Bourbon

Jimbaround

Pulled an older Stagg jr. Batch 7 (130.%) from the back of the Liquor cabinet tonight and compared it to a recently acquired SJr Batch 13. It looks like either the fill levels are different,  or some of the older one has evaporated, maybe a quarter ounce.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it a bad fill or evaporation? I'll hang up now  and listen.

Edited by RaylanGivens

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m up to 25 open bottles on the bar which is a lot for me. But not for long if this quarantine keeps up. It takes me a good couple minutes each evening to decide what I’m gonna have so as not to run out of any one thing.

I need to drink the stuff I don’t like and get shed of it.

that's the way i do it too.  plow through the most common bottles so that i dont accumulate so many bottles and what stays in my collection is the good stuff.

• Like 1

I cracked the Texas bock
Not gonna lie,
Not their best effort.
To me I taste a low proof malt whiskey with a bit of beer finish.
I don’t dislike it, but I won’t buy another.
They did price it right at $42.
And looks like it’s not available at the distillery anymore.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:51 PM, BigDHornfan said:

I cracked the Texas bock
Not gonna lie,
Not their best effort.

It may taste like piss but it looks really nice on the shelf.  

I still think Rumble is their most interesting effort but I feel like that’s a minority opinion.  

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Barrel Proof is excellent. I’m sure Brown Forman used some of the Old Forester magic. This is really smooth for north of 66% abv, and 7 years or under. Well done you charcoal loving bastards.

Jack Single Barrel/Barrel Proof is better than almost all barrel strength Dickel and Jack Heritage Barrel is better than pretty much all lower proof Dickel products.  

25 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
What’s Ballpark msrp on willet 6y rye rare release?

Think I've gotten a few 6 year single barrels around 70 bucks or in that ballpark in the last year.

How about the "rose in paradise" 6y release?  Trying to figure out how bad the liquor store guy did my dad. 

90398581_154215236052973_200456315232363

Edited by Anastasis

How about the "rose in paradise" 6y release?  Trying to figure out how bad the liquor store guy did my dad. 

90398581_154215236052973_2004563152323638969_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=y2eAzghC4gkAX8U3p5m&oh=0c1c1927baf85e8211260cfb186a9041&oe=5ED6B4EB
I mean it should be in that 70 range msrp from willett, secondary (or sketchy liquor stores) I have no clue on that particular barrel. Maybe someone more in the know can chime in for ya. I have 2 stores where I live that are pretty much msrp for everything with a lottery system for customers. I'm also in Kentucky though.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Great bourbon weekend was almost an epic one. Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919, and a bottle of Elijah Craig 18. Just missed out on two bottles of Four Roses OESK. I’ll probably cheer myself up with another bottle of Private Select. 

there seems to be more out there right now.  I wonder if its covid related - either because no one has the money, or everyone is staying home.   found eagle rare, stagg jr, bookers granny batch, seems like another one too that I cant remember right now. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

there seems to be more out there right now.  I wonder if its covid related - either because no one has the money, or everyone is staying home.   found eagle rare, stagg jr, bookers granny batch, seems like another one too that I cant remember right now. 

The main reason is they are not selling this good stuff to bars and restaurants right now so it goes out to the Specs/Goody Goody/Twin Liquors of the world and they sell it to us regular folks.  Total Wine near me has different allocated bottles every day and they allow one per person on a first come first serve basis.  I was at Specs last week and they had some Blantons come in and I haven’t seen that on the shelves in a while.  Would really like to find another bottle of Stagg Jr as that stuff is quite tasty.

17 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The main reason is they are not selling this good stuff to bars and restaurants right now so it goes out to the Specs/Goody Goody/Twin Liquors of the world and they sell it to us regular folks.  Total Wine near me has different allocated bottles every day and they allow one per person on a first come first serve basis.  I was at Specs last week and they had some Blantons come in and I haven’t seen that on the shelves in a while.  Would really like to find another bottle of Stagg Jr as that stuff is quite tasty.

Location?

On 4/30/2020 at 7:51 PM, BigDHornfan said:

I cracked the Texas bock
Not gonna lie,
Not their best effort.

Had some last night.  It's not incredible, but it's not terrible.  Nothing to hunt down, but it's got a decent, unique flavor.  Lot of spice hints.  

Make sense but I'm not finding anything out there so instead of getting scores, I've killed 5 bottles of blantons and 2 ER since this stuff started

Is Texas Bock at Specs or Total Wine in Dallas? If not can I get it easily in Waco? With nothing else to do these days I’m willing to make that drive, even if it’s an average whiskey, just because I want it in my cabinet when we can have friends over again. And it’s a reason to leave the house for more than groceries.

Is Texas Bock at Specs or Total Wine in Dallas? If not can I get it easily in Waco? With nothing else to do these days I’m willing to make that drive, even if it’s an average whiskey, just because I want it in my cabinet when we can have friends over again. And it’s a reason to leave the house for more than groceries.

Specs in DFW has it

Nowhere near the 4 roses haul above, but grabbed a couple bottles at the distillery today with some stops along the way for a few store picks. 4 roses was nice enough to throw the glass and bourbon balls in for free. 22d630bf14961491614aaaa11d434374.jpg

Their visitor center is a nice hang. I use my glass quite often.
51a88f2764bc3d11413bba8fe5e62395.jpg
  • Like 2