Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Dang a great tight end would really help the Texas offense. Since some of you recruiting folks don't wander to the football board, I'm cross-posting this great info from @satyanash 

NFL 2019 stats for frequency of personnel groupings (below Tweet)

The entire NFL spent the better part of the 2019 season in 11 personnel. That’s five offensive linemen, one quarterback, one running back (first digit in 11), one tight end (second digit in 11), and three wide receivers. Texas fans will recognize that as the preferred personnel grouping for Tom Herman’s offense and many have started to develop an irrational distaste for it that mirrors the decades-old hatred for “bubble screens.”  A major aspect of pro-spread is an emphasis on 11 personnel. It also means an emphasis on pro-style schemes and the use of drop back passing where the quarterback goes through progressions behind an offensive line executing pass protections. 

For the complete write-up, here's post by Saty

Not reading that shit, and not giving any credence to Ian Boyd. That being said I love the idea of 11 personnel. I’m all for it, I’m all for Tom Herman’s offense. The problem is the stubborn fuck running it insistently when he doesn’t have the personnel for it. Why put Jake Smith on the field when you can play Malcolm Epps? It’s another outlet and illustration of his stubborn ego versus common sense. I’m hopeful Jared Wiley gives us a real option for an effective 11 personnel this season. Assuming he hasn’t grown into a tackle. If he has Tom will surely still play him at TE anyway...But at least that will be better than playing Leitao. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Listening to the OB podcast.. Such and Ketch were getting into a lil piss fight when it came to 2021 recruiting.. Such said Texas was about to get a WR from FL who never visited campus.. Not sure if that was a slip or if he was just saying that in his debate with Geoff.  

Just now, Thiefery said:

Listening to the OB podcast.. Such and Ketch were getting into a lil piss fight when it came to 2021 recruiting.. Such said Texas was about to get a WR from FL who never visited campus.. Not sure if that was a slip or if he was just saying that in his debate with Geoff.  

I don't usually post the OB drivel, but this is an interesting war room

TL;DR: Such thinks we lead with Alexis, we're still recruiting Fatheree and JoJo, Harmon is aggy bound, the whole coaching staff is doing calls with the Brocks

Spoiler

(From Anwar)

Recruiting has been the biggest Longhorn topic for the past seven days.

Texas received verbal commitments from running back Jonathon Brooks and receiver Casey Cain last week. Neither guy had a ton of major offers. Texas Tech was listed on Brooks’ offer list, along with Texas State, Houston Baptist, UTSA, and Louisiana. Cain, who is from New Orleans, had offers from schools like Houston, Virginia, Memphis, Vanderbilt Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, and Hawaii. Those commitments occurred the same day Oklahoma picked up four-star linebacker Clayton Smith, a player Texas coveted, and 5-star receiver Mario Williams.

The recent acquisitions seemingly indicated a lack of recruiting momentum by Tom Herman’s new staff. Tight end Landen King was the Longhorns’ first verbal commitment of the 2020 calendar year when he announced on April 26. Defensive end Jordan Thomas verbally committed May 2, linebacker Morice Blackwell followed on May 10, and Texas acquired two players last week. Each player is currently a three-star with potential. However, the highest ranked player on Ketch’s LSR is Thomas (No. 37).

As a result, many Longhorn fans and recruiting observers have questioned the recruiting direction of the program. During a recent podcast, Jason Suchomel said Texas was in contention for many elite in-state players. However, Suchomel did not believe Texas was in the clear lead for any of those high-profile players. Considering it is May, and there is not much to talk about, Longhorn recruiting is currently a hot topic.

Nevertheless, those associated with the program remain optimistic about the 2021 class.

I had conversations with multiple sources this week, and their view was different than those outside the building. They acknowledged Smith’s verbal commitment to Oklahoma came as a surprise because the linebacker was expected to wait several months before making a decision. That being said, nobody believed the sky was falling.

One source started the conversation by reminding me of the players Texas currently has committed. In fact, that person actually used Ketch’s LSR to prove his point.

If you look at the top 10, Texas has verbal commitments from defensive end Ja’Tavion Sanders (No. 4), athlete Billy Bowman (No. 5) and dual-threat quarterback Jalen Milroe (No. 7). Texas has more top-10 commitments off that list than any program in the country. The only other top-10 players who have committed are guard Donovan Jackson (No. 3/Ohio State) and Smith.

In addition, Rivals ranks Texas’ current class as 12th in the country. Oklahoma is currently ranked 26th. To be fair, Texas has 11 commitments compared to Oklahoma’s seven, meaning the Sooners will eventually rise in the rankings. However, I was told Texas intends to sign a full class in 2021. That means Texas should easily finish within the top 10, and there is a shot the Longhorns could rank within the top five. Texas signed 19 players in its 2020 class, which affected it ranking.

After I was reminded of where Texas currently stood, they focused on another topic that I previously alluded to.

Five of the remaining top players in Texas have not committed. Again, I am using Ketch’s list.

No. 1 – OT Tommy Brockermeyer

No. 2 – RB Camar Wheaton

No. 6 – G Bryce Foster

No. 9 – T Savion Byrd

No. 10 – DE Shemar Turner

My sources believe Texas has a chance to land each player for various reasons. Longhorn offensive line coach Herb Hand has a solid relationship with Brockermeyer. Running backs coach Stan Drayton and special teams coordinator Jay Boulware have recruited Wheaton for multiple years (Boulware coached running backs at Oklahoma). Meanwhile, Texas is still in contention for Foster, Byrd and Turner.

Everyone I spoke to this week is optimistic Texas can snag at least three players within the top 10.

In addition, the Longhorns are hopeful they can flip receiver JoJo Earle from LSU (Suchomel will have more on this), and there has been progress in the recruitment of receiver Ketron Jackson, two players outside of the top 10.

Basically, it is a long time between now and signing day in December.

Clearly, Herman’s staff must constantly pursue the remaining in-state players.

Just know nobody inside the building is ready to push the panic button yet.

Even though the Longhorn are focused on getting Earle to flip in the future, one source painted a very realistic picture for me.

One reason Texas is handing out more scholarship offers this year than usual is because the staff does not want to play catch up. During meetings throughout the offseason, the coaches and support staff have been focused on making sure coveted prospects are aware of UT’s interest. Herman’s staff is in constant contact with recruits across the country in an effort to cover as much ground as possible.

Those responsible for recruiting remember what happened last year.

Texas decided to offer Duncanville defensive back Ennis Rakestraw in January. Rakestraw took an official visit three weeks later, but committed to Missouri on signing day. Rakestraw said the reason he signed with Missouri was because the coaches recruited him before he became major prospect. He rewarded their loyalty with his commitment.

In fact, the most notable flip before signing day was offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin, who was expected to attend Baylor, or linebacker Jaylan Ford, who flipped his pledge from Utah to Texas very late in the process last year.

The Longhorns are still recruiting Earle, but trying to get ahead with the other top prospects remaining.

There is one recruiting challenge everybody Herman’s staff is trying to overcome right now.

When Herman decided to overhaul his staff after last season, he spent months interviewing and hiring coaches with a reputation of developing players. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich was a guy who studied under Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, one of the best developers of talent within the country. Defensive coordinator Chris Ash was known for developing players at Ohio State. Longhorn receivers fell in love with Andre Coleman during practice for the Alamo Bowl, which prompted Herman to lift the interim tag. Herman also hired Mark Hagen (defensive line/assistant head coach for defense), Coleman Hutzler (co-defensive coordinator/linebackers), Jay Valai (cornerbacks), and Boulware (special teams coordinator).

Herman anticipated those coaches would have an entire offseason to develop the 2020 team.

There was no way Herman could have anticipated a global pandemic that would cancel spring practice and summer workouts.

There will also a number of recruiting events canceled that could have given these coaches a chance to connect with high school athletes:

--- Visiting high school campuses and talking to coaches in the spring

--- Watching a recruit during a high school spring practice

--- Junior Day

--- Stars at Night recruiting event

--- Official visits in the spring

--- Unofficial visits in the spring

--- Spring game (major recruiting event)

--- JMBYLA weekend

--- Texas Heat Wave pool party

--- Satellite camps (highly coveted recruits do not participate, but sometimes show up to visit coaches)

The lack of those events means Herman’s staff is trying to establish relationships through FaceTime and Zoom meetings, while they are competing against coaches who have previously visited recruits and their families face-to-face. Many players have never seen members of Herman’s staff in person. They definitely did not have a chance to watch spring practice to see what the new offense or defense looks like. That is not an easy sell to a kid who has been recruited by the same coaching staff, and taken unofficial visits to different campuses, for multiple years.

“It a huge challenge, but we can overcome it,” a source told me.

The current plan is to get on as many FaceTime and Zoom calls as possible until players can visit campus again. Texas is also sending recruits numerous videos, graphics, and edits to help recruiting.

My sources believe the top prospects will wait until they can take visits this season before committing. That means a strong start to the season could help give Texas the boost it needs to obtain several top prospects.

I will keep you posted.

(From Suchomel)

I touched on wide receiver Jaden Alexis in the 3-2-1 this week but a bit more from the Coconut Creek (FL) Monarch speedster for those who missed it.

Alexis, about a month ago, told another Rivals.com site that the in-state Miami Hurricanes were the team to beat for his commitment. After some conversations with the UT staff, including a virtual visit in which he met with the coaches, met with UT’s academic team, saw the facilities, got a feel for the city of Austin, etc., I’m not so sure that’s the case. In fact, after talking to Alexis this week, if I’m making a pick right now it would probably be Texas.

The distance factor is one that gives a bit of reason for pause (Coconut Creek is less than an hour away from Miami) but Alexis is a different type of guy than most his age in that he’s taking a very mature approach about his future and truly understands what a school like Texas can do for him beyond the football field. On top of being a very good football player, Alexis sports a 4.3 GPA and is his junior class president at his school.

I asked him about the previous comments he issued regarding Miami being the team to beat …

“Miami is great, the coaches are great. The offenses are going to be pretty similar with (Texas OC Mike) Yurcich and (Miami OC Rhett) Lashlee, but for me it comes down to what kind of assets they put in the program, and they’re very different what they do for their players with Texas and Miami,” Alexis said. “It really comes down to who makes me more comfortable. I do kind of want to get away from South Florida narrative.”

Alexis specifically said he’s always lived in Florida, and he wants to see the world a bit, experience new places and new people. The city of Austin and UT’s reach is very intriguing to him, he wants to study business and the lure of the UT’s business school is another check mark for Texas.

Alexis said he could commit in a month or two, basically whenever it hits him. What the hell … my FutureCast is in for Texas.

If Texas is able to add Alexis, that would give the Longhorns two wide receiver commitments in the 2021 cycle, with Alexis joining recent commitment Casey Cain. If you’re looking for an option for a third guy, the smart money would probably be on Rivals250 prospect Ketron Jackson. I’m told the staff, including Tom Herman, had a productive meeting with Jackson this week.

Teddy Knox is still on the board as well, and word is Texas continues to communicate with LSU commitment JoJo Earle and there’s optimism behind the scenes that Texas still has a shot there if things go well.

I caught up with Texas offensive line commitment Hayden Conner this week to check in, and it sounds like the Katy Taylor standout has been staying busy during the pandemic shutdown.

“I was actually fortunate enough to have a bench and squat rack and a cable machine in my garage. So that's kind of been me and my dad's project, cleaning out the garage. We ended up cleaning it out maybe two weeks into quarantine,” Conner said. “So I've been working out every day, just been on a regular schedule. Nothing's really changed for me except that I didn’t get to have spring football or go to school.

“I’m definitely getting stronger, putting on more mass and then just staying light on my feet. I'm doing footwork three times a week. I'm doing offensive line stuff during the week. I'm staying active. I'm going up to the field with my team once or twice a week just messing around, hanging out and bonding. So I've been staying active.”

Conner has been an active recruiter for Texas ever since he committed back in July of last year. Lately, he’s been involved in some Zoom video conference calls with Texas OL coach Herb Hand and some other offensive line prospects.

“Of course, I'm staying active with the guys that are already committed in our group chats and stuff. I actually ended up reaching out to coach Hand and asking for the Brockermeyers’ numbers and Reuben Fatheree’s number and Savion Byrd’s number. And we had a meeting,” Conner said. “I had a meeting with Bryce (Foster), Reuben and coach Hand last week and then I had a separate meeting with the Brockermeyers, coach Hand and literally the entire coaching staff. Savion wasn’t able to attend. It was awesome. I'm staying active as much as I can with recruiting my position and my class. I just feel like it's time to amp up the recruiting on my end for my position, because we have to lock in the most important position.”

And how did Conner feel it went on those calls?

“I feel like it’s going really well. Having a meeting and meeting James and Tommy for the first time was really good,” Conner said. “They seem like really genuine guys and guys that I would want to go to war with. Obviously Bryce and Reuben I'm comfortable with, I’d go to war with them too. I think they're all fantastic. But I think what's most important is how we get along with each other.

“The number one message that I preach, and the rest of the commits preach, is that we need to keep Texas talent in Texas. I’m tired of seeing these dudes go to Oklahoma and Florida and Alabama and they're from Texas. It's irritating. We need to represent the state of Texas the best way we possibly can.”

Speaking of James Brockermeyer, I caught up with the Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal standout and new Rivals250 member to talk about those Zoom meetings and a few other recruiting topics.

Brockermeyer said he and brother Tommy have actually had a couple Zoom meetings with the UT staff over the last couple weeks. The entire coaching staff was involved in one and James said it was a positive experience overall.

“It was the whole staff. Hayden was on too. We just planned it, then every coach kind of gave their own individual pitch. It was good,” Brockermeyer said. “I haven’t met all the coaches, with some of them coming in new. It was a productive meeting.”

As Conner said above, the message to the Brockermeyer brothers focused on keeping top talent in the state of Texas.

“They just want us to stay home, continue the family legacy of being a Texas Longhorn,” Brockermeyer said. “They were just talking about the way they’re going to be developing players. Talking about Sam Cosmi being projected in the first round for next year, just giving a good example of they can develop players and coach Hand’s experience.”

It’s been talked about before that the Brockermeyer brothers are watching closely how each program their considering performs on the field, and they’re also paying attention to which programs develop offensive line talent for the NFL.

“It for sure is,” James said when asked if development of players is as big of a factor as people make it out to be. “It’s pretty hard not to pay attention to it. The (NFL) draft, you pay attention to stuff like that. But at the same time, it’s a new staff (at Texas), it’s not Charlie Strong. Most of the guys have been Charlie Strong’s guys. Herman is has been there almost four years, so he’s just starting to get his guys in there.”

James had told me in previous conversations that he wanted to commit before his senior season began. In a perfect world, he said that would still be the case, but a summer decision is only likely to happen if the NCAA lets prospects take visits this summer. If not, an early decision could still happen since James and Tommy have already seen the schools they’re considering, but James said he’s hopeful they can give each program another close look.

“I’d rather take official visits, but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for me (to commit without officials). We’ve seen all these schools before,” Brockermeyer said. “Some of these kids haven’t been able to visit thee schools, but we got lucky before everything collapsed that we saw all these places.”

I asked James if any program has done anything during this pandemic that has been different than the others. Texas is the only school that’s done a complete staff meeting, he said. Alabama had a “really productive” meeting focusing on their strength and conditioning program and involving the Tide’s new S&C coach. Texas strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight was on a call with the brothers, their parents and Herb Hand last week.

This one feels to me like a decision has yet to be made, and it still feels like a tight race. Alabama can sell championships and development of players, whereas Texas has things in its back pocket like family history, academics and being part of getting the UT program back on top. You’ve seen a lot of pundits predict Alabama as the team to beat due to its winning ways, but James said there’s much more that goes into this decision than just picking a program based on wins and losses.

“It’s definitely something we take into consideration, but there are a lot of other factors that play into this,” he said. “That’s one of the major things to consider when you’re making a decision, but there are also a lot of other things. There are pros and cons to every single school out there. There’s not one school that has everything that’s perfect.”

Cornerback Deuce Harmon created a bit of a stir earlier this week when he put on Instagram a short video clip of him on the UT campus. The rumor mill quickly kicked into overdrive with speculation of what it meant, especially since we’re in a dead period and coaches can’t interact with players.

The good news is that Harmon had a strong enough interest that he wanted to get to Austin to get a feel for the campus and the ongoing stadium upgrades. The bad news … Texas is still in a trailing position on this one.

“My parents have a store in Waco, so we just drove through Austin,” Harmon said of how the visit came about. “It was just so we could drive around, take a look at the new renovations, the things that they’re adding.

“It was good. It was definitely different than a small college town. It was a lot bigger, a lot more to look at.”

This wasn’t the first time Harmon has been on the Forty Acres, but he said it was the first time on campus in a while, probably since his brother was being recruited for basketball. This week’s visit was the first time he’d actually walked around campus (the UT staff gave him a map before he got there to help show him some of the key areas).

“I could definitely see myself there. It was hard not being able to go inside. But just walking around, I could definitely see myself in Austin,” Harmon said.

The 5-10, 185-pound Harmon is looking to make a decision very soon. I wouldn’t expect this one to go on beyond another week or two as it stands right now. Harmon said Texas is “definitely one of (his) top schools),” and he does have an idea of where he’ll commit to.

The thing that could be setting Texas back in this one is that he hasn’t really taken a recruiting visit to UT. The good news … wherever Harmon picks, he still wants to take visits to other campuses once things open up so he can make sure he made the right decision. If he doesn’t pick Texas on his initial commitment, there’s a really good chance he shows up on campus at a future date for a more detailed visit.

Harmon is close with UT target JD Coffey and while the two have talked about playing together, Harmon said he also knows he has to look out for his own best interest.

“Me and JD have been talking a lot. We’ve been saying it would be nice for us to go to a school together. I talked to him a couple weeks ago, saying I’m going to go with what’s the best fit for me though,” Harmon said.

Right now, most signs point to Coffey picking Texas and Harmon picking A&M. If that happens, the thing to watch will be whether or not the Longhorns (and Coffey) can continue to get a look from Harmon in the long run. The guess here is they will.

• Like 1

This period of anguish reminds me of last June, early July before they went on a run.  Not saying we will be going on a run like that again this summer, but the lows feel like the lows of a year ago.  Again, it's time to actually show results, you can only sell the future for so long.  New coaches, new relationships? Tough, just go out and ball.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This period of anguish reminds me of last June, early July before they went on a run.  Not saying we will be going on a run like that again this summer, but the lows feel like the lows of a year ago.  Again, it's time to actually show results, you can only sell the future for so long.  New coaches, new relationships? Tough, just go out and ball.

Which is funny because we've added 5 dudes in 30 days. I'd call that a run. We're just simultaneously missing out on guys that are running away. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

The difference between last year and this years is last years we were coming off an exciting season. This year we’re coming off a stale fart and an entirely new coaching staff save 3 guys and a stench of incompetence. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Which is funny because we've added 5 dudes in 30 days. I'd call that a run. We're just simultaneously missing out on guys that are running away. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The difference between last year and this years is last years we were coming off an exciting season. This year we’re coming off a stale fart and an entirely new coaching staff save 3 guys and a stench of incompetence. 

You two obviously aren't friends of the program..  

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

You two obviously aren't friends of the program..  

All joking aside, I’d argue I’m a better friend to the program then 80% of the employees there that spend their time whistling past the graveyard and justifying the situation we’re in these days. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

True story. Someone mentioned our bowl win the other day and I paused to think if we even won the bowl game. I couldn’t even remember who we played and had to look it up. Maybe it’s because I’m old or all the other shit going on but beating Utah didn’t get etched in my memory.

52 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

True story. Someone mentioned our bowl win the other day and I paused to think if we even won the bowl game. I couldn’t even remember who we played and had to look it up. Maybe it’s because I’m old or all the other shit going on but beating Utah didn’t get etched in my memory.

Playing your bowl on NYE night will do that.

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Jeremy Clark put in a CB for Ketron Jackson to Arkansas

Just now, Getafix said:

In the last 3 classes (19/20/21), Troy Omeire is the only receiver ranked in the top 5 WRs from the state of Texas, that we've landed. (He just made it into the top 5 - was #5 in '20.)

Andre Coleman is the new Giles. 

• Like 2

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Herman, Yurcich, Hutzler, and the recruiting big board

Before you pay respects to our fallen soldiers and get some sun with family and friends, check out the Humidor. There are still unknowns surrounding the season in general, and plenty around the Texas program per the “new normal“ of the last decade, but there’s a lot of optimism that we feel is justified. Of course many of the concerns are every bit as justified, if not more so. It wouldn’t be Texas football without that tension.

HERMACULTURE

This week we’ll take a look at the mixed bag that is Herman’s clinic for high school coaches. I’ll see you on the other side. Herman's clinic focused on building program culture. There were a lot of details on how to make rules for the team, how to create a consistent message from the staff to the team, and to foster a tight-knit group across the roster. He mentioned the importance of consistent messaging when the staff describes the Texas way of doing things, with every staff member or Texas employee maintaining the same values, phrasing, and accountability in every phase of the program.

The position coaches are the ones primarily responsible for making sure that works. Herman even mentioned a moment when he realized that he was betraying himself by always telling the team to ignore outside noise until they were the underdogs in a big game. Then he'd give the "nobody believes in us!" speech, which he realized was inconsistent with telling the team to ignore outside noise.

So now the consistent message is "prove us right," an expression which is designed to get the kids to focus on letting the team's values and work speak for itself with how they play on the field. He also talked about the 1-0 mentality and the importance of players trusting each other to uphold their end of the deal in terms of preparedness and work ethic. If the players can't trust each other to give it a good go, and they don't trust the coaches to actually lead them to wins, then it becomes impossible for them to be committed to a challenging process.

Coach clearly believes strongly in fighting every day to maintain the culture across the team and mentioned multiple times how hard it was to instill it in the squad in the first place. He said the team didn't even know what hard work was and told the story of an an unnamed quarterback that he said was one of the most coachable kids he's ever led. He was trying to push the kid to give more in a winter drill and the quarterback responded that he was "doing his best." That led to Herman stopping the whole drill. He brought the team in to emphasize that the new staff were the experts on what championship effort and work ethic looks like and that the team needed to learn.

I wonder to what extent Herman was able to fight for his culture last year while splitting his time as an offensive coordinator. I'd guess he believes this was the major limiting factor in 2019 because he repeatedly stressed how hard you have to fight as the head coach to maintain the culture. Herman also got into some big picture strategy for winning games. He repeated his point about how champions have to play good defense and noted that the lowest ranked defenses to win titles were the 2010 Auburn Tigers and 2019 LSU Tigers, both of whom ranked top 32 in total defense. Everyone else in the BCS era was top 20.

To that end, he said they tell the offense every time they go on the field that the goal is to get two first downs. If they can do that then a punt will be okay and they'll play for field position and wait for their opportunity. He talked about how they won 10 games in 2018 virtually by never committing turnovers, playing good special teams, and winning on 3rd downs and in the red zone on both sides of the ball.

Later he mentioned the importance of explosive gains as well. It'll be interesting to see if those play a larger role in the formula now that Mike Yurcich is calling plays while Herman is enforcing the culture. To me it’s clear that Herman knows how to run a program. I think culture is easily his greatest strength. As there is every offseason, there’s evidence he’s learned from the most recent season. But there’s still some hard-wiring in his operating system that makes you wonder if he’s going to be able to win the shootouts he’s destined for.

That point about what happens if the players don’t trust the coaches is encouraging. We mentioned that as a very big issue last year. The players were doing everything asked of them by the coaches but it wasn’t working. The coaches were not putting players in position to succeed. That hurt trust in the coaches significantly. It could be telling that Herman acknowledged this.

The line about getting two first downs and a punt being okay is instructive to why Texas so often finds itself in close games, even when playing inferior opponents. If two first downs and a punt is okay, surely that mindset biases the play calling. He doesn’t give himself margin of error. “If we do these 15 things perfectly, gang, we’re going to have a really, really good chance to win.” Just go step on their throat and score the ball. Be the Tom that DGAF. That will help your defense more than getting two first downs. It may read like I’m writing to “run the touchdown play,” but really I’m just writing, “you’re in the Big 12, you have to score. It’s a mindset that starts at the top.”

MIKE YURCICH

The new Texas offensive coordinator understands the needed Big 12 mindset. Most sources I’ve talked to believe he understands the Big 12 mindset. Whether it’s talking to the parents of recruits, team sources, or football people in general, I keep hearing something to the effect of “Herman needs to give Yurcich room to do his own thing.” It isn’t a coincidence that Ian’s Gameplan on Thursday delicately touched on these concerns. There is a lot of optimism in Yurcich emanating from the team. But there is also concern Herman will place a governor on him.

FROM ORLANDO TO HUTZLER

We have a pretty good idea of what trading Todd Orlando for Chris Ash will mean for defensive coordinator, but what about linebacker? That improvement should be just as big. These clinics have proved especially useful for one of our contacts who is now familiar with both Orlando and Hutzler. “Coleman Hutzler’s [clinic] was the best by far. Hutzler’s was awesome. He’s detailed, but he doesn’t talk more than he needs to. He says what he needs to and moves on.”

“There’s stuff that they were harping on that was different than what Orlando was harping on. I worked those camps with Orlando. The stuff that he (Orlando) would talk about is different than the stuff that Hutzler would talk about. Orlando would spend 10 minutes talking about Mike Tyson being a prizefighter and knocking the **** out of people. Hutzler talked about how you don’t need to bend that guy back every single time. Sometimes you can shoot your hands real quick and get around him. Your job isn’t to blow him up, it’s to go make the tackle. Orlando, it was like your job is to **** that guy up and then go destroy the ball carrier. Hutzler is like there are certain times you need to go through them and you’ve got to be more physical, there’s other times where you can kind of keep separation, get around him, and still go make the play.”

“It’s little things like that I noticed. Orlando was more you’re going to go destroy this guy, replace, then make the tackle. Hutzler, he shares a lot of Bobby Wagner tape, which everybody does now. He showed ‘this is the same guy using a different technique. Now here he is throwing back some 300 pound offensive linemen, but here he is shooting his hand and getting around him.‘ It’s stuff like that. Why you’re doing it, and putting more tools in your pocket instead of just ‘go destroy this guy’ every single play.”

Orlando is still the guy in his Wisconsin profile pic.

STATE OF RECRUITING

It looks like football could return soon as voluntary workouts in the Texas high school ranks appear set to begin on June 8th. Considering the current recruiting trends for UT’s class of 2021, that indicates a move in the right direction. It signals normalcy and the hope prospects can visit Austin soon enough, and the new staff can begin evaluating in person with high school practices only a few months away. These coaches need personal interaction to properly build relationships.

This pandemic hasn’t helped Tom Herman’s timing of a 70 percent staff overhaul. Relationships and results remain the bedrock in recruiting and Texas hasn’t had much to show in the last nine months as far as on-field performance. Schools are pointing out these factors to prospects at a rapid rate. See: Tunmise Adeleye and Clayton Smith. Even while sitting at 11 commitments and a Top 10ish (8th-247, 12-Rivals, 10-ESPN) national ranking, there’s some trepidation surrounding the current class’ standing. Player floors seems higher while ceilings are shorter in some cases.

Some pledges are underrated and will likely experience strong senior seasons that will serve to correct their ranking. See: Morice Blackwell. In some positions, Texas seems to be trending in a good direction. In others, it remains to be seen. Let’s get caught up on the #trUTh21 big board. **inserts obligatory ‘if Texas wins in 2020, this will improve drastically’**

QB - Jalen Milroe (Katy Tompkins): UT’s leader for the class is not only improving with weekly sessions with QB training, but he’s being proactive to UT-specific Targets.

Current status: #Milroe

Leave him to recruit, expect a big year from him that highlights his athleticism more despite his passing acumen, and prepare yourself for the Quinn Ewers whirlwind that awaits the coming months.

RB - Jonathon Brooks (Hallettsville).

Current status: Wait mode.

Brooks, the long-striding three-star and recent pledge, sets the Horns floor. Texas would like to add one more tailback to the class. Camar Wheaton (Lakeview Centennial) and LJ Johnson (Cy-Fair) represent RB1 targets. Texas has a shot at both, but Johnson is open with numerous suitors and Wheaton remains an enigma as far as his recruitment goes.

Johnson is fine with joining a platoon of backs, but they have to be productive within that platoon. He knows UT has talented options. The positive is they should prove to productive. The negative is they have to be productive to land Johnson. He’d really set off inside zone for the offense and is being prioritized accordingly.

Wheaton, WHEATON.gif, who knows. If he woke up tomorrow and committed to one of a handful of schools it wouldn’t be shocking. UT is one of those schools. These are two entirely different backs but UT would be enthused with either.

WR - Casey Cain (Warren Easton - New Orleans, LA)

Current status: Lumbering

Texas has been slow out of the blocks recruiting the position this cycle. New position coach Andre Coleman is known as a developer while his recruiting chops remain to be seen. To recruit based on your reputation as a developer, you really need personal time with prospects, which Coleman has not had much of.

Ketron Jackson (Royse City) remains a target as Texas looks to close the gap in his pursuit. If he visits, UT could become a heavy favorite over night. Jaden Alexis (Monarch - Pompano Beach, FL) might be the surprise of the position in 2021. He’s being recruited very hard and Alexis could very well end up in the class. They’ll continue to pursue JoJo Earle (Aledo). Teddy Knox (Woodlands) will probably visit. JJ Henry (McKinney North) is ‘Tommy Bush’ as a guy who gets offered really close to signing day.

TE - Juan Davis (Everman), Landen King (Humble Atascocita): One is a great athlete, the other what a Flex looks like one year from college.

Current status: Square. Texas should be done after adding two guys with dual-threat TE upside.

OL - Hayden Conner (Katy Taylor)

Current status: Underachieving.

The in-state crop is stacked and UT doesn’t have much to show for it outside of the Big NASA. Conner’s a fine piece with versatility but given in-state resources and current footing with high upside targets, UT is underperforming. Herb Hand needs to plant his full foot in the class and gain ground. He’s not a new coach without prior relationships, so what gives?

If UT grabs Tommy Brockermeyer (Fort Worth All Saints) and James Brockermeyer (Fort Worth All Saints), this position will likely be viewed as a success. Bryce Foster (Katy Taylor) trending to OU isn’t ideal and Savion Byrd (Duncanville) is looking elsewhere as well. After missing on Donovan Jackson and running hot and cold on Reuben Fatheree, the staff is forced to cast a more national search. Fortunately there are solid in-state options that will become clearer over time.

DL - Ja'Tavion Sanders (Denton Ryan), Jordon Thomas (Port Arthur Memorial)

Current status: Hit & Miss.

When you land Sanders and Thomas it’s hard to complain but Clayton Smith (Texas High) committing to OU and Landon Jackson (Texarkana Pleasant Grove) to LSU were bad beats, at least so far. Both are flippable, but both require a strong 2020 season in Austin. Kelvin Gilliam (Highland Springs, VA) is in the mix, but Oklahoma is surging here. Arden Walker (Cherry Creek, CO) is one to watch if he visits. We feel the staff has a great chance with Shemar Turner (DeSoto), provided he sticks to his December timeline.

LB - Derrick Harris Jr (New Caney), Morice Blackwell (Arlington Martin)

Current status: Good with the potential to be great.

Linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler is showing upside as a coach and recruiter after landing Blackwell and putting Texas in a great spot with Terrence Cooks (Alvin Shadow Creek), who they have to get. Cooks is probably the most underrated player in the state. Harris Jr. best projects to Jack LB and has more upside than many give him credit for.

CB - None.

Current status: Patient

New cornerbacks coach Jay Valai has the personality to be a dynamic recruiter. His first big job is landing Ishmael Ibraheem (Dallas Kimball). UT is in it, which is a plus because he might be the state’s best. We think he’ll most likely remain in-state.

Deuce Harmon (Denton Guyer), Jamier Johnson (Muir - Pasadena, CA), Dejahn Wagner (Lackawanna CC - PA), and Ceyair Wright (Loyola - Los Angeles) represent potential additions, but all require work. Texas made up ground with Harmon, but A&M looks to still be the leader. Johnson is very fond of the Horns, but they’ll have to hold off Oregon and Colorado. Wright is a possibility, but Notre Dame probably leads here. He was scheduled to visit the weekend the virus hit the fan. We expect that visit to still take place. There’s slack in this recruitment.

DB - Billy Bowman Jr. (Denton Ryan)

Current status: Cautiously optimistic.

Bowman is the pound for pound best player in the state. He should legally change his name to Billy Badass Jr.

It took some time but JD Coffey (Kennedale) and Andrew Mukuba (Austin LBJ) appear to be the top two targets in the staff’s eyes. Coffey and Texas have been a natural fit for a while, even if it took the staff a little probing and prodding. UT has its hands full with Mukuba, with Clemson treating him like a legit take in its class. Mukuba does have some good reasons to stay closer to home, and we feel UT has a chance to win out especially if Clemson doesn’t have room. We think UT is Coffey’s most likely destination but not being able to get him to campus in a while hasn’t helped.

As we’ve written this week, we feel the season is going to play a massive role in determining the outcome of the class. For the sake of recruiting, Herman simply has to win. Laboring through the finish line like in recent classes will spell trouble for a class that will need all the late stage momentum it can rally. Doable.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2

If we have several former tOSU staffers, why is developing talent an issue?  How the hell is this a negative recruiting point?  I know stats are spewed to recruits because recruits are not doing the math on their own. But for f'k sakes, any coordinator worth his salt is going to field calls from the NFL or head coaching gigs elsewhere, so a successful program is not going to have coordinators that stay for extended durations of time. If recruits want the degree, find a school with strong academic programs and a broad alumni base. I don't want to know a players GPA and then read about their excitement for LSU and Orgeron.  Just stop with the academic angle.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, it’s not that we needed further proof that Jeremy Clark is a know nothing dipshit...

Outside of just being a petty little man, out of curiosity, why did my post warrant a neg, @LetYourNutsHang? Because if you disagree and want to defend the insight and sources of Jeremy Clark, I’m sure the rest of this board would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Outside of just being a petty little man, out of curiosity, why did my post warrant a neg, @LetYourNutsHang? Because if you disagree and want to defend the insight and sources of Jeremy Clark, I’m sure the rest of this board would live to hear your thoughts on the matter. 

maybe he is Jeremy Clark?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

(Mike Roach) The Roundup: Recapping another week in Texas recruiting

Another week of quarantine recruiting means a new round of offers and top schools for targets on the Texas board.  The staff remains hard at work in rounds of zoom meetings and video conferencing with recruits. The staff took this week to pepper the country with underclassmen offers, and Mike Yurcich identified a quarterback target for the 2023 class. 

Four prospects with Texas offers made cuts to their lists that Texas was included in. As always, we try to package this news weekly for you as a one-stop-shop of information and analysis.  We give you the latest on Texas recruiting in this week's edition of The Roundup.

NEW OFFERS

Shone Washington, DT, New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton (2022)

Bio: Washington wasted no time picking up interest from the top schools. The New Orleans prospect holds offers from Alabama, Florida, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, USC and Virginia. At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, Washington is not currently ranked.

Quotable: “It means a lot to me because I like how they play football out there.”

Film: Washington has a big frame but he moves well and shows a quick first step. He uses his hands well and plays with power at the point of attack. He’s strong in pursuit and anchors well against the run. Washington shows the ability to play through double teams and closes quickly in pass rushing situations. While he sometimes plays too high, he shows a strong motor and good toughness.

Tygee Hill, DT, New Orleans (LA) Edna Karr (2022)

Bio: Hill rose to prominence during a strong sophomore season at Edna Karr. The four-star prospect holds offers from Alabama, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Virginia. At 6-foot-2, 260 pounds, Hill is ranked as the No. 9 defensive tackle in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “I like the way they play and the number of players they put into the league. They have one of the best fan bases in college and they are rated as one of the best educational programs.”

Film: Hill shows great strength at the point of attack with the ability to anchor and eat double teams. He plays with strong leverage and can be disruptive at times. Hill plays with good technique and tackles well, and he shows good pursuit down the line. Hill shows scheme versatility up front, but he’s still sharpening the finer aspects of his game and motor.

Gracen Halton, DE, San Diego (Calif.) St. Augustine (2022)

Bio: Halton looks like one to watch in the 2022 class. The four-star prospect holds offers from Arizona State, Oregon, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, USC and Washington. At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Halton is ranked as the No. 14 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 20 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “I’m blessed. It means a lot to me. All glory to God. The offer is big to me. I have family that lives up there and I know it means a lot to them.”

Film: Halton has a great frame and moves all over the front for his high school team. Halton plays with great pad level and disengages from offensive linemen well. A disruptive penetrator who plays great in pursuit down the line. Halton shows great read and reaction skills and tackles well. Halton shows great versatility and plus athleticism as a two-way player.

Michael Daugherty, ATH, Loganville (GA) Grayson (2023)

Bio: Daugherty is in the middle of a recruiting blow up. The 2023 prospect holds offers from LSU, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Penn State and USC. At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Daugherty is not currently ranked.

Quotable: “The Texas offer means so much. It was one I’ve been looking at for a while. The great energy from coach Jay (Valai) stands out. He talks of being surgical and further traits that he brings to the table for DBs.

Film: Daugherty shows great athleticism and sudden ability. He’s aggressive at the corner and plays physically on the boundary against the run and pass. He shows the ability to shed blocks and make plays in run support. Daugherty is precise in his technique and changes directions smoothly. Daugherty tracks the ball well and shows the ability to play the ball in the air. He’s got great size and should grow into an elite defensive back.

Laterrance Welch, CB, Lafayette (LA) Acadiana (2022)

Bio: Welch recently exploded onto the recruiting scene with a big run of offers. Programs like Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Tennessee. At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Welch is not currently ranked.

Quotable: “It’s big. Some of my favorite players played for Texas.”

Film: Welch shows explosive hips with quick feet and strong technique. Welch shows great change of direction ability and plays strong in press coverage and run support on the boundary. Welch shows strong ball skills and good leaping ability to play passes in the air. Frame and athleticism show high upside package.

Max Garrison, RB, Pasadena (Calif.) St. Francis (2022)

Bio: Garrison is just starting to pick up offers. A three-star prospect, Garrison holds offers from Arizona State, Florida Atlantic and Texas. At 5-foot-10, 183 pounds, Garrison is ranked as the No. 3 all-purpose back in the country and No. 55 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports.

Quotable: “It honestly means a lot. Getting an offer from a program of that caliber with so much legacy is an honor.”

Film: Garrison plays on both sides of the ball and shows strong skill as a cornerback and running back. Garrison looks powerfully built on film and shows the versatility to line up all over the field. His quick feet and burst in short areas shows up no matter the position he’s playing and he could forecast to several positions at the next level.

Terrance Brooks, CB, Plano John Paul II (2022)

Bio: Brooks emerged this week as yet another big time defensive back in the 2022 class. In the last few weeks, Brooks picked up offers from Florida International, Houston, LSU, SMU and Texas. At 6-feet, 185 pounds, Brooks is not currently ranked.

Quotable: “It feels great going through this process. It’s exciting.”

Film: Brooks has a great frame and he shows strong ability at the private school level. Brooks reads and reacts well and breaks on the ball quickly. He shows good physical ability at the line and can play through run blocks on the perimeter. Brooks is versatile in his ability to play inside or out, and he shows the athleticism on field to suggest a high ceiling.

Malachi Nelson, QB, Los Alamitos (Calif.) (2023)

Bio: Nelson was a heralded signal caller since his eighth-grade year. The 2023 passer holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oregon and USC. At 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, Nelson is not currently ranked.

Quotable: “It means a lot. This is huge. The football history in Texas is crazy. They will always be a national powerhouse. Also, this is special because of coach Yurcich. I have a great relationship with him dating back to when I was in eighth grade and he was at Ohio State. It’s cool that he believes in me.”

Film: Nelson has a big frame with long arms and room to add weight. He shows a strong ability to unleash the long ball and throw it precise and on time. Nelson has the arm talent to throw to all levels of the field and his touch and accuracy are strong. An advanced passer, Nelson has a quick release and shows the ability to throw from multiple platforms.

Isaac Thompson, CB, Saint Louis (MO) St. Louis University (2022)

Bio: Thompson is already a heavily-recruited junior to be. The four-star prospect holds offers from Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Penn State, Auburn, LSU, USC and Northwestern. At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 23 cornerback in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in Missouri, according to 247Sports.

Film: Thompson has a long build and shows strong one-on-one ability at corner. He shows versatility to play both cornerback and safety, and he plays physically in the secondary. Thompson plays both ways, so his ball skills are strong, and he shows strong athletic ability on film.

TOP SCHOOLS

Ketron Jackson, WR, Royse City

Jackson cut his list of offers from 21 to 14 in the last week. Texas made the cut along with Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, TCU and several others. Jackson is planning to wait until the fall to decide, but he did tell Horns247 a few weeks ago that a summer decision could be in the works as well. Arkansas currently holds the only 247Sports Crystal Ball picks.

Byron Turner, DE, New Orleans (LA) St. Augustine

Turner cut his list to 12 schools with the Longhorns making it along with Texas A&M, Baylor, Florida, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Ole Miss, Kansas, Arkansas and Nebraska. Turner plans to take his time to narrow down a top five before taking visits and making his decision.

Andrew Mukuba, DB, Austin LBJ

Mukuba recently cut his schools to a Top 12 and Texas made the cut along with Alabama, Clemson, LSU and many others. Texas will go head to head with the aforementioned programs for Mukuba’s decision which could come this fall after he’s able to take visits.

Prince Kollie, LB, Jonesborough (TN) David Crockett

Kollie recently was offered by Texas and the Longhorns made his Top 10 along with Notre Dame, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Georgia and others. While the Longhorns were able to make the initial cut, they will have to work to get into the next cut.

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

The difference is we're getting hit much harder by negative recruiting this cycle. We can't sell staff stability anymore.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ruh roh

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Ha. The kid was pretty vocal recruiter, no? Guess he was using us for the BOMC bump

He was. This feels like there’s something nasty underneath going on that will spread to other recruits. BadFeeling.solo.