Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah. Texas can forego all donor money and still be a top 5 profitable program in the country but we wouldn't be #1 and win all those Revenue Championships, which is and seemingly has been the goal of the Athletics Department since the 80s. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c04557e84ec811fffb1d96cd9a872347.jpeg

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering it is sung to the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad", shouldn't the Chinese students be the ones with the problem?

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age.  That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon

I don't like some if the demands but I'm not a black athlete representing the University of Texas. I don't know what it's like to deal with the fucked up system that they've grown up under.  Fuck

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol Texas football will be fine without your money and a few others

Maybe. Maybe not, dependent on numbers. Honestly, I feel little emotional attachment to that song. However, I don't care to be part of twisting history and truth to bow to neo-liberal party hacks. I say that as a life-long independent, anti-war economic leftist, and social libertarian. Both major parties and their corporate, money and attention grabbing political hacks and puppets make me sick. There is no difference between the two big parties. Neither one of them represent the middle and working classes or the growing numbers of poor. I'm done with this non-issue. Hopefully, it completely disappears from this board and from the "news".

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1
4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah. Texas can forego all donor money and still be a top 5 profitable program in the country but we wouldn't be #1 and win all those Revenue Championships, which is and seemingly has been the goal of the Athletics Department since the 80s. 

Lord forbid we lose the revenue war but start winning in the field

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Can I get a fact check from RD or someone else who follows this stuff?

He is working off of 2018 numbers, but is not far off. For FY 2019, donations were $48.3 mil, for FY 2020 they were $49.4.

What he is ignoring is that expenses at UT are far higher than other schools, for a variety of reasons. For example, the Nike contract includes "$22.5 million over the life of the contract for “financial support of UT Austin university initiatives (outside Intercollegiate Athletics) subject to UT Austin President’s approval" and well as four paid annual internships funded by Nike for two student-athletes and two (non-student-athlete) undergraduate UT Austin students."*

There are a lot of opportunities given to students by Bellmont. And jobs, to both members of the community as well as to students wanting to pursue careers in live sports entertainment.

Yes, Texas could start refusing to accept donor contributions. To do so would necessitate a massive restructuring of the entire athletics department. It would necessitate eliminating the millions given annually by the athletics department to the academic side, something only very few schools in the nation do (LSU is the only other school in the nation that comes to mind at the moment).

Simply claiming "everything would be ok" is very simplistic.

* Source: https://www.hookem.com/uncategorized/20151030/details-of-utnike-250-million-contract-include-cash-up-front-kevin-durant-line-of-apparel/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Put me in the camp of "the song will eventually go away, so just end it now so we don't have to keep doing this." 

We can reasonably defend the song as non-racist. We can make logical arguments to justify it, many of which are valid.

But it doesn't matter. It's stained at this point; it's already done. More and more people will associate it with ugly racism - whether you think it should be or not. It doesn't matter anymore. 

My hunch is that the current student majority would vote to get rid of it. To me, this is their time. The players clearly have strong feelings about it. And every time it is covered in the media, it will carry negative connotations and we will look bad. And nothing good will come out of digging our collective heels in.  

I personally don't care about the song. Its a song. Not hearing it again will do nothing to change the fact that I had a great experience at UT, that I have pride in the institution, that I enjoy following the school's academic and athletic events, etc. And none of that is affected by whether we sing along to EOT after a football game, at all. My position is that I am not qualified to tell anyone what should or should not offend them. 

This is where I'm at. It's irrelevant whether there is or isn't a racist past with The Eyes. If the current students don't want something, then the school should go with their opinions. The school and the sports is for them first, and alumni second.

And agree 100% that no one is ever in a position to tell someone else that they're not being offended. Obviously there is a general reasonableness check on whether something should be banned or stopped but I can't say that is my role to decide. And if you are someone that wants to argue something isn't racist, that seems like a poor position to put yourself in.

finally, I could care less about a school song. Getting all worked up about keeping the song is very Aggie-like. I went to UT to avoid that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3
15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In this as with all politically charged issues in the 21st century, both sides seem unwilling to show empathy to the opposition and see their perspective. 

I thought the university had a committee and would find a compromised solution like denouncing racism and educating on minstrel shows and other bigoted parts of university history, without canceling a song that is not itself racist. Old honkies don‚Äôt care what ‚Äúthe blacks‚ÄĚ think, while progressives and SJWs seem bent on eradicating it. Seeming charged myself, can we not get to a place where people don‚Äôt feel the need to be offended and seek out controversy where none exists? This is way beyond EOT. Society is devolving into an Us vs Them turf war where one side is portrayed as being intolerant to any change while the other side would be content tearing everything down originating or celebrating a time, person, or event that occurred prior to whatever period is compliant with the contemporary acceptable social narrative.¬†

Report from UT will be released next week per Quan Cosby who said he was on the Committee researching the history and discussing this issue.  He stated that the Committee was a diversified group of folks from various backgrounds to gather several different perspectives.

(Quan was on HornFM this morning. I'll try to add playback when available.)

FWIW... Quan has been a supporter of keeping EOT

• Hook 'Em 3
38 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Lol really?? Y’all are missing out if some of y’all’s coolest moments in a rich Texas sports history was singing a song...ijs 

It’s more the cherry on top of the many awesome victories we’ve had. 

how did aggy manage to keep an actual shrine to a literal, documented, racist confederate general and killer of blacks that was protected for weeks/months by the actual physical presence of their rich old white alumni...and somehow their student athletes and recruits handled it and they didn't end up featured in the Texas Tribune or the nightly news repeatedly over it?

is it just lower expectations¬†for them??¬†i mean wtf ūüôĄ

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

how did aggy manage to keep an actual shrine to a literal, documented, racist confederate general and killer of blacks that was protected for weeks/months by the actual physical presence of their rich old white alumni...and somehow their student athletes and recruits handled it and they didn't end up featured in the Texas Tribune or the nightly news repeatedly over it?

There was a lot of discontent over some of the football players' opinions and protests. Then their football team won 10 games and finished in the top 5 of the AP Poll and it all went away.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2
28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Funny how when talking about America we don't also incorporate Pluto in the discussion. 

I'm sorry, I thought the subject was racism, not "America."

How granular are you ok with when it comes to when being accepting of racism? Better yet, how is it that you are indifferent to racism in any form?

Show me racism on Pluto and I will say it is wrong. Show me racism outside America and I will say it is wrong. Show me racism inside America and I will say its wrong.

I don't see EOT as being racist.

I see this whole controversy as an exercise of re-examining the past through a lens of modern culture, not accounting for the distortions of that lens.

Our national anthem was set to the tune of a somewhat bawdy drinking song of an English gentlemen's club circa 1775. If I choose to sing the original words to the original tune, am I being anti-American because I'm desecrating our sacred national anthem?

No.

I don't see EOT as having deep racist overtones in the 1920s or today. Nor do I find Black men wearing white face celebrating minstrel culture today as having deeply racist overtones. Based upon the cultural context.

I encourage those who do see a racist connection to EOT to travel to this year's Minstrel Carnival in Cape Town in June to learn more about cultural context.

Cultures change. I don't believe any racist overtones or undertones connected with EOT today. I'm open to discussing the subject. I hope the commission's report helps advance the discussion.

We will see.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1
1 minute ago, Machinator said:

There was a lot of discontent over some of the football players' opinions and protests. Then their football team won 10 games and finished in the top 5 of the AP Poll and it all went away.

Winning solves everything lol

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

s4IzUjo.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Like the Washington Football Team story with their former name and logo, this will be a recurring issue until the song is shelved by the university.

dog walk GIF by lilcozynostril

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Because they just said no.  No is a complete fucking sentence.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Yes.

UT has always been held to a higher standard than A&M simply because UT is "of, by, and for the people of Texas" and TAMU has always been just "A&M." (A&M was a federal construct and a vestige of the 1870s Reconstruction "occupation" government of Texas. Not being "of, by, and for the people of Texas" is the exact reason Texas A&M was looked down upon by Texans in 1876. They have never been able to wash off that stench.)

"From the earliest times" state's namesake university has been "the cherished design of the people of the republic and the state of Texas."

It's the other edge of the sword.

There are Aggies, and then there are aggys. The Aggies are the "2%ers" who represent intelligent thought and actually contribute to the betterment of Texas.

aggys go to A&M for a racist, redneck cultural indoctrination. And to try to learn farming. And to play Army.

The racist aggy faction in Texas is alive and well, as evidenced by the shrine to white supremacy at the center of the A&M campus. Remember that during King Gill's time at A&M they were promoting local Klan rallies over the PA system during home football games. After Brown v Board they held a campus referendum to assert they would never abide by the decision. The racist roots of A&M run very deep. Jefferson Davis, Sul Ross, King Gill, John Sharp. The list of racist pieces of shit within the aggy culture is long. Today it numbers over 500,000.

A&M exists to represent the racist element in the state and in the state legislature. And to perpetuate racism in Texas.

UT has always been held to a higher standard. Fighting racism at UT leads to change at least somewhere in Texas. Fighting racism within the culture of Texas A&M is a losing battle. aggys will never reform. "Tradition" at A&M is just aggy code for what we call racism.

It's just the way it is.

And always will be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

To me being hidebound to tradition can be a dangerous thing.

At one time the tradition for football teams was two a days in the heat of the summer with little to no breaks for water. If someone asked for water or to rest they were labeled a "pussy".

At one time traditional tackling methods including the clothes line where a player could effectively be tackled by an arm to their throat, a traditional swim move on the DL involved hitting the OL in the helmet to gain advantage. Hitting defenseless players was allowed via crackback blocks and there was an entire genre of VHS tapes dedicated to "vicious hits" that today would all be illegal.

At one time the tradition was to field only white players.

etc etc etc

All these traditions have been updated over the years as better information or changing societal views emerged. Being the "get off my lawn" person in the face of this criticism seems like misplaced energy.

Find a new tradition.

• Hook 'Em 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Report from UT will be released next week per Quan Cosby who said he was on the Committee researching the history and discussing this issue.  He stated that the Committee was a diversified group of folks from various backgrounds to gather several different perspective.  (Quan was on HornFM this morning. I'll try to add playback when available.)

FWIW... Quan has been a supporter of keeping EOT

Link to today's Quan Cosby radio interview as promised.

https://hornfm.com/2021/03/02/quan-cosby-on-eyes-of-texas-be/ 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
19 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Disgusting.  I hope nature runs its course on these types of people, sooner rather than later.   

You clearly don't travel much. Racism in the U.S. exists, but it small potatoes compared to most of the world.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1
Just now, Hornin' In said:

You clearly don't travel much. Racism in the U.S. exists, but it small potatoes compared to most of the world.

I don't know if it's ironic or unironic but Asians are amongst the most racist people I've encountered in the world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
56 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This thread alone is rife with numerous notions to blacks being lucky to even be a part of the university and other thoughts of the same bent. When people start to resort to racism to defend something that isn't racist, well then you lose the battle before it even begins, regardless of the facts at hand.  

Damn

Based on how different regions vote, I made assumptions about their views and beliefs. The first few times I visited the northeast US, I was knocked back by what people said in bars with a couple drinks in them. Not little jabbing between friends of different races that I grew up with, but full blown racism. Then I spent time in Europe, then the Middle East. LOL I was at a point where I questioned if Texas was the least racist place in the world overall in terms of the vast majority of people respecting and (trying to) understand other races and cultures within the state (the 5% of mostly east Texans, not withstanding).

• Hook 'Em 4
Posted (edited)

Regardless of your opinion of the issue, it needs to be fixed by the admin/university or else it is going to start affecting our ability to attract and retain talent. If Sark goes out and wins 10 games this year with this issue continuing to linger and the NFL comes calling he may not want to put up with this nonsense anymore. This issue should have resolved months ago. Embarrassing for the university and its fan base that it’s dragged on.

Edited by Hookem2147

Well, fuck it, get rid of orange and white (white is racist), the Longhorn (cows are major cause of global warming) and Texas Fight (we should learn to live together not fight other schools), as well.

We can all sit around in muted colors and sing Kumbaya...it'll be great. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I don’t think the song itself is racist but at this point I feel like the writing is on the wall and it’s only a matter of time before it’s removed. I don’t necessarily agree with it being removed but I don’t see any of this dying down until it’s gone. Just my 2 cents.

Racism and freedoms are the bigger issues here.

• If you keep EOT, some are hurt
  • If you get rid of EOT, others are hurt

So in the end, unless there is compromise someone gets hurt.  Funny to me how some folks on here only want their way and make fun of and belittle the ones on the other side for their wishes and beliefs.

That's not Unifying...

Hope we all start listening better to each other and find more common ground.  Gather the facts, and hopefully find a result that includes compromises that honors both sides... 

Did somebody really tell him that players "have to sing to play?" 

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

2) these new emails. these emails are outrageous. they are racist, they are full of entitlement, and they are a further indicator that texas athletics is kind of a ship of fools steered by alumni with checkbooks. but beyond that, they are a further indicator that we have a racist problem.

The number of racist alums (about 150 or so that we know of today?) is never going to be zero. Never.

Do you think we can we handle that?

1 minute ago, GringoSalado said:

Did somebody really tell him that players "have to sing to play?" 

The number of racist alums (about 150 or so that we know of today?) is never going to be zero. Never.

we should fucking repudiate it is what we should do. start with the guy talking about "the blacks." tell him to get fucked, we don't need your racist money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Just now, hayden_horn said:

we should fucking repudiate it is what we should do. start with the guy talking about "the blacks." tell him to get fucked, we don't need your racist money.

?

We're not doing that?

Fuck that guy, just in case you didn't mark me down.

6 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Yeah every school is always going to have racist alums, vocal and otherwise. We can't give those alums outsized influence/voice in the school just based in their annual donation numbers though. 

Or, in one of those racist's own parlance, lets not let the tail wag the dog.

• Hook 'Em 2
9 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

?

We're not doing that?

Fuck that guy, just in case you didn't mark me down.

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

sure looks like we are protecting them by redacting their names.

Posted (edited)

Listening to Quan, sort of saying that Overshown mainly doesn't want to be told what to think about the song, and was surprised and hurt by backlash from his tweet or whatever. Quan said he didn't find song racist, but doesn't really say if his opinion has changed (after serving on the committee). I guess reading between the lines I'd say his opinion changed, but right now he isn't saying it is racist in his opinion. He's trying to stay safe w/ both sides.

Bucky kind of saying racist letter writers aren't going away anytime soon and are probably pretty happy with the amount of shit they are able to stir up.

Quan's made a point was that weren't letter writers trying to cancel the players, cancel culture.

Also reiterates that you can't tell somebody how to feel, so if players think it is racist then that is that, I guess, and agree to disagree.

Then he says a lot of minority testimony to the committee in favor of keeping song, overall sounds like the committee was a productive and informative one.

Closes by comparing opinion to fact, saying that 2005 game was best NC game ever in his opinion, but of course that is fact and not a matter of opinion, but that is the only fault I find.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1