Jump to content
Assman

The New Car Fanatic Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not going to lie, also piqued my curiosity.  Seemed like a step off into left field from your others. 

I told my wife yesterday. Someday, I am going to buy an F430. I know there’s faster, more exclusive, yada yada, but that has been my dream car for as long as I can remember. And if a loaded pickup costs 75k now, why the hell is 100k unattainable?  Nothing but a mental block.  

Because a 75k pickup truck won't need a $3000 clutch swap every 15,000 miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Because a 75k pickup truck won't need a $3000 clutch swap every 15,000 miles

 

45 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

or a $7500 timing belt every 5,000 miles.  

Starting to see why some of these cars stay in garages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

or a $7500 timing belt every 5,000 miles.  

More of a 360 thing, no?

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Because a 75k pickup truck won't need a $3000 clutch swap every 15,000 miles

So at 50 miles a week, it gets a clutch every 6 years. I’d call that a non worry.  Average in some decent road trips and whatnot and say it’s every 3 years.  $100/month in the clutch fund is not the issue.  Hell, i wouldn’t expect to put 15-20k on it during entire ownership. I would guess you’d spend much more on tires. Hell I’m going to spend that on drinks this week.  
 

I’m not looking for something to daily drive, I have one of those aforementioned trucks for that.   I’m looking for something to tinker with in the garage, and take thru the town on Saturday AM.  Anecdotal, but I’ve had 2 friends lose 6.7 Fords, both to the tune of 16-20k. So yeah, it’s a crapshoot.  I mean the outboard on my boat was well over 20k and only averages 40 hrs/year.  My luck I would have one grenade on me, though. I’d have a fucking 350 crate motored 430 lulz.      

Edited by fattyflattie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
An acquaintance has an F430. He has driven it to 70,000 miles. He drives it as much as possible and loves it.

 

I have some equity stakes in private companies and a few look really promising. I’ve thought about splurging on something like this for a year *if they payout* but damn not with the maintenance costs I’m seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aston-martin-dbx-interior.jpg

 

DBX interior pics are finally out.

 

I also saw Aston is delivering the DB4 Zagato Continuations now. A cool 7.5 million and one can be yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, troph said:

 

I have some equity stakes in private companies and a few look really promising. I’ve thought about splurging on something like this for a year *if they payout* but damn not with the maintenance costs I’m seeing.

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

I’m like you. I’ll always have my boat.  

Edited by troph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fully loaded G23 is $210k list. Fully loaded Malibu 25 is $220k. Wakeboats have gone insane.

Fully loaded axis is about $100k and kicks out the same wave. Mechanically the same boat, just without the name and some of the finish out and digital controls. I don’t think these performance cars have that shadow brand like the boats do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'll never understand why people buy cars like that and don't drive them.  I don't want to own any car I can't just go drive whenever I want to.

Yeah, that is a mystery to me. All the awesome classic cars that are sitting in a garage or warehouse, only to be seen at a car show or fancy auction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, troph said:

 

I have some equity stakes in private companies and a few look really promising. I’ve thought about splurging on something like this for a year *if they payout* but damn not with the maintenance costs I’m seeing.

that is why so many go with Porsche.  It is clearly not the same level of "exotic", but by God they work and are for the most part maintenance dreams, or at least the 5 I have owned have been.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

997 turbo is now 2 model generations removed from new (991 and 992) and the new 992 turbo coming in 2020.  The 997 now feels incredibly dated and is tiny compared to both the 991 and 992.  I say this as a 997 owner.  I still love mine, but I am not surprised values on them are so low.  Porsche builds 10 more cars than the public wants vs Ferrari who builds 500 fewer than demand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, G650 said:

aston-martin-dbx-interior.jpg

 

DBX interior pics are finally out.

 

I also saw Aston is delivering the DB4 Zagato Continuations now. A cool 7.5 million and one can be yours.

that is awesome.  certainly meets/exceeds expectations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
that is why so many go with Porsche.  It is clearly not the same level of "exotic", but by God they work and are for the most part maintenance dreams, or at least the 5 I have owned have been.  

911 is on my short list but I’m a tall drink of water so there are limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t think these performance cars have that shadow brand like the boats do.

Corvette will do what ALOT for the $$.  But no Italian spirit.  And Porsche while expensive still not Lambo/Ferrari expensive, mostly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

997 turbo is now 2 model generations removed from new (991 and 992) and the new 992 turbo coming in 2020.  The 997 now feels incredibly dated and is tiny compared to both the 991 and 992.  I say this as a 997 owner.  I still love mine, but I am not surprised values on them are so low.  Porsche builds 10 more cars than the public wants vs Ferrari who builds 500 fewer than demand.  

I said I was not a Porsche guy, but I didn’t even know about the 992. I was just browsing yesterday and read up on 991 and 997.  Wouldn’t “tiny” be a good thing, at least with 911’s. I thought everyone loved the classic ones, because they were so tiny?  I’m sure they are outdated, but everything looked modern on the 997 to my eye (that said, look inside a 430 lol). I obviously have not seen or been in a more modern variant.  I thought they were pretty solid deal, especially if they are as reliable as people claim.  If they spoke to me, I would have a lot less trouble making that work, but alas, they do not.  Great cars, tons of respek, just never been my flavor for whatever reason.  
 

Your last sentence is dead on. I spent about 15 minutes trying to learn all ~15 models of the 997 yesterday.  They have a varied lineup, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

that is awesome.  certainly meets/exceeds expectations.  

Eh, it's alright. It's essentially identical to the interior of my X5M, from the suede headliner and B pillar vent shape/position, down to the seat design and door panel shaping. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but was hoping for a more classically Aston interior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Wouldn’t “tiny” be a good thing, at least with 911’s. I thought everyone loved the classic ones, because they were so tiny?  

Precisely the reason I despise Porsche, so no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Precisely the reason I despise Porsche, so no.

Yeah I’m the same way. I was speaking to the Porsche purists.  And I wouldn’t think anyone would mix up the 997 with the tiny models before, but I’m not a Porsche guy so who knows. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, troph said:


911 is on my short list but I’m a tall drink of water so there are limits.

I am 6'4.  I have a buddy who fits fine in his 911 at 6'8.  unless you're over 6'8 head room in not an issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:



Model bloat happens and I don’t blame them for that, though.

It happened to Toyota like a suburban mom after kid number 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, G650 said:

It happened to Toyota like a suburban mom after kid number 3.

My wife takes offense to that. 
 

for real tho, the amount of power and handling these things are capable of likely drive that as much as the leather appointments and other luxuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

My wife takes offense to that. 

Yeah, my wife would too, even though we only have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I’m the same way. I was speaking to the Porsche purists.  And I wouldn’t think anyone would mix up the 997 with the tiny models before, but I’m not a Porsche guy so who knows. 

you wouldn't confuse the old 912 or even 993 with a 997.  That said if you put a 912 against a 997 the size variance is really noticeable.  That same variance is extremely noticeable if you put a 997 next to the new 992.  I was stunned by how much the car has grown.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

don't you drive a 3 series.  😁

 

 

 

 

 

*I know an M version. 

Um, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

you wouldn't confuse the old 912 or even 993 with a 997.  That said if you put a 912 against a 997 the size variance is really noticeable.  That same variance is extremely noticeable if you put a 997 next to the new 992.  I was stunned by how much the car has grown

interesting, didn’t realize that. I just peeked at the 992 the other day and didn’t notice the size difference. But, there we’re only 991’s near it.  Was not a huge fan of its steering wheel and “shifter”.  But, thought the rest looked pretty solid.

thay said, loved the 997’s but the difference between it and the 991’s are night and day. Expecting to see the same thing between the 991’s and 992’s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great color on the porsches.  whats wilder is the rear tires look almost half as wide... like 185mm vs 345mm or something.

 

i think im getting punked by tesla.  order placed in september and theyve given me fuck-all in terms of communication.  called today and theyre like "oh, we found your account, let me check up on it and we'll call you if we find anything.  *click*".   im just a glutton for masochism then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

great color on the porsches.  whats wilder is the rear tires look almost half as wide... like 185mm vs 345mm or something.

 

i think im getting punked by tesla.  order placed in september and theyve given me fuck-all in terms of communication.  called today and theyre like "oh, we found your account, let me check up on it and we'll call you if we find anything.  *click*".   im just a glutton for masochism then

Seems like the common denominator in all these car travails is you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have experience with Nokian Hakkepellita snow tires? Blizzaks on my car are dead after 16k miles and i never liked them all that much. Thinking of trying something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have experience with Nokian Hakkepellita snow tires? Blizzaks on my car are dead after 16k miles and i never liked them all that much. Thinking of trying something new.

It's been 10 years since I ran them, but when I had them, I absolutely swore by them. I had them on a RWD BMW 3 series, and it made it through everything that upstate New York could throw at it. And by "made it through," I mean handled flawlessly. Best example was coming over a sweeping overpass carrying a bit more speed than was responsible, realizing that it had iced over, and deftly driving around the 3 other cars that had crashed into the guard rail (not on Nokian snows).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just picked up a new-to-me 2018 Shelby GT350 and have to say the Voodoo 5.2 motor is pretty much the greatest thing ever.  I can’t believe there’s an 8,250 RPM, 526 HP flat plan crank V8 available in something I can drive to work and schlep kids around.  What a time to be alive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A) that’s awesome. (b) is it invisible or something? C) how the hell do you fit kids in those back seats? D) Tranny? E) what did they whack you for on that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

A) that’s awesome. (b) is it invisible or something? C) how the hell do you fit kids in those back seats? D) Tranny? E) what did they whack you for on that?

 

I haven’t really bothered posting pics since imgur quit doing mobile, but it’s leadfoot gray (not metallic) with white stripes.  The back seats are tiny, but my boys are in a good slot where they’re not too big but out of car seats.  Also, they can tough it out. 
 

All GT350s are manual 6 speeds which is what I wanted before they’re extinct.  For pricing I traded in a ‘16 SS with 61k and paid another $24k OTD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

It's been 10 years since I ran them, but when I had them, I absolutely swore by them. I had them on a RWD BMW 3 series, and it made it through everything that upstate New York could throw at it. And by "made it through," I mean handled flawlessly. Best example was coming over a sweeping overpass carrying a bit more speed than was responsible, realizing that it had iced over, and deftly driving around the 3 other cars that had crashed into the guard rail (not on Nokian snows).

I also had them in upstate New York, and they were effing awesome. Mine were on a RWD Porsche (not a humblebrag, this was a 944 Turbo.) Never tried any other snow tires so I can't compare, but they let me drive through anything with confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...