Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

gonna be in Tahiti in september, I'm thinking super hard about making a fly fishing trip to Tetioria, an atoll like bora bora but without bora bora  ... went down a rabbit hole and found it, quite possibly the stupidest place (maybe in the world) to fly fish for bone fish and then some.  not the diving thread but there are dive sites there too and a dive shop.  fucking insane. I may die broke but holy shit the pictures and memories...

PHO226e7a90-22d9-11e4-81dc-f34e27a6788c-805x453.jpg

PHO8133f780-22d9-11e4-81dc-f34e27a6788c-805x453.jpg

Don’t get pissed when your guide starts calling you “le débutant” in French. :)

33 minutes ago, davidg said:

Don’t get pissed when your guide starts calling you “le débutant” in French. :)

Hahahaha, sounds sexy in French. 

shit I’m gonna buy a salt rig and practice every day in the back yard for that fucking trip. Expert level by the time I go! 

there is exactly one guide for the atoll and he comes from another island.  Bone fish can exceed 10 lbs easily I’m told. 

26 minutes ago, troph said:

Hahahaha, sounds sexy in French. 

shit I’m gonna buy a salt rig and practice every day in the back yard for that fucking trip. Expert level by the time I go! 

there is exactly one guide for the atoll and he comes from another island.  Bone fish can exceed 10 lbs easily I’m told. 

How much of a pain in the ass is it to get there?

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

How much of a pain in the ass is it to get there?

Austin to LAX (4 hours) to Tahiti (8 hours) then a puddle jumper (20 mins). The real cost is lodging, still not sure I’m going to pull the trigger but we are there on miles and I have costs for covered for the other parts of the trip as an advisor to a travel company so this would be an add on that makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Austin to LAX (4 hours) to Tahiti (8 hours) then a puddle jumper (20 mins). The real cost is lodging, still not sure I’m going to pull the trigger but we are there on miles and I have costs for covered for the other parts of the trip as an advisor to a travel company so this would be an add on that makes no sense.

I just didn’t know how far it was from the more visited areas of Tahiti.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I just didn’t know how far it was from the more visited areas of Tahiti.

20 mins from the main island by plane 3 hours by boat ride.  It’s north maybe a little east.

Tetioara is closer to Tahiti than Bora Bora. We did 5 nights in Moorea, 4 in BB and 1 in Tahiti proper for our 15th anniversary. In 2006 we paid $450-800 a night and I imagine it’s close to double that a night now for where we stayed. We’ve talked about going back but $$$.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, davidg said:

Tetioara is closer to Tahiti than Bora Bora. We did 5 nights in Moorea, 4 in BB and 1 in Tahiti proper for our 15th anniversary. In 2006 we paid $450-800 a night and I imagine it’s close to double that a night now for where we stayed. We’ve talked about going back but $$$.

It’s silly yes. Did you fish anywhere? I’m thinking about checking out other islands for fly fishing - the allure of tetioara is its almost unspoiled and close to Tahiti so we can easily get off the ship and fly over then fly back to Tahiti for our flight home. The downside is only one hotel and the guide is a minimum 3 days. Hard to do that when there is chill time and dive time needed too and we are only there for 3 days. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So it turns out Tetiaroa is the next new GT hotspot. Troph, you better not fuck this up, we're all counting on you...

This, bonefish can be found in a number of places. GT’s are what you are looking for where you are going. I watched a special somewhere with some guys that were big time GT guys and it was pretty amazing. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Posted (edited)

Yes they are there that’s part of what we would fish for and larger than normal bonefish. I don’t know the species well so I didn’t mention. 

fuck the bonefish - that’s what she said. 

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So it turns out Tetiaroa is the next new GT hotspot. Troph, you better not fuck this up, we're all counting on you...

That’s how I found it. 

Played hooky Tuesday afternoon and drove down to fish the evening and morning.  Buddy and I managed to hook a few reds on mullet around sunset and again in the morning, caught a few sand trout on plastics but the moon, fresh water and the front on Monday must have run off all the specks, didn’t catch a single one.  The mosquitoes weren’t bad, the sunset, campfire and a couple beers were worth the trip  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, troph said:

Great pic! 

Thanks, should have adjusted upward a bit to catch more sky but was in a hurry since he had a fish on.  If you’re ever interested in going there let me know and I’ll give you directions.  Pretty easy to get a camper like yours there, but fly fishing is spotty mainly because of wind. Great wading and kayaking though.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Thanks, should have adjusted upward a bit to catch more sky but was in a hurry since he had a fish on.  If you’re ever interested in going there let me know and I’ll give you directions.  Pretty easy to get a camper like yours there, but fly fishing is spotty mainly because of wind. Great wading and kayaking though.  

Always more sky! But the midline there is solid and the rod arched. I like it.

I love to wade fish gives me something to do in the surf. I really need to make more time for Texas coast fishing. Where is that? 

Edited by troph

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, troph said:

Always more sky! But the midline there is solid and the rod arched. I like it.

I love to wade fish gives me something to do in the surf. I really need to make more time for Texas coast fishing. Where is that? 

It’s called Oyster Lake (Park), near Palacios.  Directly in front of my friend to the West is Port O’Connor, across the bay.  A pretty easy 3 hour drive from here and usually not crowded, particularly during the week. Good cell signal and places to park the rv when tides are normal. No water or electric hookups though. Check out the aerial on this link, although it was taken during a low tide with relatively clear water.

https://matagordabeach.org/matagorda-bay-kayak-paddling-trails/oyster-lake-park/

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

Looks fantastic! Can you park on those sand bars and not get covered up during high tide? 

Yeah, the south end of the little peninsula never gets water, except during severe storms. It’s not soft sand either, it’s hard crushed oyster shell so even in rain it’s not an issue getting in or out.  The road getting there is gravel and can be a little bumpy after a rain, but they generally maintain it pretty well now that there are shrimp farms and a couple of gas wells off of it.  Much better than when I was a kid, that bridge was wood and the road would rattle your teeth out.  Another Surly poster, Bevo andPevo’s grandparents used to operate a bait camp there up until the early 70s.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

If you don’t want to drag the camper, you can drive 15 miles or so into Palacios and stay at the Luther, it’s an eclectic treat.  One of the oldest hotels on the coast.  The old red-headed lady that Jack, the late owner named as trustee of the place is fixing up rooms that haven’t been used in over 50 years.  It’s an odd, non fancy place, but there is a great fishing pier across the street.  

https://lutherhotelpalacios.com/?fbclid=IwAR2CCyC9c7lP-N55j-cp5y06_nKOP4XdpyTVYXNR1g7zH4qLoWOc-x5hhto

Disclaimer, the rooms aren’t “extremely clean”, unless you are judging by 103 year old standards.  They are clean enough and interesting.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 7/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, Lat22 said:

Moon going down, sun coming up.
9bab3009f5b733d5a8556677d3a200c5.jpg

Did you do any good?  I assume you weren't up that early for a boat ride. I was out of town but my bro stayed at my house and fished all weekend.  They didn't fare too well in the am but had some decent stringers late afternoon Saturday.

15 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Did you do any good?  I assume you weren't up that early for a boat ride. I was out of town but my bro stayed at my house and fished all weekend.  They didn't fare too well in the am but had some decent stringers late afternoon Saturday.

Not really.  Couple of 15 inch trout down by the entrance to Carancahua.  It was early for me, but a tad bit late for the topwater bite.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Not really.  Couple of 15 inch trout down by the entrance to Carancahua.  It was early for me, but a tad bit late for the topwater bite.

When I was a kid they didn’t tell me fishing was hard, that it was like baseball and strikeouts happen from time to time and homeruns don’t happene every time.  Then I grew up and changed the game. I win the moment I step on the boat and smell the salty water and put the land and all its bullshit aside.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Truth be told, sometimes I go out and never take a rod out of the holder.

hell yeah.  I'm at that point that about the only thing that soothes my troubled / tormented middle aged soul is the water and sometimes the fish.  I don't care how, sailing, fishing, surfing, diving, ocean, lake, rafting down a river, hot ass Central Texas river, cool as shit Colorado mountain stream, west coast, Keys, Mexico, Gulf, bays, skinny water, blue water, doesn't matter, but that's maybe the only thing that works.  well that and the tennis courts, but that's for a different thread.

I kinda wonder wtf is wrong with me, I know y'all've been saying somethings wrong for a long ass time, I'm just catching up.

Port A next week.  So excite!

I will have my fly rod with me and will be hitting up some of the channels for specks and redfish on a kayak.  This will be the first time I have tried out fishing with fly gear at the coast, so I expect there to be some hilarity involved.

If I die, please give my rep to a needy poster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1