2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

this was probably the second best result - a blowout win for Reed. best result would have been Reed falling apart and losing.  but that didn't happen.

he was the best golfer over 4 days.  he deserved to win.  he also should have received a 2 stroke penalty for what happened yesterday.  even if that would have happened, he still wins by 3.

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this was probably the second best result - a blowout win for Reed. best result would have been Reed falling apart and losing.  but that didn't happen.

he was the best golfer over 4 days.  he deserved to win.  he also should have received a 2 stroke penalty for what happened yesterday.  even if that would have happened, he still wins by 3.

Yeah that’s not really how things work. Playing without that cushion changes the golf tournament 

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what was the comment about Mcilroy doing the the same thing as Reed on the 18th yesterday.  Was there video of what Rory did?

video is here: Tour also OK with Rory McIlroy's embedded-ball drop at Farmers | Golf Channel

The shot is relatively similar, but their behavior is quite different.

For McIlroy, the shot takes a bounce first then disappears into thick rough.  McIlroy comes upon it, checks it out, DOESN'T pick it up.  Shouts out to his playing partners 'hey I think my ball is embedded.'  To which they don't even bother to examine, confirm it's a one club drop, and go about their business.  THEN McIlroy picks up the ball.

Contrast with Reed, two damning factors.  Almost his first utterance is 'did anyone see it bounce?' which is an odd question, unless, of course, he saw it bounce and knows the odds of it being embedded after a bounce are low.  And of course, he picks it up before calling anyone over. 

If he behaved like McIlroy, good chance he would have been treated like McIlroy "of course it's embedded dude, look at these conditions."  Instead, he went about it all sneaky, and with his history, he is accused of cheating.  Now, why didn't he do that?  And why doesn't he see that it's not "...SAME THING."

6 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

video is here: Tour also OK with Rory McIlroy's embedded-ball drop at Farmers | Golf Channel

For McIlroy, the shot takes a bounce first then disappears into thick rough.  McIlroy comes upon it, checks it out, DOESN'T pick it up.  Shouts out to his playing partners 'hey I think my ball is embedded.'  To which they don't even bother to examine, confirm it's a one club drop, and go about their business.  THEN McIlroy picks up the ball.

Contrast with Reed, two damning factors.  Almost his first utterance is 'did anyone see it bounce?' which is an odd question, unless, of course, he saw it bounce and knows the odds of it being embedded after a bounce are low.  And of course, he picks it up before calling anyone over. 

If he behaved like McIlroy, good chance he would have been treated like McIlroy "of course it's embedded dude, look at these conditions."  Instead, he went about it all sneaky, and with his history, he is accused of cheating.  Now, why didn't he do that?  And why doesn't he see that it's not "...SAME THING."

The other thing.... no one ever asks him the right question. "Was your ball embedded? "  

He followed the new rule. He did it in a sneaky and shitty way. He can claim he perfectly followed the rules. The tour can claim he perfectly followed the rule. But he never said his ball was embedded. Never was asked the question. Just that he followed the rule. 

Unlike rory who unequivocally states on his life his ball was in its pitch mark. But guess what... he's not a cheater with a history of cheating married to a cunt with a burner twatter account that justifies his cheating. No one questions rory. Everyone questions fatty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

hmmm.  I didn't see the full video of Reed asking the other players.  Its hard to tell on the Rory video if the ball bounced

to be honest, I think the other players have a responsibility to look at it(it appears in neither case did they look at it) or you have an official  look at it.

Reed is a bitch but I don't see much difference if Reed asked other players and they said OK. 

The playing partners have a responsibility to protect the field.

I think the rule is pretty much a shit rule.  If a ball bounces it can't be embedded, especially in rough like that.  its apparent that players were using that rule to try to improve lies and clean balls.  don't like shit lies in rough, don't hit it in the rough.

11 minutes ago, pops said:

The other thing.... no one ever asks him the right question. "Was your ball embedded? "  

He followed the new rule. He did it in a sneaky and shitty way. He can claim he perfectly followed the rules. The tour can claim he perfectly followed the rule. But he never said his ball was embedded. Never was asked the question. Just that he followed the rule. 

Unlike rory who unequivocally states on his life his ball was in its pitch mark. But guess what... he's not a cheater with a history of cheating married to a cunt with a burner twatter account that justifies his cheating. No one questions rory. Everyone questions fatty. 

the problem I have is the other players not looking at the lie.  McIlroy did seem like he gave them a chance and they didn't care to look.  Not sure if Reed did.

This looks to be a PGA tour guy "don't ask don't tell" policy agreement between the players.

Reed's ball bounced forward a long way.  Rory's possibly bounced straight up and back into its pitch mark but its hard to tell.

Reed is a cheater but if the PGA says he followed the rule then he followed the rule.  

Edited by dcar00

20 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Are golf tournaments won on the front nine? Those two strokes bring quite a few players back into the fold coming down the last 3 or 4 holes. 

i'm sure Reed still would have won even with a penalty.  you couldn't convince me otherwise.  that guy feeds off of adversity (and Sizzler buffets).  i can't stand the guy, but he wouldn't have been rattled by the distractions/noise/hate.  he's dealt with it his whole career.  he thrives off that shit.  i'm not sure who would have caught him either.  it's not like anybody else was making a charge.  they were all struggling.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

i'm sure Reed still would have won even with a penalty.  you couldn't convince me otherwise.  that guy feeds off of adversity (and Sizzler buffets).  i can't stand the guy, but he wouldn't have been rattled by the distractions/noise/hate.  he's dealt with it his whole career.  he thrives off that shit.  i'm not sure who would have caught him either.  it's not like anybody else was making a charge.  they were all struggling.

He wins no question. His wedge play was off the charts. But that begs the question.... Why cheat? And even if he followed the rules as written, he cheated. Flawed human that is really good at golf. 

11 hours ago, pops said:

He wins no question. His wedge play was off the charts. But that begs the question.... Why cheat? And even if he followed the rules as written, he cheated. Flawed human that is really good at golf. 

because cheaters gonna cheat
golf needs a good villain, and Patty Reed has taken that charge and ridden it to the peak. I hope he keeps it up because it is good for the game to have someone to root against

So instead of leaving the ball where it was for the rules official to take a look. He picks it up and then pokes his finger into the ground and asks the official to check after he made a fucking divot with his finger. 

Fuck him. I hope he loses the next Ryder cup for the US by getting caught cheating in his Sunday match. 

Jesus. Am I the only one that thinks the fucking Ryder Cup is more important than Patrick Reed? My favorite player is a Euro. There are quite a few Americans that I'm not fond of - Reed included. I would never entertain such blasphemy as cheering for the Euros to win the Ryder. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus. Am I the only one that thinks the fucking Ryder Cup is more important than Patrick Reed? My favorite player is a Euro. There are quite a few Americans that I'm not fond of - Reed included. I would never entertain such blasphemy as cheering for the Euros to win the Ryder. 

I want the US to win. I want Reed to lose every time he tees it up. Ryder cup, presidents cup, the John deere...wherever.  Those things don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, pops said:

Those things don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

Right but they can be and multiple people in this thread have said that they'd want Reed to lose if he was playing in a deciding match. At that point you are effectively cheering for the Euros. Which is fine - but I'd never do that. 

3 hours ago, heso said:

So instead of leaving the ball where it was for the rules official to take a look. He picks it up and then pokes his finger into the ground and asks the official to check after he made a fucking divot with his finger. 

Fuck him. I hope he loses the next Ryder cup for the US by getting caught cheating in his Sunday match. 

I don't think Rory asked the official to look before he picked his ball up but maybe there is video of it.  Look Reed has a history but the PGA tour said they didn't have to have an official or a player look at it. I was pissed at what he did with his hand and the palming of the ball but the way the rule is neither of those things mattered.  Rory palmed the ball as well because once you deem it embedded and no one challenges it, you can clean the ball and drop it.   

Its a dumb fucking rule instituted by the dumbass PGA that both Rory, Reed, and probably other players we never saw, took advantage of.  IMO unless you are in the fairway or specifically marked areas you play the ball as it lies.  DONT HIT THE BALL IN THE ROUGH!

as for the other discussion, look if Reed needs to win his match for the US to win the cup and he does it without cheating then I want him to win.  Fuck the Euros.

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think Rory asked the official to look before he picked his ball up but maybe there is video of it.  Look Reed has a history but the PGA tour said they didn't have to have an official or a player look at it. I was pissed at what he did with his hand and the palming of the ball but the way the rule is neither of those things mattered.  Rory palmed the ball as well because once you deem it embedded and no one challenges it, you can clean the ball and drop it.   

Its a dumb fucking rule instituted by the dumbass PGA that both Rory, Reed, and probably other players we never saw, took advantage of.  IMO unless you are in the fairway or specifically marked areas you play the ball as it lies.  DONT HIT THE BALL IN THE ROUGH!

as for the other discussion, look if Reed needs to win his match for the US to win the cup and he does it without cheating then I want him to win.  Fuck the Euros.

It isn't a pga rule. It's usga and R&A. 

If fatty had just said his ball was embedded, marked, checked and said yep it's embedded and took a drop there wouldn't be near the outrage. But he first asked if it bounced then played with the ball then lifted it, palmed it, threw it aside and fingered the hole for 30 seconds before he called the official over. 

If he wasn't sure then what you do in a tourney is put the ball back and call over a playing partner or rules official and have them take a look. Not have them look at a spot in the rough where your ball used to be. 

He followed the rule but did it in a way that it was impossible for anyone to determine whether or not it was ever embedded. 

No one questions Rory because he's the guy that got relief a couple years ago and said nope, my lie wasn't that good and put it farther down into the rough. He's beyond reproach. Fatty has earned his rep time and time again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, pops said:

It isn't a pga rule. It's usga and R&A. 

If fatty had just said his ball was embedded, marked, checked and said yep it's embedded and took a drop there wouldn't be near the outrage. But he first asked if it bounced then played with the ball then lifted it, palmed it, threw it aside and fingered the hole for 30 seconds before he called the official over. 

If he wasn't sure then what you do in a tourney is put the ball back and call over a playing partner or rules official and have them take a look. Not have them look at a spot in the rough where your ball used to be. 

He followed the rule but did it in a way that it was impossible for anyone to determine whether or not it was ever embedded. 

No one questions Rory because he's the guy that got relief a couple years ago and said nope, my lie wasn't that good and put it farther down into the rough. He's beyond reproach. Fatty has earned his rep time and time again. 

did he ever declare the ball was embedded before he picked the ball up?  and he didn't mark it before moving the ball?  are either of these required?  Maybe there is a video of the entire situation from the time he reached the ball, I didn't see it.

the rule doesn't require anyone to look at it.

by rule you can actually substitute a different ball so it doesn't matter what happens to the ball after you declare it "embedded"

pga, usga, R&A who cares...its a stupid rule.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

did he ever declare the ball was embedded before he picked the ball up?  and he didn't mark it before moving the ball?  are either of these required?  Maybe there is a video of the entire situation from the time he reached the ball, I didn't see it.

the rule doesn't require anyone to look at it.

by rule you can actually substitute a different ball so it doesn't matter what happens to the ball after you declare it "embedded"

pga, usga, R&A who cares...its a stupid rule.

He said he was checking it out. Pretty sure he marked it with a tee then did all his fucking around.

New rule doesn't require anyone to look at it, but protocol if you can't tell if it is embedded is to replace it and get a second set of eyes on it. 

Rule is dumb,  I agree. Should have to have someone look at it but it was a victim of the speed up play stuff. 

He followed the letter of the law. Didn't come close to following the spirit. 

Fuck Reed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

We should have a contest - Jordan make or miss the cut this week?
Bonus question, if he makes does he top 25? 10?

I'll take the easy answer - miss 

But by how many shots will he miss the cut?  I'd guess 3 or more, myself.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, pops said:

He said he was checking it out. Pretty sure he marked it with a tee then did all his fucking around.

New rule doesn't require anyone to look at it, but protocol if you can't tell if it is embedded is to replace it and get a second set of eyes on it. 

Rule is dumb,  I agree. Should have to have someone look at it but it was a victim of the speed up play stuff. 

He followed the letter of the law. Didn't come close to following the spirit. 

Fuck Reed. 

sure fuck reed but what this boils down to if he just said "its embedded"(still not sure if he did or not) like Rory did, the stupid ass rule allows any player to do whatever they want with the ball(including replacing it) after that.  IIRC, Rory first said, Hey guys, I think my ball is embedded, then he said yeah its embedded.

Its a dumb rule and if it is happening so much that play is slowed to have another player(not an official, which takes longer) look at it then they aren't doing it right.

the rub of the green should apply here, in the 3rd cut. I wonder how many times that rule was applied that week?

yes Reed has cheated but saying he did anything materially different, in this case, than what Rory did isn't true and the PGA even had to put it in writing.