Thread of Statue Removals

Hugo Stiglitz

28 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

When are the Andrew Jackson statues coming down? My grandmother’s great grandparents had to walk to fucking Oklahoma because of that prick

I toured The Hermitage last year and they were having a big "save the $20" campaign. I politely declined that one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The line between Columbus and the Confederates runs straight through the Founding Fathers.

While deeply flawed, the founding fathers were successful traitors that were never removed from power for being tyrannical assholes. 

Man this needle is challenging to thread. 

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

While he deserves it, something tells me former presidents are safe for now.

There is a high school called The Democrats, and there's a statue by the track. The statue had some graffiti that said slave owner.

Alsodazed and confused GIF by Complex

Edited by workswithseed

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's getting very heated, they're dead serious about it

Where in Port Arthur are they planning to put them? I can't imagine the City Council would be okay with putting them on any city land and I can't think of any private land in the city proper that's large enough for more than a couple. Sounds like some Mid-County shit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Where in Port Arthur are they planning to put them? I can't imagine the City Council would be okay with putting them on any city land and I can't think of any private land in the city proper that's large enough for more than a couple. Sounds like some Mid-County shit. 

Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site

So what I've been able to read, the plan is to move the statue of Dick Dowling from Memorial Park in Houston to the battleground site in Sabine Pass, which I guess is contextually accurate since that is the battle for which he's famous. I guess the anger comes from the fact that no one bothered to ask the mayor of Port Arthur about it. 

Ewww, I don’t read y’all’s football board - they’re a bunch of fucking crazy people.

But I agree with the idea that these kids are finally recognizing their power and are asking for the moon to get what’s really important.

That whole thread is focused on the song. And when the players get everything else they demand and the song gets kept but the players are not forced to perform it, 99% of UT fans will react with “WHEW! Thank Vince we get to keep the song!”.

With nary a peep about the building names, statues, or asked money investment in causes important to the players.

I fully expect to see players at Alabama and Auburn and other big southern football factory universities doing the same.

AU is gonna have a problem with “War Eagle”.

Just now, Bama Chick said:

Ewww, I don’t read y’all’s football board - they’re a bunch of fucking crazy people.

But I agree with the idea that these kids are finally recognizing their power and are asking for the moon to get what’s really important.

That whole thread is focused on the song. And when the players get everything else they demand and the song gets kept but the players are forced to perform it, 99% of UT fans will react with “WHEW! Thank Vince we get to keep the song!”.

With nary a peep about the building names, statues, or asked money investment in causes important to the players.

I fully expect to see players at Alabama and Auburn and other big southern football factory universities doing the same.

AU is gonna have a problem with “War Eagle”.

I hope they realize they can bring college football to its knees.

• Like 1

Sabine Pass was annexed by Port Arthur in the '70s but it is unlike Port Arthur in every way...The Dowling statue is a good fit for the SP battleground and community but the African American mayor of PA has to take a stand against it.

Though I am not sure if the state park is in Port Arthur city limits or not. 

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

spacer.png

Ok, I can't just give you the rep w/o saying that after wading through some of the DT COVID thread and the board discussion threads lately (before abandoning ship), I am crying here. Well done, sir, well done.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addition

45 minutes ago, Xian said:

I didn’t realize people actually lived in Sabine pass. I figured the refineries and hurricanes forced everyone to flee

They just built a very expensive-looking citadel of a new school down there -- what few people who are still there seem determined to stay forever. There is also a Coast Guard station and there is even a motel. I think the Boot Scoot Tavern is long gone, though there are still signs pointing to where it used to be. 

One of my ancestors settled there in about 1840...And he was a keeper of the Sabine Light during the war. He was a Unionist from Maine and he hightailed it out of there on one of Granger's boats with his Cajun wife and their eight kids and went back to Maine for the duration. He and his wife came back right after the war and settled in Bolivar, and some of the rest of his kids came back to Sabine Pass later, in the 1880s. My 2xg-grandfather got there just in time to build a house and have it destroyed by the forgotten killer hurricane of 1886. He rebuilt and then along came 1900. He rebuilt again but died before 1915. That was the one that finally drove my ancestors out of there, but only so far as Beaumont and PA. (They were nautical men by trade.)

Sabine Pass is one of many coastal Texas towns that was once envisioned as something much more than it ended up to be. It was supposed to *be* Port Arthur, not one day get annexed by Port Arthur. Man, getting annexed by Port Arthur...that's a sure sign your town has gone to hell if Port Arthur is annexing you. (I am in the tiny minority of Texans who genuinely likes PA, but it's got problems.)

• Like 3