2021 State Fair

Rockethorn1978

Anyone have insight on what time gates actually open on Friday (or other non-game days)?  I typically take kids on Friday.  Pretty sure official opening is 10AM so we timed to get there around 9:45 and it was a total cluster F trying to park etc.   So want to go early but also don't want to get there at 9 and stand around for an hour.

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone have insight on what time gates actually open on Friday (or other non-game days)?  I typically take kids on Friday.  Pretty sure official opening is 10AM so we timed to get there around 9:45 and it was a total cluster F trying to park etc.   So want to go early but also don't want to get there at 9 and stand around for an hour.

google.com

9 am daily

WHAT ARE THE FAIR’S HOURS?

The 2021 State Fair of Texas will run September 24 – October 17, 2021. Gates will open Friday, September 24, at 10 a.m.

Hours of Operation
Sundays – Thursdays: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Fridays – Saturdays: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Parking Gates & Ticket Booths
Open daily at 9 a.m.

State Fair of Texas Midway and Fair Park Museum hours vary.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Skipper said:

We got there at 9:30 on a Sunday to get in the Texas Star line which opens at 10:00. 10 coupons per person, but you cant buy coupons (I think) or game credits (I'm sure) until 10:00a, so you may have the kids hold your spot in line if you don't have coupons from last year.

There are few things better than the Fair. But Big Tex has been and will always be one of the creepiest things on earth. Towering over everything, Dickie's hanging way too low, looking down upon the unsuspecting 15-year olds with that maniacal, deranged, and perverted 1/2 smile.  I thought he paid the ultimate price at 60 years of age when burning to a crisp in 2012.

Alas, he didn't change a bit and the next iteration was just as weird-looking as the previous. 

image.png.a90f626da8844cfecc78e677ce8a8f4f.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LonghornJones said:

We got there at 9:30 on a Sunday to get in the Texas Star line which opens at 10:00. 10 coupons per person, but you cant buy coupons (I think) or game credits (I'm sure) until 10:00a, so you may have the kids hold your spot in line if you don't have coupons from last year.

Thanks.  So was anything "open" at 9:30 or nothing really until 10.  We do have some extra coupons from 2019

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

There are few things better than the Fair. But Big Tex has been and will always be one of the creepiest things on earth. Towering over everything, Dickie's hanging way too low, looking down upon the unsuspecting 15-year olds with that maniacal, deranged, and perverted 1/2 smile.  I thought he paid the ultimate price at 60 years of age when burning to a crisp in 2012.

Alas, he didn't change a bit and the next iteration was just as weird-looking as the previous. 

image.png.a90f626da8844cfecc78e677ce8a8f4f.png

81C3CCF3-19A6-4534-BD91-5460E383C3B6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Went on Monday, and tried the "Pork Shots" at Hans Mueller.  Good...but not worth $12 or whatever.  Would not get again.  Now the Curly Fries at the vendor immediately to the right of Hans Mueller...slammed so fucking hard we all went back for seconds.

Had several items today:

Dallas Hot Birddog - 7/10. Tasty alternative but can’t touch the original but I must have that for the first time 8 am tomorrow.

Gumbo Balls - 7.5/10. Quite tasty and pretty solid size. Not worth $25 though but if you have a group of four and all throw in and eat half a ball and some okra, tasty.

Fried chicken Alfredo ball - 9/10. This was great, a solid amount of food for $12 also. Strong recommend.

Peach cobbler soul rolls - 10/10. Soooo good. Do it.

Coffee toffee crunch cake. - 6.5/10. Solid but dense and filling quick.

Frozen spiked frappucino - 6.5/10. Also solid, tasted like a Baileys and coffee, cool and refreshing but just felt a bit basic.

Fried frito pie bites - 9.5/10. Do this every year, do it if you haven’t.

Fried pancakes - 7/10. Tasty but get filling fast also. A lot for the $8.

More tomorrow!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Had several items today:

Dallas Hot Birddog - 7/10. Tasty alternative but can’t touch the original but I must have that for the first time 8 am tomorrow.

Gumbo Balls - 7.5/10. Quite tasty and pretty solid size. Not worth $25 though but if you have a group of four and all throw in and eat half a ball and some okra, tasty.

Fried chicken Alfredo ball - 9/10. This was great, a solid amount of food for $12 also. Strong recommend.

Frozen spiked frappucino - 6.5/10. Also solid, tasted like a Baileys and coffee, cool and refreshing but just felt a bit basic.

More tomorrow!

goddamn how much did all that set you back? 

Edited by Bill Brasky

goddamn how much did all that set you back? 

We have four of us and split a lot of it. I had $140 in coupons from 2019, which is now worth $280. I have about $185 left now. Multiple bottles of water were listed and not consumed and a free lemonade at Fletchers as an apology for the wait on the bird dog. It was only about 7 minutes though. Really nothing too bad on speed of service except the gumbo balls.

Gates open tomorrow at 7:00 am

Just saw it on the news tonight.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:06 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Had several items today:

More tomorrow!

Saturday's haul:

Fletcher's Original - 10/10. Perfection, as always.

Fried Butter with cinnamon sugar - 9/10. This is our 1-2 punch every Saturday at 8am for this game. Never disappoints.

Bacon Jam Corn Bombs - 6.5/10. Fine, but we were expecting home run. 

Fla'Mango Tango - 7.5/10. Had in 2019, was 9.5/10 then, still good, but not as special. Quite tasty and refreshing though.

Fernie's Fried Burnt End Burrito - 8.5/10, was also 9.5/10 in 2019. Still quite great as a chill in The Dock after the game and split treat to restart the food train.

Quesabirria - 6.5/10. Fine, nothing super special or outstanding, but tasty.

Lemon Ice Box Pie Rolls - 8/10, they were out of the cream topping, which really would have been great. Very tasty, but a tad dry, so the cream might have taken them next level.

Fletcher's Texan (brisket) - 9/10. Totally good, but the original is just the king, period.

Fried Grilled Cheese. - 6/10. My dad got this, it always sounds amazing, but the crust is less crispy and more greasy than I want. 

Texas Easter Eggs - 7/10. Wanted these to be crispier/meatier, but they were more cream cheese consistency. Wife loved them. The spicy ranch or whatever to dip was good. 

Brisket Banh Mi - 6/10.  Too much bread, brisket was just OK. Could eat it totally fine if presented as the only option, but not worth the coops/stomach space, sadly.

The Armadillo - 7.5/10. Good flavor for sure, was a touch melty and tough to eat out of a paper bag. Pretty huge, as it should be for $16. 

Also 4 waters, 2 choco milks, a sweet tea, and a Shiner, all lovingly layered on a bed of Elijah Craig and THC. 

• Drool 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:06 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Had several items today:

More tomorrow!

Monty Python Fat Man Explodes GIFs | Tenor