Jump to content
Patrick Bateman

San Antonio Spurs 2020 Offseason Thread -- What is this Lottery Shit?

Recommended Posts

Man, we just stopped playing in August, we must have won the Championship again, right?  Wait, we didn't even make the playoffs?

We can get another one of this guy, right?

image.png.c642fb505418a1ccbffd59c8a65cbc77.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol stole the pick. Butthurt Cletus fans are going to take that shit to their grave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Is there a Duncan-level prospect in the next draft? My short-term memory fails me.

I'd say no. Zion Williamson was supposed to be closer to that last year. Not sure about next year but my guess is we'll be close to the same spot for 2021. We could be a much better team and have a worse record. Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Rockets, Mavericks, Jazz, Thunder, Warriors are likely playoff teams without injuries taken into consideration. Suns, Grizzlies, and Pelicans are young and way more talented than us. Portland will be in contention for playoffs as well.

Anyway, here's the consensus top 5 this year:

Anthony Edwards 6'5" 225 SG- likely the #1 pick, great athlete, finishes at the rim efficiently, good passer. In his 1 year at Georgia, 19 ppg, shot 40% overall and 29% from 3, most blame that on him being the only player worth a shit but I feel like the top pick should be able to show more. Current NBA player comparison is a bigger Victor Oladipo that's not as locked in on defense. Even if we got the #1 pick, this guy doesn't seem like our Tim Duncan level savior.

Lamelo Ball- Not even gonna bother reading scouting reports. 0% chance we draft him and keep him, the anti Tim Duncan. Fuck him and fuck his dumbshit fucking dad.

James Wiseman 7'1" 235 C Memphis- can't tell much from stats here because he only played 3 games and was suspended for the rest of the season. Fran Fraschilla compared him to David Robinson physically, so that seems good. Good rebounder and one of the top defensive prospects in this draft class, his offensive game doesn't seem like a great fit for the modern nba but if you can put scorers around him he'd be effective. I see him as the type of player that has to go to a good situation, otherwise he'll disappear if he gets drafted somewhere like Cleveland. Hassan Whiteside/ Deandre Jordan type player

Onyeka Okongwu 6'9" 235 PF/C USC- best big in college basketball this year. Elite Defensive player and rebounder, not much offensive game outside the paint. Can guard 1-5 better than Wiseman but overall a similar player. NBA comparison is Montrez Harrell

Obi Toppin 6'9" 220 PF Dayton- 20 ppg on 63% shooting, 39% 3pt, one of the top offensive prospects and ready to contribute as a scorer. Explosive finisher at the rim and can step out and shoot, looks good in the pick and roll. He played in the A10 and wasn't a great rebounder so there's concerns there and is considered to be limited defensively. NBA comparisons include Tobias Harris, Kenyon Martin, Shawn Marion

Deni Avdija 6'9" 210 SF/PF Isreal- Top international prospect, good shooter, scorer, and solid playmaking because he's such a good passer with ballhandling skills to match. Offensively can play 2-4 which is enticing. Like alot of prospects that play in the Euro League he didn't get a ton of minutes per game but he was the league MVP. Active defensive player but not an elite athlete in the NBA. 6'9" wingspan which is below average for his height in the league. NBA player comparison is Hedo Turkyglue

So really that's a top 6, but I don't count Ball because he's not a realistic prospect for us. I'd be really happy with any of these other players, but I don't know if any of them will be superstar level players like we need to compete 2 to 5 years down the road. Based on our current roster, I'd guess we go PF or C but there's always a possibility that they take the best player available. SF/PF hybrid wouldn't surprise me either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

e30851b935b607b654d1e180853eae50.jpg

First try.

 

WOW...  since TEXAS basketball has sucked so much recently, I haven't watched much college basketball. 

Except for LaMelo and Obi, I haven't heard of any of these players in your top 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Is there a Duncan-level prospect in the next draft? My short-term memory fails me.

There's only a Duncan level prospect every 7 or so years. Since Timmy was drafted there have been 5 or less that have immediately panned out to a similar level the way Duncan did - LeBron, Durant, AD, Luka off the top of my head.

5 hours ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

I'd say no. Zion Williamson was supposed to be closer to that last year. Not sure about next year but my guess is we'll be close to the same spot for 2021. We could be a much better team and have a worse record. Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Rockets, Mavericks, Jazz, Thunder, Warriors are likely playoff teams without injuries taken into consideration. Suns, Grizzlies, and Pelicans are young and way more talented than us. Portland will be in contention for playoffs as well.

Anyway, here's the consensus top 5 this year:

Anthony Edwards 6'5" 225 SG- likely the #1 pick, great athlete, finishes at the rim efficiently, good passer. In his 1 year at Georgia, 19 ppg, shot 40% overall and 29% from 3, most blame that on him being the only player worth a shit but I feel like the top pick should be able to show more. Current NBA player comparison is a bigger Victor Oladipo that's not as locked in on defense. Even if we got the #1 pick, this guy doesn't seem like our Tim Duncan level savior.

Lamelo Ball- Not even gonna bother reading scouting reports. 0% chance we draft him and keep him, the anti Tim Duncan. Fuck him and fuck his dumbshit fucking dad.

James Wiseman 7'1" 235 C Memphis- can't tell much from stats here because he only played 3 games and was suspended for the rest of the season. Fran Fraschilla compared him to David Robinson physically, so that seems good. Good rebounder and one of the top defensive prospects in this draft class, his offensive game doesn't seem like a great fit for the modern nba but if you can put scorers around him he'd be effective. I see him as the type of player that has to go to a good situation, otherwise he'll disappear if he gets drafted somewhere like Cleveland. Hassan Whiteside/ Deandre Jordan type player

Onyeka Okongwu 6'9" 235 PF/C USC- best big in college basketball this year. Elite Defensive player and rebounder, not much offensive game outside the paint. Can guard 1-5 better than Wiseman but overall a similar player. NBA comparison is Montrez Harrell

Obi Toppin 6'9" 220 PF Dayton- 20 ppg on 63% shooting, 39% 3pt, one of the top offensive prospects and ready to contribute as a scorer. Explosive finisher at the rim and can step out and shoot, looks good in the pick and roll. He played in the A10 and wasn't a great rebounder so there's concerns there and is considered to be limited defensively. NBA comparisons include Tobias Harris, Kenyon Martin, Shawn Marion

Deni Avdija 6'9" 210 SF/PF Isreal- Top international prospect, good shooter, scorer, and solid playmaking because he's such a good passer with ballhandling skills to match. Offensively can play 2-4 which is enticing. Like alot of prospects that play in the Euro League he didn't get a ton of minutes per game but he was the league MVP. Active defensive player but not an elite athlete in the NBA. 6'9" wingspan which is below average for his height in the league. NBA player comparison is Hedo Turkyglue

So really that's a top 6, but I don't count Ball because he's not a realistic prospect for us. I'd be really happy with any of these other players, but I don't know if any of them will be superstar level players like we need to compete 2 to 5 years down the road. Based on our current roster, I'd guess we go PF or C but there's always a possibility that they take the best player available. SF/PF hybrid wouldn't surprise me either.

I would love Toppin. I think he could turn into a beast for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this good information in this thread and this is what will be my takeaway: Hedo Turkyglue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toppin is just one of those dudes that you know is going to ball out in the league.  He might not have the best measurables or whatever the scouts care about to put someone like him above others in the draft, but he's just a player.  Us sliding into the top 5 and stealing him would be the most Spurs move possible.  It's going to be weird seeing a rep from the Spurs up on that stage, but here's to the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Timmy going to be our representative for the lottery? He may get too excited and knock over a plant if we luck into one of the top picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Is Timmy going to be our representative for the lottery? He may get too excited and knock over a plant if we luck into one of the top picks.

Holt Jr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready for the impossible tonight. Want Deni. We got a 1 and 2 to roll with for the next 3-4 years at least. Deni can play 3, and "active on defense" sounds lightyears better than what DeMar gives us at the 2/3, so I'm ready. My body is ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Hope it's not another guard

What? A rangy 6'6" combo guard project from a small school is just what we need in this draft. He can spend some time in Austin working on his ball skills before coming off the bench to score 4 ppg on 39% FG in 16 mpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What? A rangy 6'6" combo guard project from a small school is just what we need in this draft. He can spend some time in Austin working on his ball skills before coming off the bench to score 4 ppg on 39% FG in 16 mpg.

Fuck a small college I was thinking of a kid from a country that I can't spell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Fuck a small college I was thinking of a kid from a country that I can't spell 

I don't know. That sounds more promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kermit said:

Seen some mocks that have us taking Patrick Williams. 
 

 

Meh.  If he really develops range than he could be a stretch 4 but he's going to have problems finishing in the league.  He's a good prospect but not sure he has a high ceiling.

I saw CBS had us mocked with Okongwu from USC.  I'd be pretty surprised if he was there at 11, but he'd be intriguing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Meh.  If he really develops range than he could be a stretch 4 but he's going to have problems finishing in the league.  He's a good prospect but not sure he has a high ceiling.

I saw CBS had us mocked with Okongwu from USC.  I'd be pretty surprised if he was there at 11, but he'd be intriguing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we're picking 11th, not as high as i hoped but we've seen what we can do with that pick before. At least this time we didn't have to trade George Hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I haven't done much digging on the prospects yet, but I'm a bit intrigued with Precious Achiuwa. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to see more film on him but my first impressions are good. Aside from the fact that my man's name is Precious, which moves him way up my board dramatically,  I really, really like him. Good size with 7'2" foot wingspan, athletic, energizer, willing rebounder and shot blocker, can run the floor and has pretty good handle for his size and his shooting stroke looks good to me even though he shot a shitty percentage. He gets himself into trouble with some bad decision making and he takes a lot of bad shots. But if he were in a system like the Spurs, he wouldn't find himself in those types of predicaments -- he would know his spots and wouldn't have to ad lib. He kind of gets lost on defense sometimes but he seems like a willing help defender and like he could switch onto perimeter guys and still stay in front of them. If he has any type of character and work ethic, then he would be a good fit for the Spurs developmental system. They really could use an athletic four to get up and down the court with Murray, Walker, White and Keldon Johnson. I saw the Jerami Grant comparisons, but I see him more as a Montrezl Harrell type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it there isn't a single guy in the roster that isn't safe from a trade.  Spurs should have their ears open to any all all deals.  They probably won't though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another two shmoo's take on who the Spurs are picking...

 

11. San Antonio Spurs - Aaron Nesmith, F, Vanderbilt

If you're looking for shooting, look no further than Nesmith. While the Vanderbilt product was limited to just 14 games last season, a 52.2% clip on 8.2 triples per contest is no aberration. Nesmith's 23 points per game was fifth in the nation at the time of his season-ending foot injury.

The 6-foot-6 wing has some troubles creating his own shot, though he thrived off the ball as a shooter coming off screens. San Antonio needs another floor spacer, especially with DeMar DeRozan likely picking up his $27.7-million player option for 2020-21.

The Spurs attempted the highest percentage of mid-range shots last season and finished 28th in 3-point shot frequency.

 

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1993686/2020-nba-mock-draft-projecting-the-lottery-picks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...