For the golfers and drinkers here in north Houston

lonestarsooner

Posted with Immamac’s blessing. 

As of yesterday, i’m the new owner of Swing Zone Golf, https;//swingzonegolf.com. We are an indoor golf simulator/sports bar. We have 6 simulator bays, a full bar and food. We’ll be upgrading the food menu shortly as well. The simulators have almost 200 courses from around the world that you can play a full 18 on as well as a driving/chipping range. Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Bethoage Black, St Andrews and Harbour Town are just a few of the courses available on the simulators. The full list is on our website. You are welcome to bring your own clubs or, if you’re more of a drinker than golfer, we have ones available to use. We’re located in Tomball, right at the border of Tomball, Spring and The Woodlands. 

After reading about all the fun @Penelope has had opening her bar, how could I not jump at the chance? 🤣 Would love to have any and all Shaggy-ites in the area come by and check us out. Send me a message and let me know you’re coming and I’ll buy you a drink. We have 6 big screens tuned into all the big sports. We’ll have all the Astros, Texans, Cowboys, Sooners and Longhorns games on. Or just ask us to put your team on. I’d love to become an unofficial watch place for a couple of different university alumni groups in the area like the Texas Exes. 

Look forward to meeting anyone that comes by. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

This sounds exactly like LOFT18. Does LOFT18 know that you stole their idea?

So @Uncle Boobs from the it’s a small world category, this place actually opened before Loft 18 down in the Heights. It’s been open for almost 4 years. My wife works for a utility company here in Houston. She was telling her boss about us buying this place on a call with him this morning. The owner of Loft 18 is actually the cousin of her boss. Small small world. 

So [mention=2870]Uncle Boobs[/mention] from the it’s a small world category, this place actually opened before Loft 18 down in the Heights. It’s been open for almost 4 years. My wife works for a utility company here in Houston. She was telling her boss about us buying this place on a call with him this morning. The owner of Loft 18 is actually the cousin of her boss. Small small world. 

Oh cool. I was just playing. Wish you the best!

Just now, Uncle Boobs said:

Oh cool. I was just playing. Wish you the best!

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. Knew that. We actually researched Loft 18 before we bought this joint. Exact same concept. Different simulators. I hope we can do as well as they do! The owner being a cousin of her boss is a pretty incredible coincidence, lol. 

6 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

Thanks @Penelope! Really appreciate it. I’ll take any tips and advice you have. 😊

Don’t do it?  Jk.

You’re staff is the most important thing. They will make or break you. Finding good people is incredibly hard. But you’re in Houston and have a bigger pool to pull from than  I do. 
1. Be there physically. You’re presence is important. To keep employees honest and customers really like interacting with the owner. 
2.  Watch you cameras. Religiously!

3.  Track your inventory.  Get the bar app or something similar to track your booze. I weigh my bottles every morning. I make my bartenders do a bottled beer count at the beginning of every shift.  You need a good bar manager. I went  thru 5 managers in 2 Years before I just gave up and did it myself. 
4.  My biggest problem has been kitchen loss.  You need a good kitchen manager to take care of ordering/inventory/staffing. I’ve gone thru 8 cooks in 2-1/2 years. Most cooks/chefs are alcoholics with drug problems. That doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t do the job well. Just something to be aware of.              
5. I would recommend getting a general manager that can oversee the foh, boh, and your golfing stuff.

6. Absolutely be aware of TABC at all times. They will be in several times in the first 6 months. They will also do stings. They are horrible. Make sure your bartenders and servers are not over serving. That’s where they like to get you  

7.  Have a standard set of policies and procedures for employees.  They need to read and sign. That will help protect you when they fuck up. 

Which Point of Sale system are you using?  I’m fairly proficient in all of them.  I run Toast at my bar. I’ve reprogrammed it 7 times, so I’m almost an expert now

If you have any questions, need any advice, or just need to vent, I’ll help as much as I can.  One thing that has helped keep me “sane” is talking/bitching with other bar/restaurant owners 

Good luck! I wish you the best!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Sounds like a cool idea and congrats as a fellow small businessman.  

Two recs for you:

-I know it's not logistically feasible...but figure out a way to simulate the arrival of the "cart girl" on the horizon.  Have some sort of laser generated projection out there and then "boom"...she appears behind you with a push-cart of cold beers.  Instead of waitresses that bring you exactly what you ordered, these cute ladies in volleyball shorts have a little cart they bring up and down the range that simulates an actual 18-hole beverage cart.  Same prices, charted to tab, whatever.  But a little touch from the real course to your course (could be literally just the size of a poolside cart, the idea is the aesthetic).  

-PM your details.  I'm not in Houston.  But if you're willing to set something up to fund scholarships or what-not, I'll have Texas Exes work with you on setting up something that's beneficial for all involved.  

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

So I checked out the menu and the first recommendation I would make is to drop the “boneless” wings and make bone in regular wings.

We are going to completely revamp the menu. Will take a couple of weeks to figure out what to drop and what to add. But that suggestion is highly likely! 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Penelope said:

Don’t do it?  Jk.

You’re staff is the most important thing. They will make or break you. Finding good people is incredibly hard. But you’re in Houston and have a bigger pool to pull from than  I do. 
1. Be there physically. You’re presence is important. To keep employees honest and customers really like interacting with the owner. 
2.  Watch you cameras. Religiously!

3.  Track your inventory.  Get the bar app or something similar to track your booze. I weigh my bottles every morning. I make my bartenders do a bottled beer count at the beginning of every shift.  You need a good bar manager. I went  thru 5 managers in 2 Years before I just gave up and did it myself. 
4.  My biggest problem has been kitchen loss.  You need a good kitchen manager to take care of ordering/inventory/staffing. I’ve gone thru 8 cooks in 2-1/2 years. Most cooks/chefs are alcoholics with drug problems. That doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t do the job well. Just something to be aware of.              
5. I would recommend getting a general manager that can oversee the foh, boh, and your golfing stuff.

6. Absolutely be aware of TABC at all times. They will be in several times in the first 6 months. They will also do stings. They are horrible. Make sure your bartenders and servers are not over serving. That’s where they like to get you  

7.  Have a standard set of policies and procedures for employees.  They need to read and sign. That will help protect you when they fuck up. 

Which Point of Sale system are you using?  I’m fairly proficient in all of them.  I run Toast at my bar. I’ve reprogrammed it 7 times, so I’m almost an expert now

If you have any questions, need any advice, or just need to vent, I’ll help as much as I can.  One thing that has helped keep me “sane” is talking/bitching with other bar/restaurant owners 

Good luck! I wish you the best!

Addendum to # 6: 

make sure the bartenders aren’t drinking.  TABC will get you there too.   It’s legal for a bartender to drink, but it’s best if you don’t allow it because you just can’t fucking trust them.  

also, it’s best if you set strict rules about employees drinking on premise when they’re off duty as well.   Set some rules about it because they’ll be there with friends, and they tend to do it when they’re already loaded because they know their peers will serve them regardless.   

26 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Addendum to # 6: 

make sure the bartenders aren’t drinking.  TABC will get you there too.   It’s legal for a bartender to drink, but it’s best if you don’t allow it because you just can’t fucking trust them.  

also, it’s best if you set strict rules about employees drinking on premise when they’re off duty as well.   Set some rules about it because they’ll be there with friends, and they tend to do it when they’re already loaded because they know their peers will serve them regardless.   

All of this ^^

• 1 month later...

I finally made it in to Swing Zone today and it was a blast.  @lonestarsooner played St Andrews with us.  The driving range simulation may be the best part of it.  It measures your swing just like the pro booths do so you know exactly what you did on every swing.  It even has a camera to record your swing and plays it back for you .  The food and drinks were great too. @UTPhil2006, you absolutely have to have a Shaggy get together there.  Thanks for having us and taking great care of us @lonestarsooner. We will be back very soon.

@Hate was fantastic to finally meet you. Appreciate you bringing your buddy and your wife/his fiancé. Had a blast showing you how the simulators work and getting in 18 with you on the Old Course! I would love to host a Shaggy get together there. We’d take great care of the motley Houston Shaggy mafia. Look forward to seeing you guys again soon! Thanks for coming in!

14 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

@Hate was fantastic to finally meet you. Appreciate you bringing your buddy and your wife/his fiancé. Had a blast showing you how the simulators work and getting in 18 with you on the Old Course! I would love to host a Shaggy get together there. We’d take great care of the motley Houston Shaggy mafia. Look forward to seeing you guys again soon! Thanks for coming in!

Hate’s wife is also his buddy’s fiancé? 

16 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

Finally can do a HH at Perry's in the Woodlands