2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

Huh. Interesting trade. If Wall has anything left he's probably a better fit next to Harden than Russ was. They'll be an interesting team this year. Obviously not a championship contender but they could be a tough out for one of the LA teams. Or Wall could be completely washed. Who knows. I like the gamble though, the Russ/Harden team wasn't getting them anywhere.

I guess Russ gets back to a situation he's more comfortable with, being a high-usage big fish in a small pond. He and Beal can probably get into the playoffs even with the rest of the roster being a mess. They'll be a walkover for Milwaukee, Miami or Boston though.

Respect the hustle from both sides though. Their rosters as constructed weren't working. Can't hurt to shake the dice up a bit and roll 'em again.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

This is definitely one of those stories that I'm just going to choose to believe every single word of and not bother looking for any corroboration.

What a narrative shift over the past few years for Kawhi.

Remember when he was a quiet unassuming guy who was kinda shy and awkard and drove a 10 year old car because he was so humble and down to earth?

He's a bitch.

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Huh. Interesting trade. If Wall has anything left he's probably a better fit next to Harden than Russ was. They'll be an interesting team this year. Obviously not a championship contender but they could be a tough out for one of the LA teams. Or Wall could be completely washed. Who knows. I like the gamble though, the Russ/Harden team wasn't getting them anywhere.

I guess Russ gets back to a situation he's more comfortable with, being a high-usage big fish in a small pond. He and Beal can probably get into the playoffs even with the rest of the roster being a mess. They'll be a walkover for Milwaukee, Miami or Boston though.

Respect the hustle from both sides though. Their rosters as constructed weren't working. Can't hurt to shake the dice up a bit and roll 'em again.

I dont know it seems like a bunch of nothing.   If Wall is healthy he is not as good as Russ but he still needs the ball most of the time to be effective.   

On the other side, it was no secret that Beal wanted them to dump Wall but I'm betting he didnt want the same type of guy back.   Especially when you factor in that Russ played for Brooks in OKC and was basically allowed to do whatever he wanted.  He prolly will be coming in thinking it will be more of the same which was Beal's problem in the first place.

SIDE NOTE:  Its funny that the 3 contracts that we've been told were untradeable (CP3, Russ, and Wall) have now all been traded.   Two of them have been traded twice now.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

I dont know it seems like a bunch of nothing.   If Wall is healthy he is not as good as Russ but he still needs the ball most of the time to be effective.   

On the other side, it was no secret that Beal wanted them to dump Wall but I'm betting he didnt want the same type of guy back.   Especially when you factor in that Russ played for Brooks in OKC and was basically allowed to do whatever he wanted.  He prolly will be coming in thinking it will be more of the same which was Beal's problem in the first place.

SIDE NOTE:  Its funny that the 3 contracts that we've been told were untradeable (CP3, Russ, and Wall) have now all been traded.   Two of them have been traded twice now.

Wall is a lower usage player than Russ. He's still high-usage, but he's closer to Chris Paul's usage numbers than he is Russ. 

I agree that it's probably a bunch of nothing. I don't think Russ is going to keep Beal in Washington. And I don't think it does much for the Rockets. My point was that for both teams it's a "might as well" trade, because both were stuck in the mud prior. 

And at the very least it should get Washington into the playoffs. Maybe that helps keep Beal. Who knows. 

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You could imagine a scenario where you are a Rockets fan where Eric Gordon doesn't suck- Wall is healthy and gives you 90% of what CP3 did, Harden is still a demi-god, Boogie is healthier than people think he's going to be and the guy from Detroit is as good for a year as he was last season for that month long stretch and PJ Tucker doesn't fall off a cliff.  Get a little lucky, have the Lakers and Clips play in Round 2, get a draw something like Utah, Denver, LA and you might have the slightest of punchers chances to come out of the West. That's like 5 or 6 things that have to go right for you, and I'd put the odds long- but if you wanted to hand me a raffle ticket at 35-1 odds or something like that I wouldn't throw the ticket away.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You could imagine a scenario where you are a Rockets fan where Eric Gordon doesn't suck- Wall is healthy and gives you 90% of what CP3 did, Harden is still a demi-god, Boogie is healthier than people think he's going to be and the guy from Detroit is as good for a year as he was last season for that month long stretch and PJ Tucker doesn't fall off a cliff.  Get a little lucky, have the Lakers and Clips play in Round 2, get a draw something like Utah, Denver, LA and you might have the slightest of punchers chances to come out of the West. That's like 5 or 6 things that have to go right for you, and I'd put the odds long- but if you wanted to hand me a raffle ticket at 35-1 odds or something like that I wouldn't throw the ticket away.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

Both players are pretty much the same guy. 2 of the most untradable contracts just swapped places. Neither team improves. But Houston got a 1st rd pick so I would say they won the trade. Westbrook reunites with Brooks. But him and Beal together? Lulz. He's a higher usage player than Wall is and we all know how that worked out.

Edited by Vic Mackey

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

What I described is pretty much the definition of a 35-1 chance of winning it all. I’d probably take Houston as 10th or 11th in a draft order of pick the champ. 
any normal year in the nba there’s probably only somewhere between 4-8 plausible championship contenders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rank order of likelihood to win a title (with no Harden to Brooklyn or Philly type trade)

Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, Heat, Denver, Boston, Dallas, Brooklyn, 76ers, Toronto, Houston, Utah. 

I will give Futureman a reach around while he is fisting himself if the champion of the NBA doesn't come from that group of 12.  I don't think anyone past Brooklyn has any real chance of winning a title, absent a Harden to 76er type trade.  

If you want it in tiers

Tier 1: Lakers (far and away best odds of winning a title)

Tier 2:  Clips, Bucks, Heat (no surprise if the Lakers don't win if it comes from this group)

Tier 3:  Denver, Boston, Dallas, Brooklyn, 76ers (need everything to break really right for them, or one more move for a top 15 type player)

Tier 4:  Toronto, Houston, Utah (Need everything to break really right for them along with carnage to the rest of the league- Lebron and Giannis and Leonard getting hurt, Heat getting no growth out of their young players that played so well last year- no big moves from the Denver- 76er tier, Durant being 80% of what he was before his injury) etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Rank order of likelihood to win a title (with no Harden to Brooklyn or Philly type trade)

Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, Heat, Denver, Boston, Dallas, Brooklyn, 76ers, Toronto, Houston, Utah. 

I will give Futureman a reach around while he is fisting himself if the champion of the NBA doesn't come from that group of 12.  I don't think anyone past Brooklyn has any real chance of winning a title, absent a Harden to 76er type trade.  

If you want it in tiers

Tier 1: Lakers (far and away best odds of winning a title)

Tier 2:  Clips, Bucks, Heat (no surprise if the Lakers don't win if it comes from this group)

Tier 3:  Denver, Boston, Dallas, Brooklyn, 76ers (need everything to break really right for them, or one more move for a top 15 type player)

Tier 4:  Toronto, Houston, Utah (Need everything to break really right for them along with carnage to the rest of the league- Lebron and Giannis and Leonard getting hurt, Heat getting no growth out of their young players that played so well last year- no big moves from the Denver- 76er tier, Durant being 80% of what he was before his injury) etc. 

I think this is pretty close. I'd move Philly down to tier 4 and move Toronto up to 3. I'm not sure about the Heat. They definitely benefitted from the bubble more than most but they're a really talented young squad with a great coach and great internal leadership with a coherent roster. To me the two toughest teams to project are Miami for that reason and Brooklyn for obvious reasons. 

Teams most likely to make a jump would be Brooklyn and Dallas, again for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I think this is pretty close. I'd move Philly down to tier 4 and move Toronto up to 3. I'm not sure about the Heat. They definitely benefitted from the bubble more than most but they're a really talented young squad with a great coach and great internal leadership with a coherent roster. To me the two toughest teams to project are Miami for that reason and Brooklyn for obvious reasons. 

Teams most likely to make a jump would be Brooklyn and Dallas, again for obvious reasons.

Agree completely. If KD is healthy and he doesn't have the overwhelming desire to stab Kyrie in the neck with a salad fork by April or May Brooklyn could probably just organically move up to tier 2.  I need to see that before I believe it. If Luka goes from 6th or 7th best player in the league to top 2 or 3 then Dallas could similarly take a jump into tier 2 organically, but otherwise I think both teams are a piece away right now.  

Morey is really smart.  Doc Rivers is sort of smart?   They got a lot better on the bench and in the front office than last year so I put them in tier 3 because of that- but I originally had them and Toronto in different order before flip flopping them at the end.  

With Toronto and Philly, as well as Houston and Utah I actually ranked who I think will have the worse season higher b/c I think the other counterpart team is more solid and likely to do better over the course of the season, but I think Philly has a slightly higher ceiling than Toronto and Houston has a slightly higher ceiling than Utah.  Both of these things I believe b/c I think if you played those 2 series out in a best of 7 Houston and Philly would have the best player on the court- and win I'm picking a best of 7 that's a pretty big consideration for me.  

I guess the argument for Golden State isn't all that much more far fetched than Houston, but Steph just seems to fragile to me to be able to play at a high level and carry a team by himself all year long the way Harden does in the Regular Season.  

Regular Season James Harden is fucking incredible.  

Don't see anyone besides the two LA squads with much of an advantage if any over the Rockets.  Before CP3 and RW, with Harden near MVP level, they were already top 4.  The supporting cast looks better this year, even without Wall, and if Harden is locked in they are a coin flip with Denver/Dallas in the West for top 3/4

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Don't see anyone besides the two LA squads with much of an advantage if any over the Rockets.  Before CP3 and RW, with Harden near MVP level, they were already top 4.  The supporting cast looks better this year, even without Wall, and if Harden is locked in they are a coin flip with Denver/Dallas in the West for top 3/4

I don't know that Harden will even be a Rocket.  I don't think he will have his heart in it to be a top 2 or 3 guy in the league.  I'm betting Wall isn't near as seamless a fit as Paul was.  Boogie is most likely a stiff.  If you want me to bet on the order out west I will go with:

Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Dallas, Utah, Houston, Phx, Warriors, Portland, Sacramento as your 10 "playoff teams" in that order.  Rounded out in this order:  Memphis, Pelicans, Spurs, Twolves, Thunder.  

But fuck, the bottom of the west is a jumble and outside of OKC there isn't a team that really sucks out loud down there. I think I'd bet on the Rockets in the play in tournament before I'd bet on them with home court advantage in the West. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know that Harden will even be a Rocket.  I don't think he will have his heart in it to be a top 2 or 3 guy in the league.  I'm betting Wall isn't near as seamless a fit as Paul was.  Boogie is most likely a stiff.  If you want me to bet on the order out west I will go with:

Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Dallas, Utah, Houston, Phx, Warriors, Portland, Sacramento as your 10 "playoff teams" in that order.  Rounded out in this order:  Memphis, Pelicans, Spurs, Twolves, Thunder.  

But fuck, the bottom of the west is a jumble and outside of OKC there isn't a team that really sucks out loud down there. I think I'd bet on the Rockets in the play in tournament before I'd bet on them with home court advantage in the West. 

You got Sactown over NO and Memphis?

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You got Sactown over NO and Memphis?

Yeah- it's my surprise pick- I like some of their young guys.  They were frisky 2 years ago before being pretty dreadful last year. I think they bounce back this year.  I think losing Holiday (and Reddick?) hurts the Pels and I think Memphis had a bunch of kids that take a step back this year. Sort of like what Sacto did from 2 years ago to last year.  It's a hunch. I don't know that it's particularly logical.  You could sell me on any order between 6 and 14 out west. 

50 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

DEN and DAL should definitely be better off hand.  UTA prolly should be and POR might be too

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, d2o said:

DEN and DAL should definitely be better off hand.  UTA prolly should be and POR might be too

Agreed, even though Denver lost Grant they recovered nicely. Dallas is better today(especially defensively) than they were against the Clips(even with a KP injury), and the natural progression of their young guys, read Luka, will help them move up IMO.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think you're about to see the duality of D'Antoni come to light. Guy is a very good coach that will never get you to a championship, but your team will be worse when he leaves. I don't see Houston as much of a threat unless you think 2015 John Wall is going to resurface.  

Where is the defense going to come from? Big teams are going to crush them down low, and Harden and Wall as your back court perimeter defenders is disastrous and it's not like they can press up and hand drivers off to Wood, a declining PJ Tucker and the corpse of DeMarcus Cousins. The Rockets defense will be fine as long as the other team doesn't have any perimeter shooters or offensively talented bigs. It's not really a well constructed roster at all. A lot of it doesn't make sense. I'm not saying they'll be terrible, they have enough talent to make the playoffs. But I'm hard pressed to consider them a threat.

I can also see a scenario where they implode with chemistry issues both on and off the court. Roster construction that doesn't mesh very well plus Harden, Wall and Boogie is a lot of fuel for a fire.

It's crazy how quickly things change. A Russ Westbrook for John Wall trade has received about 8 replies and a collective "meh" from this thread. Three years ago, that would be a blockbuster.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't see how Denver got better unless you just assume some growth from Bol and Porter, Jr.

That’s not an illogical assumption at all. They need Porter Jr to become a top 50 type guy to really have a shot at winning it all to my way of thinking. He certainly has shown flashes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I think you're about to see the duality of D'Antoni come to light. Guy is a very good coach that will never get you to a championship, but your team will be worse when he leaves. I don't see Houston as much of a threat unless you think 2015 John Wall is going to resurface.  

Where is the defense going to come from? Big teams are going to crush them down low, and Harden and Wall as your back court perimeter defenders is disastrous and it's not like they can press up and hand drivers off to Wood, a declining PJ Tucker and the corpse of DeMarcus Cousins. The Rockets defense will be fine as long as the other team doesn't have any perimeter shooters or offensively talented bigs. It's not really a well constructed roster at all. A lot of it doesn't make sense. I'm not saying they'll be terrible, they have enough talent to make the playoffs. But I'm hard pressed to consider them a threat.

I can also see a scenario where they implode with chemistry issues both on and off the court. Roster construction that doesn't mesh very well plus Harden, Wall and Boogie is a lot of fuel for a fire.

It's crazy how quickly things change. A Russ Westbrook for John Wall trade has received about 8 replies and a collective "meh" from this thread. Three years ago, that would be a blockbuster.

Not much to disagree with here, other than Wall for Russ is a defensive improvement. They aren’t going to be confused for the reincarnation of prime Gary Payton or anything but they won’t be as bad in the backcourt, defensively as say, Portland or Atlanta or Washington I wouldn’t think. 
harden is like a B defender now, imo. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Llogg said:

I don't see how Denver got better unless you just assume some growth from Bol and Porter, Jr.

Losing Jerami Grant is a blow to them no doubt. But I could still see a scenario where they get better. Not only with Porter Jr taking a leap but I think some natural growth from Murray (he's only 23) could be reasonably expected. Bur more importantly, getting Will Barton back from injury should be a boost to them. They missed him in the playoffs. I also like the JaMychal Green signing. He does a lot of the things that Grant did but at a much better price point.

Beyond the personnel comings and goings, that's a team that has been playing together for a few years now and has some real playoff experience under their belts. If any team in the west is poised to take the next step and give the Lakers a run, I think it's them.

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Starters last year were Westbrook Harden Tucker House and Robert Covington.  A Westbrook and Harden back court defense isn't a high bar for a Wall/Harden back court to match.  The loss of Covington is easily replaced by Tucker being allowed to move from center where you now have Wood as a major upgrade.  Rebounding should improve.  It's close to the same team with better pieces.

19 vs 20

PG: RW/Rivers v Wall & ?? (unknown)

SG: Harden/Gordon v Harden/Gordon

Wing: House/McLemore vs House/McLemore

Wing: Covington/Jeff Green vs Tucker/G Green

Center: Tucker/T Chandler vs Wood/Cousins

Bench:

19-Thabo Sefolocia (opted out of playoffs) + D'Antonio's refuses to go past 8 on bench

20-Thabo Sefolocia, + unknowns

Not much has changed, and major weaknesses (post D and rebounding were addressed).  If Wall is healthy, that is a defensive improvement as well.  It's certainly not a blockbuster, but it could improve the team.  Teams will need to pass the Rockets as they won't fall from last years performance. 

52 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Starters last year were Westbrook Harden Tucker House and Robert Covington.  A Westbrook and Harden back court defense isn't a high bar for a Wall/Harden back court to match.  The loss of Covington is easily replaced by Tucker being allowed to move from center where you now have Wood as a major upgrade.  Rebounding should improve.  It's close to the same team with better pieces.

19 vs 20

Bench:

19-Thabo Sefolocia (opted out of playoffs) + D'Antonio's refuses to go past 8 on bench

Not much has changed, and major weaknesses (post D and rebounding were addressed).  If Wall is healthy, that is a defensive improvement as well.  It's certainly not a blockbuster, but it could improve the team.  Teams will need to pass the Rockets as they won't fall from last years performance. 

Covington is considered one of the better wing defenders in the league. As much as I love PJ Tucker, he doesn't bring nearly the same defensive skillset on the perimeter. He's an undersized dude who does amazingly well against bigger guys in the post but I don't know how much you want him 23 feet from the basket trying to move his feet to stay in front of the better wings in the league. The Wood signing seems to be a good one, though. 

The Rockets are a wild card and as long as you have Harden, you have a puncher's chance. But from the outside, it looks like a fucking mess. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Covington is considered one of the better wing defenders in the league. As much as I love PJ Tucker, he doesn't bring nearly the same defensive skillset on the perimeter. He's an undersized dude who does amazingly well against bigger guys in the post but I don't know how much you want him 23 feet from the basket trying to move his feet to stay in front of the better wings in the league. The Wood signing seems to be a good one, though. 

The Rockets are a wild card and as long as you have Harden, you have a puncher's chance. But from the outside, it looks like a fucking mess. 

That’s a totally fair synopsis of the rockets right now. 

19 vs 20
Bench:

How was post defense addressed? Wood is a bad defender and Boogie will almost definitely be terrible defending anything further than 18 inches from the basket. And Mitch is right, losing RoCo is a defensive setback too.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Is it worse than a 6-5 center? Covington or House all having to guard the 5?  The size of cousins and wood alone is an upgrade. 

also

had no idea

I almost never say stupid shit like this, but I almost believe that if you gave me a month inside the gym to do non stop shooting I could outshoot Westbrook in a contest. I mean, I know I probably could t and dudes probably 70 or 80% when he’s fucking around in practice, but damn, the shot itself and the numbers are both so fucking ugly. 
so glad he’s not on my team anymore, after spending so many years on my #1A team (who we had Durant) and then my #1 team (Rockets) for a year. Throw in the absolute theft of an mvp trophy from Harden and Westbrook has been a thorn in my ass for the last decade. 
fucking finally get to ignore him as he goes to an irrelevant eastern conference team. Praise be to allah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Is it worse than a 6-5 center? Covington or House all having to guard the 5?  The size of cousins and wood alone is an upgrade. 

also

had no idea

PJ is still a much more effective post defender than Boogie or Wood. They still don’t have any rim protection and losing Roco is especially tough on their ability to switch. 

All that said the roster really isn’t bad but it certainly isn’t a contender. I do think it’s likely a playoff team. They still have James Harden after all 

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

PJ is still a much more effective post defender than Boogie or Wood. They still don’t have any rim protection and losing Roco is especially tough on their ability to switch. 

All that said the roster really isn’t bad but it certainly isn’t a contender. I do think it’s likely a playoff team. They still have James Harden after all 

Harden carried Lin and Parsons into the playoffs he's definitely carrying this team into the playoffs.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:56 PM, BradInATX said:

A Russ Westbrook for John Wall trade has received about 8 replies and a collective "meh" from this thread. Three years ago, that would be a blockbuster.

It's because it doesn't really move the needle in either direction. Russ is a known quantity that is veering dangerously close to washed-up, 2009-Iverson territory. He wastes so many God damn possessions without adding much if anything on defense. Wall hasn't played in forever and even at his best won't elevate the Rockets much past where they were in 2018 with CP3. 

I mean, it will be interesting and entertaining to watch, but it doesn't change the Rockets contention status imo and basically elevates the Wizards to long-shot darkhorse status at best.

Edited by ztejas

TMZ reported that on Nov. 19 that DeRozan heard a commotion in a part of the family's Los Angeles-area house that included one of his children. When DeRozan checked it out, he found the trespasser and chased the man out of his home, according to TMZ.

Justin Bergquist was arrested when he returned to the gated community, with TMZ reporting that the man told police he was looking for Kylie Jenner's home, not DeRozan's.

DeRozan downplayed the seriousness of the situation.

"I grew up in Compton, California," DeRozan said Saturday. "I've been through worse."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30454990/san-antonio-spurs-guard-demar-derozan-says-family-doing-well-home-invasion-scare

Harden carried Lin and Parsons into the playoffs he's definitely carrying this team into the playoffs.

I don’t disagree that he’ll get them in(if he’s there)

But this is a MUCH tougher/Deeper West than that year imo. There are legit 10-11 teams vying for the 8 seeds(and with the play ins they’ll all be going for it not giving up half way through the season).

So it’s not as sure a thing as in years past.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I don’t disagree that he’ll get them in(if he’s there)

But this is a MUCH tougher/Deeper West than that year imo. There are legit 10-11 teams vying for the 8 seeds(and with the play ins they’ll all be going for it not giving up half way through the season).

So it’s not as sure a thing as in years past.

Yeah, on paper the Rockets still have a Top 5ish roster in the West. I agree it depends on Harden being bought into playing with the current iteration, which I think is better than last year. More diversity especially if Cousins and Wall are healthy. Though Wood should be interesting to follow, as he's likely one of the favorites for MIP, if he can slightly increase his production from last year over a full 82.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Gotta wonder if he’s committed. If he is they’re a playoff team. If he’s not then they’re not.

This is quickly becoming a real issue.   He's in the club in a pandemic and then citing Covid concerns at least part of why he isnt in practice

• Hook 'Em 1