The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+

mdmost

This show is mega lame now that Baron Zemo just kinda peaces out, down to the mega lame baddie of the freckle face, but John Walker/Contessa still provides a ray of hope the end will be good. I'n now pot committed though, with one episode left I'll watch the dragged carcass of the finale. 

Here is a thought experiment: Falcon and Bucky are the most dull, unlikeable duo to headline and attempt to carry a series since when?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Well, in my defense, I was drunk when I posted that it was woke.
Don't apologize. If you don't know the history, it is what it is. It's all based on a comic book AKA fairy tales for males. You're entitled to your opinion just like those who like it/get it. People on both sides need to get the fuck over it.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Don't apologize. If you don't know the history, it is what it is. It's all based on a comic book AKA fairy tales for males. You're entitled to your opinion just like those who like it/get it. People on both sides need to get the fuck over it.

Yeah, because some of these characters have been around since the 1940s - 1960s, they've been reinvented over and over, and that's lost on a lot of folks.

11 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Having said that, I'm having a hard time buying JLD in the role of the newest character. 

On a site with a lot of them… this is my nominee for the most “WTF” post in memory.

The ONLY problem with that scene is that it happened early in the episode and everything else was anti-climactic from there.  

We got a boat repair scene straight out of “Summer Vacation”/“One Crazy Summer” and a “Rocky” workout montage for Falcon.

The scene with Isaiah was compelling, but this show NEEDS action and we only got the one fight scene at the beginning.

The “Great Value” Captain America scene post-credits didn’t have any impact at all.  

I’m sure that I would feel differently if this wasn’t the penultimate episode of the season.   You expect a good twist/reveal or a cliff hanger for the big finish, and we got none of that.   

On a site with a lot of them… this is my nominee for the most “WTF” post in memory.
The ONLY problem with that scene is that it happened early in the episode and everything else was anti-climactic from there.  
We got a boat repair scene straight out of “Summer Vacation”/“One Crazy Summer” and a “Rocky” workout montage for Falcon.
The scene with Isaiah was compelling, but this show NEEDS action and we only got the one fight scene at the beginning.
The “Great Value” Captain America scene post-credits didn’t have any impact at all.  

I’m sure that I would feel differently if this wasn’t the penultimate episode of the season.   You expect a good twist/reveal or a cliff hanger for the big finish, and we got none of that.   

Terrible take.

The boat repair was about WS/Sam bonding and ultimately training together. It looked like WS was better with the shield and was helping Sam to become better with it and to demonstrate how the two of them could beat ass with it (ala ironman beatdown). Sam wasn’t really reaching out to WS and WS had been processing his struggles and lost without his only real friend or family. Sam could go home. WS has no one. That changed with this episode.

I find too many fight scenes to be boring.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

That whole scene circles back to how the Black Widow was supposed to introduce us to JLD's character last year, which would have then made everybody go

Spoiler

"Holy shit, Madam Hydra is meeting with Party City Captain America!"

Instead, most people will find out who her character is when/if they see Black Widow, and so the scene has now lost a lot of the weight that should have been present.

The truly unfortunate thing is that we won't see JLD in a bikini, unlike the comic book version of her character.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, because some of these characters have been around since the 1940s - 1960s, they've been reinvented over and over, and that's lost on a lot of folks.

Exactly. Back when Sam got the shield in the actual comic, I went all the way back to the Golden age and read up. There's way too much back story to fit in anything Disney probably wanted to do.

So I can see why if you are just judging Falcon and Winter Soldier the show, you might feel a certain way about some of the storylines. The guys on reddit seem to really have a hard time not understanding why everyone doesn't love it.

I've just accepted that it's loosely based on the novel, like most books that become movies. I think the writers could have done a better job.

It does need more action, though.

16 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I find too many fight scenes to be boring.

Agreed.  This was basically the 7th inning stretch, as somebody put it. I enjoyed seeing John Walker turning into US Agent as well.

Ripping out the pandemic storyline did leave a big hole, and JLD's character being introduced now instead of last year threw things off, since it would have carried more weight if people knew who she was and why she would be interested in John Walker.  That plays into this series being a big springboard - John Walker, Sharon Carter, and Zemo are clearly being setup for future series/films.  Not a coincidence they put Zemo under Thunderbolt Ross's care.

I think that throws things off a bit for people since the last episode should be mostly focused on the Flag Smashers and/or John Walker, but we've seen relatively little of the Flag Smashers compared to everybody else.

12 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Don't read the comics so this all new to me. Trying to keep up with all the new characters that I know nothing about is a bit much at times but as others have said, that's what we have all the YouTube "easter egg" videos for.

Having said that, I'm having a hard time buying JLD in the role of the newest character. 

You're on your own with that one.    She was great.   Cant wait to see how that character fits/works.

Just now, Brothahorn said:

I've just accepted that it's loosely based on the novel, like most books that become movies. I think the writers could have done a better job.

A lot more folks need to view it that way, but it's confusing as hell because if it were a novel, it would have been rewritten about 10 or 15 times by 10 or 15 people.

I'd be less forgiving of the writing if I wasn't familiar with a lot of these characters already, and just happy to see them on the screen.  Really need to see what the pandemic storyline would have been, and need to see JLD in the Black Widow movie.

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That whole scene circles back to how the Black Widow was supposed to introduce us to JLD's character last year, which would have then made everybody go

Reveal hidden contents

"Holy shit, Madam Hydra is meeting with Party City Captain America!"

And by the way, I joke about "Party City Captain America", but Wyatt Russell has been killing it as John Walker.  Basically everything I wanted out of US Agent.  Once again, a home run with casting.

Same with Zemo.  Still can't believe they pulled it off.  

My 8 year-old has been looking at some of my 70s and 80s Captain America comics, and he recognizes Zemo, Cap, etc., and I can't wait until a year or two from now when I'm cool with him watching the MCU movies and the Disney MCU shows. I got the 70s comics from a cousin back in the 80s who was going in the military, and I keep wondering if he's going to ask me if I still have them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I think where the show went off was having simultaneous bad guys. You have the Power Broker, Flag Smashers (good and bad guys), Walker, and now JLD though she's more of a cameo that leads into I bet Hawkeye, Armor Wars, and other terrestrial Marvel shows that won't have Skrulls, cosmic forces, or take place just off world in general.

The Captain America movies all worked because they had one villain controlling everything. It was all Hydra in the first 2 and then Zemo in the 3rd. The GDC probably should've been the villain instead of some nebulous almost afterthought group that occasionally show up. Maybe have the Power Broker being in control of it since he or she craves power. Maybe that will still be the case. I'm curious if the pandemic plotline was a virus meant to kill a huge number of the displaced people since some were happy with how things were during the blip and the Flag Smashers were trying to get vaccines to those refugees. The series didn't paint the world as well as WandaVision did post-blip. 

• Like 1

And by the way, I joke about "Party City Captain America", but Wyatt Russell has been killing it as John Walker.  Basically everything I wanted out of US Agent.  Once again, a home run with casting.
Same with Zemo.  Still can't believe they pulled it off.  
My 8 year-old has been looking at some of my 70s and 80s Captain America comics, and he recognizes Zemo, Cap, etc., and I can't wait until a year or two from now when I'm cool with him watching the MCU movies and the Disney MCU shows. I got the 70s comics from a cousin back in the 80s who was going in the military, and I keep wondering if he's going to ask me if I still have them.
Like an idiot I gave away my comic collection when I was 20 because I thought I was too cool for that. I had stuff like Richie Rich, Sad Sack and a huge Marvel collection, especially G.I Joe. Gave them to my idiot cousin who was 9 years younger. He thinks I'm joking when I ask for them back.
  • Rage+1 1

The “woke” isn’t the problem. Like, at all. It’s the terrible dialogue and pace.

I understand that they had to excise a major plot line, and it shows.

If you want a walking talking PTSD example to open up about his feelings than I suggest turning to this Is US or whatever modern day shit show that has taken its place.

9 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

My issue with JLD is that, according to what's been said, her character was supposed to have been revealed in BW.

So, and again I say this knowing nothing about the character, if she's a female badass from the world of BW, then I assume that she also mixes it up in hand-to-hand fighting and combat. It is this that I'm having difficulty with.

Edited by BluTechsan

Because you don't think there are any 25-40 yo stuntwomen who look enough like JLD?  

Re: the woke moment.  Maybe a bit too preachy, but the real problem was the clunky dialogue.  Like the scene was scripted the day of shooting.  And back when Falcon became Captain America in the comics a few years back, didn't the blue pill comic nerds flake out too?  Seems like a theme of somekind.

8 hours ago, d2o said:

You're on your own with that one.    She was great.   Cant wait to see how that character fits/works.

As I said to Guadalupe, my issue with JLD is that, according to what's been said, her character was supposed to have been revealed in BW.

So, and again I say this knowing nothing about the character, if she's a female badass from the world of BW, then I assume that she also mixes it up in hand-to-hand fighting and combat. It is this that I'm having difficulty with.

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Because you don't think there are any 25-40 yo stuntwomen who look enough like JLD?  

Re: the woke moment.  Maybe a bit too preachy, but the real problem was the clunky dialogue.  Like the scene was scripted the day of shooting.  And back when Falcon became Captain America in the comics a few years back, didn't the blue pill comic nerds flake out too?  Seems like a theme of somekind.

Has nothing to do with her age and everything to do with it being HER. 😂

Edited by BluTechsan

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People are going to lose their shit when Marvel's animated "What If?" series comes out on Disney+, and Peggy Carter takes the serum instead of Steve.

I can't wait for What If? as those books were some of the best ones from the 80s and early 90s. They had no fear of killing everyone off because it didn't matter. I'm curious how they'll handle the T'Challa one and if Chadwick Boseman voiced him or not. 

Edited by mdmost

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I can't wait for What If? as those books were some of the best ones from the 80s and early 90s. They had no fear of killing everyone off because it didn't matter. I'm curious how they'll handle the T'Challa one and if Chadwick Boseman voiced him or not. 

Was that the one where he became Star Lord?

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

It was practically a requirement for the 90's run. Even something like "What if Spider-Man Skipped His Weatcake Breakfast...?" would somehow end up with Dr. Doom killing most of the heroes in the Marvel Universe.

Back in December, Feige said Boseman finished voice work for "several" episodes.

So I watched Captain America again the other night, and there was a line in a Red Skull speech about in the future there will be more of the super people and there will be no need for nations anymore.   Not sure if it was accidental or not, or if this was just how psychics get money from rubes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

So I watched Captain America again the other night, and there was a line in a Red Skull speech about in the future there will be more of the super people and there will be no need for nations anymore.   Not sure if it was accidental or not, or if this was just how psychics get money from rubes. 

Not accidental, as we'll see when

[spioler] Mephisto is revealed as the Power Broker [/spoiler]

1 hour ago, RPM said:

LOL, just saw THIS GUY is the new Captain America? smdh

Except he was fired last episode for cutting somebody in half with Cap's shield.

He's now US Agent.

And the actor is fucking killing it as John Walker. One of those few instances where a couple of decent actors sire a child who is also a decent actor.

John-Walker-at-the-Beginning-and-End-of-

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, crony said:

For a super prison, the raft sure sucks at its job.

Maybe that was by design.  Thunderbolt Ross is in charge of the Raft.  

Spoiler

I laughed my ass off that Zemo's elderly butler killed those Flag Smashers so easily, after it appeared to all of us that they were going to escape with help.