Bourbon

Jimbaround

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm guessing we all started that Monday after New Years? 

I actually started 1/1 which was poor planning on my part but I made it through.  FWIW I’ve found a couple decent NA IPAs.  I generally dislike IPAs so the NA makes for a less disagreeable change - some kind of Jedi mind trick I suppose. Might not belong in this thread but since it looks like several of us are on the same program...

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I wish I understood why some people get up in arms about ice. I also wish I understood why some people put ice in whiskey in general.

No ice in whiskey by itself, but I admit to being passionate about clear ice in cocktails.  I love the slow melt and appearance so damn much. 

I wish I understood why some people get up in arms about ice. I also wish I understood why some people put ice in whiskey in general.

I like how the flavor changes as the ice melts. I’ll go near sometimes but I just prefer a cold beverage. I’ve tried whiskey stones and they are just weird to me.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t know if they advertise on IG, they were given to me. They work great.

Tovolo Sphere Ice Molds - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ACTN54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_1MibGbFKRJM12

Thanks.  Significantly cheaper than what I use talking about.  A little googling and I found them:

https://www.wintersmiths.com/collections/shop

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Thanks.  Significantly cheaper than what I use talking about.  A little googling and I found them:

https://www.wintersmiths.com/collections/shop

I bought the Wintersmiths ice chest this summer, added the clear cubes tray insert so I can make both balls and cubes.  The ice turns out perfectly clear.  They look great in cocktails.

It might just be a psychological thing, but I do think the drinks taste better with clear ice, all the air and impurities pushed out of the ball or cube during the freeze.  At least, that's what it looks like to me.  Now when I have a drink with cloudy ice, I think I'm tasting all the impurities in the Austin water.  Again, it may be a psychological effect, but it seems like a cleaner taste to me with clear ice.

The ice chest does take some space in the freezer, so I only leave the chest in the freezer while it's making ice.  I make ice in runs, so I'll make a set of 4 balls or cubes for 3 days in a row to get 12 pieces.  I just keep those in a Ziploc freezer bag and store the ice chest in the pantry until I need to make some more ice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I bought the Wintersmiths ice chest this summer, added the clear cubes tray insert so I can make both balls and cubes.  The ice turns out perfectly clear.  They look great in cocktails.
It might just be a psychological thing, but I do think the drinks taste better with clear ice, all the air and impurities pushed out of the ball or cube during the freeze.  At least, that's what it looks like to me.  Now when I have a drink with cloudy ice, I think I'm tasting all the impurities in the Austin water.  Again, it may be a psychological effect, but it seems like a cleaner taste to me with clear ice.
The ice chest does take some space in the freezer, so I only leave the chest in the freezer while it's making ice.  I make ice in runs, so I'll make a set of 4 balls or cubes for 3 days in a row to get 12 pieces.  I just keep those in a Ziploc freezer bag and store the ice chest in the pantry until I need to make some more ice.

I start with purified water so no impurities to be “pushed out”. I don’t know if the air affects the taste or not. The clear stuff does seem to melt slower.

13 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

A new Spec’s opened by me recently and I found some on the shelf a few days after they opened. That was a first for me and came just when I’m about to go finish my open one.

The distribution is bizarre. I picked up a bottle in West Houston in 2017. 

Nothing for 2-3 years. I somehow found two bottles. Drank one. 

Found another bottle during the Spec's covid riot in 2020. I should have cleaned them out, but I was keeping my powder dry for better bottles that never came.

That's it. Blanton's is easier to find, at least in my experience. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Here is my very unpopular opinion 

drink bourbon however the fuck you want. Neat. Ice. Line of coke. Who gives a fuck. 

(that being said, one of my former coworkers always championed high proof bourbon, he always mocked me for preferring below 110, and was all about 130 proof or whatever. He sent me a pic of some bourbon he was drinking one night. His glass has a large piece of ice in it. Fine, live your life, but do you really enjoy 130 proof or are you diluting your bourbon down to a more palatable proof? Yes I realize some water opens up the whiskey, but when does or become dilution? Things that make you think) 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Here is my very unpopular opinion 

drink bourbon however the fuck you want. Neat. Ice. Line of coke. Who gives a fuck. 

(that being said, one of my former coworkers always championed high proof bourbon, he always mocked me for preferring below 110, and was all about 130 proof or whatever. He sent me a pic of some bourbon he was drinking one night. His glass has a large piece of ice in it. Fine, live your life, but do you really enjoy 130 proof or are you diluting your bourbon down to a more palatable proof? Yes I realize some water opens up the whiskey, but when does or become dilution? Things that make you think) 

Both the Noes and Russells have said essentially the same thing.  

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, henrygandorf said:

so i just received an email from k&l alerting me that i have made it onto their end-of-year lottery list. 

i have until next wed to rank the bottles from the list they supplied.  the list has ~150 bottles on it, and i assume they have multiples of a lot of them.  they range in price from $29 to $3k+.  apparently you just submit your list, and sometime between the 20th and 27th, the card you have on file gets dinged, and you purchased the bottle.  pretty much every bottle imaginable is on the list.

this is going to take some time.  we are way beyond birthdays now.

Frame Found on Twitter: "Harrison Ford and Greg Germann in Clear and Present  Danger (1994)… "

any advice, sarcastic or otherwise, is welcome.

the list is in.

deadline is wed noon, which means they start processing the preferences then, and it could take up to a week.  i'm thinking there are probably 500+ bottles on this list, so it will be quite the undertaking.

if i get a btac, pappy, or michters 25, i'll be back here to celebrate.  if i get a larceny barrel proof (last on my list), then may we never speak of the list again.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Unless you’re trying to make a new friend, I’d pass on all four bottles you mentioned. 

Good to know. Thought I read somewhere the 03 was worth picking up. I’m going to get the JD more out of nostalgia than to have a good bottle. My refined palette still enjoys JD. It’s what I grew up on. They also have a ton of Buffalo Trace 1.5’s, so I may restock before the craze hits here.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:41 PM, Brew said:

Good to know. Thought I read somewhere the 03 was worth picking up. I’m going to get the JD more out of nostalgia than to have a good bottle. My refined palette still enjoys JD. It’s what I grew up on. They also have a ton of Buffalo Trace 1.5’s, so I may restock before the craze hits here.

I really like grandmas batch 

84b0db57d2877847d14850c3683d70c2.jpg

Been wanting this one for a loooong time.
Oh my,
The nose on this is quite extraordinary!
Ton of wood and leather for days with some tobacco notes as well.
Palate reminds me of apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but somehow ends up with a chocolate note at the end.
Finishes much longer than I expected for a 90 proofer.
This is outstanding!
I am a die hard Woodford Batch Proof fan but this takes the cake.
This bottle is special.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brown water said:

I’ve tasted better but never enjoyed more. 

564153A8-0753-4F7B-8C30-C2C05C87A9D4.jpeg

A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy at Spec’s who I think worked for the distributor. He said he hadn’t heard of 46 Cask Strength being in town (I’m in SA), so this would be a cheeky way to upcharge around $15 for only a few proof points (46 cask strength looks to be 109). 

• Hook 'Em 1

84b0db57d2877847d14850c3683d70c2.jpg

Been wanting this one for a loooong time.
Oh my,
The nose on this is quite extraordinary!
Ton of wood and leather for days with some tobacco notes as well.
Palate reminds me of apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but somehow ends up with a chocolate note at the end.
Finishes much longer than I expected for a 90 proofer.
This is outstanding!
I am a die hard Woodford Batch Proof fan but this takes the cake.
This bottle is special.
Drank some of mine last night to celebrate America living on a little bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy at Spec’s who I think worked for the distributor. He said he hadn’t heard of 46 Cask Strength being in town (I’m in SA), so this would be a cheeky way to upcharge around $15 for only a few proof points (46 cask strength looks to be 109). 

Not surprised. Spec’s gets very cute on their single barrel prices. 

• Like 1