Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Brakes

IT

Spoiler

By: IT Staff

- At the Pylon 7 on 7 tournament over the weekend, IT spent some time with former A&M linebacker Donnie Baggs. Baggs was a three-star recruit from Clear Springs who became a Cowboys UDFA signing after his days in College Station. Baggs was signed by Mike Sherman, but spent most of his career under Kevin Sumlin.

The first person he mentioned when he learned IT covered the Longhorns was Jeff Banks. “That guy right there...he is something. The energy, the intensity he coaches with. We went from Coach Polian over special teams, who is much more reserved, to Coach Banks [laughing]. What makes Banks different, along with his intensity, is he’s going to rip you when you mess up, but then he’ll come back and explain why he did. You know he really cares.”

This aligns with what IT has heard from Texas sources. The guy is a maniac in special teams meetings. He can cram an hour‘s worth of coaching in a 15 minute presentation. He acknowledges both the good and bad of a particular play and he’s 100 mph at all times.

RECRUITING

S Bryan Allen Jr, Aledo (TEXAS):

The four-star safety was supposed to announce today, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Eager to join UT’s 2022 class, Allen verbally pledged yesterday.

“I picked Texas because it felt right and I want to be a part of getting Texas back to a national spotlight,” Allen said. “(Our class) may go down in history.”

BJ Allen has thought about Sunday since he was 12 years old.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook:

While the 2022 class is trending nicely, Texas continues to set the pace with Anderson. The golden triangle product dropped his Top 5 over the weekend.

IT asked the four-star for one word that best describes each program for him.

“LSU: DBs

Texas A&M: Family

USC: Education

Michigan: Atmosphere

Texas: Is just Texas.”

After Anderson watched BJ Allen commit to Texas over the weekend, it might’ve only strengthened Anderson’s thoughts on the Horns. Wherever Anderson decides to commit, expect him to emerge as a class leader.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula, LA

At 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, the composite five-star athlete can play on both sides of the ball, but his future might be on the defensive side. Whether it’s safety, or more likely linebacker, you take his talent and figure out his best spot later.

Mathews says Florida, Texas, Michigan State, Memphis, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, Miami, and LSU are recruiting him the hardest. And he knows what he’s looking for.

“I’m looking for a school that trusts me to be a good example for their program,” Mathews said. “And trusts me to go win games on Saturdays. Most of all a school with a great communications program.”

As IT first reported Sunday, Mathews’ high school coach also coached Terry Joseph. Add in that Bryce Anderson has a growing friendship with the versatile prospect, and the Longhorns are beginning to trend favorably with Florida being the current slight favorite according to a source.

OL Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita

While Dewberry grew up a Texas fan, his favorite school starting the recruiting process was Ohio State. While Dewberry speaks with Ohio State regularly, and the family would like to make a student visit to Columbus, IT believes Ohio State will likely fall into the “too far from home” category at the end of the day. Oklahoma, however, does not fall into that category. The Sooners have a legit shot. Texas A&M also has a legit shot, and has been the favorite of one key family member. Texas is likely running third to Texas A&M and Oklahoma currently, according to a source close to the recruitment. The Longhorns need to “show” Dewberry and family what Texas football will be on the field this season. While Dewberry could move his commitment timeline up, this is one battle that could potentially go all the way to the December signing period. At this point, that would be a positive for UT.

For those wondering, IT still feels good with where Texas sits for Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie), Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek), and Connor Robertson (Austin Westlake). Texas is also in a good spot for Cole Hutson (Frisco) and still in it for Neto Umeozulu (Allen).

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (OU)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and staff are all in on trying to flip Hudson from rival Oklahoma. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound elite WR prospect continued to pose for pictures with the Horns down over the weekend, but a source very close to Hudson said people should continue to pay attention to Hudson’s recruitment. IT first reported that Hudson’s mom would like to see her son at Texas, and we are not backing off that nugget after speaking with a source on Saturday.

WR Chris Marshall, FB Marshall

One source over the weekend believes Marshall could pick Texas at the end of the day, but IT believes from speaking with a second source Texas A&M is the favorite in this recruitment and the 6-foot-3, 195-pounder picking the Longhorns would be fall into the upset category, as of today. While there’s some noise he could be nearing a decision, Marshall himself denies that as do others at Marshall high school. He wants to have a legitimate process. This one could go the way of Troy Omeire’s recruitment when factoring for Sarkisian’s usage of wide receivers compared to Jimbo Fisher’s lack of production at Marshall’s position. This is another recruitment UT fans will want to play out slowly.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park:

Info over the weekend on Perkins was interesting. There is one source that still believes Perkins will end up Texas A&M at the end of the day. Another source think Texas is a legitimate option due to the work of Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian. The entire Texas staff is working this one. While USC is trying hard to be in the hunt long term, Texas is battling LSU, Texas A&M, Alabama and maybe Florida — but Florida sources are acknowledging UF is a long shot.

WR Kevin Coleman, St Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)

In speaking with a source close to Coleman over the weekend, Alabama has an advantage over Texas and Arizona State currently. What provides Texas with an opportunity to upset the Crimson Tide is Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama. Alabama was a lock for Coleman prior to Sark taking the Texas job. Coleman wants to take visits, and UT will definitely get one when visits are restored, but if Coleman was picking today the smart bet would be on Bama.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore:

Texas ace recruiter Jeff Banks is becoming a key part of the Harris recruitment. In fact, Banks spoke with Harris’ mom on Saturday and the conversation was said to have been very positive. This is another ‘all hands on deck’ recruitment. The same source said while Harris’ mom prefers he stay close to home, Alabama is the one school she would be fine with her son attending farther from home. The appeal of Alabama is there with Denver and mother.

Defensive line recruiting: With the staff not quite having the same foothold on instate defensive line recruiting as some other positions, expect to see more players being evaluated and offered nationally.

Of the new offers, Khurtiss Perry (Park Crossing, Montgomery, AL) is engaging in positive conversations with the Longhorns, but he is from the state of Alabama, and is wanted by Alabama and Auburn. If you guys don’t hold your breath, IT won’t either for the composite #64 player in the nation.

Staying in the state of Alabama, Texas is inching closer to offering 2022 DE/T Justice Finkley of Hewitt-Trussville High. The composite #130 player in the nation wouldn’t be an easy pull, either, but would be worth the flyer.

Domonique Orange (North Kansas City) is another that is speaking regularly with defensive line coach Bo Davis. Oregon is currently considered the top competition for the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder. If Texas wins out, the Orange House nickname creates itself.

Texas also continues to have very positive dialogue with Brophy College Prep 2022 DT prospect Zac Swanson with the competition being out-of-state Pac-12 powers, and potentially Oklahoma.

The staff is also beginning to recruit a defensive line prospect out of the Tar Heel state, which IT will talk about at a later date if an offer gets close.

In-state, Texas is still receiving positive feedback from Kristopher Ross with a decision set for March 23rd. USC is the sleeper in this recruitment due to a strong family connection in L.A.

Texas quarterback commit visits Austin: Maalik Murphy was in Austin for the first time since attending Junior Olympics track and field events during his youth.

Photos of Murphy touring Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium with current Longhorn Bijan Robinson made the rounds on Saturday. The doors were unlocked, and no coaches were present. A precedent set by other Big 12 institutions means so long as there was no face-to-face contact with the coaches, no violation of the dead period recruiting rules occurred.

“It’s cool,” Murphy said Saturday of Austin. “It’s a great atmosphere. Everybody is nice. The food is great. I couldn’t be happier.”

Before he saw the sights and sounds of the Forty Acres, Murphy and quarterback trainer Danny Hernandez spent Saturday morning working at the indoor facility at Del Valle High School. Ohio State commit Caleb Burton, who was decked out in Buckeyes gear and is still recovering from an ACL injury suffered in the first game of the 2020 season, was one of several local receivers running routes for Murphy and a handful of other quarterbacks.

As usual, Murphy made the drills look easy. It’s par for the course for Murphy when there are no pads on. Still, he knows the effort he puts in during workouts will be beneficial for Junipero Serra High School's six-game spring season.

“I’m ready to prove it to myself that I can get out there and do what I do best.” Murphy said. “That’s be a leader, be a great teammate, and then be a great student to my coaches. On the field, being able to listen, and not letting anything get to my head. Really go out there and ball out, lead my team, and hopefully get us a couple of wins.”

The current knock against Murphy, for all of his superlatives, is that he simply has not showed off his ability in live games. For every clip of him hitting a receiver in stride anywhere on the field, there’s doubt about his ability to do it behind an offensive line with pass-rushers screaming down on him.

This isn’t lost on Murphy. He knows there is plenty to prove for him in the upcoming season without any “gimme games,” starting with Long Beach Poly on March 12.

“With a shorter season with less time, there is no room for error,” Murphy said. “No room for mistakes. Really need to get out there and be efficient immediately. There’s not enough time to warm up or have bad games. I’ll get out there and do what I do and succeed. Got to succeed.”

It’s an opportunity Murphy is ready to take advantage of. He spoke Saturday about how he wants to win for Serra, a team he has admired since he was four years old.

“I know that I can do it,” Murphy said. “I’ve had a couple of opportunities and might not have made the best out of each one, but it’s all good. It’s a new season. A new year. I’m ready to do it.”

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work closely with a certain previously committed 5 star QB's father (hint: its Quinn Ewers, for those who haven't been following recruiting closely like I have) and chatted with him a bit this after

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change.

Posted Images

Just now, Kanly said:

Eyes of Texas back in the news. Hope this doesn't blow back on recruiting too much.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/01/ut-eyes-of-texas-donors-emails/

Nothing in it is terribly surprising or new - other coaches will probably send out a fleet of screenshots, but Sark can just say "none of us were here for that and the issue is settled" and lowkey point at aggy's Sul Ross statue videos/OU frat racism shit/literally the whole history of every SEC school.

• Hook 'Em 5
9 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Not to brag, but I played a little DT way back in the day as a 230 lb double team collapsing fat kid, so I'm pretty much an expert on this stuff. The one thing I look for in DT highlight films is if they chase down a play away--it's something I rarely had the energy to do. This guy checks that box in a big way. Do want.

I like the motor, but man there was at leas 4-5 plays that would be no doubt late hits at the next level. Needs to rein in his aggression a bit.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Nothing in it is terribly surprising or new - other coaches will probably send out a fleet of screenshots, but Sark can just say "none of us were here for that and the issue is settled" and lowkey point at aggy's Sul Ross statue videos/OU frat racism shit/literally the whole history of every SEC school.

And to think, I walked my ass all the way over into the football board to give my opinion on it, because I could imagine texifornia et al spraying rag over anyone bringing it up here. I'm such a fool.

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Kate McGee seems like she sucks.

Is she a McAggee? Seems like she'd be an aggy. 

(last post from me here on this topic. sucks this topic will probably derail this thread)

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

By: IT Staff

- At the Pylon 7 on 7 tournament over the weekend, IT spent some time with former A&M linebacker Donnie Baggs. Baggs was a three-star recruit from Clear Springs who became a Cowboys UDFA signing after his days in College Station. Baggs was signed by Mike Sherman, but spent most of his career under Kevin Sumlin.

The first person he mentioned when he learned IT covered the Longhorns was Jeff Banks. “That guy right there...he is something. The energy, the intensity he coaches with. We went from Coach Polian over special teams, who is much more reserved, to Coach Banks [laughing]. What makes Banks different, along with his intensity, is he’s going to rip you when you mess up, but then he’ll come back and explain why he did. You know he really cares.”

This aligns with what IT has heard from Texas sources. The guy is a maniac in special teams meetings. He can cram an hour‘s worth of coaching in a 15 minute presentation. He acknowledges both the good and bad of a particular play and he’s 100 mph at all times.

RECRUITING

S Bryan Allen Jr, Aledo (TEXAS):

The four-star safety was supposed to announce today, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Eager to join UT’s 2022 class, Allen verbally pledged yesterday.

“I picked Texas because it felt right and I want to be a part of getting Texas back to a national spotlight,” Allen said. “(Our class) may go down in history.”

BJ Allen has thought about Sunday since he was 12 years old.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook:

While the 2022 class is trending nicely, Texas continues to set the pace with Anderson. The golden triangle product dropped his Top 5 over the weekend.

IT asked the four-star for one word that best describes each program for him.

“LSU: DBs

Texas A&M: Family

USC: Education

Michigan: Atmosphere

Texas: Is just Texas.”

After Anderson watched BJ Allen commit to Texas over the weekend, it might’ve only strengthened Anderson’s thoughts on the Horns. Wherever Anderson decides to commit, expect him to emerge as a class leader.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula, LA

At 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, the composite five-star athlete can play on both sides of the ball, but his future might be on the defensive side. Whether it’s safety, or more likely linebacker, you take his talent and figure out his best spot later.

Mathews says Florida, Texas, Michigan State, Memphis, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, Miami, and LSU are recruiting him the hardest. And he knows what he’s looking for.

“I’m looking for a school that trusts me to be a good example for their program,” Mathews said. “And trusts me to go win games on Saturdays. Most of all a school with a great communications program.”

As IT first reported Sunday, Mathews’ high school coach also coached Terry Joseph. Add in that Bryce Anderson has a growing friendship with the versatile prospect, and the Longhorns are beginning to trend favorably with Florida being the current slight favorite according to a source.

OL Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita

While Dewberry grew up a Texas fan, his favorite school starting the recruiting process was Ohio State. While Dewberry speaks with Ohio State regularly, and the family would like to make a student visit to Columbus, IT believes Ohio State will likely fall into the “too far from home” category at the end of the day. Oklahoma, however, does not fall into that category. The Sooners have a legit shot. Texas A&M also has a legit shot, and has been the favorite of one key family member. Texas is likely running third to Texas A&M and Oklahoma currently, according to a source close to the recruitment. The Longhorns need to “show” Dewberry and family what Texas football will be on the field this season. While Dewberry could move his commitment timeline up, this is one battle that could potentially go all the way to the December signing period. At this point, that would be a positive for UT.

For those wondering, IT still feels good with where Texas sits for Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie), Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek), and Connor Robertson (Austin Westlake). Texas is also in a good spot for Cole Hutson (Frisco) and still in it for Neto Umeozulu (Allen).

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (OU)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and staff are all in on trying to flip Hudson from rival Oklahoma. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound elite WR prospect continued to pose for pictures with the Horns down over the weekend, but a source very close to Hudson said people should continue to pay attention to Hudson’s recruitment. IT first reported that Hudson’s mom would like to see her son at Texas, and we are not backing off that nugget after speaking with a source on Saturday.

WR Chris Marshall, FB Marshall

One source over the weekend believes Marshall could pick Texas at the end of the day, but IT believes from speaking with a second source Texas A&M is the favorite in this recruitment and the 6-foot-3, 195-pounder picking the Longhorns would be fall into the upset category, as of today. While there’s some noise he could be nearing a decision, Marshall himself denies that as do others at Marshall high school. He wants to have a legitimate process. This one could go the way of Troy Omeire’s recruitment when factoring for Sarkisian’s usage of wide receivers compared to Jimbo Fisher’s lack of production at Marshall’s position. This is another recruitment UT fans will want to play out slowly.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park:

Info over the weekend on Perkins was interesting. There is one source that still believes Perkins will end up Texas A&M at the end of the day. Another source think Texas is a legitimate option due to the work of Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian. The entire Texas staff is working this one. While USC is trying hard to be in the hunt long term, Texas is battling LSU, Texas A&M, Alabama and maybe Florida — but Florida sources are acknowledging UF is a long shot.

WR Kevin Coleman, St Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)

In speaking with a source close to Coleman over the weekend, Alabama has an advantage over Texas and Arizona State currently. What provides Texas with an opportunity to upset the Crimson Tide is Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama. Alabama was a lock for Coleman prior to Sark taking the Texas job. Coleman wants to take visits, and UT will definitely get one when visits are restored, but if Coleman was picking today the smart bet would be on Bama.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore:

Texas ace recruiter Jeff Banks is becoming a key part of the Harris recruitment. In fact, Banks spoke with Harris’ mom on Saturday and the conversation was said to have been very positive. This is another ‘all hands on deck’ recruitment. The same source said while Harris’ mom prefers he stay close to home, Alabama is the one school she would be fine with her son attending farther from home. The appeal of Alabama is there with Denver and mother.

Defensive line recruiting: With the staff not quite having the same foothold on instate defensive line recruiting as some other positions, expect to see more players being evaluated and offered nationally.

Of the new offers, Khurtiss Perry (Park Crossing, Montgomery, AL) is engaging in positive conversations with the Longhorns, but he is from the state of Alabama, and is wanted by Alabama and Auburn. If you guys don’t hold your breath, IT won’t either for the composite #64 player in the nation.

Staying in the state of Alabama, Texas is inching closer to offering 2022 DE/T Justice Finkley of Hewitt-Trussville High. The composite #130 player in the nation wouldn’t be an easy pull, either, but would be worth the flyer.

Domonique Orange (North Kansas City) is another that is speaking regularly with defensive line coach Bo Davis. Oregon is currently considered the top competition for the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder. If Texas wins out, the Orange House nickname creates itself.

Texas also continues to have very positive dialogue with Brophy College Prep 2022 DT prospect Zac Swanson with the competition being out-of-state Pac-12 powers, and potentially Oklahoma.

The staff is also beginning to recruit a defensive line prospect out of the Tar Heel state, which IT will talk about at a later date if an offer gets close.

In-state, Texas is still receiving positive feedback from Kristopher Ross with a decision set for March 23rd. USC is the sleeper in this recruitment due to a strong family connection in L.A.

Texas quarterback commit visits Austin: Maalik Murphy was in Austin for the first time since attending Junior Olympics track and field events during his youth.

Photos of Murphy touring Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium with current Longhorn Bijan Robinson made the rounds on Saturday. The doors were unlocked, and no coaches were present. A precedent set by other Big 12 institutions means so long as there was no face-to-face contact with the coaches, no violation of the dead period recruiting rules occurred.

“It’s cool,” Murphy said Saturday of Austin. “It’s a great atmosphere. Everybody is nice. The food is great. I couldn’t be happier.”

Before he saw the sights and sounds of the Forty Acres, Murphy and quarterback trainer Danny Hernandez spent Saturday morning working at the indoor facility at Del Valle High School. Ohio State commit Caleb Burton, who was decked out in Buckeyes gear and is still recovering from an ACL injury suffered in the first game of the 2020 season, was one of several local receivers running routes for Murphy and a handful of other quarterbacks.

As usual, Murphy made the drills look easy. It’s par for the course for Murphy when there are no pads on. Still, he knows the effort he puts in during workouts will be beneficial for Junipero Serra High School's six-game spring season.

“I’m ready to prove it to myself that I can get out there and do what I do best.” Murphy said. “That’s be a leader, be a great teammate, and then be a great student to my coaches. On the field, being able to listen, and not letting anything get to my head. Really go out there and ball out, lead my team, and hopefully get us a couple of wins.”

The current knock against Murphy, for all of his superlatives, is that he simply has not showed off his ability in live games. For every clip of him hitting a receiver in stride anywhere on the field, there’s doubt about his ability to do it behind an offensive line with pass-rushers screaming down on him.

This isn’t lost on Murphy. He knows there is plenty to prove for him in the upcoming season without any “gimme games,” starting with Long Beach Poly on March 12.

“With a shorter season with less time, there is no room for error,” Murphy said. “No room for mistakes. Really need to get out there and be efficient immediately. There’s not enough time to warm up or have bad games. I’ll get out there and do what I do and succeed. Got to succeed.”

It’s an opportunity Murphy is ready to take advantage of. He spoke Saturday about how he wants to win for Serra, a team he has admired since he was four years old.

“I know that I can do it,” Murphy said. “I’ve had a couple of opportunities and might not have made the best out of each one, but it’s all good. It’s a new season. A new year. I’m ready to do it.”

Big fan of the news that Banks is taking on a bigger role in Harris' recruitment. Time to earn that million dollar salary. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

We have a few offers out to CA OL, but if we can land our share of elite in state Oline and DLine talent we should never be hurting at those positions to begin with. I am hoping we take 6 OL this year and let Flood remake that room as fast as he possibly can. I still say Sark would be really smart to give Mike Sherman a call for some sort of off field staff role. Special Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator/Minister of Hawaiian Shirts. 

Sherman is all about the breaks, though.

mikeshermansleeping.jpg

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

And to think, I walked my ass all the way over into the football board to give my opinion on it, because I could imagine texifornia et al spraying rag over anyone bringing it up here. I'm such a fool.

You were correct.

Donors: "We're so fucking mad. No more money."

Admin: "Lol, okay. We're firing Tom Herman, gimme buyout money"

Donors: "...............okay"

Who hold the cards? Pointing out that order of operations to recruits will be easy af, and on the recruiting board, that's really as far as we need to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Texas entering crowded mix for four-star wide receiver Chris Marshall

Spoiler

Texas entering crowded mix for four-star wide receiver Chris Marshall

NickHarris

HOUSTON — This past weekend, some of the best skill players in the state of Texas and from around the country flocked to C.E. King in Houston for Pylon's 7-on-7 tournament. One of a good handful of teams representing Houston was FAST Houston Supreme as their squad featured the likes of Jaydon Blue, Jaylon Guilbeau, Kevin Coleman, Chris Marshall and more.

Marshall, who saw a huge recruiting rise during his first season playing football last fall, is in his first 7-on-7 season and some could say that so far it has been more than successful. He has turned heads with freakish grabs and physical play on the outside as he continues to be a matchup nightmare on the circuit.

"Really loving this team, we're just bonding," Marshall said. "We're becoming a family and getting better every day. On the circuit, there's a lot of competition so we're just coming out and getting better every day. I'm trying to just improve on my route running and stuff like that."

On the recruiting side of things, Marshall continues to hear from multiple Power Five programs across the country as he has been able to maintain contact with the majority of the 21 schools that have offered. Since the new staff has been brought on at Texas, wide receivers coach Andre Coleman has made Marshall one of his top targets as the Longhorns continue to push hard into the spring.

"I talk to Coach Coleman and we have great conversations about the family there, what they want from me when I get there and stuff like that," he said. "I feel like a high priority for them right now."

However, Texas A&M has been the school with all of the buzz in the recruitment as they currently hold three Crystal Ball Predictions and have done a consistently great job at recruiting the big-bodied wideout.

"It's been real good with them too," he said. "Them two (A&M and Texas), that's another school I feel like I'm a high priority for. I'm just taking it day-by-day."

With his recruitment still being relatively young, Marshall plans on taking his time with the process and exploring all of his options moving forward.

"When we get a chance to take some visits, that's what I'm gonna be doing, but I'm in no rush to make a decision," he said.

USC, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Texas and Oregon are schools that Marshall mentioned as ones he will want to visit when the NCAA dead period is lifted. As of now, the current NCAA dead period is set to expire on May 31 barring another extension.

At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Marshall is the No. 185 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 23 wide receiver in the country and the No. 31 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Is she a McAggee? Seems like she'd be an aggy. 

(last post from me here on this topic. sucks this topic will probably derail this thread)

Being a thin-skinned loser who blames reporters for our donors being racists and then tries to have the last word as he runs away seems pretty aggy to me but what do I know, and please keep that shit out of here 🤣 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 21
Just now, Teryor said:

Being a thin-skinned loser who blames reporters for our donors being racists and then tries to have the last word as he runs away seems pretty aggy to me but what do I know, and please keep that shit out of here  

Sir, we sometimes joke about Aggy on here. Sorry it rubbed you the wrong way (I'm not). Had you replied back in the first place, I'd have just given you the middle finger back there. It's not thin-skinned, it's letting you know I saw your middle-finger and disagreed with it. 

Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

So to reset on WR recruiting, we'll take 4 or 5. Currently have Stewart & Winfield committed and have a reasonable shot at: 

McMillan - Coleman - C.J. Williams - Thompson - Hudson - Marshall

Any two out of those makes it a WR class that rivals Roy, BJ, Sloan right? Even if he may not be the driving force behind these recruitments, Andre Coleman is at least not a drag in recruiting on this staff.

• Hook 'Em 1
Just now, UncleSonny said:

So to reset on WR recruiting, we'll take 4 or 5. Currently have Stewart & Winfield committed and have a reasonable shot at: 

McMillan - Coleman - C.J. Williams - Thompson - Hudson - Marshall

Any two out of those makes it a WR class that rivals Roy, BJ, Sloan right? Even if he may not be the driving force behind these recruitments, Andre Coleman is at least not a drag in recruiting on this staff.

Still not sure what our chances on the first three are, especially since I don't think they've been able to visit yet. I'm so used to being the runner up in these out of state battles under Herman. It'll be nice if we can grab one of those guys.

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A similarly bland article on Marshall, from Perroni.  

In the comments ... 

image.thumb.png.ddd482e1f6f4e0c7d6bdab64d9e89d8f.png

"Whatever will we do if Thompson, Antwi and Marshall all want to commit" is some real Texas 2020 OL Recruiting energy.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Sir, we sometimes joke about Aggy on here. Sorry it rubbed you the wrong way (I'm not). Had you replied back in the first place, I'd have just given you the middle finger back there. It's not thin-skinned, it's letting you know I saw your middle-finger and disagreed with it. 

Carry on.

You're not addressing what I actually said, and guess what? Still aggy to blame others for the racism of our donors, and even more aggy to attack Tex who is one of the few people who actually contribute to this board. Even more to go through my post history and neg me because you're such a bitch you can't stand someone disagreeing with you and negging you 1st. But it's ok you said sir so surely that means you're gentleman that has the high ground of this discussion while being on the side of the racists. And don't use "we" to throw other people into your racist pool.

• Fuck You 20
14 minutes ago, Teryor said:

You're not addressing what I actually said, and guess what? Still aggy to blame others for the racism of our donors, and even more aggy to attack Tex who is one of the few people who actually contribute to this board. Even more to go through my post history and neg me because you're such a bitch you can't stand someone disagreeing with you and negging you 1st. But it's ok you said sir so surely that means you're gentleman that has the high ground of this discussion while being on the side of the racists. And don't use "we" to throw other people into your racist pool.

Sigh. Yes, I did address it. I don't blame aggy for it, because it was A JOKE. Like I said, we sometimes joke about Aggy here. No, I do not think aggy is behind it.

I did not "attack" texifornia. Holy hell, have you seen what attacks look like here? Yet again, just a joke, because Tex is one of our more serious posters here, especially on this specific board.

And like I said, I only negged you just as a "yah well fuck you, too!" And how's that being more of a bitch than you negging me just because you don't like my point? And who even gives a fuck about negs? I've got plenty of positive rep, I don't give a shit about losing a point to a humorless twit, I just wanted to say "Fuck you" back. 

That's it, I'm not gunna waste any more space on this thread. Let's get some 'croots

Edited by UncleBuck
46 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In the comments ... 

image.thumb.png.0c7c5dbcb0f808196beda51362faa258.png

He's good, but he's not in the discussion as the top WR in the state while Evan Stewart exists 

• Hook 'Em 3
1 minute ago, Fud said:

He's good, but he's not in the discussion as the top WR in the state while Evan Stewart exists 

Yah, I would think "in the discussion as the 2nd best." And I would love having the 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I had gotten the impression we were in the lead for Dewberry. Is Bama and A&M being ahead a recent development or have I been blinded by the sunshine pumping?

The update made it sound like mom or dad favors aggy. Probably why aggy has remained confident during our supposed surge

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

sure he is. 

Person 1) Who's the best WR in the state?

Person 2) Evan Stewart followed by Chris Marshall

Person 1) I agree. Good discussion!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A similarly bland article on Marshall, from Perroni.  

In the comments ... 

image.thumb.png.ddd482e1f6f4e0c7d6bdab64d9e89d8f.png

Of course they would. Jimbo has taken a 11 WRs in his 3+ classes so far. I guess it does help that 3 have already portaled, but taking 5+ in one class makes total sense for a LOS league.

1 minute ago, LarTXHorn said:

If Roach has him CB'd to Stanford that means he's already in grad school there with a tree tramp stamp tattoo.

Say that three times, quickly, and you win a Crystal Ball.

• Rage+1 1

Marshall is such an intriguing prospect to me. Obvious deep threat and great ball skills. I know Omeire has the potential to be that guy for us, but who was the last serious deep threat we had? Goodwin? Eagles showed flashes. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas still an option for four-star running back Jovantae Barnes

Warning: Some of you may find this content disturbing.  Or so a "birdie" told me.  To polite applause.  Har har.

(Ex:  Stan Drayton is the main point of contact for the Longhorns, and Barnes said he likes the way Drayton approaches his recruitment.

“I just love talking to him,” Barnes said.)

Spoiler

Texas still an option for four-star running back Jovantae Barnes

MikeRoach

LAS VEGAS — Jovantae Barnes is hard at work in the offseason improving his body. He’s also working through a busy recruitment. The four-star running back from Las Vegas (NV) Desert Pines is hearing from a ton of different schools and Texas is in that group as well.

“There’s a lot of schools that definitely recruit me hard,” he said. “USC, OU, Miami, Georgia, LSU and Alabama. Me and the Texas coach kind of have a strong bond. He doesn’t call me all the time but he calls me when it’s time to have a talk. Every talk is different. It’s not always about me being good at this or good at that but we just have different conversations about life and God. I love talking to him.”

Stan Drayton is the main point of contact for the Longhorns, and Barnes said he likes the way Drayton approaches his recruitment.

“I just love talking to him,” Barnes said. “He’s an all-around great energy guy. It’s not always about football. Obviously, they know it’s about football which is why they threw me an offer, but he asks about family and asks about my brother my sister my mom and my dad are doing good.”

Barnes lived for a period of time in the DFW area and knows what the University of Texas means to the state.

“I used to live in Rowlett,” he said. “I started playing flag football out there, so that’s the first time I ever touched the ball and got out there on the field. That’s the first time I ever became a running back, so I got love for Texas no matter what. One of my closest friends is out there. Texas is just an all-around good program. The coaches are great, and we’ve had different conversations every time, which I like. Taking a visit is one of the biggest factors in my recruitment so it’s kind of hard to say if they are going to be a top school or anything like that.”

Steve Sarkisian’s presence at Texas intrigues Barnes. Seeing the historical success of Alabama running backs in the past few years is encouraging to him.

“For sure,” he said. “You can see what Alabama does and how many running backs they have in the league who are actually doing something. It really stands out to me. Alabama always had a good offense and used their targets well. Texas with Sark, I can’t imagine what they are going to do.”

At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Barnes is ranked as the No. 8 running back in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Nevada, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2
5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Marshall is such an intriguing prospect to me. Obvious deep threat and great ball skills. I know Omeire has the potential to be that guy for us, but who was the last serious deep threat we had? Goodwin? Eagles showed flashes. 

Can Omeire be that guy? He's not exactly a burner.

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I mean, ball skills sure, but Omiere is nobody's deep threat. Some folks here thought he'd be a future TE. 

We've had a lot of guys who can get open deep, but it didn't matter because Ehlinger typically underthrew them all consistently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1
2 hours ago, texifornia said:

This is the answer.  If any rival school tries to use this to negative recruit, a simple google search will give us enough ammo to combat those methods. 

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Of course they would. Jimbo has taken a 11 WRs in his 3+ classes so far. I guess it does help that 3 have already portaled, but taking 5+ in one class makes total sense for a LOS league.

But they're not a LOS league.  Aggy & maybe Kentucky are the only ones playing this stone age 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  Even Georgia has finally realized that if they want to win that they have to get more electrifying through the air.  I can't begin to understand going to A&M if I'm a WR.