Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

The interaction between grey-vest and the cop is great. The cop starts the conversation and immediately turns into a whining bitch when confronted by the COMPLETELY OBVIOUS reality of state-funded white power racism.

Meanwhile 1000 other LEOs stand around like dumbfucks with bicycle helmets to reassure each other through collective complicity that it's OK to enact state violence against passive black men who did nothing and are doing nothing.

All in a fucking Starbucks.

america.mp4

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

~*~ very DixonHurishly ~*~

This would all work itself out with social and economic pressure if it weren't for liberal intervention into racial politics!

~*~ entire bird's nest falls out of beard ~*~

You're not very smart, are you?

The only reason we have this information is because of social pressure.  Now Starbucks, and the police, will have to answer for it.  

But your point is valid.  Clearly the CRA prevented it from happening.

The only reason we have this information is because of social pressure.  Now Starbucks, and the police, will have to answer for it.  

The CRA may give the additional leverage of legal recourse. I like more weapons, not fewer.

Also, what an echo for me. One of my friends in law school - a prince of a guy, smart as hell, now quite successful - is a black guy who grew up in Philly. I remember him telling me about an occasion the summer before Law school. A friend of his (college grad, traveling for business) was in philly for work. My friend went to his hotel to meet him so they could go grab a beer and dinner. He was sitting in the lobby for 5 mins when the cops came in. They grilled him about whether he was a guest (no, I’m here to meet a friend for dinner). They asked for his ID. They checked for warrants. His friend car down (also a black guy), and they asked if they could leave for dinner. The cops had to confab for a bit before they said sure (as they had no basis to hold him).

Just a day in the life of a black guy. But, you know, they’re only mad because Soros pays them and stuff.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The CRA has a role to play in Starbucks and the police having to answer for it. It's not just social pressure.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The CRA has a role to play in Starbucks and the police having to answer for it. It's not just social pressure.

No, actually it doesn't.  

A random employee of Starbucks calling the police is not fixed by the CRA, nor was police brutality...that's a constitutional rights issue.

Not to mention, we don't even have all the facts yet.  Is this automatically a race issue because they weren't white?

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It's quite likely there is but waiting for it doesn't give us the opportunity to fan the flames and push an agenda.

Doesn't look like it.

Looks like two black guys go to Starbucks to meet friend and don't order anything. Starbucks calls the cops because they're scary looking. Cops come and tell them to leave. They say they don't want to leave because that's bullshit. Their friend shows up in his fancy vest and calls out the cops for their bullshit. Cops arrest the two guys for trespassing. They are released from jail at 1am and no charges are filed.

Edited by Seger78

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

No, actually it doesn't.  

A random employee of Starbucks calling the police is not fixed by the CRA, nor was police brutality...that's a constitutional rights issue.

Not to mention, we don't even have all the facts yet.  Is this automatically a race issue because they weren't white?

Um, they can sue the city based on rights granted by the Civil Rights Act of 1871. Now I get that that's not the CRA you're talking about, but it definitely helps give credence to the notion that there are civil rights in this country that need to be protected beyond the Constitution's limitations on government.

Edited by David Dennison

1 minute ago, Seger78 said:

Doesn't look like it.

Looks like two black guys go to Starbucks to meet friend and don't order anything. Starbucks calls the cops because they're scary looking. Cops come and tell them to leave. They say they don't want to leave because that's bullshit. Their friend shows up in his fancy vest and calls out the cops for their bullshit. Cops arrest the two guys for trespassing.

You may be correct but we don’t know all of the events leading up to the video.

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We do know that witnesses in the video can be heard saying that they didn't do anything, and we also know that there were no charges filed.

Edited by Seger78
illiterate

9 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I hope my sarcasm meter is broke.

They are dumbasses for not immediately ordering two free tasty waters, may be the best thing there. But then again, maybe they didn't know they could.

Loitering is probably a crime there. Strange how the videographer of the longer video laughs at the end.

Edited by JohnnyRage

1 minute ago, Seger78 said:

We do know  that witnesses in the video can be heard  saying that they didn't do anything, and we also know that there were no charges filed.

the only person than can shed light on this is the starbucks worker who called the police. if their answer is simply that they were sitting there without ordering anything, then that is not enough since that is common practice at starbucks. if they say that they were sitting there and said "mmm baby shake that ass" as a female customer walked by, then that is enough.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Um, they can sue the city based on rights granted by the Civil Rights Act of 1871. Now I get that that's not the CRA you're talking about, but it definitely helps give credence to the notion that there are civil rights in this country that need to be protected beyond the Constitution limitations on government.

I understand your point, I just happen to disagree with the idea of using civil remedies to solve unconstitutional actions.

Tax payers just end up footing the bill, but outside of the particular case being litigated, nothing changes in the big picture.

It's not that I don't care, it's just that I think social and economic pressure, along  with litigation from a constitutional perspective are far more effective in the long run.  

I don't believe you can can make someone less of a bigot by passing laws, but I do think you can make them more bigoted by doing so.  You just push the hatred further into the shadows so it's not as obvious.  I'd prefer to know who the bigots are so I can't avoid them both socially and financially.

Anyway, we've already had 2 threads on the issue.  Don't think we need a third, so I'm out.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

This is ultimately the issue. There is no more to story. People just automatically assume there is. 

I don't assume there is.  I'm hoping there is.   I believe this happens all the time, exactly as presented in the video.  I also know that there is sometimes more to a story, and a knee-jerk response to a 30-second clip can sometimes backfire.  Shouldn't take long to get the full story. 

i just had a look at the location where this occurred and think maybe i have something to add.

here's the streetview.  the thing to note here is the absence of people who aren't white.  people who have never lived up north don't have an appreciation for northern racism.  it's pernicious and therefore subtle.

i haven't read the detail and also realize the whole episode can turn on learning additional insight that is probably not available at this point.  what i do know is my experiences living up north taught me how to read the racism there.  looking at the streetview scene and using goog's wayback machine to look back in time, i couldn't see a non-white face until i got back to 2011.  back then the site was a cleaners, not a bad-coffee joint.  we, down here, don't realize how segregated the northern cities are.  it isn't official and isn't recognized up there.  it just is.

simply those folks being in an all-white area is an offense, and i'm sure the offenders here knew it.  it was a minor-league version of the lady who refused to go to the back of the bus.

edit:  adden-dumb.

i looked again at the streetview i just posted and realize i made a mistake.  there is one woman on the street who may be non-white but the google smear makes it not clear whether or not.  if african, she is light-skinned.

but well down one of the streets i just found a man who is clearly african.  that doesn't change my opinion one bit, but i erred in not noticing that.  what isn't wrong is my understanding of the north.  i used to see a cop having pulled over a car in a all-white neighborhood and would make a guess regarding the age of the black person driving.  when i say, all-white, by the way, i mean all white except the one or two black families who live there who are ordained to be the pets of the neighborhood.  like sammy davis, they are there to show how not-racist the neighborhood is.  any non-pets are one their own.

Edited by yaqdum

i just had a look at the location where this occurred and think maybe i have something to add.
here's the streetview.  the thing to note here is the absence of people who aren't white.  people who have never lived up north don't have an appreciation for northern racism.  it's pernicious and therefore subtle.
i haven't read the detail and also realize the whole episode can turn on learning additional insight that is probably not available at this point.  what i do know is my experiences living up north taught me how to read the racism there.  looking at the streetview scene and using goog's wayback machine to look back in time, i couldn't see a non-white face until i got back to 2011.  back then the site was a cleaners, not a bad-coffee joint.  we, down here, don't realize how segregated the northern cities are.  it isn't official and isn't recognized up there.  it just is.
simply those folks being in an all-white area is an offense, and i'm sure the offenders here knew it.  it was a minor-league version of the lady who refused to go to the back of the bus.

I’ve gone through tons of small towns from Canada to Cali to New Mex to Vidor to La, Miss, Bama, Florida, Chicago, almost most of the country and I think the most blatantly racist town I’ve gone to was Ronkonkama, NY in Suffolk County Long Island. Your post describes Northern Cities perfectly, especially brownstone gentrifying Brooklyn, Philly, DC, etc. Boston and Chicago are less subtle of course. Shit, Hipster Williamsburg And Greenpoint Brooklyn have Nazi Skinhead gangs.

Northern racism is the most frustrating because they do passive-aggressive shit to try to get under your skin. The north is a lot more segregated and talks shit about the South even though they’re worse outside a few areas.

6 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

there are 4 black people right there in your streetview.

since everyone is speculating, i will speculate. the starbucks had been pretty busy. these guys were sitting there taking up two tables for 30 minutes without ordering. they aren't on laptops or anything, just sitting there. if they were white, they would have been asked to order or leave and they would have just left. but since they are black, they get asked the same thing and they claim it is because they are black. cops have to be called. because they won't leave.

5 minutes ago, po elvis said:

since everyone is speculating, i will speculate. the starbucks had been pretty busy. these guys were sitting there taking up two tables for 30 minutes without ordering. they aren't on laptops or anything, just sitting there. if they were white, they would have been asked to order or leave and they would have just left. but since they are black, they get asked the same thing and they claim it is because they are black. cops have to be called. because they won't leave.

i'm not sure about four but i see your point.  i''ll be quiet now.

7 minutes ago, Rocko said:

Maybe don’t break the law and you won’t get arrested. I somehow avoid it every day.  

If you do that by avoiding situations in which you are waiting for someone to meet you at restaurants, hotel lobbies, etc., you are less free than I am.  And that's the problem. 

1 minute ago, po elvis said:

or just not phased by emotion.

I think you are phased by emotion.  I think you often force yourself into hard conclusions that make you feel more comfortable with your worldview even when you don't know all of the facts.  Someone operating with a lack of emotion would want to know all of the context before making any declarative conclusion.  We don't know everything that happened but we definitely know what you want to have happened.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I was picking up an order at an IHOP in Plano at 11 pm and a homeless white guy was sitting inside the waiting area just screaming all sorts of vile shit at some imaginary person and not a single person called the cops. If it was a black dude wonder how long until cops show up. 

Philly and Boston are insanely racist though. 

48 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Because black folks put up with a lot of shit through out life. At some point they just can't see the same act as fair. You must be a white dude that does not get it. I am Hispanic so I do not get it as bad but when I was I UT some white girl turned her glove in at the intramural ahead of me and asked if she could get a discount if she was a minority. You know how many discounts minorities get for being a minority. ZERO. Listen to this type shit and get the looks all your life and then tell me if you would perceived being asked to leave as something that just everyone has happen to them.

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I was picking up an order at an IHOP in Plano at 11 pm and a homeless white guy was sitting inside the waiting area just screaming all sorts of vile shit at some imaginary person and not a single person called the cops. If it was a black dude wonder how long until cops show up. 
Philly and Boston are insanely racist though. 

Why the fuck were you getting IHOP to go in Plano? That don’t make no sense.