3. The Beatles-Revolver

4. The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

5. The Beatles-Rubber Soul

6. Bruce Springsteen-Born to Run

7. Led Zeppelin-IV

8. Fleetwood Mac-Rumours

9. Pink Floyd-Dark Side

10. Prince-Dirty Mind

This was hard.  Tough to leave off at least two of Elton John's albums (among my favorites: YBR, Honky Chateaux, Mad Man Across the Water), Springsteen's DOTEOT and Greetings, and the Stones' Sticky Fingers.

No particular order, but Making Movies is always near the top.

Dire Strait: Making Movies
Elton John:  Capt. Fantastic
Jayhawks:  Rainy Day Music
REM: Murmur
Toad The Wet Sprocket:  Pale
Bruce Robison:  Country Sunshine (can't find it anymore but it is stunning.  His best songwriting is on this album)
James McMurtry:  It Had To Happen (close race between Where'd You Hide/Complicated Game)
Willie: Stardust (in a close race with Stranger)
Los Lobos: Will The Wolf Survive
Beatles:  Abbey Road

On 3/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, Ths71 said:

Saw them at The Bronco Bowl Feb. 1990. (RIP Pat and The Bronco Bowl)
Opening band was Camper Van Beethoven, the immensely talented David Lowery’s band. They broke up two months later and Lowery formed Cracker.

What a great show it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cracker with Johnny Hickman on guitar and Davey Faragher on bass was a GREAT rock show.  
Also, second the Smithereens on a solid live show.  Saw them outdoors and they blew me away.  

On 3/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Not to derail this, but I'm going to completely fucking derail this:

If you had to take one band's entire discography to the desert island, who you going with?

I'd probably take the Stones.  They cover almost every genre of music I enjoy, and do it all insanely well.  Plus, the volume of great songs is just incredible.  Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and The Black Crowes would be in the conversation, but the Stones get the nod.

Either Petty or REM (until Bill Berry left.  I got now use for any of their stuff without ).

2nd 10. A couple of these should have been in the first 10.

Elton John 11-17-70

EJ - Tumbleweed Connection

Yes - Talk

Yes - Big Generator

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

David Byrne - Miss America

Cream - Wheels of Fire

Led Zeppelin I and II

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea

Influences? dogbreath already touched on this but my musical influences were diverse and barely related to any albums. One of my earliest memories was playing the 45 of The Bare Necessities from Disney's The Jungle Book over and over again on our little toy record player. We had the Peter and the Wolf album and that probably influenced me while I wasn't aware it was happening. My parents weren't in to music that much and their album collection was limited. They had the West Side Story soundtrack, I remember liking that. They also had an 8-track of Herb Alpert's greatest hits. Those both hold up. 

My dad divorced my mom when I was 7 and married a young tramp from work. She gave me her collection of 45's. I discovered the Beatles in there, mentioned that I liked them to an aunt who then gave me her copy of Beatles '65, and off I went. I was also influenced by the music I heard on TV, at church, and at the county fair. 

So, top 10 albums. Damn our decimal numbering system. It always has to be top 10. I can come up with a solid 8. After that there's too much competition for the next two spots. So here ya go:

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
Pink Floyd - Dark Side
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Steely Dan - Aja
Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus 
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Like I said, it's too hard to pick 9 & 10, but just for jimmyjazz I'm going with these:

Bob Weir - Heaven Help the Fool
Jerry Garcia Band - Cats Under the Stars

30 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Shit! Yes I did. Good catch, most folks don't likely know that album at all.

That's an awesome album. I saw him on that tour at the Alrosa Villa and picked it up. Great band, slick production, total ear candy. 

Aerosmith -  Rocks

Billy Joel - The Stranger

Cheap Trick - Live Budokan

The Clash - The Clash

Cracker - Kerosene Hat

Elton John - Captain Fantastic

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Peter Gabriel - So

Police - Outlandos d'Amour

Rolling Stones - Exiles 

Rush - Moving Pictures

Yeah, I know it's 11. BUT THIS LIST GOES TO 11!

Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

The Clash - London Calling

Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel 

New Order - Power, Corruption & Light

Tie: Patti Smith - Horses & Jackson Browne - The Pretender

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Influences? dogbreath already touched on this but my musical influences were diverse and barely related to any albums. One of my earliest memories was playing the 45 of The Bare Necessities from Disney's The Jungle Book over and over again on our little toy record player. We had the Peter and the Wolf album and that probably influenced me while I wasn't aware it was happening. My parents weren't in to music that much and their album collection was limited. They had the West Side Story soundtrack, I remember liking that. They also had an 8-track of Herb Alpert's greatest hits. Those both hold up. 

My dad divorced my mom when I was 7 and married a young tramp from work. She gave me her collection of 45's. I discovered the Beatles in there, mentioned that I liked them to an aunt who then gave me her copy of Beatles '65, and off I went. I was also influenced by the music I heard on TV, at church, and at the county fair. 

So, top 10 albums. Damn our decimal numbering system. It always has to be top 10. I can come up with a solid 8. After that there's too much competition for the next two spots. So here ya go:

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
Pink Floyd - Dark Side
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Steely Dan - Aja
Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus 
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Like I said, it's too hard to pick 9 & 10, but just for jimmyjazz I'm going with these:

Bob Weir - Heaven Help the Fool
Jerry Garcia Band - Cats Under the Stars

I remember this album of my parents.  Don't remember hearing it.

Whipped Cream & Other Delights | Discogs

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

I remember this album of my parents.  Don't remember hearing it.

Whipped Cream & Other Delights | Discogs

It's like she ran into Randy Marsh.

randy_copy3.jpg