clapclapclap

Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Unfortunately there is a track record of people who buy into unsubstantiated hype online, that take it as gospel, get themselves riled up, make the situation worse and people end up hurt/dead/property destroyed.  Spreading it here is conceivably dangerous and stupid, on your part.  

It's all over social media already, so I find it laughable that you think posting it on a UT fan board is "dangerous." Stupid? Yeah maybe, but I allowed more than once on this thread that the buses/paid protestors part could very well be bullshit. I'm aware it usually is.

The part I'm more concerned about is DPS acknowledging "reports of people planning to disrupt protests happening this weekend." We all know what that means, and it's not good. But it tracks with what my friend, who has contacts in APD, has said. Whether those people are already here or they arrived by bus, car or helicopter, who cares? They're looking for trouble. And I am glad to hear APD & DPS are preparing for it. If they'd done a better job of that last weekend then maybe a life would have been saved.

22 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Unfortunately there is a track record of people who buy into unsubstantiated hype online, that take it as gospel, get themselves riled up, make the situation worse and people end up hurt/dead/property destroyed.  Spreading it here is conceivably dangerous and stupid, on your part.  

Please; this is the other place...

For the record....

I, Longhorn, do not have any intent to shoot a protester (with or without an AK-47), California roll a right on red, or aggressively honk my horn this weekend or in the future.

Thank you, 

Longhorn.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

For the record....

I, Longhorn, do not have any intent to shoot a protester (with or without an AK-47), California roll a right on red, or aggressively honk my horn this weekend or in the future.

Thank you, 

Longhorn.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Something weird is happening in this country. There are more forces at play than orange man-haters and anti-racists.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

On Thursday I counted 30+ dps vehicles between Austin and Abilene.  All headed towards Austin.  I thought there may be a convention.   Over 1000 troopers being brought in for the weekend protest + dhs, dea and border patrol.   

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.790abc72494946d2fa696af218cd2944.png

Keep your head on a swivel. Snipers are looking to take positions in apartments along I-35. 

Edited by 3adays

52 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's all over social media already, so I find it laughable that you think posting it on a UT fan board is "dangerous." Stupid? Yeah maybe, but I allowed more than once on this thread that the buses/paid protestors part could very well be bullshit. I'm aware it usually is.

The part I'm more concerned about is DPS acknowledging "reports of people planning to disrupt protests happening this weekend." We all know what that means, and it's not good. But it tracks with what my friend, who has contacts in APD, has said. Whether those people are already here or they arrived by bus, car or helicopter, who cares? They're looking for trouble. And I am glad to hear APD & DPS are preparing for it. If they'd done a better job of that last weekend then maybe a life would have been saved.

Your original ‘concern’ was over bussed rioters.  You changed over to mostly ‘concerned’ about people planning to disrupt the protests once you posted that KXAN link as a response to people feeling the bussed rioters assertion was likely bs.  

Sounds like police are aware that protests about politically charged issues bring out angry people on both sides of the issue and they’re preparing for it. And I don’t know what police were going to do about a man exercising his (stupid, IMO) right to lawfully carry around an assault rifle in a charged atmosphere...or a guy driving around with a pistol in his car, again legally.  Isn’t that prior restraint?

A guy toting a fucking AK was literally shot to death by another guy who was on social media fantasizing about murdering protesters and there are genuinely people alive wondering why APD would have its dander up about future protests?

lol Christ on a bicycle

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Your original ‘concern’ was over bussed rioters.  You changed over to mostly ‘concerned’ about people planning to disrupt the protests once you posted that KXAN link as a response to people feeling the bussed rioters assertion was likely bs.  

It's all the same to me. I'm concerned about people, whether as individuals or in groups, planning to disrupt peaceful protests with violence in my city. Whether they arrive by bus or car, or if they're already here, it doesn't make much difference to me.

Sounds like police are aware that protests about politically charged issues bring out angry people on both sides of the issue and they’re preparing for it. And I don’t know what police were going to do about a man exercising his (stupid, IMO) right to lawfully carry around an assault rifle in a charged atmosphere...or a guy driving around with a pistol in his car, again legally.  Isn’t that prior restraint?

You're right about this, and I misspoke. My complaint should have been directed not at APD/DPS, but at the mayor/city for allowing people to march down a major street without a permit, not blocking off traffic, and not allowing law enforcement to do their job. I agree there's nothing police could have done to prevent the shooting, but if the city didn't allow a free-for-all on Congress Ave, it likely wouldn't have happened.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's all the same to me. I'm concerned about people, whether as individuals or in groups, planning to disrupt peaceful protests with violence in my city. Whether they arrive by bus or car, or if they're already here, it doesn't make much difference to me.

You're right about this, and I misspoke. My complaint should have been directed not at APD/DPS, but at the mayor/city for allowing people to march down a major street without a permit, not blocking off traffic, and not allowing law enforcement to do their job. I agree there's nothing police could have done to prevent the shooting, but if the city didn't allow a free-for-all on Congress Ave, it likely wouldn't have happened.

its a good thing this is the state capital.  our city govt has no chance of handling this.

For what it’s worth my Facebook has a post saying something extremely similar to Art, that Someone from Apd says that Antifa is protesting tonight. Could all be bs.

47 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

On Thursday I counted 30+ dps vehicles between Austin and Abilene.  All headed towards Austin.  I thought there may be a convention.   Over 1000 troopers being brought in for the weekend protest + dhs, dea and border patrol.   

Yep, I drove SA to ATX on Wednesday had about 15 DPS cars and Explorers pass me in Kyle heading north.

I was wondering what the fuck that was about and now it makes sense.

People are gonna riot because one white dipshit private citizen shot another white dipshit private citizen to death? And they get paid/sponsored to do this?

My career choice is shit....

I will be more than happy if it all turns out to be bullshit. I guess we'll find out tonight on the local news.

It will turn out to be bullshit. How do we know? The story is about busloads of people. Last I checked, there are no stealth buses. There are plenty of people with a vested interest in that story being true. Tail them, photograph their arrival and unloading. Should be pretty easy.

Yet we won’t see that. Just like we didn’t earlier this year when there were BS reports of the same thing. Or a few years back. Or ever here in Austin.

Posted (edited)

No surprise the usual Cabal suspects were attacking @Art Vandelay. There is now substantiation. Apologies are in order. Hope and pray that violence can be averted and that law enforcement can control the situation. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No surprise the usual Cabal suspects were attacking @Art Vandelay. There is now substantiation. Apologies are in order. Hope and pray that violence can be averted and that law enforcement can control the situation. 

So are you saying we should hire him as our latex salesman?

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It will turn out to be bullshit. How do we know? The story is about busloads of people. Last I checked, there are no stealth buses. There are plenty of people with a vested interest in that story being true. Tail them, photograph their arrival and unloading. Should be pretty easy.

Yet we won’t see that. Just like we didn’t earlier this year when there were BS reports of the same thing. Or a few years back. Or ever here in Austin.

Yup, just like other allegedly violent caravans, this is just bullshit being spread to justify action. APD is smart to be prepared given the recent shooting, everything else is just theater for idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No surprise the usual Cabal suspects were attacking @Art Vandelay for what he heard. There is now substantiation. Apologies are in order

What substantiation? A bunch of conservative candidates and former politicians repeating the same thing echoing the same source?

Signal strength of a message has nothing to do with it's veracity

37 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No surprise an exceptionally stupid post.

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

Keep your head on a swivel. Snipers are looking to take positions in apartments along I-35. 

The preferred nomenclature is “Stay frosty!”

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

What substantiation? A bunch of conservative candidates and former politicians repeating the same thing echoing the same source?

Signal strength of a message has nothing to do with it's veracity

Thanks.  Everyone, can we now get back to serious discussion?  Our self-anointed fact checker of whether sources are legitimate are not has now spoken.  And he has the best sources:

On 7/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, Captainant said:

In the Austin subreddit, folks who were there are saying the car just rolled up, a guy jumped out, and started shooting. Not clear what the motivations are, but the shooter clearly wanted to harm some protesters specifically. No escalation, just straight to murder

He was actually right, though, based on the shooter's own words he did want to harm protesters specifically and while many anti-carry people (like me) argue that simply having a visible weapon is an escalation, pro-carry people argue otherwise.

Seems like the only thing Ant got wrong was "jumped out".

Also, people riding buses to the state capitol to protest is a perfectly normal thing. If you don't like it, move away from where the state government is I guess.

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Also, people riding buses to the state capitol to protest is a perfectly normal thing. If you don't like it, move away from where the state government is I guess.

But these are Soros-funded Antifa Supersoldiers who are coming to kill our families and burn all the churches down! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 3adays said:

I'm getting a 404 not found.   Was this what you were trying to post?

EeWcDbRX0AMEMdp?format=jpg&name=large

Edit:  I forgot that today is the 54th anniversary of the tower shootings. 

I had made a satirical callout for Whitman to declare his whereabouts, hence his reply.  Sorry about that.  

Edited by clapclapclap

14 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

But these are Soros-funded Antifa Supersoldiers who are coming to kill our families and burn all the churches down! 

Well I certainly hope that isn't true!

I'm sure everyone who believes it is an evidence-based thinker, so when it turns out to not be the case they will adjust their way of thinking and no longer be susceptible to this kind of conspiracy-based thinking.

218.png_large

Posted (edited)

@clapclapclap

Checking in from my farm in Virginia.  Just got in after a week in Snowshoe, WV.  No skiing, but 60's and 70's beats the heck out of 100 deg.  No trips to Austin planned.

Edited by Whitman

2 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Checking in from my farm in Virginia.  Just got in after a week in Snowshoe, WV.  No skiing, but 60's and 70's beats the heck out of 100 deg.      

Cool.

It's 3pm when does this armed escalation begin? I think a bunch of people got trolled. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if nothing happens, the rationalization that conspiracy-minded people is that the lack of action will be because the alarm bells were raised and it scared the terrorists away.

Disconfirmed expectancy is powerful and real.

For what it’s worth my Facebook has a post saying something extremely similar to Art, that Someone from Apd says that Antifa is protesting tonight. Could all be bs.

It’s true. They’re here.

Buddy works for APD and says they’ve called everyone and anyone in for tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

It’s true. They’re here.

Don’t believe it until it is @Captainantverified. Multiple sources don’t matter. I’m glad there will be overwhelming force to confront any rabblerousers. Also, I want the cops to cite, ticket and fine the organizers if they haven’t obtained a permit to shut down traffic. That’s what I’d do to regain control, ticket and fine them to death. No permit - no protest blocking the street. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

There have been protest marches pretty much every weekend since June.  Some small, some large.  Maybe all hell will break loose tonight, but aside from the shooting last week they haven’t been bad here.  If shit does go sideways tonight id be surprised, unless the 1000s of reported cops start hassling the crowd or vs versa.  

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There have been protest marches pretty much every weekend since June.  Some small, some large.  Maybe all hell will break loose tonight, but aside from the shooting last week they haven’t been bad here.  If shit does go sideways tonight id be surprised, unless the 1000s of reported cops start hassling the crowd or vs versa.  

No they haven’t been bad here. Just looted stores, burned cars and fucking graffiti on every corner. 

42 minutes ago, 3adays said:

No they haven’t been bad here. Just looted stores, burned cars and fucking graffiti on every corner. 

Yeah, Austin is a warzone 🙄

Posted (edited)

Is this the caravan of violence y'all were referring to?

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Supporters of Donald Trump from across Texas will form a caravan on Austin’s highways on Saturday in a show of support for the president.

Starting at noon, participants in the MAGA Drag the Interstate event will begin driving a loop around I-35, US 183, Mopac and SH 71.

Organizers of the event claim that people from Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are driving to Austin to take part in the parade.

People taking part were encouraged to display pro-Trump banners and flags in their vehicles.

Photos and videos posted on social media on Saturday morning show lines of vehicles in parking lots in preparation for the rally.

It is unclear how significantly the event, which is due to end at 2:30 p.m., will affect traffic in Austin.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/texas-trump-supporters-to-form-caravan-on-austin-highways-saturday/

Edited by Dahobbs

48 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

So this is finally Jade Helm with the Gestapo in Bastropo coming to fruition?

Y’all Qaeda 

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

It’s true. They’re here.

b8c0ff3b-8ad6-4212-8390-007dc25ff591_100_h_6.gif

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, Austin is a warzone 🙄

Yeah I walked around downtown today and it was “out of control.”

Or I mean it was “off the chain.”

Yeah I’m hip.