Running thread of the disaster that is the new school year

Superhero

My daughter started in-person basketball at McCallum. They do temperature checks at the beginning, masks on the whole time, and they sanitize the shit out of everything in between practices. Even with those safeguards, she wasn’t happy at first, as she has more COVID fear that I do. 

But the last two nights I’ve picked her up from practice she’s been so upbeat and talkative. She won’t say it, but I think the combination of physical activity and being around her teammates has been great for her psyche. And it helps that she thinks she has a good shot to make the starting team.

I really hope the uptick in numbers doesn’t completely derail her season, but I think there’s a decent chance that could happen.

We will know more when classes are back to full occupancy. But my family won’t be your guinea pig.

As folks who have pushed to reopen have been shown to be wrong so consistently, I’m pessimistic.

I am not ignoring the success we’ve seen with limited outbreaks when class sizes are reduced. I am saying full classes are likely to result in different outcomes.

Firing teachers who feel unsafe in present circumstances is right in line with the trend of dumbing down our education system. Getting rid of older, more experienced teachers has been working so well, why stop now?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sports has been invaluable for my kids' sanity.  Older kid runs cross country and track and they were able to get together and run as a group regularly all through the spring and summer, unofficial and no coaches back when it was prohibited.  It's been about the only positive thing going on for him (no pun.. knock on wood).  My middle schooler has been in a complete social funk since the spring.  All his friends are still on lockdown.  I respect that and understand it but I'd have let him hang with them long ago.  He finally had one buddy whose parents eased up for a campout a few weeks ago and he was over the moon about it.  Just this week he started 7 on 7 football, his school had previously canceled the FB season.  He's had two practices so far and even running around in the heat with a mask on, I haven't seen him this excited in a long time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

We will know more when classes are back to full occupancy. But my family won’t be your guinea pig.

As folks who have pushed to reopen have been shown to be wrong so consistently, I’m pessimistic.

I am not ignoring the success we’ve seen with limited outbreaks when class sizes are reduced. I am saying full classes are likely to result in different outcomes.

Firing teachers who feel unsafe in present circumstances is right in line with the trend of dumbing down our education system. Getting rid of older, more experienced teachers has been working so well, why stop now?

Good point, all of us parents know the stats...the attrition rate even in good school districts among teachers in their first five years is astronomically high.  I am as skeptical as anyone of teacher's unions and have done my fair share of battles with them in the political arena over the years.  But by and large, somebody makes it to age 60 as a teacher...odds are they did something right along the way.  They fulfilled their passion and connected with the kids.  Now you wanna fire those same life-changers because they're concerned about their health and safety.  Also, look around the "Staff-About Us" page on your local school.  The staff and admins are typically overweight and older.  What school district are y'all in where everybody is a 25-year old cross-fit athlete?  Of course you teach for 30+ years, you're gonna get complacent...but you've also probably change a helluva lotta young lives and I want you  to stick around until we get on the other side of this Pandemic.  

Let me also echo what some of y'all have said about sports and just physical movement with friends.  I need to stop and give thanks and realize that half the stuff we spew is because we're fortunate parents with space for our kids to run.  For a lot of kids in tight spaces with no yard or street to play on, these last 9 months have had to have been insanely tough.  We don't have a pool or acreage to run around on.  But we have a quiet little cul-de-sac with a decent sized backyard, lots of young kids on the street for ours to play with, and a neighborhood park and great sidewalks for biking.  It ain't surly 1%, but it's been nice and I now realize as school is truly back on...how great it was that our girls had a little bit of yard to play, a street to bike on safely, basketball and badminton with other kids in the dead end of the street, etc.  I forget how many kids around America were cooped up for months with not many places to go.  But it's easier to be selfish and political than to realize that our own assholeness is a huge part of the reason why our kids are enduring what they're enduring. 

America is not still...9 months later...so fucking behind on this fucking pandemic because of older teachers worried about themselves.  We're at this point, worried about any little shred of normalcy for our children...because so many of the adults of this nation are ignorant, hate-filled, science-denying, selfish fucking CUNTS.  How much longer do we have to carry your sorry asses?  

If this year is lost for our children...it's because you're lost as a human being.  You might think you follow in the light of Christ, but you follow in the light of a False Messiah.  

Edited by Lobo

58 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Sports has been invaluable for my kids' sanity.  Older kid runs cross country and track and they were able to get together and run as a group regularly all through the spring and summer, unofficial and no coaches back when it was prohibited.  It's been about the only positive thing going on for him (no pun.. knock on wood).  My middle schooler has been in a complete social funk since the spring.  All his friends are still on lockdown.  I respect that and understand it but I'd have let him hang with them long ago.  He finally had one buddy whose parents eased up for a campout a few weeks ago and he was over the moon about it.  Just this week he started 7 on 7 football, his school had previously canceled the FB season.  He's had two practices so far and even running around in the heat with a mask on, I haven't seen him this excited in a long time.  

Yup my kids have been doing club soccer since August and it made a world of difference in their behavior and outlook, compared to the previous 5 months since March.  This virus isn't transmitting between children out in the open air, that's just not a thing, and there's many months of evidence to support that at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

That's tough.  I'm a strong proponent of getting kids back in school in-person, overall it's just a much better learning situation.
But in your son's specific case, I'd be inclined to pull him back home until more of his friends are going.
Ultimately, sadly, this is basically just a lost year as far as forward progress in education is concerned.  Maybe, at best, kids that are online might be getting 25% of what they should be.  But that's going to be true across the board and won't be unique for your son.

Good luck, I hope you can make a decision that puts your son in the best possible situation.

Yeah. If he can just make it through to baseball season, that will help SO much. Athletics can be a lifesaver.
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Yep... uh huh....  yeah.... yeah...  sure...  

Ummmm... 

Huh.  

That got a little weird.

That's kinda my jam, dude ;)

My daughter is having a play-date out in our learning pod today because the other little girl wants to join us because her parents opted for remote learning for the rest of the semester as we did.  And the kids are just having a blast.  This little lady will be a great addition to the little 3-person classroom we have going on already.  But I watch them play and I realize this sucks because adults suck.  Every person bitching about what happened in schools needs to shut up and realize we did this to them.  The virus started it, but we conflated it.  Not the schools, not the kids, not science.  Stupid, selfish cock-sucking pieces of human shit that hid their heads in the fucking sand for 9 months did this our kids.  As for me and my home...we're making the best of it.  People think it's tiresome carrying the weight of poor people in this country on your working backs?  It's 10x as heavy carrying the dead weight of stupid, ignorant, selfish assholes.  /rant....thanks to yourMom for pointing out I need to calm down with a nice dose of Tom Herman coaching now.  He always helps with the blood pressure ;) 

10 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Pretty entertaining 24 hours. APH demanded all Westlake football players test for covid. They can’t play (for two weeks) unless they can produce a negative test or a positive antibody result from this weekend.

Is this related to the rumors about various parties still happening among high schoolers the past few weeks?

After they had a spreader event back in September?  Or August, whatever, the months run together these days.

Is this related to the rumors about various parties still happening among high schoolers the past few weeks?
After they had a spreader event back in September?  Or August, whatever, the months run together these days.

A WHS position group all came up positive. DL I believe - I have no idea where the position group got it. APH subsequently declared the tram a cluster.

The Todd Dodge decided that the rules didn’t apply to him. APH very forcefully showed they do.

Here is the letter that the entire football org got

f8e8e6849055e768e5dbea2a1eaabf48.jpg

A WHS position group all came up positive. DL I believe - I have no idea where the position group got it. APH subsequently declared the tram a cluster.

The Todd Dodge decided that the rules didn’t apply to him. APH very forcefully showed they do.

Here is the letter that the entire football org got

f8e8e6849055e768e5dbea2a1eaabf48.jpg

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

If he doesn't like it, makes me wonder if it wasn't just a position group.

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

If he doesn't like it, makes me wonder if it wasn't just a position group.

I think I finally got the wife onboard with sending at least our oldest back. The oldest is tanking. She's behind in everything. She's half listening to the teacher. She's on Discord constantly during class. She's not doing group work and has no clue how to get caught up on it. Of course, she should know exactly how to do all of this because the teacher went over it in class...which she wasn't listening to because she was either on Spotify or Discord or some other thing than school work. It is so incredibly frustrating because she should be built for this. Luckily, the school has made turning in work late or revising previously turned in work an option. My wife is so frustrated that she wants to send her back next week so our oldest has the full final week back at school. She's a smart kid. She's just so incredibly lazy. I do not fault anyone except her and ourselves. We let it slide thinking she was doing what she should for far too long. 

I bought Circle from Disney and will see if it can work with our Apple router to block all the sites that distract her. It arrives Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our school has only had 1 kid so far with Covid. Now either the school is doing a fantastic job of providing a safe place where Covid protocols are being strictly followed, there aren't a lot of kids onsite so it's not that big a deal, or kids just aren't spreading it outside of high schoolers. We'll see how it goes but my wife was definitely not wanting to send her back. We almost feel she's left us no choice. My youngest is going back as well. She asked to go back. She's doing fantastic at virtual learning but she misses the interactions with her friends and teacher. 

Edited by mdmost

On 10/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, utee94 said:

Yup my kids have been doing club soccer since August and it made a world of difference in their behavior and outlook, compared to the previous 5 months since March.  This virus isn't transmitting between children out in the open air, that's just not a thing, and there's many months of evidence to support that at this point.

FWIW, my daughter's soccer team was taken down by Covid.  First the coach, then multiple players.  All games and practices were outside.  Coach always wore a mask.  Shit happens.  I agree that it's less likely to transmit between kids outside in the open air, but to say it isn't at all is shortsighted.  

14 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

FWIW, my daughter's soccer team was taken down by Covid.  First the coach, then multiple players.  All games and practices were outside.  Coach always wore a mask.  Shit happens.  I agree that it's less likely to transmit between kids outside in the open air, but to say it isn't at all is shortsighted.  

What age*?

*not asking for typical surly perv reasons. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Well that is concerning. 

Any secondary transmission from any of the kids to adults?

Not that I've heard of.  Just the transmission from the coach to the players (and presumably player to player).  My daughter was negative as were we, so we may be out of the loop.  Not close with the other parents.  They're supposed to come back and have a playoff in a couple of weeks - I think we'll probably sit it out.

3 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Did the players test after the coach was positive?  I'm assuming the coach had symptoms but did any of the kids?

The coach did not have symptoms until after a Saturday game.  Went and got tested when he started feeling ill the next day and got tested.  I assume everyone went and got tested, although you never know.  They were going to push forward with an assistant coach but then four players came up positive. So season is likely over.  I haven't heard of the kids having symptoms. Only that some tested positive and some negative.  We've been doing the quarantine boogaloo even though tests came back negative for us, just to be sure.

The Circle device from Disney just came in. I set it up with my Apple router and tried to check Discord and Tik Tok on my laptop...NOTHING! They done blocked it! 

It at least works on that and my iPhone. It seems exactly like what I thought it would be. All of this stuff I probably could have done myself if I was technically proficient. But I'm not and I paid for convenience. We're still going to send her back but it's good to know we can focus her for the next 2 weeks so she'll get her work done and get caught up.

2 hours ago, EE2B said:

With the Circle device, can you set times that specific sites are available for each device?

Yeah, it has specific sites in there like Instagram, Netflix, Disney+, Facebook, and Snapchat. Then you can add the url of other sites you want to disable or allow access to. You toggle between Allowed and Not Allowed. There are some issues since it's a pass through device. It was affected Google Classroom but I think I just need to mess with it a bit more. It absolutely shut down Discord. The problem might be the DNS addresses for these sites could be similar. I would imagine it works like OpenDNS does where it just blocks the direction to that site's DNS. It is susceptible to VPNs. It has a nice feature that alerts you if a new device has joined your wifi. When my youngest used her tablet after work, it popped up and I was able to add it to our trusted devices. I can also mess with its access now. It also has time limits and day limits which is what I was doing with server access through our Apple router. It was a pain as I had to put in MAP settings for devices and all sorts of annoying shit to figure out how to block them. I do wish I had gotten this device during the summer. It would've helped a lot earlier. 

My wife is ready to send our daughter back next Monday, a full week before the normal time to go back. I'll have to reach out to the principal to see about that. Next Tuesday is a holiday so I'm not sure a start/stop is preferred especially since we need her to keep trying to get caught up. 

Edited by mdmost

Cool.  In the middle of juggling my F2F students, 1/2 the students from another class whose teacher is quarantined, my distance students, my special ed student who continues to exit the Google Meet with his SPED teacher, the two live students I have that I have on my Chromebook feed, and a whiny parent, I got a walk through observation today.  It went fine but F's sake.  It's a weird Catch-22 in that I feel like I'm not teaching as much, but I'm completely spent at the end of the day.  Not a complaint; just an observation.  

Our grade level is currently missing 2 of 4 teachers and 60% of the students.  (One or two confirmed positive tests with the rest sent home as a precaution.)

Edit: Sorry.  Didn't mean to come across as whiny.  I'll do this every day of the year because I love teaching and completely understand how lucky I am to have current job stability.  Also, I'm 3 glasses of bourbon in.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Two covid cases at my 7 year olds elementary school this week. One was a student in the class she would have been in if she was on campus. Since they don’t require masks in the classroom, the entire class has now been quarantined for two weeks. It will be interesting to see if any more kids from the class turn up positive.

53 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cool.  In the middle of juggling my F2F students, 1/2 the students from another class whose teacher is quarantined, my distance students, my special ed student who continues to exit the Google Meet with his SPED teacher, the two live students I have that I have on my Chromebook feed, and a whiny parent, I got a walk through observation today.  It went fine but F's sake.  It's a weird Catch-22 in that I feel like I'm not teaching as much, but I'm completely spent at the end of the day.  Not a complaint; just an observation.  

Our grade level is currently missing 2 of 4 teachers and 60% of the students.  (One or two confirmed positive tests with the rest sent home as a precaution.)

Edit: Sorry.  Didn't mean to come across as whiny.  I'll do this every day of the year because I love teaching and completely understand how lucky I am to have current job stability.  Also, I'm 3 glasses of bourbon in.

No worries, friend. This is a hard time for everyone. I couldn't imagine trying to teach effectively right now.

I go back and forth on whether it was my fault for letting my oldest have too much internet access this summer, thus causing a situation where it was hard to go back to not having it. She definitely loves that endorphin rush of her "friends" giving her constant feedback. It's a lot easier than paying attention to something that's either "boring" or challenging. I figured back in the summer, she was stuck inside all day. It's hot, you can't really go anywhere outside of walks in the early morning or evening. She couldn't really have friends over or go to their houses. We couldn't go to water parks or pools. The internet was what kept her sane at a time when I heard stories of other kids who harmed themselves because of the extreme isolation. It's tough. I also blame myself for thinking she would be fine. The school made it infinitely easy to keep up with their grades. I just didn't do that effectively. It's also tough because one kid had no issues at all with virtual learning. In fact, she's excelling at it. The upside is I mean if she fails a portion of this grading period, it's not like she can't come back from it. The teachers are bending over backwards to help her. She just has to take the lifeline they're giving her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It's a weird Catch-22 in that I feel like I'm not teaching as much, but I'm completely spent at the end of the day.  Not a complaint; just an observation.  

I'm right there with you. I've put more hours into teaching this year than ever before and I've gotten less out of it.

And congrats on not raising your middle finger during the entire walkthrough, because I would have been really tempted to do that.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm right there with you. I've put more hours into teaching this year than ever before and I've gotten less out of it.

And congrats on not raising your middle finger during the entire walkthrough, because I would have been really tempted to do that.

Right?  The unspoken rule was broken.  That is, when you are covering for another class and tending to your own, principals stay out of your room.

Emailed with the principal and we're going to send the oldest back earlier than the November 9th restart. She's going back after the Election Day holiday next week. She'll start back on Wednesday. We had a conference with her junior high teachers and they indicated Cycle 2 instruction would start next week. We don't want her falling further behind so we're going to have her work this weekend, Monday, and the Election Day holiday to get fully caught up. Then she can start fresh on Wednesday. We're going to take the advice of the school and just start fresh. We have our internet access more locked down to keep her on track when she's home and needs to do her homework. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, EE2B said:

Two covid cases at my 7 year olds elementary school this week. One was a student in the class she would have been in if she was on campus. Since they don’t require masks in the classroom, the entire class has now been quarantined for two weeks. It will be interesting to see if any more kids from the class turn up positive.

This is the first I’ve heard of any place older than a preschool not requiring masks. Wtf. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Emailed with the principal and we're going to send the oldest back earlier than the November 9th restart. She's going back after the Election Day holiday next week. She'll start back on Wednesday. We had a conference with her junior high teachers and they indicated Cycle 2 instruction would start next week. We don't want her falling further behind so we're going to have her work this weekend, Monday, and the Election Day holiday to get fully caught up. Then she can start fresh on Wednesday. We're going to take the advice of the school and just start fresh. We have our internet access more locked down to keep her on track when she's home and needs to do her homework. 

Good luck. In addition to all the benefits your kids will experience, you and your wife will feel a massive weight lifted off your shoulders. 

This is the first I’ve heard of any place older than a preschool not requiring masks. Wtf. 

Yup, it’s been this way since the beginning. As of Friday they are up to four classes quarantined with 3-4 positive student cases all at the elementary. What a shit show.

Kids had their first day back on campus yesterday. Oldest had a pretty good time. She said it helped her focus a lot more and she told us a lot about her day over dinner which she really wasn't doing when it was virtual learning. So far so good. Younger one said it was just okay. She was mostly happy to get to play on the new school playground and see her friends. We believe the 7th grade math teacher has covid or has been told to quarantine as she's still doing Zoom calls from home. The school's Covid dashboard shows 1 staff and 2 students that had it which before only showed the 2 students. 

Edited by mdmost

My 11yo son went back to in-person school on 10/13, and after 2.5 weeks of smooth sailing, his entire in-person 5th grade class of 20 people is back at home now.  One positive case in their classroom who tested positive last Tuesday (10/27), and the school was notified on the next day.  So the entire class (and teacher) are all quarantined and back at home online now, for 14 days starting last Wednesday.

The school wasn't allowed to tell me who it was, but my son and all the kids knew, since there was one student who'd been out of class since the prior Friday.

So that Friday was his last possible direct contact, he came home on the following Wednesday, and I had him tested on Thursday (6 days after last potential contact).  It came up negative, and he's had zero symptoms.  Nobody else in the class including the teacher have had any symptoms, either, though I don't know if anyone else has been tested.

Anyway, one more week at home, then they'll all be back in school with their 14 days behind them.

And that's going to be our reality for a while.

And the thing that makes me ragey, is you see parents who send their kids to school with masks, etc., and the kids follow all the rules, then they get out of school, masks come off, parents take them to the neighborhood park (school playground closed after school), and they play with a bunch of other kids, most of whom aren't wearing masks.  At least in my neighborhood.

These parents are putting a lot of classes at risk of having to come home for a couple of weeks, and they don't seem to give a shit - maybe they think all parents work from home and have all the free time in the world to watch their kids sit on Zoom lessons.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the thing that makes me ragey, is you see parents who send their kids to school with masks, etc., and the kids follow all the rules, then they get out of school, masks come off, parents take them to the neighborhood park (school playground closed after school), and they play with a bunch of other kids, most of whom aren't wearing masks.  At least in my neighborhood.

These parents are putting a lot of classes at risk of having to come home for a couple of weeks, and they don't seem to give a shit - maybe they think all parents work from home and have all the free time in the world to watch their kids sit on Zoom lessons.

Yeah, I get it.

I honestly don't worry too much about the outside playtime, even without masks.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not sending my kids to play on the COVID-infested equipment with a bunch of randos, but my kids are practicing/playing soccer multiple times per week, either with their teams of about 15 kids each, or against another team of 15 potential strangers.  All without masks.  This has been ongoing for several months now with no issues, so the outdoor spread among children isn't something I'm overly concerned about.

BUT

Some of those parents are also taking those kids to indoor gatherings at Aunt Edna's, or siting at a table of ten at a back room tbale inside a restaurant right alongside mom and dad's besties for an hour and a half, and that's certainly where a lot of the spread from adults-to-kids is occurring.  And it DEFINITELY impacts so many more people, when you send a kid into a school like that.