it got me thinking, Damon would be the perfect guy to fill the lead vocal spot and nail those classic Tom Petty songs. They could even just get the band back together and tour as The Heartbreakers and do a tribute/farewell type tour, maybe write some new stuff.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, Don Johnson said:

Just finished Petty by Warren Zanes.  In it it discusses how Tom had a problem with Campbell's solo project because it sounded a lot like TP&TH.  Now I see what he meant.  Not that its a bad thing, especially with Tom gone.

I was driving my wife's vehicle this weekend, and Sirius was on.  A song came on and I thought "holy shit - this sounds like Petty & The Heartbreakers".  It was "Wreckless Abandon".

Campbell helped Petty write a lot of those songs, so it's not a big shock on the one hand, but I didn't expect their voices to be that close.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers once. Around 1991 at the State Fair Starplex (that has had a few different names since it opened) and it was amazing.

I was nowhere close to sober and while flying around watching Petty in 31F weather, I was blown away how much of his stage show and music was aimed at people who were exploring various parts of their mind that they don't normally visit.

And then Mike Campbell was amazing. I had never watched a guitarist as much before nor have I since as I did Mike that night. He had a different guitar for every song and he seemed to be pulling music out of it that you didn't think the instrument was even capable of producing.

He's a true master.

• 7 months later...

That second song is from Mojo.  If you haven't heard that, spend some time with it.  When I saw him on the last tour, this song was the only one from Mojo he played.  Mike played a Les Paul on it and Holy fuckity fuck...it was a full blown ROCK song.  Sounded like a lost Led Zep song. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My copy showed up and I've given it a 2 listens.

I read the Warren Zanes Petty biography. In it they talk about an album Mike Campbell had recorded some time ago, but TP didn't want him to nrelease it because he thought it sounded to much like a TP&HBs album. I kinda thought it as a dick move on Tom's part, but now I see his point.

It does sound like a Tom Petty record, Mike sings much like him too. But, its a very good Heartbreakers album.

11 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

My copy showed up and I've given it a 2 listens.

I read the Warren Zanes Petty biography. In it they talk about an album Mike Campbell had recorded some time ago, but TP didn't want him to nrelease it because he thought it sounded to much like a TP&HBs album. I kinda thought it as a dick move on Tom's part, but now I see his point.

It does sound like a Tom Petty record, Mike sings much like him too. But, its a very good Heartbreakers album.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, Don Johnson said:

• 1 year later...

I bought the 1st album. It was pretty decent. Loaned it to friend after a few listens and it's just taken up space since its been returned. Ill probably pass on this one.

If they come through town I'll likely try to go see them. Mike Campbell's guitar collection is worth it of he rotates them as much as he did as a Heartbreaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...