No was this wasn't intentional. Black elected official given office in "Negroes" basement..

crash_davis

You got to be fucking kidding me. How can this be unintentional? Are the racists this blatant? If it's unintentional, how can the "leaders" be so fucking tone death? 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/11/17/ellis-county-moves-black-constables-office-near-segregation-era-negroes-sign/

Ellis County moves Black constable’s office near segregation-era ‘negroes’ sign

An Ellis County constable, the only Black person serving in an elected county-level position, had his office space relegated to the basement this month, against his wishes.

The word “negroes” is painted on a wall in peeling black and gold capital letters in a stairwell just outside his office — a space he has to use for storage, even though the area is publicly accessible, he said. The sign, uncovered in a courthouse restoration about 20 years ago, apparently once designated segregated facilities for Black people.

“If it was actually outside, you could drive — take another route where you don’t have to see it,” Polk said. “But to get to my stuff, I have to see it every day, just to get in there to get papers or get supplies out that I need for my daily functions.”

Polk moved into the new office Nov. 6 after the county commissioners voted earlier that week to switch up office locations for several departments in the Ellis County Historic Courthouse, he said. The changes were made to make room for a new county court, according to the Waxahachie Daily Light.

Little said his goal is to get Polk into a private office. Other departments with larger staffs took priority for larger offices, he said.

“We’re saddened that Curtis Polk is hurt by the issue, and we’re going to do everything that we can” to work it out, he said.

[CSB]In the early 60s we moved to Selma Alabama. My dad (white man) went to the court house to do something routine, maybe to register to vote. There was a white part of the office, and a separate but equal black part. White side was closed, so my dad just shrugged and did the paperwork on the black side, they didn't mind. Same paperwork.

So what happened was, after that my dad was on the list of everything that got sent to black voters. This was Selma, in the 60s. I wish we'd kept it all. I was too little to know anything about it, but I bet there were some Voting-Museum-quality fliers and fundraisers. Maybe appeals from MLK. I would love to find one scrap of it.

On the up-side, we probably missed all the Citizen's Council and other crypto-Klan stuff as well.

[/CSB]

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To a certain extent, I could see leaving it.

If you ever actually see a "coloreds only" sign, it makes an impact that I think photos don't quite convey.

My mother (1/4 cherokee) had a sign in her kitchen that read "No alcohol served to Indians after sundown" that was taken from a bar in North Texas some many years ago.

4 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

He needs to have them paint the wall, but stick with me in the basement office crew.  It's pretty fuckin nice being in a spot where people tend to leave you alone unless they ACTUALLY need something and you have 2x the space that everyone else does.  Windows are overrated.  

Nothing says "my opinions really matter" more than having a windowless, soulless "office" whose door does not have a lock in a dank basement. If you are in charge of a department or have people report to you, you want an office which represents your standing in an organization. Petty, I know but so is office politics and image.

Nothing says "my opinions really matter" more than having a windowless, soulless "office" whose door does not have a lock in a dank basement. If you are in charge of a department or have people report to you, you want an office which represents your standing in an organization. Petty, I know but so is office politics and image.

Oh he'll get moved.  His current situation sounds much worse that what I've got, buuuuut facilities guys can fix up a surprising amount of things for office spaces if he were inclined to make the inevitable fatasses trudge up and down the stairs when he tells them to.

One of our associate professors actually managed to get some sleep study spaces converted for his office use (so he's got a separate shower and bathroom in there, among other pretty cool things), and the other guy the state with the same job title as me got them to build one for him out of a damn hallway.  Instead of this wide dead-end hallway with lab access on either side, it became a sort of waiting room and an office (no more lab access that way, of course).  It's actually kind of impressive what they can do.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

I grew up in part near Rice Stadium and back in the late '80s they'd just leave it open year round...One day I was in there rummaging around a concession stand on one of the concourses and I found an old wooden "Colored" sign on a shelf under the counter. So I stole it, and took it home to my grandfather, who, I am not proud to report, seemed to be far too pleased to see such a thing. He took it from me and I never saw it again. Who knows what he did with it. 

Just now, futureman said:

I just have a bit of a problem with overt racism.  you’re not clever and you’re not being funny.  this isn’t the jim crow era south, it’s 2020, take that shit somewhere else. 

lighten the fuck up douchebag. your shtick is fucking tiresome.

maybe this website isn't for you.

• Like 1